Login

russian armor

Maxim.

30 May 2017, 00:16 AM

So the two major nerfs were setup time and suppression. The thing is, now it takes a normal amount of time to set up, but about an hour to suppress squads so its not really worth building anymore in my opinion. I just wantto hear thoughts on it balance-wise, and I want to add that my opinion comes both from using it and having it used on me.

I am prepared for the salt on both sides that will ensue from this thread (I think).
30 May 2017, 00:38 AM

It definitely feels like it could could use a bit more suppression. A reduction on build time from 28 to 26 would also be nice just to keep things normalized.
30 May 2017, 00:41 AM

It is up to the balance fellas to decide exactly what to do with it (and I am sure they will do a good job), but I agree - it doesn't feel like a 260MP MG now.
30 May 2017, 01:19 AM

It is up to the balance fellas to decide exactly what to do with it (and I am sure they will do a good job), but I agree - it doesn't feel like a 260MP MG now.

Especially when the 42 is 240 lol. This is why every game as soviets is just penal spam, because cons get no effective mg support early game anymore.
30 May 2017, 02:33 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Should make the MG better suppression but again, lower the squad count from 6 to 4 like all other MG teams. 6 men are to durable and can with buffed suppression can be used as an infantry substitute. That and PLEASE for the love of conscripts give them some love :*(
30 May 2017, 03:47 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Especially when the 42 is 240 lol. This is why every game as soviets is just penal spam, because cons get no effective mg support early game anymore.

It's also 260 since they added it to hq building like 2 years ago.
30 May 2017, 07:17 AM

I don't play soviets but I can say in team games all Maxims ends being salvaged

Players who build them end up without them. Also they (players) have very low K/D ratio that allow OKW player fast thech - fast upgrades

All OKW players just laugh at them

Only one time (recently) I 've seen good expample of their usage - its when all of my troops were fighting in front of 2 maxims. Lol. But where SOv could get MP to have units in front of them?

Compare to penals - effectivness of penal is out standing allowing to get important control of any map. Bleed opponents. Have M3 to burn HMGs in buildins, ALl of said above slows opponents tech which is key to success.

its been already mantioned that "new" maxims deals half less damage for same ammount of time than before
30 May 2017, 07:37 AM

Who needs penals if you can play Rifles or Tommies? :snfPeter:
30 May 2017, 12:18 PM

Rifles need upgrades Otherswise they goes toe to toe with OKW inf then lose , lose initials engagmnt vs OKW due to can't get avdantagious position in time.Rifles start to lose when Grens get Upgrades too..

SO they are Ok but not OP.
30 May 2017, 12:30 PM

My point is you were in need of maxims playing, e.g., paired with USF. Now when maxim sucks (I remember like 2 bursts in spios at mid let them go out of cone of fire unsuppressed), you should go penals. But why go penals if you can go rifles by yourself with much more utility (nade + snare + smoke) and access to racks? I see no reason playing soviets right now (don't say 'lend-lease') because as allies you must start to win early to win the whole game, and with other factions you can do it better.
30 May 2017, 13:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 May 2017, 03:47 AMTobis

It's also 260 since they added it to hq building like 2 years ago.

Shit I always thought it was 240 for some reason; I only ever build one right at the start of the match, so that's probably why.
jump backJump back to quoted post30 May 2017, 12:30 PMHater
My point is you were in need of maxims playing, e.g., paired with USF. Now when maxim sucks (I remember like 2 bursts in spios at mid let them go out of cone of fire unsuppressed), you should go penals. But why go penals if you can go rifles by yourself with much more utility (nade + snare + smoke) and access to racks? I see no reason playing soviets right now (don't say 'lend-lease') because as allies you must start to win early to win the whole game, and with other factions you can do it better.

That's the conclusion I've come to about the soviets too. Penals are the most boring infantry spam too, because they have almost 0 utility.
30 May 2017, 16:45 PM

It's overshadowed by the Dushka.

The maxim is now more dependant on conscripts to negate flanking manouvres and reinforcements, which can be difficult to attempt at first but is not impossible.

However, when you get it to vet2 and activate the suppressive fire ability, you've got yourself some excellent targets for the infantry or artillery. Even a nonvetted MG42 is slightly worse than that.
30 May 2017, 23:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 May 2017, 16:45 PMA table
It's overshadowed by the Dushka.

The maxim is now more dependant on conscripts to negate flanking manouvres and reinforcements, which can be difficult to attempt at first but is not impossible.

However, when you get it to vet2 and activate the suppressive fire ability, you've got yourself some excellent targets for the infantry or artillery. Even a nonvetted MG42 is slightly worse than that.

It's not overshadowed, one of the two is overperforming like crazy (basically doing what the old Maxim did but even better), and the other one is literally worthless. Probably the only MG that does not get stolen because it's just a waste. Definetly an overnerf, does not provide any suppression at all.
30 May 2017, 23:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 May 2017, 23:00 PMGarrett

It's not overshadowed, one of the two is overperforming like crazy (basically doing what the old Maxim did but even better), and the other one is literally worthless. Probably the only MG that does not get stolen because it's just a waste. Definetly an overnerf, does not provide any suppression at all.

I know I haven't stolen a maxim since the patch.
31 May 2017, 05:54 AM

The new Maxim is worthless garbage, and I'm saying this having mostly played Axis since the last patch. You can literally just run your volks up to one and throw an incendiary grenade in its face. It takes a long burst and a half to actually suppress you, and even more to pin you. Almost every Soviet player nowadays just spams penals, and I can't blame them because it's the only strategy that works anymore.

That said, I actually like the new Maxim. I like the wider arc and the new vet 1 ability. All it needs is a suppression buff.
1 Jun 2017, 23:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 May 2017, 05:54 AMKothre
The new Maxim is worthless garbage, and I'm saying this having mostly played Axis since the last patch. You can literally just run your volks up to one and throw an incendiary grenade in its face. It takes a long burst and a half to actually suppress you, and even more to pin you. Almost every Soviet player nowadays just spams penals, and I can't blame them because it's the only strategy that works anymore.

That said, I actually like the new Maxim. I like the wider arc and the new vet 1 ability. All it needs is a suppression buff.

I agree, once I was flanked by Grens, I saw it and turned it around and they walked into the "trap". Turned out, they could just walk into it, riflenade it and after like 15 secs were still not fully pinned which allowed a second squad to come up from behind and kill it. That was awesome. And I also like the change, however it will be hard to balance the Maxim and the Dshka against each other when you buff the one (which is needed) and nerf the second (which is also needed).
2 Jun 2017, 03:52 AM

Yeah, at the moment single squads can just run straight at a Maxim deployed outside a building and win with nades, which makes no sense.

One idea might be to keep the current stats, and buff the range, without buffing the sight radius.

That gives it back some kind of uniqueness, and also forces synergy with other forces (cons?) for providing the actual sight and allowing it to win engagements. This also means it can't just run off alone and win things, so maxim spam remains un-viable.

However I'm not sure if out-ranging axis MGs would cause other problems, such as the ability to run cons into an MG42 then have the Maxim open fire from outside the range of the 42...
2 Jun 2017, 04:29 AM

^
sounds like Vicker vet1 OP Garrison for me FailFIsh .
2 Jun 2017, 04:54 AM
Benefactor 392

So the two major nerfs were setup time and suppression. The thing is, now it takes a normal amount of time to set up, but about an hour to suppress squads so its not really worth building anymore in my opinion. I just wantto hear thoughts on it balance-wise, and I want to add that my opinion comes both from using it and having it used on me.

I am prepared for the salt on both sides that will ensue from this thread (I think).

you lose a bit of supression but you gain that glorious arc.

still not the worst MG out there... *stares at the hmg34*
2 Jun 2017, 16:35 PM

Cant we just give it a supression bump in green cover? Then it can hold an area IF set up properly, not just attack moved. Cons can make greem cover so there is no reason to not be able to dig in...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS