Login

russian armor

Increase Tank Trap Footprint? AI and Hidden Units Help?

19 Feb 2017, 20:06 PM

Is there a way to increase the footprint of tank traps?
The AI can get threw any crack, even ones that the tank doesn't "fit".
Also they go between the trap and the physical map!
So if I can increase its radius that it blocks, maybe that will fix this issue.

Another thing is even when my snipers, or pathfinders and "hidden" and not shooting, the AI knows right where they are. There are no planes, no other snipers around, based on detection grid ability, and their mortars snipe them, or their tanks just roll on up and run over them.
So does the AI have the ability to "see" hidden units by default?
20 Feb 2017, 10:13 AM
Modmaker Badge

About AI:

I worked a lot in my mod with the AI and "yes" AI is cheating you :)
Dont remember now vanilla values but it is possible to modify this behavior.

20 Feb 2017, 11:53 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Fun fact: Hard and expert AI see through the fog of war, and expert AI also sees camouflaged units ;)
Their resources are also multiplied. You can change all this in ai_settings.
20 Feb 2017, 13:54 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Making tank traps block a larger area might look very strange. Have you tried decreasing their spacing when building a line of them? That would be "spacing_distance" in the construction_ext.
20 Feb 2017, 15:22 PM

Fun fact: Hard and expert AI see through the fog of war, and expert AI also sees camouflaged units ;)

Ah, I see.
I haven't modded AI since CoH 2.301 or somewhere around there.
Can you point me in the right direction?
I don't mind the resource multiplier, but I would like to remove the FoW and camo'd visibility AI cheat.

Planet Smasher, I didn't change the spacing, units already get "stuck" in between them, and I made them vaultable so I can get them out, but sometimes they can't vault them, so I'm forced to ... eliminate ... the offending squad.
20 Feb 2017, 16:42 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I think you could also use "alternate_sua" in the entity_blueprint_ext - make a new sua file with higher values in "scale" and insert it there. That might also cause infantry to get stuck, though. It's possible that the issue rather lies in the vehicles being too small.
20 Feb 2017, 17:22 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Ah, I see.
I haven't modded AI since CoH 2.301 or somewhere around there.
Can you point me in the right direction?
I don't mind the resource multiplier, but I would like to remove the FoW and camo'd visibility AI cheat.

This is an overview of the AI settings with the camo and fow options highlighted:

(Expert is called hardest)

EDIT: You should choose the 'default_skirmish_hardest' at the left-side menu (not the one which I selected, but they have the same options)
20 Feb 2017, 21:50 PM

That... Explains a lot of things really.
Wow Snek You really know your stuff!
20 Feb 2017, 22:16 PM

Wow SneakEye, it's that easy, I was totally expecting to have to edit each factions AI file.
This is much nicer. Looking forward to testing it out!

total_domination_skirmish_* is for both annihilation and victory point games yes?

Planet Smasher, edited the "spacing_distance" to 0.5; hopefully packing them closer will allow me to build more in those problem areas where they slip threw so very annoyingly...

Forgot to mention, is there a way to change the repair animation the engineers use to repair Tank Traps to the blowtorch, vs them digging, as they do now?
21 Feb 2017, 07:50 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

total_domination_skirmish_* is for both annihilation and victory point games yes?

I think is separate, but I'm not sure...

Then default_skimish would be victory point and total_domination_skirmish would be annihilation.

Edit: I will test this tomorrow. I'm going to change the resource income to 0,1 and then watch the replay and see what the AI gets per gamemode.

Forgot to mention, is there a way to change the repair animation the engineers use to repair Tank Traps to the blowtorch, vs them digging, as they do now?

The repair animation is set in the repair ability and that depends on the entity type. Buildings get the digging animation and vehicles get the blowtorch animation. You can change the type in the entity or change the requirement in each repair ability.
21 Feb 2017, 16:17 PM

Then default_skimish would be victory point and total_domination_skirmish would be annihilation.

The repair animation is set in the repair ability and that depends on the entity type. Buildings get the digging animation and vehicles get the blowtorch animation. You can change the type in the entity or change the requirement in each repair ability.

K, I changed both just in case, also "False"d the "Pathing" options that monkeyed with detection of a bunch of stuff. Always wondered how they could move in and sit just outside my mortar range, like they knew exactly how far it could shoot... turns out they did!.. bastards.

Changed tank traps to "vehicle" type from building, you are awesome.
17 Mar 2017, 18:32 PM

Another thing is even when my snipers, or pathfinders and "hidden" and not shooting, the AI knows right where they are.

Not really, they go near them and try to uncover them but when you stay in that place for longer the AI gives up and goes to different direction. I never had problems with snipers or camo units vs AI.
Also Jpz4 is insanely effective when camouflaged, AI can't use attack ground so you're almost invincible.
19 Mar 2017, 15:22 PM

Not really, they go near them and try to uncover them but when you stay in that place for longer the AI gives up and goes to different direction. I never had problems with snipers or camo units vs AI.
Also Jpz4 is insanely effective when camouflaged, AI can't use attack ground so you're almost invincible.

Perhaps that is so, but I know they did not "see" them manually by going near them.
However, doing what SneakEye said and editing the AI files I now have ZERO issues with my camouflaged snipers getting killed like they used to. (mortar "sniped", vehicle run over, enemy squad making a B-line right to them)

It has been a really nice change, now I can have my sniper / pathfinder units "go prone" and crawl their way to vantage points and not be detected via AI Voodoo.
22 Mar 2017, 16:57 PM

Planet Smasher's idea of modifying the spacing would look the cleanest.

A little trick that we learned while creating the WBP is that you can actually modify the hitbox of any entity by specifying a different animator as an "alternative_sua" under "entity_blueprint_ext"

For instance, if you want to change the effective size of a tank-trap to become equal to a Soviet HQ, you input the Soviet HQ animator in the relative field of the tank-trap ebps.

Unfortunately, you cannot alter hitbox sizes; you can only reuse pre-existing hitboxes.

Incidentally, this is exactly what we had to do to fix Teller mines exploding prematurely.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS