Login

russian armor

Comet

PAGES (9)down
25 Jan 2018, 01:16 AM

Has anyone honestly tried using it since it was nerfed a few patching ago? Every now and then I give it another shot but every time I really regret it or possible lost the match from wanting to try it. It literally does NOTHING well other than white phos support weps if you can even get it vetted as late as it comes. It has SEVERE problems being able to pen panthers and super heavys. but at the same time its too expensive to really risk it for flanking like mediums. Thats one thing ok its not good vs armor but it is TERRIBLE against Inf also. Try it for you self you can spend alll day shooting at infantry with it and in 5 shots maybe gib 1 model or 2.

I just hate how units get nerfed to fubar, it never beat panthers in AT the way it was before nerf that was a giant lie. Make something good about it please that outweighs the cost like maybe AI of that of the cromwell because right now it makes no sense to get the comet for anything it just sucks at everything relative to its cost.
25 Jan 2018, 04:15 AM

I know right? When are the brits going to get a dedicated unit to fight panthers and other heavies?
Also its great against anything below a panther (great armour, great pen, longer range) and its good against infantry too. Cant have it all at once contrary to its previous "no limit non doc pershing+" design capable of beating a panther in a slugfest 40% of the time but also more mobile and with better modifiers and the ability to fight infantry and the ability to click 2 times and kill any weapon team including AT guns who its WP outranged cause reasons...
25 Jan 2018, 07:21 AM

really? you want to win with a comet vs super heavys? take the Firefly and a the 6pounder and laugh about super heavys
25 Jan 2018, 08:27 AM

really? you want to win with a comet vs super heavys? take the Firefly and a the 6pounder and laugh about super heavys

This is correct.
The comet is (and was) not meant to counter Tank Destroyers as the Panther who have the sole role of countering tanks themselves.
It is meant to be some kind of a stock Tiger for the Brits meaning good AI and good AT (against mediums and below).
You also do not drive up to a supported Jackson with a Tiger.

It might have been overnerfed, but being able to defeat Panthers is not a good ground for complaints in my opinion.
25 Jan 2018, 08:42 AM

This is correct.
The comet is (and was) not meant to counter Tank Destroyers as the Panther who have the sole role of countering tanks themselves.
It is meant to be some kind of a stock Tiger for the Brits meaning good AI and good AT (against mediums and below).

It might have been overnerfed, but being able to defeat Panthers is not a good ground for complaints in my opinion.

yeah..i use the comet as a hit-and-run tank speedster and to kill some models with mostly every shot ..

its a super mobil tank with nice tools and perfomanche..but can´t deal alone vs a panther in a dog fight...only while moving...the panther wouldnt hit ..
25 Jan 2018, 08:51 AM

This is correct.

+1
25 Jan 2018, 09:03 AM

Seemed good to Me I used it in a couple team games Didnt even know it got nerfed seemed like the same ole devestating all arounder tank to me.

And brits do have a dedicated tank to take on Heavies its the Firefly and its very good at what it does.
25 Jan 2018, 11:03 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jan 2018, 01:16 AMRocket

It never beat panthers in AT the way it was before nerf that was a giant lie.

Now who is lying now :luvDerp:
25 Jan 2018, 16:43 PM

Comet has TERRIBLE penetration! If we fix this, then there is no problem.
25 Jan 2018, 16:48 PM

I have no Brits but what I see COmet has no its specific role.

Mediocre tank
25 Jan 2018, 16:55 PM

Your mis understanding, I am not expecting it to win vs super heavys and panthers in AT. But right now a panther can literally chase it down because comet is not going to pen it like 60-70% of time. There is just little for other thanks to fear from it. What I am saying is im not going to get a comet to fight mediums i can do that with at guns, cromwell, FF that all are much more use full then the comet. If i want Ai centuar or cromwell are waaay better at it than comet is. So wtf is the point of spending the side tech brits T4 and the cost of the comet to get something that cant really even make other armor fear full of diving me and it doesent make enough AI impact for me to get it either. It fuckin misses half the time firing at infantry an when it does hit maybe 1 or 2 models die, Axis infantry is not scared to just sit there and take hits from it, i would be more scared of cromwell, tiger any form, ez8, 3485 or p4 than it.

So either make this late game tank that cost a lot actually able to penetrate heavies and panthers so it can at least make them think a little about charging it or diving against it or make it actaully have at least the AI main gun potential of other mediums in the game.
25 Jan 2018, 17:06 PM

Its purpose is to take out at guns and fight tanks. The white phosphorus is there because brits only have rocket arty in one doctrine. If anything needs a buff, it is the regular churchill.

the comet is in a good spot. :)
25 Jan 2018, 17:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jan 2018, 16:55 PMRocket
Your mis understanding

an american that doesnt know the difference between your and you're :clap:
25 Jan 2018, 17:14 PM

This is correct.

Comparing a jackson and a tiger is not the same thing as comparing a panther and comet. Panther is a "tank hunter" not a tank destroyer, jagdpanzer is a tank destroyer, FF is, stug is, jackson is, su 85 is. Why is panther not a TD. Well because none of those other tanks either have the armor, health and OR speed to chase down wounded tanks and do it relatively safely because panther also has great escape helped further with a lot of popular docs abilitys (tact smoke, blitz). One of those above might have one of them but not all 3.

Also the TDs i mentioned above have almost 0 AI ability, panthers is not the best but it does have some the mg42 pintle is actually pretty good.

However I agree I dont expect it to out duke a panther as panther AI is not that great so thats the panthers good AT tank hunter niche. I just think comet was a bit over nerfed either in the penetration department or the AI department and it would be nice to be able to field it again but right now its just never worth it outshined by all the better tools that do their jobs more effectively.
25 Jan 2018, 17:30 PM

Its a very average tank FOR ITS COST. I kinda view it as a money pit for when I have tons of fuel. I think it's performance vs infantry is below par for the price you pay and it could have better hull mgs to compensate.

Within the faction a cromwell is perhaps 50% to 100% better vs infantry.
If you can manuever and use shot blockers to avoid AT gun fire the cromwell is much better purchase vs infantry and fine vs tanks with its better reload and veterancy. When theres tons of AT a comet may be better with the range and armor it has simply b/c you can troll from long range and be more annoying.

Compared to a panther, the main gun is better on a comet but the MGs are much better on the panther. Up close the panther can probably keep pace killing infantry for that reason.

I do think the Unit is worth buying for its combination of armor and speed but its sad to see it adjacent to infantry and unable to kill more than 1/2 models while a squad decaps and caps a point as was my experience recently.

It could and Should Receive Mg buffs so it can do more vs infantry when you are putting your vehicle at risk up close. Other than that the unit seems ok, Theres good parity in brit tank purchases outside the Chruchill to me right now but the comet does seem unwieldy outside of teamgames where you have tons and tons of fuel.
25 Jan 2018, 18:04 PM
Donator 11

IMO the range nerf rly pokes a hole in the comet as it cant effectively trade with the relevantly same cost panther. Especially with the Cloak rekten and the shear amount of volks blobs you can engage means its hard to strike simple blows that would make it worth the investment and micro.
The WP round nerf was a fair change but the pop cap increase means you lose more MP income meaning you'll get less field control which isn't necessarily a bad thing but when you include that, at the same time the accuracy/scatter changes(nerf) means you are less effective with the unit. a

I'm not suggesting any kind of buffs as its such a complex unit but it feels out of place for sure, its supposed to be okay at getting infantry but comes out at the same time (if not later sometimes) as the panther meaning most of the time its goint to be engaging with panthers and should be at least semi competent. With the gun states the way that they are means It simply cant do either of those engagements fairly well meaning most of the times you will see people opting for a simple cromwell or firefly to fill the caps in their line or b/c they are easier to replace and spam (meaning you can flank panthers).

Thats my two cents on it.

TLDR: its just too expensive in the brit tech tree (or not cost effective for its performance) and simply doesn't fit well into the current meta we have now.

25 Jan 2018, 18:45 PM
Donator 11

You can't spam comets only anymore and its not the answer to anything..too bad.

It is a very strong unit. Asymetrically (is that a word?) the comet and the panther have a direct rivalry.

A FF - Comet combo is very strong AT, it has build in superspeed and with phosphor you can dispose anything that uncloaks in front of you. Or block LOS which can be pretty neat sometimes if used correctly. :)
It is not the ideal infantry killer anymore but still not bad at all.

Imo utilizing its amount of flexibility still justifies its cost.

Also when playing OKW i just noticed ...unvetted raketens are pretty shitty against its frontal armor.
Noob move... :(
25 Jan 2018, 22:12 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

You know it has about the same pen as the Stug, an actual tank destroyer, right? They never even nerfed the penetration.
25 Jan 2018, 23:29 PM

Is coh2stats.hu still maintained? Where can I get accurate and up to date stats without looking into the files myself?

I'm tired of anecdotal bullshit of who pens whom the best and whatnot...

Just get pen and armor between the discussed units and divide them, boom. Noone would have to pull made up numbers out of their a**es but where's the fun in that am I right?
26 Jan 2018, 00:21 AM

I think the stats site is actually updating right now. I just checked and it lists Comet's range as 45 and move accuracy multiplier as 0.5, so the Comet's stats there should be reliable.
PAGES (9)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS