Login

russian armor

Ostheer Panther Moving Accuracy

4 Jul 2016, 05:55 AM
Developer Relic Badge

People can say this is a rage pos/rant due to a recent game, but I've stood by this decision for ages given the state of this tank and what I gave the tank in CE.

Every time I buy the Ostheer Panther I always seem to regret it and wonder: Why didn't I buy a StuG or just get a Brummbar to nuke the infantry.

The Panther provides one thing which Ostheer lack which is a hardy tank hunter meant to run down other vehicles that are wounded while being capable of surviving incoming fire. In return they have horrible DPS which means they will generally not kill vehicles that are at full health or have high health pools without support and only provide mediocre AI support when upgraded and stationary, lacking the rapid-rotation rate to perform insane crushes and moving the vehicle cripples its MGs accuracy. This is good as the Panther has flaws that can be exploited.

However, the Panther, particularly the Ostheer one with its 0.5 moving accuracy means they will almost never hit anything while moving which is terrible for a unit meant to be mobile.

The tank cannot afford to miss given its low damage output and every time you hit the stop command you risk letting faster vehicles get away or losing LOS as you decelerate and then need to re-accelerate. The fact is that the Panther is premium tank that can easily be overshadowed by Ostheer's many other options for AT means the Panther has to be good at its job at chasing tanks because that's pretty much its role. Speed and armour means it can survive to hunt down most tanks and on the odd occasion, just outright bully another tank into submission through a lengthy process of attrition but it means nothing if shells never go where they need to go.

If I want to just chunk a vehicles health down through raw firepower, there are plenty of other options that can do it better and cheaper.

Proposed Change:

Moving Accuracy to 0.6
4 Jul 2016, 05:57 AM
4 Jul 2016, 06:39 AM

4 Jul 2016, 06:54 AM

The okw panther has 0.035 as far accuracy and 0.65 moving accuracy multiplier however the ostheer one has 0.5 as moving and on top of that 0.03 as far accuracy.

your proposed change of increasing the moving accuracy to 0.6 is still not going to be enough. It should be at least 0.75 moving accuracy for a 50/50 chance of hitting a 22 target size tank on the move.
4 Jul 2016, 07:01 AM
Patrion 14

+1
4 Jul 2016, 07:02 AM

Maybe to let its prey having a chance to escape? You know, keeping it balanced.
You can't lose vs anything in a 1vs1 fight with a Panther, even more if your target is already damaged and you want on the top of that making sure you can simply rush it and kill it on the move?

If you had asked the same for the Pz4, I would have say yes, but the panther...
4 Jul 2016, 07:02 AM

Panther is obsolete as a premium, it gonna need more than that if we ever want to see it as an actual lategame armor piece that you can rely on.
4 Jul 2016, 08:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2016, 07:02 AMEsxile
Maybe to let its prey having a chance to escape? You know, keeping it balanced.
You can't lose vs anything in a 1vs1 fight with a Panther, even more if your target is already damaged and you want on the top of that making sure you can simply rush it and kill it on the move?

If you had asked the same for the Pz4, I would have say yes, but the panther...

That's not true. Both more mobile comets and t34/85s can win 1v1 over 30% of the time against panthers front armour.
4 Jul 2016, 09:14 AM

While this change is welcomed, the Panthers reload speed is just disastrous atm, it needs a reload buff also, 1 - 1.5 secs less reload should do it

Currently it only seems to scare away allied Armour rather then actually destroy it, and it is suppose to be a tank hunter......????
4 Jul 2016, 09:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2016, 08:39 AMsinthe

That's not true. Both more mobile comets and t34/85s can win 1v1 over 30% of the time against panthers front armour.

I accept that you have crunched the numbers to come up with that figure but I think most players would be hard pressed to recall a time they saw a t34/85 defeat a panther 1v1. Comet I can understand, but it is closer in price and locks out other options.

As for the OP's suggestion, I think it's generally a good idea and certainly worth a try. Another option would be to have another look at the blitz ability, perhaps consider increasing its accuracy bonus with a compensate mun cost increase or reduction in the speed bonus (or make it only apply to forward movement).

The ideal thing would be to give the player some visual indicator of reload progress so they can coordinate when to stop for the shot, but that's probably a bit too much to ask these days.
4 Jul 2016, 09:27 AM

Panther is obsolete as a premium, it gonna need more than that if we ever want to see it as an actual lategame armor piece that you can rely on.
+1

Even if the Panther hits, the dps is terrible. The role miragefla describes, is a role that is horrible. Super expensive, can´t even destroy full health mediums reliably and doesn´t have AI.

It needs to do some damage versus infantry. Buff it to OKW Panthers stats. That would give it a better reload speed next to an accuracy bonus on the MGs (I´m not sure whether the latter is already influenced by the accuraccy on the move value though).
4 Jul 2016, 09:53 AM

+1
Slightly better accuracy for panther is needed
4 Jul 2016, 09:58 AM

Panther also needs better DPS. Either in form of RoF or Damage boost.
4 Jul 2016, 10:03 AM

What is the reason for some armies having on the move accuracy nerfs and some not? Wouldn't it be logical for all of the armies to have similar on the move accuracy nerfs?
aaa
4 Jul 2016, 10:08 AM

4 Jul 2016, 11:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2016, 10:08 AMaaa

This isnt about posting your skill level, aaa.
4 Jul 2016, 12:04 PM

how about keeeping the same stats as it has now and increasing the main gun damage to 200?
This is will ofc require a cost increase aswell
4 Jul 2016, 12:25 PM

Every time I buy the Ostheer Panther I always seem to regret it and wonder: Why didn't I buy a StuG or just get a Brummbar to nuke the infantry.

Weird, my friend, who is top player, complaint why StuG and Brummbar are UP but Panther is opposite.

But while we are at this topic, I would like to mention some stats about moving accuracy.

Soviet
SU-76, T34-76, SU-85, T34-85, KV1: 0.5 <- Suffer same thing with German tank
Sherman: 0.75

USF
Sherman, M4A3E8, M10, M36: 0.75 <- USF feature for paper armor or pea-shooting gun

UKF
Firefly, Churchill: 0.75 <- Kind of understandable
Cromwell, Comet: 0.75 <-What the... Relic copy-paste make these vehicles too useful for chasing

German
All except OKW panther: 0.5
OKW panther(not command tank): 0.65

As for me, I would rise all vehicle moving acc to 0.6, while nerf UKF moving acc to 0.6 at the same time.
4 Jul 2016, 12:38 PM

What is the reason for some armies having on the move accuracy nerfs and some not? Wouldn't it be logical for all of the armies to have similar on the move accuracy nerfs?

Allies actually did used gun stabilizers, therefore better moving accuracy then axis.
Plus, allies have generally weaker armor and penetration(unless its TD), which relies on flanking, therefore the need for that accuracy.

Basically, what kitekaze said.
4 Jul 2016, 12:39 PM

This proposed change makes sense, but the tank already has too many stats,very good frotnal armor,speed,penetration.

i believe one of those stats must be reduced should we increase the moving accuracy(Transfer Power) and i would suggest a bigger increase in moving accuracy 0.7 should we choose to buff it.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★