Option Distribution Votes
0%
87%
7%
7%
Total votes: 45
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
12 May 2017, 08:35 AM

Hello there fellow players and forum friends!

I had an interesting conversation with one of the main balance modders in the chatbox. It boiled down to me claiming that the MG34 was a subpar suppression platform that can't hold its own by the time it arrives. Our modder didn't agree and proclaimed the following:

• MG 34 only lacks damage
  • the 34 has almost the same values as the 42
  • and from weapon tests in the open, they perform about the same

I find it odd, since I find the MG34 to be anything but 'almost the same as the 42'. I would like to hear your opinions about this! How do you feel about the MG34? In all honesty, I feel it is currently better than the Maxim, but still a subpar MG nonetheless.

If you vote, could you care to explain why you chose your answer?
12 May 2017, 09:07 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Personally I think for it cost, it is great for what it does. It could use a very minor suppression bonus at most. Most Mgs will have trouble with blobs but it is cheap enough that it can be doubled up when facing large blobs.
12 May 2017, 09:17 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Feel free to critique this test, but here's a 34 vs a 42:

12 May 2017, 09:26 AM

I suspect both are partially right. Hmg34 is good at dealing with 1 infantry but due to low accuracy it should have trouble pining more than 1 squad.
12 May 2017, 09:40 AM

If you listen closely through the roaring sound of those MGs you can hear the Vickers and Maxim silently crying in the corner.
12 May 2017, 10:15 AM

If you listen closely through the roaring sound of those MGs you can hear the Vickers and Maxim silently crying in the corner.

vickers is far superior to the mg34. idk about the maxim tho haven't tried the new one
12 May 2017, 10:16 AM
Strategist Badge

The MG34's biggest problems are that it comes late, takes AGES to vet and faces allied infantry which probably has Vet one and maybe even some weapons/nades.

Tho i dont want to make OKW into OST, it might be better to have the MG in base building but behind a side tech cost.

That way it would be like USF teching nades (which OKW dont have to do).
12 May 2017, 10:18 AM
Strategist Badge

Yeah you also have to take into account the superior allied mainline infantry. Plus the vickers is actually beastly, just doesn't suppress blobs/units in heavy cover well.
12 May 2017, 10:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 May 2017, 10:15 AMAlphrum
vickers is far superior to the mg34.

And MG42... Even before it lost it "OP" AoE effect

12 May 2017, 11:44 AM

Permanently Banned
The MG34's biggest problems are that it comes late, takes AGES to vet and faces allied infantry which probably has Vet one and maybe even some weapons/nades.

Tho i dont want to make OKW into OST, it might be better to have the MG in base building but behind a side tech cost.

That way it would be like USF teching nades (which OKW dont have to do).

I dont agree, he arrive in right time, when infatry from all side get to battle and cap the map. OKW just have different playstyle. Build med and you have mg at 4-5 min when can begin positions wars. ALso dont forget that OKW have good early game (not vs all openings)
12 May 2017, 11:45 AM

Permanently Banned
Make test of all HMG, lets see how they look compared to each other.
12 May 2017, 11:51 AM

Does RA affect Supression? How much is yellow cover affecting the Supression for both mgs? Because im rather Stunned how well the mg34 perfoms in a vacuum, because ingame it feels like the mg34 is really lacking in what it should do:faint:
12 May 2017, 12:18 PM

Does RA affect Supression? How much is yellow cover affecting the Supression for both mgs? Because im rather Stunned how well the mg34 perfoms in a vacuum, because ingame it feels like the mg34 is really lacking in what it should do:faint:

Suppression modifiers vs cover:
0.1 green
0.5 yellow
1 nothing
1.5 red.

Chance to hit (target size/Accuracy) does not affect suppression but is does affect AOE suppression where the unit has to actually hit the target infantry in order to create AOE suppression. (as far as I now vehicles no longer count)
12 May 2017, 12:23 PM
Strategist Badge

I dont agree, he arrive in right time, when infatry from all side get to battle and cap the map. OKW just have different playstyle. Build med and you have mg at 4-5 min when can begin positions wars. ALso dont forget that OKW have good early game (not vs all openings)

I do think the mg34 should be delayed but I also think it comes too late for its availability to make a meaningful change to the way OKW is played.

OKW players go for 3/4 volks and a kubel because thats all they can build until they tech. I agree that a MG34 being available at the start is too much with Sturms as the starting unit, thats why i think a side tech for the unit would be a good place for it. Side teching (for a fuel + MP cost) for the mg34 would slow down OKW proper tech but still mean they can get access to an mg faster if they wanted too.

Remember that while Axis MG's are better (generally) than Allied one, Axis also have worse mainline infantry than Allies. Soviets are strange atm, but with the current meta penals act as soviets mainline.
12 May 2017, 13:08 PM

stuff

In game, the MG 34 feels like it fires rubber bullets. However, the 50 cal is also a bit meh and the new maxim is worse. What should be the standard for MG's?
12 May 2017, 13:17 PM

if mg34 gets buffed, i expect volks to get nerfed. OKW is supposed to have powerful infantry and weak support weps and ostheer goes the opposite way round and remember its dirt cheap too, basically does not need buffs. but OP yh mg42 is FAR superior to the mg34.
12 May 2017, 13:21 PM

MG34 arrives just a bit too late to be effective. The unit is actually quite good if it can keep pace with Allied infantry, but right now that's impossible.

It should either receive some slight tweaks, little more DPS or suppression, or it should come a bit earlier, potentially after the first truck is built but not yet deployed.
12 May 2017, 13:26 PM
Strategist Badge

MG34 arrives just a bit too late to be effective. The unit is actually quite good if it can keep pace with Allied infantry, but right now that's impossible.

It should either receive some slight tweaks, little more DPS or suppression, or it should come a bit earlier, potentially after the first truck is built but not yet deployed.

yeah leave it be, i think its fine for the cost, i would simply like faster access to it so i dont have to build at least 3 volks every single game. (side tech plz)
12 May 2017, 13:33 PM

Buffing mg34 with current okw is nothig but insane stupidity. Do you want to fight uphill battle against best hmg best tanks and best infantry ?
12 May 2017, 13:35 PM

The poll is biased btw. Yiur post is talkig anout the supression while the poll ssays which hmg is superior. Ofc its hmg42 because of better damage.

It was designed like this on purpose, because okw has many close range infantry squads that can finish suppressed infantry by closing in
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★