Login

russian armor

MG34

12 May 2017, 14:33 PM

If you listen closely through the roaring sound of those MGs you can hear the Vickers and Maxim silently crying in the corner.

Vickers still has insane dps for a stock mg (not quite as good as the .50 though) but its suppression is very lacking at all stages of the game. Two volks running straight at it about 10m apart will definitely be able to nade it. I would literally rather have mg34s than maxims now.

@OP I think that the mg34 is definitely a subpar mg in general, but it also has the misfortune of being compared to the mg42, which is an outstanding mg. The 34 deals hardly any damage but I think its suppression is serviceable, and you do have stgs out the ass to back it up as well. One of the most frustrating things in teamgames is when an ost and okw set up an mg42 on key battle areas (fuels on red ball for example) and have volks and sturm(s) in support, because without mortars, it's extremely hard to break. That still holds true later in the game as well, but if okw got a good mg like the 42, it'd be wayyy worse.
12 May 2017, 14:36 PM

The MG34's biggest problems are that it comes late, takes AGES to vet and faces allied infantry which probably has Vet one and maybe even some weapons/nades.

Tho i dont want to make OKW into OST, it might be better to have the MG in base building but behind a side tech cost.

That way it would be like USF teching nades (which OKW dont have to do).

The fact that okw gets powerful assault troops, the kubel, and an at gun (only marginally useful, but still there) right off the bat means that they really shouldn't get a t0 mg. Might as well make isgs and obers t0 too if you go that route kappa.
12 May 2017, 14:54 PM

I once heard somewhere that MG34 actually had a slightly (Like, very, very small) higher suppression value compared to MG42... Also, agree with Hector on this one: OKW's raw firepower is already very good in most of its units (Obers, tanks, etc.), increase the damage of MG34 would just be more salt to the wound... the Allies wound...
12 May 2017, 14:58 PM

Permanently Banned

I do think the mg34 should be delayed but I also think it comes too late for its availability to make a meaningful change to the way OKW is played.

OKW players go for 3/4 volks and a kubel because thats all they can build until they tech. I agree that a MG34 being available at the start is too much with Sturms as the starting unit, thats why i think a side tech for the unit would be a good place for it. Side teching (for a fuel + MP cost) for the mg34 would slow down OKW proper tech but still mean they can get access to an mg faster if they wanted too.

Remember that while Axis MG's are better (generally) than Allied one, Axis also have worse mainline infantry than Allies. Soviets are strange atm, but with the current meta penals act as soviets mainline.

Lets talk about openings.
OKW : volks/kubel if need sturmpio, raketen. You can spam one unit or combine them.
USF : rifles/RE/mortar. Can spam rifles and RE or use combine, if need mortar (but its only vs hmg and static unit in cover, imo better dont build it.)
Brits : tommi/vikers/carrier. Looks like only brits have strong combine early game coz tommi + vikcers + carrier, but ts expencive units.
Osther : pio, hmg, grens, mortar, sniper. Spam, combine army, but without light vehicles.
Soviet : cons, pio, t1 or t2. Many openings but with tier its slow and cost MP.
So what we see, OKW are not best, but not worst.

Maybe mg need vs penals in early game for OKW, but to get a lot penals need a lot MP, OKW will be better with early push and map control (but depends on map maybe). Side teching will be block faust coz fuel, its will be mean more problem with m3/m20 cpz build raketen is to hard or plants mines.

Dont agree about infatrys. To be best infatry, allies need a lot time and amo + fuel. Axis infatry have some + coz thay get upgreides are in teching. Main problem for ostheer its 4 man, compared to brits its dont look good. But we forget that teching and units from it make infatry strong with synergy.
12 May 2017, 15:22 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

OKW : volks/kubel if need sturmpio, raketen. You can spam one unit or combine them.
USF : rifles/RE/mortar. Can spam rifles and RE or use combine, if need mortar (but its only vs hmg and static unit in cover, imo better dont build it.)
Brits : tommi/vikers/carrier. Looks like only brits have strong combine early game coz tommi + vikcers + carrier, but ts expencive units.
Osther : pio, hmg, grens, mortar, sniper. Spam, combine army, but without light vehicles.
Soviet : cons, pio, t1 or t2. Many openings but with tier its slow and cost MP.
So what we see, OKW are not best, but not worst.

Maybe mg need vs penals in early game for OKW, but to get a lot penals need a lot MP, OKW will be better with early push and map control (but depends on map maybe). Side teching will be block faust coz fuel, its will be mean more problem with m3/m20 cpz build raketen is to hard or plants mines.

Dont agree about infatrys. To be best infatry, allies need a lot time and amo + fuel. Axis infatry have some + coz thay get upgreides are in teching. Main problem for ostheer its 4 man, compared to brits its dont look good. But we forget that teching and units from it make infatry strong with synergy.

Holy crap I agree with Vasa. The biggest issue with MGs while I'm playing is when a squad runs into an mg while trying to cap, gets suppressed and then is still able to fully decap and capture a point while under MG fire because it just decided not to pin. As seen in Miragefla's video, both MGs are capable of pinning at max range relativly quickly, so I don't understand how a squad can decap and then cap while under continuous mg fire. It's not because they're sitting in green cover either. At the very most they're all in yellow, but sometimes they don't even have cover. This applies to all MGs as well, not just axis.
12 May 2017, 16:18 PM

Didn't vote, but the mg34 needs to be supported by good LOS, to work good. If the enemy closes in on the mg34 own LOS it has a difficult time doing its job. But if it sees the enemy coming then it works good. The mg42 on the other hand has a bit more advanatage in that area of needing less LOS.

Between all MGs, I'd rather steal a vickers, once vetted I love wiping units on retreat. It's a long range sniper
12 May 2017, 16:34 PM

Hello there fellow players and forum friends!

I find it odd, since I find the MG34 to be anything but 'almost the same as the 42'.

You want 230 MP gun to compare with 260 MP? You want mg42 clone? What are you trying to get at ?
12 May 2017, 16:46 PM

You want 230 MP gun to compare with 260 MP? You want mg42 clone? What are you trying to get at ?

Now when does the mg42 arrive and when does the mg34 arrive?
12 May 2017, 16:47 PM

The poll is biased btw. Yiur post is talkig anout the supression while the poll ssays which hmg is superior. Ofc its hmg42 because of better damage.

It was designed like this on purpose, because okw has many close range infantry squads that can finish suppressed infantry by closing in

Yes which suppression platform is superior? A suppression platform deals damage right? Now our lovely mod claimed the mg34 is about the same as an mg42. I can see that literally no one in the polls thinks that.

Shocker!
12 May 2017, 17:05 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Yes which suppression platform is superior? A suppression platform deals damage right? Now our lovely mod claimed the mg34 is about the same as an mg42. I can see that literally no one in the polls thinks that.

Shocker!

They're different prices and in different factions, what do you expect?
12 May 2017, 17:16 PM

Shocker!

Muragefla never said their the same. He said they are almost the same suppression wise
12 May 2017, 17:36 PM

Permanently Banned

Holy crap I agree with Vasa. The biggest issue with MGs while I'm playing is when a squad runs into an mg while trying to cap, gets suppressed and then is still able to fully decap and capture a point while under MG fire because it just decided not to pin. As seen in Miragefla's video, both MGs are capable of pinning at max range relativly quickly, so I don't understand how a squad can decap and then cap while under continuous mg fire. It's not because they're sitting in green cover either. At the very most they're all in yellow, but sometimes they don't even have cover. This applies to all MGs as well, not just axis.

Vision and fog of war, i think problem are with models, coz in Miragefla videos mg see all models of squad, but in game you can see only few models or only few models are in range ? ALso thats why how mg get countered like write Vipper 2 squads attack from 2 different ways, one get pinned, another not.
12 May 2017, 17:56 PM
Strategist Badge

I'm not really disagreeing with you vasa, my point is not that by the time you get the mg34 out, there is plenty on the field to sideline it.

A small side tech to give access to the mg early at a similar price for USF to tech nades would IMO give a greater verity of openings.
12 May 2017, 18:22 PM

Pios got sight range. Invaluable for mgs.
12 May 2017, 18:25 PM

Muragefla never said their the same. He said they are almost the same suppression wise

Almost the same and about the same are the same. He said that they are the same suppression wise and only differ damage wise, which comes down to almost the same or about the same.

Stop twisting my words.
12 May 2017, 19:39 PM

Almost the same and about the same are the same. He said that they are the same suppression wise and only differ damage wise, which comes down to almost the same or about the same.

Stop twisting my words.

Im not twisting your words, you were twisting his.

!Now our lovely mod claimed the mg34 is about the same as an mg42. I can see that literally no one in the polls thinks that.Dangerous-Cloth

12 May 2017, 20:57 PM

Permanently Banned

I'm not really disagreeing with you vasa, my point is not that by the time you get the mg34 out, there is plenty on the field to sideline it.

A small side tech to give access to the mg early at a similar price for USF to tech nades would IMO give a greater verity of openings.

Okey, lets look at situations from another side, why we dont give with same point HMG for USF ?
12 May 2017, 21:01 PM

Im not twisting your words, you were twisting his.

!Now our lovely mod claimed the mg34 is about the same as an mg42. I can see that literally no one in the polls thinks that.Dangerous-Cloth

It says it right there ABOUT THE SAME as an mg42. That is what he said in the shoutbox. He claimed that the suppression is the same for both mgs and that the difference is the damage. That is ABOUT THE SAME.

If you can't understand these words, then whatever.
12 May 2017, 22:28 PM
Strategist Badge

Okey, lets look at situations from another side, why we dont give with same point HMG for USF ?

From Base building?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS