Login

russian armor

Puma (vs Centaur)

6 Jul 2016, 13:41 PM

I was playing a match against UKF a while back (pre-patch) and was a little on the backfoot. I went mechanized, lost my P2 somehow, and saw a centaur. It made a nice flank and wiped a racketten. So my natural reaction was to get a puma - to my surprise the puma did terrible job against the centaur. The puma fired off 4 shots, none of them penetrated, the centaur killed the puma in 3 volleys or so with more than ~70% health.

So now I'm confused about what a puma is good against. Is a puma generally useless against medium armor (chassis) or did I have just bad luck? If thats true, then is it not worth building it at all as it tends scale terribly? Thanks
6 Jul 2016, 13:45 PM

puma has more range and more speed than centaur, so you just didnt micro it propely.

6 Jul 2016, 13:53 PM

puma has more range and more speed than centaur, so you just didnt micro it propely.

What am suppose to spot the centaur with for the puma to get range? Im not going to use infantry, thats suicide.

Besides, my question was weather the Puma is suppose to penetrate the centaurs armor or weather i was having bad luck. I didnt know 20mm caliber penetrates Puma so easily.
6 Jul 2016, 15:20 PM

You don't need anything to spot the Centaur with for your Puma.

Puma sight range: 50
Puma gun range: 50

Centaur (and other Medium Armour) gun range: 40

If Puma can shoot at it, Puma can also spot it for itself. Most likely you ran a tight corner somewhere and went too close to the Centaur.

Puma has good enough penetration for medium armour paper-armor, and is a beast if you micro it properly.
6 Jul 2016, 15:41 PM

You don't need anything to spot the Centaur with for your Puma.

Puma sight range: 50
Puma gun range: 50

Centaur (and other Medium Armour) gun range: 40

If Puma can shoot at it, Puma can also spot it for itself. Most likely you ran a tight corner somewhere and went too close to the Centaur.

Puma has good enough penetration for medium armour paper-armor, and is a beast if you micro it properly.

Yeah the centaur was well within range of the puma. I guess i just expecting an AT vehicle to beat the an AA tank without problems. Quite honestly i never really used the puma; i underestimated how papery it is.

So i guess my answer is that i really did have bad luck. The 4 shots that hit the centaur barely did any damage. At that rate i would have needed 10+ shots to kill it.
6 Jul 2016, 16:52 PM

Yeah the centaur was well within range of the puma. I guess i just expecting an AT vehicle to beat the an AA tank without problems. Quite honestly i never really used the puma; i underestimated how papery it is.

So i guess my answer is that i really did have bad luck. The 4 shots that hit the centaur barely did any damage. At that rate i would have needed 10+ shots to kill it.

The chance of penetration for Puma varies wildly depending on range. At max range, vs the Centaur you should have a 50% chance of penetration. At point-blank range the chance becomes 100%. You need 6 penetrating hits (with the Puma) to kill the centaur. Thus, your estimate was entirely correct!

Alternatively, you could use your superior mobility/range/sight and try to flank the Centaur a bit to the side/rear, where you have an almost-guaranteed chance to penetrate.
6 Jul 2016, 20:13 PM

The chance of penetration for Puma varies wildly depending on range. At max range, vs the Centaur you should have a 50% chance of penetration. At point-blank range the chance becomes 100%. You need 6 penetrating hits (with the Puma) to kill the centaur. Thus, your estimate was entirely correct!

Alternatively, you could use your superior mobility/range/sight and try to flank the Centaur a bit to the side/rear, where you have an almost-guaranteed chance to penetrate.

Thanks for the feedback. Would you build a Puma against a centaur?
6 Jul 2016, 20:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Would you build a Puma against a centaur?

As long as you don't treat it like a Medium Tank - yes.

It's more of a soft counter to Medium Tanks in that is has a pretty good chance to penetrate but you use to harass tanks from range or flank and use as support (it's also pretty good at diving after wounded tanks to finish them off).

For me building Pumas vs. medium tanks is always a question about fuel math. If you can hold out and get a PZ4 then that is always the better choice but if you desperately need mobile AT and already have Mechanized Regiment up then sometimes Puma is necessary.

You can watch Epic Puma Micro here as a good example of how to use it vs. Medium tanks (in this case T34s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BllD6-rzyk
6 Jul 2016, 21:03 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Faust, retreat, and let the Puma hammer from a distance is probably the best bet.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 31
Korea, Republic Of 0
Russian Federation 77
Germany 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %