Login

russian armor

History of OKW?

14 May 2016, 22:10 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

The problem was, no other vehicle in their fleet was worth investing in, so it was pretty boring, despite having a lot more risk/reward payoffs.

Nah, the other problem was that there was no point on capping your "half of the map" rather than try to keep your opponent cut off of resources.

Some other things:

-On top of SwS HT crushing OPieop, it was still good to push units around. Heck there was an abuse on Semoisky on which you could block your opponent from getting outside of his base.
-Sturms were PG lite. Ghost barbwire was impossible to counter (you couldn't use minesweeper kit nor destroy it on a reasonable amount of time)
-There was a patch on which the Kubel received the title of Kubeljesus.
-MG34 were even better than MG42
-Obers had armor and bonifications against retreating units.
-JT could shoot through hedge blockers normally.
-If you saved up ±600 with scavenge, you would auto win against USF on 1v1.

Like this, there were several other things. Although, IMO, i would had rather adjust a couple other things instead of simply removing the resource penalties.
15 May 2016, 07:51 AM

Like this, there were several other things. Although, IMO, i would had rather adjust a couple other things instead of simply removing the resource penalties.

Many things could have been balanced around OKW, even if they had kept the resource penalty. However, there is one thing that would probably not work out that well: Fuel/Ammo supply drops. An OKW player that picks these drops would get an inflated amount of resources from it.

The best way to address that, while still giving a semblance of "rare" vehicles would be to 1) remove the resource penalty and 2) simply bump the fuel/ammo prices of pretty much everything.
15 May 2016, 08:07 AM

Before,

KT= auto win
Ober= free LMG34 + 1.5 armour
Strum= more expensive and even stronger
Kubel= mobile maxim without set up time (even more cheaper and don't bleed MP, but hell, now people complaining maxim?)
ISG= laser guided machine artillery
volks shercks= 100% hit

OKW=OPKW=easy mode for brainless and lazy player.
15 May 2016, 10:08 AM

The changes were made to make it feel more like COH2. I mean at one point Obers got bonuses received accuracy for targeting retreating units!

Adding some things:

- Luchs was in the Mechanized HQ, not in the FlaK HQ
- Panzer IV was only available through the commander and was then swapped with the Sturmtiger
- Jagdpanzer IV was in the Heal HQ
- LeIG had suppression
- Jagdtiger could shoot through sight blockers
- Kübelwagen could suppress while not moving
- Tanks were about 30% cheaper because of the penalty
- Volksgrens were almost invincible on Vet5
- Base Flaks + Flak HQ shot down most airplanes almost instantly

And the negative things:

- OKW had a ressource penalty of 66% for both ressources (after release) and then for fuel only.
- Ressource "boost" almost stopped the other ressource (e.g. you got about 4 fuel per minute more but your munition income was cut about 80%)
- Kübelwagen could not cap
- HQs had to be built in a connected "chain" (only in the Beta and not in the final release)
- Flak Emplacement was useless even back then
- Raketenwerfer could not camo
15 May 2016, 10:40 AM

If you are hearing people complain about "uncounterable Brit emplacement spam cancer", it's because they have a very short memory.

This atrocity:

... was a thing that took two months (and two patches) to resolve (when OKW was reworked, eventually). Pak Howitzer and LeIG would insta-pin any infantry squad they hit.

Note that pre-nerf both units had an insanely low firing angle (10%)which made the projectile nearly undodgeable. LeIG had an even longer auto-attack range (at 115, equal to the current mortar pit). Couple this with rushable JP4 and FlakHQ with 2 OKW, and you can see the incredible salt-mine potential these patches had.

So yeah, that thing completely killed teamgames off for nearly two months. The meta revolved around:
- LeIG spam into FlakHQ completely nullifying any infantry play.
- OP Crocodile coming into the field, making all Axis infantry/support weapons completely irrelevant.
- If Axis survive, they get an OP Elefant/JT to counter OP Crocodile, also making all Allied armour completely irrelevant in return.
- Whoever wins, we lose.

And that's it. For two months. If I have to put my finger down on any single reason why I registered on coh2.org in the first place, it was the Leigfest that brought me here.
15 May 2016, 11:45 AM

So yeah, that thing completely killed teamgames off for nearly two months. The meta revolved around:
- LeIG spam into FlakHQ completely nullifying any infantry play.
- OP Crocodile coming into the field, making all Axis infantry/support weapons completely irrelevant.
- If Axis survive, they get an OP Elefant/JT to counter OP Crocodile, also making all Allied armour completely irrelevant in return.
- If Allies survive, they will send Air Supremacy and Artillery Cover to bombard Axis back to stone age.
- Whoever wins, we lose.

Well, you miss one important part.
15 May 2016, 11:58 AM

Making the faction more symmetrical has brought balance to the game but I really did enjoy OKW in its early stage because of how fun it was to play, it was in no way competitive or fair for tournament play or anything but with friends I loved playing against them. UNpredictable. Having to deal with big pushes and the unstoppable KT while panicking frantically was an experience all right. Reminds me a lot of the Battle of the Bulge film (1965)
15 May 2016, 14:07 PM

I get flashbacks of those instapinning LeIGs.

Also, its too bad Sturmtiger was moved to a commander, if it wouldn't have we would have Sturms and Golis at the same time!

PZ IV Battlegroup was like the Ostruppen reserves of tanks.
15 May 2016, 16:47 PM

It was changed cuz half the arguments were about math
15 May 2016, 19:14 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Many things could have been balanced around OKW, even if they had kept the resource penalty. However, there is one thing that would probably not work out that well: Fuel/Ammo supply drops. An OKW player that picks these drops would get an inflated amount of resources from it.

The best way to address that, while still giving a semblance of "rare" vehicles would be to 1) remove the resource penalty and 2) simply bump the fuel/ammo prices of pretty much everything.

I agree that resource wise, the easiest path was to change the cost of units/trucks/teching. What i mostly didn't agree with is changing the units performance (Volks), swap from tiers and removal of convertion.

Another one: at least on 2v2, Fortifications was autowin on certain maps. Pak43 into KT was what brought me to top 3 :P
15 May 2016, 20:21 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Personally, I think they should have messed around with removing the resource penalty but making penalties be inflicted for getting tech, upgrades and vehicles. Like the Tiger Ace, the contributing tech/upgrade/vehicle's penalty is removed for losing it. Also, veterancy requirements would be significantly reduced while their bonuses are less powerful (I'd mostly say the current power of their vet bonuses are proper to what I imagine). Thus, there would be penalties to still particularly encourage preservation for OKW while making their losses less unrecoverable.

But yeah, supply drops just break the system over its knee.
15 May 2016, 21:47 PM

All changes where necessary to balance the game.

That being said i do miss the old OKW, it was just so relaxing being able to LOL-Rekt-everthing-everyone.

Cheap tanks, legendary anti everything unkillable volks other fantastic infantry units like Lol-everything obers,the myth the legend " Mr. 5 at guns ol'd ding" KT tank, old classics like "from down town molly" self spot shoot through objects across map Jag tiger and my absolutely personal fav pecison the always useful non doc one and only "pin point Tom" Zuka su fuzz arty.Of course you cant forget the Kubel, I mean cant say enough wondeful things about a kubel, it was basically a unflankable MG/ supression platform.

Sometimes when i want to just relax have a easy match they where what the doctor order, I mean we are talking aboutba faction that at one point the starter engineer unit cant out match evey main line infantry to the point thatvi skip volks and went into elite infantry.

God i miss those days, you really didnt have to pick a doc either because that faction was so ridiculous up until the recent changes in the competitive mod, I mean for god sakes the Barb wire was anti cut and anti light vechale crush proof up until last patch!!

Good times, Obi remembers:).
15 May 2016, 22:14 PM

Making the faction more symmetrical has brought balance to the game but I really did enjoy OKW in its early stage because of how fun it was to play, it was in no way competitive or fair for tournament play or anything but with friends I loved playing against them. UNpredictable. Having to deal with big pushes and the unstoppable KT while panicking frantically was an experience all right. Reminds me a lot of the Battle of the Bulge film (1965)

Exactly my thoughts!
15 May 2016, 22:53 PM
Donator 11

Another thing about the Jagdtiger was that before the Elephant/ISU-152 range nerf the JT originally had 125 range.

Also I believe the KT originally had like 400+ armour or something crazy like that
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★