Login

russian armor

New player here - I'm having a hard time in MP.

3 Jan 2018, 14:36 PM

Greetings!

I started playing this game about three weeks ago and played against the AI a lot. I have also beaten most coop and solo ai challenges and battles on general.

Yet, when ich try MP out, I often get insulted for beeing a bad player.

I have played about 50 MP matches so far and I often cap teh most and play very aggressive, but I tend to lose vehicles and units far more than other players, because I don't anticipate some trap or I don't know to maps or some standard MP behavior.

Some of you might have played CoH for 15 years and know all ins and outs, but it is very hard to find good info, because so much is outdated or changed.

After downloading the mod tools, I tried to find die exact mechanics of units and ability, but I stuggle finding some stuff. Basic unit stats like HP, armor, speed and weapons I can find, but for example:

-How do the "Osttruppen" acutally work?

-What a good commanders to pick?

-Which "bulletins" affect exactly which unit?

-Do get brit inf bonus while in cover?

-Does it matter which infantery type captures a weapon? For example if I use Shocktroops to cap a PAK, I noticed that there are actually those guys manning that thing. Is the PAK now more accurate and if I fill up units with "conscripts", I noticed that they STAY conscripts. So it that actually worth it?

-Which is a good starter army for beginners? I find "Ostheer" more easy to play, but I stuggle with all allies. I have played to soviets the most, to learn how to play them, but it doesn't work out that good.

-How should I place an ISU-152?

Thank you very much and I would appreciate it, if you could point me in the right direction to finding answers.

Have a nice day!
3 Jan 2018, 15:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jan 2018, 14:36 PMWolves

...Yet, when ich try MP out, I often get insulted for beeing a bad player.

I have played about 50 MP matches so...

For a game that has been out for so many year you are "noob", but that is not a bad thing and it certainly does not give others the right to insult you.

I would suggest thou that you start by playing 1vs1 where you can learn faster. Then move to 4vs4 where a weak player has less impact in the game.

I would also suggest that you watch the replay to see how you opponent won. Then you can try the same tactic and see your opponent will counter it, and so on...

-How do the "Osttruppen" acutally work?

Ost work best in cover or garrison because they get a bonus accuracy.
(for a weird reason is they down to 2-3 and have picked weapon they have more damage out of cover because picked up weapon actually suffer a penalty when in cover.

-What a good commanders to pick?

Depends on you play style and faction for Ostheer the ones with g43s are considered good.

should be accurate for most units
https://coh2db.com/bulletins/index

-Do get brit inf bonus while in cover?

all infantry get bonus. ?In addition IS get penalty when out of cover, while Ro.E get bonus when in cover.

-Does it matter which infantery type captures a weapon?

re-crewed weapon have the base stat of infantry that crew the weapon. The also reinforce at that cost and have that pop.

Some give can be found here:
https://community.companyofheroes.com/categories/guides
3 Jan 2018, 15:20 PM

Hello!

Probably the most important thing starting off is building a good unit composition, using those units effectively, and taking good fights without bleeding too much manpower(fight when you can win, not for the hell of it, when your not winning anymore or if your not accomplishing anything.) It can also be important to use your units together, spreading out too much is good for map control but bad for winning fights. If you have to wait a bit thats better than running in 1 at a time.

Theres alot of guides available on the site that may help you learn more about the game, Theres also faction specific guides too

https://www.coh2.org/guides/category/1/beginner-guides

To see stats for a lot of the units, this is helpful, not updated to this patch but accurate for the prior one.
Cruzz's DPS calculator:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7gwy65JLbSRMEJ3M2ZPandMMW8/view?usp=sharing
(Download the file, open it with your browser)

The patchnotes usually have a lot of information in them, if it was changed this december its here, if not cruzz's file is accurate.(changelog or commander revamp).

https://community.companyofheroes.com/categories/forum-guidelines

This thread is good for mechanics some unit stats may be dated though

https://www.coh2.org/topic/36347/cruzz-s-the-more-you-know

I would also recommend watching twitch streams, many of the streamers can be quite helpful, and its good to watch good players

Hope this helps!

EDIT:
Also Im dumb and can't read so I misread "i can find basic stats" as "I can't find basic stats" Still hope this is helpful :snfCHVGame:
3 Jan 2018, 15:36 PM

Thank you so very much!!!

Now I have to dig through all of that info and share it with other new players.

I just wanted to post a quick thank you.
3 Jan 2018, 15:51 PM

A key thing in CoH2 compared to other RTS is unit preservation. It is the utmost important to fallback to save squads, and to not lose tanks. In high level play losing a tank can mean you lost the game, same with losing a squad or two. Additionally a majority of the game is positioning and using cover, less "super micro" that my friend keeps trying to attempt.

Since you are new, try to fallback your squads at 33% healthish. When tanks hit the field try not to clump up your squads because tanks wipe easier the more clumped squads are (Yellow cover). Additionally, tanks fire in a straight line, meaning if you are in heavy cover (Green) the tank must first destroy the cover before it hurts your squad (Unless tank flanks it, then it can wipe your clumped squad).

Standard MP behavior is a tug of war of them falling back and you falling back and of whoever can win more and hold more ground longer typically wins the game. In truth, he who loses the most stuff near the 20-30 min mark is the person who truly loses the game.

As for easiest to play, USF or OKW both have a low skill floor but USF has a really high skill ceiling. Soviets and Ostheer are versatile and straight forward, but OKW can be considered a better Ostheer in some cases.
3 Jan 2018, 16:07 PM

Greetings!

Greetings!

Watch replays and use observation mode to spectate high ranked players if you can find their games.

I didn't begin to understand coh gameplay until I started watching replays and listening to mp3s people posted on gamereplays back in the day.

I would caution watching streams since you're not in control of what you're seeing and it's all in control of the streamer. Try and watch streamers ingame in obs mode if you can. Being in control of the game and what you're watching is actually immensely useful to getting used to the games feel.

Helps train you in map awareness and navigation too.
3 Jan 2018, 16:56 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Greetings!

I started playing this game about three weeks ago and played against the AI a lot. I have also beaten most coop and solo ai challenges and battles on general.

Hi there!

AI games tend to be work our very different to how MP games. In my experience, against AI you only survive the first wave of medium tanks. After that the AI tends to waste resources on non-sensical unit and you have won. Human players tend to not do that ;P

For the first ten games on the ladder you are basically paired with player of a random skill-level, which often tends to result in somewhat frustrating games. These are the so called placement matches. This eventually does get better. This process, however, starts over for every game-mode, team or faction you are playing. So, even while you did 50 games, it seems likely that most of those still were placement games.

Like the other said, I think 1v1 is best to learn the mechanics, but be aware that gameplay does differ for the higher game-modes (e.g. 4v4 has an incredibly short to non-existing "light vehicle phase" compared with 1v1).

See link above, but frankly the bonuses are typically considered mostly relevant.

-Does it matter which infantery type captures a weapon? For example if I use Shocktroops to cap a PAK, I noticed that there are actually those guys manning that thing. Is the PAK now more accurate and if I fill up units with "conscripts", I noticed that they STAY conscripts. So it that actually worth it?

Well... The performance of the team weapon itself does not change as far as I know. So, the MG or PAK manned by Osttruppen will perform exactly like one manned by Fallschirmjägers. However, the models that are not actually operating the weapon itself do in fact carry over (some of) their original performance. So, when an MG is manned by Shocktroops, damage or suppression of the MG does not change, but the 5 dudes standing around the MG will have pretty high near DPS so the MG becomes harder to flank.

Downside, however, is that they also carry over their costs, so normally it is not considered worthwhile to man weapons with elite infantry; typically, you would try to use the cheapest squad you have around instead.

4 Jan 2018, 06:45 AM

Hi there, and welcome to the game. As others have already stated, it's definitely not easy to learn, and you' ll meet lots of assholes. You know what though ? Fuck those assholes.

Best advice: play lots,play all factions, and read all the guides, for all the factions.

Take breaks; playing obsessively can lead to burnout.

Overall, again, as someone has already said, the best thing to focus on is unit preservation. Don't create one massive blob, since it'll be harder to retreat just one or two units. Also, keeping your forces in smaller groups allows you to flank better.

Learn to use cover, and learn that charging in isn't always the answer. Sometimes you let them come to you.

That said, microing infantry versus armor are two very different things. Learn that difference; and try to imagine this as actual warfare.I mean, don't dive in with your armor thinking you'll make quick work of the enemy. You need to advance with infantry, screen with infantry, and follow up with armor.

As far as infantry, learn which ones are better at what ranges. Hence, read all the guides. There are short range troops and long range troops. If you don't use them the way you're supposed to, you'll probably just lose them. That's true of all units though. Knowing the effective range of anything will help a lot.

Last thing, learn the basics of keyboard shortcuts. It' ll save time and make your tactics smoother.
Vaz
4 Jan 2018, 07:29 AM

You came to the right place. However, coh is a fairly toxic environment. Many people get stressed out of their minds from the frustration and will say lots of mean things to vent their frustration or whatever intense emotion. Dod't take it seriously. However, I would recommend that you start with 1v1, because you'll learn faster and people will get angry at you for dragging a team down. 1v1 tends to be less toxic in my experience as well.
4 Jan 2018, 08:35 AM

I recommend playing as OKW. It's the easiest faction with the least downside. It's core infantry is cheap and effective. It's got the best mid to late game gameplay. It's tank are extremely good. PZ4 eats infantry and panther can push back any allied tank with eases. The best part that it's the most forgiving faction since most of the time you will be placed with good players, and if you mess up, they will likely pick up the slack. There's been timed when I've been afk and my team managed to take on the allies and even beat them. Especially in 4v4.
4 Jan 2018, 09:43 AM

^ Nice trolling there.
4 Jan 2018, 19:45 PM

I just wanted to thank you again for your input.

I can understand that CoH is just a game and sometimes you have to leave or leave the PC for something really important.

But this in a game, that means people play it to enjoy it.

If you disrespect your fellow players, by beeing afk, you are robbing them of their enjoyment.

---

OKW can't handle some problems I have in the early game. Maybe I'm too bad a player, but I have lots of problems dealing with heavy advanced defense positions.

---

Yes, this seems to be the right place and I hope I can give back some day.
Vaz
5 Jan 2018, 03:33 AM

Head over to the strategy section for specific tips and someone will help you or point you in the right direction.
5 Jan 2018, 05:35 AM

Yet, when ich try MP out, I often get insulted for beeing a bad player.

From your post you know more about this game than anyone you are playing with.

RTS PLAYERS RULEBOOK
Rule #1: In team games blame your team mates for losses. Call them noobs and drop from the game early.
Rule #2: In 1v1 matches blame the map. All maps suck and are imbalanced is your battle cry. Then drop.

DR MOREAU'S 4v4 PLAYERS GUIDE
1) Do not lose squads, tanks, and especially team weapons.
2) Do not feed veterency to your opponent by not retreating. Soft retreat if you can.
3) If you are OKW or USF be more aggressive. OST or Brits be more defensive. Try to synergize with you teams army build.
4) Do not over extend your army. Push to far and you may lose everything.
5) Never put more than one unit on a point! Always keep your army spread a little even when attacking.
5) Pick commanders with heavy call in tanks or plane surveillance. Late game is all big tanks and artillery. You will either need to protect the last VP with a big tank or take out the arty piece on the other side of the map that is killing all you have.
6) Support your team even though they will not reciprocate. If possible help pushes they are making. Sometimes send a team weapon to their area since you do not have to micro it as much. It will get lost and they will not warn you because they are noobs. If they are getting attacked help them before they get rekt because your army will be next to get rekt.
7) If pushing the fuel is not working, do not feed vet to the enemy. Attack elsewhere or secure another VP usually mid. Also make fuel caches on points to offset the lost fuel if possible.
8) Make a mobile diverse army early. If the fuel gets held by MGs early start spamming mortar.
9) Make blobs. They work in team games. Dudes. Tanks. Whatever.
10) If you want a high score but lose on VPs, blob and retreat until the game is over. You will hold no VPs or fuel but will have a great score so you can blame your team.
11) If planes start rekking everything make anti-air out of your tier 2 building. OKW can now also engage its tier 4 for 60 seconds.
12) Push fuel hard and fast. Or be prepared to MG and mortar fight to regain the fuel.
13) Try to offset your infantry so that squad A runs over a point and partially takes it so squad B can finish taking the point. Dont stop to take points early and let the enemy get good position. Get to Da choppa!
14) Thou shalt not walk on all fours!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS