Login

russian armor

Make CoH2 F2P/Great again :D

30 May 2016, 16:16 PM
Donator 11

This has been needed since 3 months after Brits release. The new War Spoils (long term fix) shows us that community driven content (skins, faceplates, and decals) are all worthwhile investments. Combine these with the longevity of the CoH community and you have a pretty solid f2p game emerging with a wider reach to new players or people lacking funds.

+1 from me, CoH has been needing f2p for half of the year now. Everyone complains they "haven't gotten" their moneys worth but honestly, they should look at the costs of patches, servers, and other 'free' content that Relic has provided us as a community. Shits not cheap
30 May 2016, 16:40 PM

You F2P supporters don't really have any slightest idea how does it work right?

It doesn't nessesairly mean pay2win needs to be implemented, but mechanics dettering free players/slowing them down/putting them behind paying customers are complete MANDATORY for F2P to work.

Servers do not run on up votes on steam or out of charity, these services cost and they force certain % of playerbase to pay, no matter how light or tough, people are forced to open their wallets eventually.

With playerbas as CoH2 have now? F2P would kill it faster then you can tell "I'm a 4v4 axis hero who would love F2P, I don't care for russian and asian hacker infestation in that specific mode".

Anyone who has slightest clue on how F2P works KNOWS why its horrible path to go.

And believe me, I know F2P market more then any of you.
30 May 2016, 16:55 PM

So what you're saying is that Relic would implement some kind of system where you needed to pay money to be able to use hotkeys or something along those lines? Like how in MMOs you sometimes can't sprint if you're a free user? Yeah that would be awful.
30 May 2016, 17:15 PM

So what you're saying is that Relic would implement some kind of system where you needed to pay money to be able to use hotkeys or something along those lines? Like how in MMOs you sometimes can't sprint if you're a free user? Yeah that would be awful.

This pretty much is essence of F2P games, even the good ones.

Incredibly slow progression, or paying for convenience or plain P2W.
30 May 2016, 17:52 PM

I don't normally assist Katitof and his points, but I'll make this an exception.

Does anybody know about Heroes and Generals? That WW2 game where you have to grind just to get out of the starter rifles. Then pay and arm and a leg just to get new equipment which is nonessential.
30 May 2016, 17:56 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post30 May 2016, 17:15 PMKatitof

This pretty much is essence of F2P games, even the good ones.

Incredibly slow progression, or paying for convenience or plain P2W.

i think dota 2 and lol are a very good example that you are wrong. dota doesnt even have progression and the progression in lol is reasonably fast.

thing with coh2 is, that some of the mechanics are so unpolished and the optimization is so bad, that i think that it wouldnt be that much of an improvement for the playerbase, because many players wouldnt play it for long

but if that would be fixed, coh2 basegame might actually make a very good f2p title

30 May 2016, 18:00 PM
Donator 11

Katitof is right. They could go full F2P with coh1 and its add-ons though, they are not going to squeeze any money out of it any more and its infested with hackers anyway. Actually, they should have done this like a year after coh2 release.

It's true that sega went full retard with coh2 getting both full price for the game/add - ons and multiple p2w dlcs limiting the playerbase from very beginning but now income from both game copies and not p2w dlcs like skins is absolutely neceserry to keep the game up and running, there is no way around it, they either keep it as is or they are going to kill the game.
30 May 2016, 18:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 May 2016, 16:40 PMKatitof

It doesn't nessesairly mean pay2win needs to be implemented, but mechanics dettering free players/slowing them down/putting them behind paying customers are complete MANDATORY for F2P to work.

And then there's TF2 with hats.

But on a serious note, CoH2 is on a decline. New RTS games are coming out and there won't be any big new content for the game (expect for community made skins and maps maybe). It's hard to get money out of this game right now. And as it was said, the servers and the support is not a charity.
Making quarter of the game F2P, and charging for the other 3/4 would be a working idea.
(someone had an idea making the 2 base factions free. That would be a start)

But to be honest this whole post is just a "What if.." thinking. This game won't be a F2P game, that's for certain.
30 May 2016, 18:30 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

i think dota 2 and lol are a very good example that you are wrong. dota doesnt even have progression and the progression in lol is reasonably fast.

Dota 2 had the goodwill of being one of the most famous game mods of all time ever since Counter-Strike and being developed by the similarly pretty-beloved Valve. I don't know about the LoL one either, it'll take people years to hope to get most of the characters and its players generally agree the rune system is absolutely just a painful grind...and the game is still a lot more accessible than CoH is.

I'm pretty doubtful F2P would work for CoH2.
30 May 2016, 18:31 PM

F2P? Nope.

But a Price Reduction would be an excellent idea.
30 May 2016, 18:49 PM

thing with coh2 is, that some of the mechanics are so unpolished and the optimization is so bad, that i think that it wouldnt be that much of an improvement for the playerbase, because many players wouldnt play it for long

but if that would be fixed, coh2 basegame might actually make a very good f2p title

Somehow I doubt CoH2 wold suddenly have 2+ million population keeping it alife on skin sales alone you know.

If anything, these two exceptions only reinforce my point.
30 May 2016, 18:59 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post30 May 2016, 18:30 PMVuther
I don't know about the LoL one either, it'll take people years to hope to get most of the characters and its players generally agree the rune system is absolutely just a painful grind...and the game is still a lot more accessible than CoH is.

tin about champions in lol is that you need a lot of time to learn one, so having all champions doesnt help a bit. generally you need 2-4 champs. and runes are not perfect, but if you save up a bit preparing for ranked games, you will have enough for sufficient runes (on a sidenote: riot cut the prices in half for the most important runes recently)

and i would argue that coh 2 is more accessible, you need to learn A LOT in lol to be good, all 4 abilities and the passives of all ?130? champions. coh 2 doesnt have that.
jump backJump back to quoted post30 May 2016, 18:49 PMKatitof

Somehow I doubt CoH2 wold suddenly have 2+ million population keeping it alife on skin sales alone you know.

If anything, these two exceptions only reinforce my point.

coh2 surely wouldnt get 2 millions players suddenly, but im pretty sure relic is not making that much with the basegame anymore. therefore going f2p on the basegame would not be a big minus. but i think going f2p would give you a lot of free advertisement and a lot of players trying it out "because its free".
well, these two exceptions show, that F2p titles with "fair" progression exist and are very successfull with a passionate community. i dont see how that is reinforcing your point

30 May 2016, 19:05 PM

The system that would still make profits for relic if going f2p is the one that is already in place.
Skins,commanders,theaters of war,campaigns,three paid factions.Its enough to make a f2p game of.
If you,on top of that want to make sure it doesnt get invaded by hackers who would just make new accounts,make automatch multiplayer as a whole,a paid DLC.
30 May 2016, 19:18 PM

Any game thats free to play will get infested with cheats and hackers i would rather let them increase the price than make it FTP...

30 May 2016, 19:20 PM

COH2 is good for 1v1 only reason lot of ppl dont play this is all games reqyures 1+ hour of dedicated time which most ppl dont have they want fast 10 - 20 min games this deters a vast majority of casula gamers from COH2
30 May 2016, 19:33 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I wouldn't mind seeing RU/OH been free with vanilla commanders. Thing is, i don't expect to see too much more people playing a mostly "dead" genre.
Same numbers as free weekend? Maybe more for a couple of months but i do think it will later stabilize.

With a somehow "decent" report system, i wouldn't care about cheaters. In comparison to other genres, it's easier to deal with someone with maphack in comparison to someone with ESP/aimbot/damage modifiers/instakill/etc.
30 May 2016, 19:45 PM

If they make it f2p you will complain that it's p2w.
30 May 2016, 19:57 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

tin about champions in lol is that you need a lot of time to learn one, so having all champions doesnt help a bit. generally you need 2-4 champs. and runes are not perfect, but if you save up a bit preparing for ranked games, you will have enough for sufficient runes (on a sidenote: riot cut the prices in half for the most important runes recently)

and i would argue that coh 2 is more accessible, you need to learn A LOT in lol to be good, all 4 abilities and the passives of all ?130? champions. coh 2 doesnt have that.

If League of Legends' skill ceiling is so significant, how can micromanaging like 15 units that you can't always see at once (tactical map notwithstanding) not be even more so? In the latter's case though, that's not the ceiling, that's the floor and every tangible unit your opponent commands more actively than you is a significant advantage.

I can't see what you mean from calling the runes "not perfect", they're simplistic not-insignificant stat bonuses. They will certainly not win the game for a player far less competent, but when the players get closer in skill as things should be, the difference cannot be discounted. Glad to hear they're loosening the painful grind for more casual players that want to be a bit more competitive though.

Last paragraph - it's a presentation thing. I've definitely seen a lot of fans of CoH1 complain about the weakened strategic layer of CoH2 which I can't say is untrue, but the difficulties of RTSes remain (microing multiple units, learning build orders, keeping a tight lid on using your resources ASAP, scouting where the enemy is likely to make use of, learning the enemy's build orders) that keeps the larger market away from it. By contrast, LoL has you control one unit, using your economy resource (just one) has a clear trade-off by removing your presence from the game for a short bit and prevents it from being another constant skillgate "Buy NOW WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR", the important parts of the map are rather clearly outlined visually and scouting is mostly not microed along with other units since you place wards every three minutes and look at the minimap occasionally, and the enemy's build orders are generally implied by clicking the scoreboard and seeing what items they currently have. Like you say, LoL's potential for depth isn't small (indeed, I think build orders are probably something the vast majority of the game's players pay little attention to so they clearly enjoy the game significantly [when they aren't raging as MOBA players are apt to do :p ] despite of incompetence), but the immediate skill floor should certainly feel a lot lower to new players.
30 May 2016, 19:57 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post30 May 2016, 19:20 PMImSkemo

COH2 is good for 1v1 only reason lot of ppl dont play this is all games reqyures 1+ hour of dedicated time which most ppl dont have they want fast 10 - 20 min games this deters a vast majority of casula gamers from COH2

well, 1v1 and 2v2 take more like 30 minutes most of the time. that is comparable to the big mobas

jump backJump back to quoted post30 May 2016, 19:45 PMVIPUKS
If they make it f2p you will complain that it's p2w.

people are already complaining

jump backJump back to quoted post30 May 2016, 19:57 PMVuther

If League of Legends' skill ceiling is so significant, how can micromanaging like 15 units that you can't always see at once (tactical map notwithstanding) not be even more so? In the latter's case though, that's not the ceiling, that's the floor and every tangible unit your opponent commands more actively than you is a significant advantage.
well, the thing with lol is that it can be much faster paced than coh2 very often. besides grenade dodging i would say that coh2 is a very low APM game, which helps a lot for the new player

I can't see what you mean from calling the runes "not perfect", they're simplistic not-insignificant stat bonuses.
with not perfect i mean that they are a little grindy
Glad to hear they're loosening the painful grind for more casual players that want to be a bit more competitive though.
its not THAT painfull. 2 runes pages are often enough and you can buy that for less than 10000 IP, so 2 higher priced champions

[...] but the immediate skill floor should certainly feel a lot lower to new players.

well, LoL has a lot of diversity on other areas and its hard to compare, but seeing the average compstomper in coh2 i would argue that the skill floor is low there too. (3v3 sheldt annihilate, or archelous river fests)
31 May 2016, 02:03 AM

I honestly feel atm CoH2 is just overpriced as it is and the number of players are dropping by the wayside.

I honestly did not understand why a Triple AAA game had P2W elements that are commanders, esp since I forked out money while it was under THQ.

The matter of P2W and declining community can easily be solved by making the game F2P or making it cost CS GO levels so that its a far more accessible game and it increases the population of the game (and relic's pockets) at no extra cost.

Granted, hackers will be a problem but if there's a robust reporting system (far more robust than currently, something like CS GO OverwatcH), then I don't see any problems with hackers.

Making the game F2P (sov and ost for free) isn't all about giving freebies to everyone.

Its about saving and growing the game (and tournament scene), giving the community more of a say as to what happens to the game (which relic are finally doing) and lining the pockets of Relic so they actually have good reason to keep developing the game.

Despite the fact I've got all factions and paid $90AUD for the base game, I'd rather see the game in a F2P state than it is currently where its suffering from a slow decline.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★