Login

russian armor

BARs on Rangers?

6 Jun 2016, 09:36 AM

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've seen Rangers used on a few maps where the majority of their engagements were going to be at longer range than Thompsons are effective. In that case, I feel like BARs might make them pretty dangerous at mid range, though I have no way of comparing to rifles. Stats somewhere?
6 Jun 2016, 09:53 AM

I don't know about stats, but have you tried using Cheatmod to test them out? That can be a good way to quickly get a real feel for effectiveness.
6 Jun 2016, 10:10 AM

gonna subscribe to it now. or just test in game. just wondering if anyone else had seen it.

i watched the latest tightrope replay... dude on crossing in the woods gave his rangers tommys but they were pretty worthless at the range of engagement on tha tmap.
6 Jun 2016, 15:21 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I'm playing alot of OKW lately, The other day I played a USF guy that got double rangers each with triple zooks...

Needless to say it was... Very effective vs my armor. Even muh KT. And since there rangers they're tanky vs obers and the like and vet fast, almost instantly with the zooks.

Especially when he blobbed it all with a captain/ even more zook riflemen..

We did win the game, and he had an atrocious K/D (68 something kills to over 300 deaths)
but maybe its something to consider trying :snfPeter:
3x zook double Rangers ftw

Oh and with the bars, thompsons have okay midrange dps, and are more annihilative once you close in.

Don't see a reason to put a bar or even triple bar on Rangers, just give it to a rifle squad
6 Jun 2016, 16:21 PM

I almost always go Thompsons and a BAR for the the 3rd slot. The lone BAR still buffs their mid-range damage and the mid-range damage on Thompsons isn't half bad. Main reason I do this is that Thompsons are way more wipey in my experience and give you a better chance to get a wipe if your opponent's attention is elsewhere and you can close distance. It's also cheaper munitions wise.

6 Jun 2016, 16:44 PM

so i took cyanara's advice and tested a few times with cheat mod (mainly against grens in yellow and green cover). like cookiez says, there's very little drop off with thompsons at mid range. probably not worth it to do BARs unless you have a ton of munis and want to add BARs on top of thompsons.

interestingly enough, unvetted rangers with BARs are almost no better than rifles with BARs. give rangers thompsons though, and...
8 Jun 2016, 06:22 AM

I'm playing alot of OKW lately, The other day I played a USF guy that got double rangers each with triple zooks...

Needless to say it was... Very effective vs my armor. Even muh KT. And since there rangers they're tanky vs obers and the like and vet fast, almost instantly with the zooks.

Zooks on rangers is a huge waste. Might as well go for 2x rear echolons and give them zooks. For the same manpower and supply you will have 1 extra zook and more staying power due to extra models. You can even throw in a minesweeper on top of all the zooks.
8 Jun 2016, 06:41 AM

Tried triple bazookas, very handy as an anti-tank squad that can do some damage against models while they have a grenade. In other words, Rangers find themselves in a similar role as the Panzergrenadiers. The only difference is that one unit can be versatile in weaponry.
8 Jun 2016, 11:54 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Zooks on rangers is a huge waste. Might as well go for 2x rear echolons and give them zooks. For the same manpower and supply you will have 1 extra zook and more staying power due to extra models. You can even throw in a minesweeper on top of all the zooks.

I was joking

Did you miss the part of the post were I said he had a 68/300 K/D

your sarcasm detection radius needs a buff :snfPeter:
8 Jun 2016, 14:08 PM

I was joking

Did you miss the part of the post were I said he had a 68/300 K/D

Well at least it's not airborne with Zooks/Bars or crazy shit like one time in team games I saw Rangers with PIAT!
8 Jun 2016, 15:09 PM

... dis mofucka... :snfBarton:
15 Jun 2016, 13:17 PM

why rangers don't get free thompson's like panzergreens from wermaht they are pretty cheap for their performance they eat usf troops without salt
they get powerful smgs thet rape clsoe to mid range wtf

some one here think panzergreens should get regular rifles and only for an upgrade they
would get smgs just like rangers ?

15 Jun 2016, 13:53 PM

Would it be cost effective compared to Thompsons?

The Bars would be much better invested into Riflemen there isnt much point to getting Rangers if you're just gonna put 3 bars on them a Rifleman squad would be better as it would also gain access to smoke and AT Nades

Rangers are just beefier Riflemen with Thompsons and a slightly better grenade so why not just make use of everything they have instead of treating them as another Rifle squad and giving them bars

Yeah the firepower would be insane but it'd also be insane if given to Rifles
15 Jun 2016, 15:29 PM

Thompsons have better wipe potential if used right (on right map).
15 Jun 2016, 21:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2016, 13:17 PMbicho1
why rangers don't get free thompson's like panzergreens from wermaht they are pretty cheap for their performance they eat usf troops without salt

some one here think panzergreens should get regular rifles and only for an upgrade they

Yes. The free guns on them and Falls, IMO, is BS.
15 Jun 2016, 21:16 PM

triple bar rangers can be useful. They don't have to close in as much and pack a lot of DPS.

Obvious downfalls are higher muni cost to purchase and the risk of losing the bars since they'll start dropping at the 3rd man.

Triple zooks generally aren't worth it. For the same cost of REs to hold them you get more models and more zook spaces. And the extra durability doesn't really come in handy since you'll mostly be dealing with the explosive rounds of tanks. They don't even have the benefit of the snare of zooked rifles.

15 Jun 2016, 23:17 PM

Triple piat ranger blobs with M8 HMC spam and a UKF teammate helping with abilities
1 Aug 2016, 07:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2016, 13:17 PMbicho1

Please start my Ober off with a Mg-34 if rangers get free thompson. (again)

PzGren is definitely not on the OP side of the park....
1 Aug 2016, 09:27 AM

Lol pgrens need upgrade to get stg44s? Good way to further sterilise Ostheer:romeoBANG:
1 Aug 2016, 20:04 PM

Lol pgrens need upgrade to get stg44s? Good way to further sterilise Ostheer:romeoBANG:

It would make Stormtroopers look a little less bad.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★