Login

russian armor

Artillery

Do you feel some artillery units are too dominant in this game.
Option Distribution Votes
72%
28%
Total votes: 46
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
14 Oct 2016, 19:59 PM

I think some of the artillery units in game are too potent, often Single–handedly wiping out the whole unit composition of the opponent.

It starts from highly accurate early mortars such as the GrW34, M1-81mm, HM38 and the British pit, and ends up with wiping machines such as calliope and katyusha.

This is a list of overpowered artillery pieces in game, which totally negate the core concept behind this game; Unit preservation and Veterancy.

Light Artillery
17 Oct 2016, 21:05 PM

Permanently Banned
This is indeed a core issue, which is outshadowed by other balance flaws and bugs.
17 Oct 2016, 21:57 PM
Patrion 14

The matress is actually overperforming and perfectly capable of wiping full health squads easily.

Since it's also not listed, I have to assume that the katy (probably the only balanced vehicle arty) is not balanced. Also the pack howie would be unbalanced according to the list, which also seems not quite right as it is in most cases not that good, especially for it's cost and pop cap. It's auto attack range is also only 80 (mortar range) but unlike mortars it does not increase with vet. Vet as a matter of fact does not improve the auto attack in any way, only the barrages improve with vet.

The panzerwerfer is also not really a build and forget squad wiping machine in my book :/

The most drastic offenders in my book are some that you identified

- gw34
- m81
- brit mortar pit (also due to the fact how hard it is to counter due to brace and it is near impossible to take out with a bofors protecting it)
- 2+ isgs (mainly due to the problem that you cannot contest them due to okw t4 and t2)
- walking stuka (not mainly due to its damage but its durability, the 15 fuel difference to the other two is more than made up for in damage, it is the strongest of all non-doctrinal vehicle based artillery units and it can hit the field the earliest, also taking into account teching cost it is significantly cheaper to get than the panzerwerfer or katy)
- matress
- calliope (too durable)
18 Oct 2016, 13:07 PM

And basically everything else is broken, build&forget squad-wiping doom machine.

I fail to see how the ML-20 is supposed to be so much more powerful than the leFH 18. Not to mention that the GrW 34 and the PM-41 are directly balanced to each other, meaning that the GrW 34 outperforms the PM-41 in terms of raw numbers for the sake of fighting squads with more models.

Additionally, neither Katyusha nor Panzerwerfer could ever be build'n'forget weapons simply due to their design. Especially the Panzerwerfer requires risky behaviour to succeed, which in turn means that is has to have the possibility of a significant pay-off, considering the investment risk.
18 Oct 2016, 13:35 PM

I think static arty shouldn't be lumped with the mobile versions.

Why? Because the moment you fire that first barrage your on the countdown to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZZ504TGDpE
18 Oct 2016, 13:48 PM

They most balancd mobile arty is Katysuha.

PzWerfer and Stuka are fine.

Mattress is bit too good for cost.

Calliope is pure bullshit.
18 Oct 2016, 17:35 PM

Permanently Banned
LuL do you really think that katysha are wipe machine ?
18 Oct 2016, 17:56 PM

I've said it multiple times before, I'll say it again.

The Mortar pit needs to be replaced with a mobile mortar squad and made into just a garrisonable emplacement which gives bonuses at vet 1 to both the vickers and the mortar(s), simple as that.
19 Oct 2016, 12:26 PM

I've said it multiple times before, I'll say it again.

The Mortar pit needs to be replaced with a mobile mortar squad and made into just a garrisonable emplacement which gives bonuses at vet 1 to both the vickers and the mortar(s), simple as that.

That actually would be easy to implement: The trench that comes with the Brits is the same one that Ostheer has in some doctrines. And before the Brits arrived, it was possible to station mortars in those trenches. And now you might guess why Relic removed that? Yes, of course: Because they were incapable of fixing a bug with Ostheer's vet1 artillery ability "Counter Barrage" that appeared in combination with the trench. Instead of simply disabling the ability while inside a trench. Classic Relic move...
19 Oct 2016, 13:09 PM

That actually would be easy to implement: The trench that comes with the Brits is the same one that Ostheer has in some doctrines. And before the Brits arrived, it was possible to station mortars in those trenches. And now you might guess why Relic removed that? Yes, of course: Because they were incapable of fixing a bug with Ostheer's vet1 artillery ability "Counter Barrage" that appeared in combination with the trench. Instead of simply disabling the ability while inside a trench. Classic Relic move...

Actually, that thing has already been there, in a mod for a few months now. Just under the radar, since none of the people I managed to convince to get involved had the time to complete it:
- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=679152285&searchtext=sim+city
- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=696397870&searchtext=nmsc

(I had 0 idea how to create my own mods back then)

Someday I might go back to it to complete the original vision (the one that A. Soldier perfectly describes). However, for the time being I'm too busy with the QoL mod.
19 Oct 2016, 18:22 PM

Permanently Banned
Mobile art are op now, static art is crap now and easy killed.
19 Oct 2016, 22:04 PM

I know, and it's already been done like Smith said.

We just need to make Relic actually implement it now, but seeing as they can't simply just copy paste some stats over from a community made mod to the real deal...

Not expecting anything less from DoW III sadly.
19 Oct 2016, 22:38 PM

FYI not complaining, just wondering so I can better adapt to it. Which axis artillery is the one that seems to lift up the whole earth in succession for about 10 seconds. Is it one of the zeroing abilities?

20 Oct 2016, 02:13 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Oct 2016, 22:38 PMClerv
FYI not complaining, just wondering so I can better adapt to it. Which axis artillery is the one that seems to lift up the whole earth in succession for about 10 seconds. Is it one of the zeroing abilities?

OH:
-Close the pocket: this is the one you are probably referring to. If there is any territory affected by a cut off, as long as it stays on that condition, armageddon will rain upon your enemies on those territories.
-Sector artillery: not as strong, but heavy hitting, this ability has the "problem" of only affecting own territories. A proper "get out of my yard" ability.

OKW:
-Assault Artillery (Breakthrough): as long as your objective is near a flag zone, it's a fine ability to use
-105mm Barrage (Scavenge): scales with munition count. Don't expect it to be a doomsday weapon for it cost, but it's really effective as a denial area tool.
-Zeroing artillery: too expensive for what it does. It requires a setup (maintaining LOS) and unless you use it against immobile targets, your opponent have several time to move up (it starts slow but then speeds up)

20 Oct 2016, 03:23 AM

OH:
-Close the pocket: this is the one you are probably referring to. If there is any territory affected by a cut off, as long as it stays on that condition, armageddon will rain upon your enemies on those territories.
-Sector artillery: not as strong, but heavy hitting, this ability has the "problem" of only affecting own territories. A proper "get out of my yard" ability.

OKW:
-Assault Artillery (Breakthrough): as long as your objective is near a flag zone, it's a fine ability to use
-105mm Barrage (Scavenge): scales with munition count. Don't expect it to be a doomsday weapon for it cost, but it's really effective as a denial area tool.
-Zeroing artillery: too expensive for what it does. It requires a setup (maintaining LOS) and unless you use it against immobile targets, your opponent have several time to move up (it starts slow but then speeds up)

cheers elchino
27 Oct 2016, 01:22 AM

Unfortunately the formatting has confused some of our members. Those mentioned units are the perfect example of a balanced arty unit.

But overall most arty units in this game are quite devastating, require no micro or strategic thinking and are pretty affordable. The Pack Hoitzer, Panzerwerfer, StukaZuFuss, Calliope, The mortarpit, Katyusha, to name a few...

Not only it kills the realism and immersion, it also makes the gameplay pretty bland, unfair and predictable.

27 Oct 2016, 19:59 PM

Allied artillery is too accessible and too good compared to axis artillery.

It is either, a call in, cheap, or available behind cheap teching.

The one exception is the stuka which I believe is the first rocket artillery piece that can hit the field. However, I find it rather ineffective, as firing in a straight line is easier to dodge than a circular scatter area.

The Pwerfer, while incredible, can be a real challenge to get to in 2v2 and 1v1, while again, the best allied artillery is a call in. If the pwerfer were any easier to get, it would be op.

I wish call ins were just removed from the game entirely and all tied to tech. I guess the KT would still be ok as a call in since it is tied to tech anyways.

There is literally no point in trying to counter barrage a USF mortar.

The leig, while it helps you win engagements, is not near the potency of the pack howitzer in terms of squadwipes and damage done.

Maybe I am just salty but I have always felt the three things that ruin this game are:

1. Heavy Tank Call Ins/Call ins in general
2. Too much artillery that is too good (I don't care if it is realistic its a game)
3. Too much deemphasis on good infantry play as the games progress.
9 Nov 2016, 21:47 PM

The leig, while it helps you win engagements, is not near the potency of the pack howitzer in terms of squadwipes and damage done.

If anything, squad wiping should be exclusive to the heaviest and most expensive arty units. But even then, that would be still unpleasant and anti competitive.
16 Nov 2016, 18:45 PM

Yes let's nerf everything so they will always miss like the heavy soviet mortar!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 40
unknown 24
Mexico 18
unknown 4
Germany 868

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L