Using the OKW Puma

Do you use the OKW's Puma?
Option Distribution Votes
62%
38%
Total votes: 50
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
18 Jun 2016, 10:39 AM

Hello! I don't know if this is the correct place for this question so move if needed. I saw a lot of OKW players going for Mech. HQ and straight Luchs even if the enemy already fielded a Stuart/T-70/AEC and there aren't that many enemy infantry. I noticed that the majority of the players dislike this unit and tend to get 2-3x Raketen and Schreck-blob instead. Can you please tell me if you use this unit or not and explain why? Thanks :)
18 Jun 2016, 18:14 PM
Donator 11

its a glasscanon with big range. if you use it that way, it is quite good and sclaes really well with veterancy aswell
18 Jun 2016, 18:18 PM

Pumas have great range. They make great support vehicles, and as long as you can get sight, they can demolish enemy tanks if you're able to keep them in the 'pocket' out of counter fire range.

I've chased down many a T-34 or Sherman with a Puma. Problem is Jacksons wreck their faces.

But their vet 1 snipe is a very handy feature.
18 Jun 2016, 19:06 PM

Volks getting outmatched by every allied infantry once midgame Starts so they need AI Power(pref. As vehicle so you dont bleed manpower), since they got shreks they dont Care too much about anti tank capabilitys. Thats pre-patch though
18 Jun 2016, 19:06 PM

Aimed shot makes for a great brit sniper counter.

@Bananenheld
That will apply only for couple more days.
18 Jun 2016, 19:45 PM

Pumas are also pretty sweet with HEAT rounds from Elite Armor - that being said I think Pumas are more of a unit you get with with a specific build/strategy in mind. (Or when your facing something non-meta like multiple AEC/T70/Stuart) Otherwise they tend to be a bad investment compared to Luches (especially with the current Volk Shreks to cover you for AT as mentioned).

I know RedWings is pretty fond of the Puma - you can probably dig up some of his replays where he uses it to good effect. (He'll often use it for AT in heavy StrumPio/Jeager builds from what I remember)

18 Jun 2016, 19:59 PM

I never use the Puma. It delays the Panzer IVs arrival way too much. And the Panzer IV bleeds infantry while being a threat to tanks.
18 Jun 2016, 20:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jun 2016, 19:59 PMButcher
I never use the Puma. It delays the Panzer IVs arrival way too much. And the Panzer IV bleeds infantry while being a threat to tanks.

But even also Puma has a decent chance killing infantry models if you leave it on free fire imho. I really like Puma it has great range, can kite tanks (not tank destroyers!) easily. As I'm not really fond of the volks-schreck-blob (i'm a bit like RedWings in metagame), I usually go 1x Schreck-volks, 1x Raketen and 1x Puma. In a 2v2 game in the final enemy push I killed 3x T-34 + KV-8 with that combo. Ofc T4 comes a bit later if you invest in a light tank destroyer but it can pay off if you can use it correctly. And then why do you go Luchs? Even that delays the P IV's arrival :p

Pumas are also pretty sweet with HEAT rounds from Elite Armor - that being said I think Pumas are more of a unit you get with with a specific build/strategy in mind. (Or when your facing something non-meta like multiple AEC/T70/Stuart) Otherwise they tend to be a bad investment compared to Luches (especially with the current Volk Shreks to cover you for AT as mentioned).

I know RedWings is pretty fond of the Puma - you can probably dig up some of his replays where he uses it to good effect. (He'll often use it for AT in heavy StrumPio/Jeager builds from what I remember)

Is Elite Armored HEAT rounds + Puma really worth it? I never tried, but it sounds great :D
18 Jun 2016, 23:49 PM

would buff the armor or pen at mid-far range
19 Jun 2016, 04:06 AM

It's good. Doesn't have much health but it's quite survivable thanks to the speed and smoke canisters. Damage against most vehicles is excellent - maybe better than the Panzer IV - although it struggles against units like Comets and T-34/85s because it won't reliably penetrate.

A few notes:

- This unit synergizes extremely well with the Jagdtiger if you're playing big team games, as it can protect it from flanks and you don't need to spend resources on the Schwerer HQ
- Turns into an absolute monster at vet 3 with the 33% damage boost and speed buff
- Aimed Shot is rather good at killing off retreating squad members and getting a wipe
19 Jun 2016, 06:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jun 2016, 10:39 AMDanyek
Hello! I don't know if this is the correct place for this question so move if needed. I saw a lot of OKW players going for Mech. HQ and straight Luchs even if the enemy already fielded a Stuart/T-70/AEC and there aren't that many enemy infantry. I noticed that the majority of the players dislike this unit and tend to get 2-3x Raketen and Schreck-blob instead. Can you please tell me if you use this unit or not and explain why? Thanks :)

Its shit. and suicidal to use it

1. If you look at the stats compared to real TD's like the su76 stugs and m10's the puma is just bad at destroying medium tanks.

2. it delays your flak hq

3. mech is more expensive and you definitely need the healing truck, further delaying your tech

4. with the addition of panzerfausts the okw really doesnt need a LV hunter that much.

5. mech offer very little. the flak truck is bad and walking stuka is not needed early game.

19 Jun 2016, 07:04 AM

- This unit synergizes extremely well with the Jagdtiger if you're playing big team games, as it can protect it from flanks and you don't need to spend resources on the Schwerer HQ

LOL no. at that point the better medium tanks are going to become available. i have a time imagining puma's able to counter a flank from e8's 85's and comets. better use a jp4 or panther as an anti flanker

- Turns into an absolute monster at vet 3 with the 33% damage boost and speed buff

Stugs m10's jp's are turned into monsters with vet the puma just becomes decent.

- Aimed Shot is rather good at killing off retreating squad members and getting a wipe

We have the luchs for that
19 Jun 2016, 07:14 AM

Luchs needs to be close to even hit the intended target whereas the Puma can take out a single member from afar, so it's not exposed to danger of AT nades and AT guns. But yes, sadly the meta is Luchs + 3-5x Schreck-volks. In the few 1v1s I played I went for mech -> luchs -> battlegroup -> (puma, depending on map control and enemy armor) -> flak hq -> p4. But then even the OST Puma is bad as hell, as some of you stated overall. Everybody who I played with said I won't have problems with it and I still don't play 1v1 AM so I may not know anything
19 Jun 2016, 07:14 AM

With shreck blob you need AI Luchs. After patch, Puma will be key unit.
19 Jun 2016, 07:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jun 2016, 07:14 AMAradan
With shreck blob you need AI Luchs. After patch, Puma will be key unit.

And I'm totally happy with it. OKW supposed to be good only with combined arms. 2 type of units for early game is not really combined for me. Now the players will have to use real combined arms. I think a Volks faust + Sturmpio schreck + raketen/Puma is going to be really nice. However I read that they're going to lower engine damage to achieve the critical under 5%. How will this change effect the snares?
19 Jun 2016, 08:09 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jun 2016, 06:55 AMZyllen
Its shit. and suicidal to use it
It's micro-intensive but it has a lot of potential if you use it correctly imo. More potential than StuG or SU-76 I'd say.

I mean, there's not a lot you can do with a StuG other than sit there and shoot at stuff while tanking damage. Conversely, Pumas can actually flank and chase stuff down. StuG can't really do that.
19 Jun 2016, 08:21 AM

I mean, there's not a lot you can do with a StuG other than sit there and shoot at stuff while tanking damage. Conversely, Pumas can actually flank and chase stuff down. StuG can't really do that.

And as far as I know even that it's not turning very fast the Puma still has a turret. You can't say the same about StuGs or SU-76s. Yes it has much worse armor but it makes it up with non-doc smoke, speed etc. I'm much more a fan of agile vehicles than the best armored tanks :)
19 Jun 2016, 10:34 AM

its a very fun unit but is microintensive
19 Jun 2016, 10:45 AM

I use Puma to get rid of bofors and other emplacement, you get range and vision on them :snfPeter:
19 Jun 2016, 14:23 PM

It's micro-intensive but it has a lot of potential if you use it correctly imo. More potential than StuG or SU-76 I'd say.

This isnt star craft. micro has nothing to do with it. its more of a risk reward situation and stug offer a whole lot more by just sitting their and tanking spanking the shit out mediums.

A puma on the other hand needs to get behind the enemy tank.

if it hits a mine its death
if it get hit by an at nade its death
if its spotted before it can get into position its death.

This unit is shit , to expensive and delays your tech far to much
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS