Login

russian armor

Map Contest Status?

21 Sep 2017, 22:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Sep 2017, 20:36 PMwuff
Community maps are certainly a good thing, and I believe rotating one into the rotation each month would be execellent.

This idea has merit. It is probably too much work for Relic on a monthly basis. Also people will get upset having to update the game every month. Like I just spent 15 minutes looking at a update screen DansGame
22 Sep 2017, 16:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Sep 2017, 22:02 PMRosbone

Good is different to each person depending on if they win or lose on the map. And since no one plays the maps until they are in rotation...we will never know if they are "good" until then. And 98% of people that play would not know why a map is good or bad most likely.

After all of the complaining from the 1v1 map contest, I cant understand why no one cares enough to load each map for 2 minutes and look around in it. Then report back what looks good/bad. People will spend hours complaining but not 20 minutes to help make the maps better.

:thinking: "and why would Relic abandon this community...?"

With all the people who talk strategy everyday, I would think they would welcome opening a map and trying to think of ways to abuse it using each faction. Is it wide open? Is it all close quarters? Are points in Red cover? Are the major points balanced from side to side? Are buildings on top of cutoffs? Late game, are units going to be all clumped together getting wiped by arty? Will infiltration units be effective? There are only a handful of basic questions.

The fact that the official map feedback forums are locked to new users posting is not helping. Not sure if you need a certain post count or administrator approval or what.
22 Sep 2017, 17:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Sep 2017, 19:04 PMAndy_RE
Hey guys,

Just linking to our most recent update here in case anyone missed it.

https://www.companyofheroes.com/blog/2017/09/19/2v2-map-making-contest-update-9

Cheers all,

Andy

Thanks for the update Andy! Keep it up!
22 Sep 2017, 20:43 PM

The fact that the official map feedback forums are locked to new users posting is not helping. Not sure if you need a certain post count or administrator approval or what.

I am not sure what you mean by locked. The very first post I ever made was on the map feedback forums. Do you have to verify your account thru email before you can post?
24 Sep 2017, 17:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Sep 2017, 20:43 PMRosbone

I am not sure what you mean by locked. The very first post I ever made was on the map feedback forums. Do you have to verify your account thru email before you can post?

I am able to post on other forums, interestingly enough.

I registered in like, 2013.
2 of 5 Relic postsRelic 27 Sep 2017, 18:52 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Hey guys,

Just a quick update that we've announced a supply event that will run from tomorrow until Sunday in order to support the map contest.

We've also updated the in-game UI.

More info here: http://www.companyofheroes.com/blog/2017/09/25/2v2-map-making-contest-supply-event

Thanks all,

Andy

27 Sep 2017, 22:12 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

27 Sep 2017, 22:22 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

A supply incentive for good feedback is a great idea.
28 Sep 2017, 07:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Sep 2017, 18:52 PMAndy_RE
Hey guys,

Just a quick update that we've announced a supply event that will run from tomorrow until Sunday in order to support the map contest.

More info here: http://www.companyofheroes.com/blog/2017/09/25/2v2-map-making-contest-supply-event

Thanks all,

Andy

Its nice to have a supply incentive for giving feedback on the new maps, but there isn't really much to spend the supply on now.

Whens that fall balance patch coming ;)
29 Sep 2017, 21:15 PM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Sep 2017, 18:52 PMAndy_RE
Hey guys,

Thanks all,

Andy

Good initiative, let´s hope it attracts enough players...
3 of 5 Relic postsRelic 6 Oct 2017, 00:52 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Hey folks,

Friendly reminder that tomorrow is the final submission deadline for the contest.

Final selection process to begin soon!

Andy

13 Oct 2017, 01:57 AM

Are you good at making maps? Do you want to spend 60+ hours making maps so they can sit on someones hard drive never to be seen by human eyes? Then join the Relic Uber-incompetent map making journey! At each stage Relic will surprise you by being even more inept than the last stage! By level 5 you will pray that the community could get the source code from these dolts and free us of their tard bondage. Watch as they turn their back on their sole source of income, their customers.

Is this a COH2 mini-game?
13 Oct 2017, 02:00 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Oct 2017, 01:57 AMRosbone
Are you good at making maps? Do you want to spend 60+ hours making maps so they can sit on someones hard drive never to be seen by human eyes? Then join the Relic Uber-incompetent map making journey! At each stage Relic will surprise you by being even more inept than the last stage! By level 5 you will pray that the community could get the source code from these dolts and free us of their tard bondage. Watch as they turn their back on their sole source of income, their customers.

Is this a COH2 mini-game?

It wouldn't be funny if it wasn't... so true.
17 Oct 2017, 21:36 PM

The new maps have been put up on the relic steam account. Its either a miracle or massive confusion on the way the contest rules are laid out that it took this long. They should have been up by the 9th or 10th. However, the contest states "OCT 18th Picking the winners begins" so maybe that meant we are not going to post maps until the 18th???

Either way checkout the new maps and the latest blog post:
Oct 17th Map Blog Update
17 Oct 2017, 22:01 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

Yup.

This maps are in the finale round:
Rural

Alliance of Defiance
Poltawa
Fields of Winnekendonk

Urban (we have four maps as there was a tie vote)

Stalingrad Station
Bialystock Market
Stadtschutt
Bugtenbach Lake

Industrial

Reichswerke
Normandy
South Orkney
17 Oct 2017, 22:16 PM
18 Oct 2017, 00:51 AM

Voted.

I find it odd that Butenbach Lake is in the Urban Category, but whatevs. I'm guessing it's based on building set rather than visuals?
18 Oct 2017, 15:58 PM

Voted.

How did you vote only a couple hours after the maps were put up? Did you go thru all 10 maps and play them multiple times? Kappa
18 Oct 2017, 21:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Oct 2017, 15:58 PMRosbone

How did you vote only a couple hours after the maps were put up? Did you go thru all 10 maps and play them multiple times? Kappa

Many of the finalist maps have either not undergone significant changes and many of them I believe to have fundamental design issues.

So given the selection of finalist maps, I only needed to play a few maps to see what had changed. And even then there weren't many noticeable changes.

As such, it wasn't hard to vote. There was a clear winner for each category. If the voting process asked for the finalist maps to be ranked in their categories, or not separated by 'visual' category it would've been a whole other story.
19 Oct 2017, 01:13 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

Many of the finalist maps have either not undergone significant changes and many of them I believe to have fundamental design issues.

So given the selection of finalist maps, I only needed to play a few maps to see what had changed. And even then there weren't many noticeable changes.

As such, it wasn't hard to vote. There was a clear winner for each category. If the voting process asked for the finalist maps to be ranked in their categories, or not separated by 'visual' category it would've been a whole other story.

They weren't changed because we received 2.5 actual feedback phases. (original submission, week 4, and then final) and the final phase would be the .5 cause most of the feedback was so last second unless you were a god you wouldn't be able to integrate and test the changes in the time left before submissions.)

the steam collection wasn't updated for over a month due to relic, and they skipped an entire phase on top of that.

These maps all could've been much better, but who is going to invest time in these if Relic wont even run the contest properly?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★