Login

russian armor

Unfair garrisons on cut-offs or important resource points

5 Apr 2017, 16:58 PM

Almost all maps have this issue where one side has this unforgiving garrison on either its cut-off point(s) or some important resource point. Some maps even have an important garrison parked right next to a base entrance. Where you spawn is beyond your control, yet you can get punished simply by spawning on the wrong side and having to dislodge your enemy from the garrison, or you have to guard it yourself or risk having it taken by your opponent.

This annoying dynamic is present in almost all maps and can throw your entire game off. The results can vary from map to map, but most of the time when these garrisons are taken by your opponent, you are on the back foot. It can either mean that your opponent can efficiently camp your cut-off and decap it , efficiently camp your fuel/muni and decap it, or camp your base entrance. This will result in you having a significantly harder time.

This needs to change for it is simply unacceptable. Is it possible that the fixing of these situations on maps could be added to a future patch?
5 Apr 2017, 17:11 PM

I'll make a list of most of the garrisons that make or break the game.

1. South church on Arnhem.
2. North wooden house on Kholod Ferma.
3. Lost Glider in general. Full health stone houses, impossible to destroy middle church.(G E N I U S)
4. Semiosky Summer in general, good luck if you don't have flamers LOL.

Add more if you have them. I'm sure you all have them
5 Apr 2017, 18:04 PM

Having a garriosn on the cut off can autolose you the game if you don't have building clearance (Ie OKW and to a degree brits)
5 Apr 2017, 18:16 PM

agree, but every faction has be designed to get building clearance method.

okw get free tech fire nades on volks, probably the best grenades in the game for their price.

brits get an awesome mortar emplacement, that can clear every single building until the end of the game and get a few wipes on ennemy squads.

I am not even speaking about the commanders brits & okw that give flamthrower.
5 Apr 2017, 18:43 PM

agree, but every faction has be designed to get building clearance method.

okw get free tech fire nades on volks, probably the best grenades in the game for their price.

brits get an awesome mortar emplacement, that can clear every single building until the end of the game and get a few wipes on ennemy squads.

I am not even speaking about the commanders brits & okw that give flamthrower.

You do understand that if someone camps your cut off you will never get that truck or mortar pit up as fast as you normally will? This means more resources for them, less for you, faster tanks for them and gg.

What kind of reliable strategy is it to pick one doctrine every game because map design is flawed and places big ass buildings on your cut-off, muni/fuel points or on the entrance to your base?
5 Apr 2017, 19:03 PM

I have never understood why almost every fuel/cutoff needs an overlooking house

and the existence of stone houses in general
5 Apr 2017, 19:17 PM

I wouldn't be sad if all garrisons suddenly disappeared. However, if a cutoff garrison does exist, it should be on the defending side of the point (so defenders can cap the cutoff and retreat to the garrison if attackers show up, but if an attacking squad is capping the point, a defending squad can get into the garrison before the attacking sqaud sees them. Ideally, the defender's side of the garrison would be a blind spot as well. The same should hold true for important resource points that are clearly on one side or the other (as opposed to the points that are roughly on the centerline).
5 Apr 2017, 20:30 PM

what i am saying is that it's the same for everyone, whatever the faction or even map side.

one side got a building near its cutoff, but the other got a longer distance to reach middle vp (just an exemple)

at the end, it's always the same issue : Adapt or whine but whining won't make you win.
5 Apr 2017, 22:06 PM

what i am saying is that it's the same for everyone, whatever the faction or even map side.

one side got a building near its cutoff, but the other got a longer distance to reach middle vp (just an exemple)

at the end, it's always the same issue : Adapt or whine but whining won't make you win.

Blizzards were also the same for everyone. People complained until they were removed and thank god they were. They spoiled gameplay.

The claim here is that buildings are spoiling gameplay.

If everyone took your advice, there'd be no complaints and no improvements. So stop whining about people raising important issues.

To OP:

The bottom right fuel on Moscow winter/summer compared the upper left is an issue.
6 Apr 2017, 03:46 AM

Rotate building 45 degrees. Problem mostly solved.
6 Apr 2017, 04:18 AM

Eh, it's not terrible almost every map is designed with some sense of symmetry involved so it's almost always fair.

1. South church on Arnhem. ( There is a large building with several windows on north side)
2. North wooden house on Kholod Ferma. (wooden house by munitions in south)
3. Lost Glider in general. Full health stone houses, impossible to destroy middle church.(Church is central, each side has a similar building by cut-off and fuel)
4. Semiosky Summer in general, (agree, along with most Urban maps, but Vetos exist for a reason and if you get rekt so hard then you should have doctinal flamers in your loadout)

Furthermore if you know a building is important then you should rush for it and claim it early - if your opponent is going for it then respond similarly - if you lose an important garrison then it's just being outplayed.

The ONE exception I'll say is Team Games on certain maps with Soviet teams who will Cheese it up with Urban Defense (I'm looking at you Dusseldorf Church) Forward HQ on Stone Churches is just cancer. Honestly I think all faction engineers should have a demolish garrison ability for tactical garrison denial (especially when facing Infiltration Spam)
6 Apr 2017, 05:18 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Eh, it's not terrible almost every map is designed with some sense of symmetry involved so it's almost always fair.

1. South church on Arnhem. ( There is a large building with several windows on north side)
2. North wooden house on Kholod Ferma. (wooden house by munitions in south)
3. Lost Glider in general. Full health stone houses, impossible to destroy middle church.(Church is central, each side has a similar building by cut-off and fuel)
4. Semiosky Summer in general, (agree, along with most Urban maps, but Vetos exist for a reason and if you get rekt so hard then you should have doctinal flamers in your loadout)

Furthermore if you know a building is important then you should rush for it and claim it early - if your opponent is going for it then respond similarly - if you lose an important garrison then it's just being outplayed.

The ONE exception I'll say is Team Games on certain maps with Soviet teams who will Cheese it up with Urban Defense (I'm looking at you Dusseldorf Church) Forward HQ on Stone Churches is just cancer. Honestly I think all faction engineers should have a demolish garrison ability for tactical garrison denial (especially when facing Infiltration Spam)

While there is some symmetry in maps, the only blatant symmetry I see is on Halbe. I'd personally love Halbe if it had a few more sight blockers and removed the massive strips of red cover down the middle of the map. Also for your 2nd example, what wooden house by southern munitions? It's a narrow path of red cover leading to right side fuel and south VP.
6 Apr 2017, 07:52 AM

I find it annoying that currently your first unit has to be used to rush to the most important building (especially in team games) to occupy it for your upcoming MG (sucks to be OKW).

This simply takes A LOT of variety out of the game because there is a point on the map where everybody is going in 9 of 10 times.
6 Apr 2017, 09:24 AM

Eh, it's not terrible almost every map is designed with some sense of symmetry involved so it's almost always fair

+1

say whatever you want on relic balancing, but they did a very good job at map balance (at least the one that they imported from VCoh).

6 Apr 2017, 10:30 AM

I find it annoying that currently your first unit has to be used to rush to the most important building (especially in team games) to occupy it for your upcoming MG (sucks to be OKW).

This simply takes A LOT of variety out of the game because there is a point on the map where everybody is going in 9 of 10 times.

yep..
6 Apr 2017, 10:34 AM

Couldn't we just weakon garrisons? I mean sure, garrisons have a cool factor and making them weaker than green cover will probably lead to people avoiding them, but I never understood why garrisons are so much stronger than green cover.

I am really sceptical regarding map changes, relic is really reluctant with those.
6 Apr 2017, 10:35 AM

Garrisoned MGs should not be allowed to re-position themselves automatically whilst in garrison. A garrison with an MG shouldn't be able to auto defend itself automatically when flanked.
6 Apr 2017, 10:44 AM

Blizzards were also the same for everyone. People complained until they were removed and thank god they were. They spoiled gameplay.

Removed along with deep snow, and still noone plays winter maps :loco:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 11
unknown 9

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak