Login

russian armor

Commando stens

25 Jan 2017, 04:22 AM

Not sure if this should go in balance or what.

Recently I learned that the commando's ambush bonus doesn't properly apply in the live version of the game. Before, I thought "wow commando stens must be really trash because even with a huge accuracy buff they don't do super amounts of damage", but now I seem to notice a lot of inconsistancy with their stens' dps for some reason. Sometimes it does good damage, (thompsons are kinda my reference point here, as suppressed stens are actually supposed to have a little more dps, around 16 vs 14) but other times it seems to do not much at all. Not even sure if I'm right or what, just wanted to put this up. Thoughts?
25 Jan 2017, 11:46 AM

Your error starts from using Thompson as reference. Thompson are weapon upgrades and not default weapons and thus they over-perform especially at mid.

Use the shock PPsh as reference and you will see that commando stens are fine.
25 Jan 2017, 12:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jan 2017, 11:46 AMVipper
Your error starts from using Thompson as reference. Thompson are weapon upgrades and not default weapons and thus they over-perform especially at mid.

The stens are not 'fine' due to the broken ambush modifier in live, it and they are fixed in WBP and makes ambush very lethal.

You just have to get in the enemies face to use them, I love using them as they allow you to be really sneaky and get in a lot of wipes, anything above close range and I don't bother with the engagement which is, I suppose, how they should be.
25 Jan 2017, 12:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jan 2017, 12:15 PMLatch

The stens are not 'fine' due to the broken ambush modifier in live, it and they are fixed in WBP and makes ambush very lethal.

You just have to get in the enemies face to use them, I love using them as they allow you to be really sneaky and get in a lot of wipes, anything above close range and I don't bother with the engagement which is, I suppose, how they should be.

Almost instant wipe out from camo does not actually help game play and that is why Wer camo bonus was nerfed (and is further nerfed with WBP camo changes.

Actually you do not have to be close they have the same DPS up to range 10.

They are far better than Shock PPsh at range 20.

Smg actually should be weapon that are good only at close.
25 Jan 2017, 13:59 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

They have crappy vet compared to all other infantry units so they fall short after long games. But they still have nuke nade coming from stealth which balance it out.
25 Jan 2017, 14:19 PM

They have crappy vet compared to all other infantry units so they fall short after long games. But they still have nuke nade coming from stealth which balance it out.

Don´t forget vet 3 smoke nade on retreat and predator cloak moving from cover to cover.
25 Jan 2017, 15:18 PM

This thread's point is not "sten underpowered", but was created because I feel like there is some inconsistency with thieir damage even at extreme close range for whatever reason. Does anyone know why?
25 Jan 2017, 15:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jan 2017, 11:46 AMVipper

Even if I use cons ppsh as damage reference they seem to deal much more steady and reliable damage than stens sometimes. It's strange. Either I'm somehow missing some random mechanic like a huge reload time or... I don't know.
25 Jan 2017, 15:58 PM

the camo bonus in live some times make move without firing...
25 Jan 2017, 16:08 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Don´t forget vet 3 smoke nade on retreat and predator cloak moving from cover to cover.

Vet3 smoke on retreat is mostly a gimmicky. I'll rather have normal smoke nade only and normal veterancy bonuses.

OP was asking why they feel that they deal inconsistent dps. One of the reasons is vet. While most units get 30%/40% acc + cooldown/reload modifiers + RA, they get 25% acc and passives which don't affect direct combat.

The other reason is bugged ambush bonus. After WBP they will feel a lot better.

I've been recently been gifted the UKF, and the times i use commandos (infiltration) is to wipe support weapons n low model squads. For direct combat, they are mostly to ambush units after using their nuke nade. I don't expect much from their Stens.
25 Jan 2017, 18:37 PM

Vet3 smoke on retreat is mostly a gimmicky. I'll rather have normal smoke nade only and normal veterancy bonuses.

OP was asking why they feel that they deal inconsistent dps. One of the reasons is vet. While most units get 30%/40% acc + cooldown/reload modifiers + RA, they get 25% acc and passives which don't affect direct combat.

The other reason is bugged ambush bonus. After WBP they will feel a lot better.

I've been recently been gifted the UKF, and the times i use commandos (infiltration) is to wipe support weapons n low model squads. For direct combat, they are mostly to ambush units after using their nuke nade. I don't expect much from their Stens.

Thank you somebody actually got what I was trying to say. Stens are supposed to have 16 dps at close range according to coh2.hu, but it often doesn't feel like that to me for whatever reason. I'm just trying to figure out why, or if it's just me.
26 Jan 2017, 01:04 AM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

IIRC you can't rely on DPS calculations from stat.coh2.hu
26 Jan 2017, 01:05 AM

IIRC you can't rely on DPS calculations from stat.coh2.hu

Yep. That's unfortunately true :(

You can rely on stat.coh2.hu to provide you accurate results for single-shot weapons (e.g., rifles), but not burst weapons (e.g., SMGs). Just click on the link in my signature, and get yourself a DPS calculator.
26 Jan 2017, 04:43 AM

Yep. That's unfortunately true :(

You can rely on stat.coh2.hu to provide you accurate results for single-shot weapons (e.g., rifles), but not burst weapons (e.g., SMGs). Just click on the link in my signature, and get yourself a DPS calculator.

Ah that sucks.
26 Jan 2017, 09:32 AM

i really enjoy sending a squad to cap a VP and find my squad being wiped by camod nando with nade. I play mostly brits and that shit is broken
26 Jan 2017, 23:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jan 2017, 09:32 AMDAZ187
i really enjoy sending a squad to cap a VP and find my squad being wiped by camod nando with nade. I play mostly brits and that shit is broken

This thread has nothing to do with nades. However, I mean, if you just shove a squad off in the direction of a point and redirect your attention elsewhere, they might get wiped. Tough luck. Sometimes, I will actually throw a nade or shoot a riflenade at a solitary squad thats engaged in combat on one of the fringes instead of a squad I know he's looking at and currently micro-ing.
27 Jan 2017, 14:54 PM

However, I mean, if you just shove a squad off in the direction of a point and redirect your attention elsewhere, they might get wiped.Sometimes, I will actually throw a nade or shoot a riflenade at a solitary squad thats engaged in combat on one of the fringes instead of a squad I know he's looking at and currently micro-ing.

Really ? so ur reply is i must rifle nade one of his squads elsewhere while he nades me ? LOL

do u even know how long the animation is for a commando to throw a nade? vs a rifle nade? :snfPeter:
28 Jan 2017, 00:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jan 2017, 14:54 PMDAZ187

Really ? so ur reply is i must rifle nade one of his squads elsewhere while he nades me ? LOL

do u even know how long the animation is for a commando to throw a nade? vs a rifle nade? :snfPeter:

No, that's not what I said. I said that I'll purposely throw nades at squads I know he's not microing. It was separate from nades being thrown out of camo.
29 Jan 2017, 16:39 PM

OK I think I know what the problem is. When you tell commandos to attack something while they are moving (without issuing stop command first) they spin around and then begin attacking, even if the target is right in front of them. Is this a bug? Also, can someone confirm it? I will be watching for it with my next few games.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★