Login

russian armor

Insta squad gibbing rifle grenades need to be nerfed.

17 Apr 2016, 04:56 AM

That grenade is not that OP, but still too much powerfull. It really wipes squads sometimes, but that's not that problematic, cos a lot of grenades can into wiping. Real problem is, that that grenade can be shoted from very large range. That's like each grenadeer squad has personal mortar, they can shut down HMGs with that very easy. It may be possible to dodge nade with Rifleman squad, but really, not with HMG, even Maxim is not that fast.

P.S. Compare it with very-close-range, slowthrowing and no-impact damage Molotovs, which also costs additional fuel to unlock.
17 Apr 2016, 05:17 AM

The only unit I've ever struggled to dodge rifle nades (or any grenade for that matter)with have been maxims.

Though that may be due to the fact that other MGs and team weapons I actually use for their intended purpose instead of as a replacement for infantry.
17 Apr 2016, 09:46 AM

in the interest of not screaming L2P... you just have to get used to finding the animation or anticipate when the guy might use rifle nades. green cover reduces the damage quite a bit, but if your models are at half health you're still risking a squad wipe. when dodging (for example, if behind a wall), don't pull off cover completely, but shift along the wall to maintain cover.

the way the game computes cover, it doesn't matter if the grenade physically detonates behind your squad... if the cover is between your squad and the grens when the grenade is launched you'll get its benefit in terms of damage reduction.
17 Apr 2016, 10:06 AM

Dodging rifles nades with Maxim is not that big issue, especially with sprint.

But 50cal cries in the corner...
3 modles insta killed and no matter what you gonna do, the last one will also die.
17 Apr 2016, 10:14 AM

Like Australian Magic I do think the grenade isn't such a big problem in infantry combat but more a problem when it comes to 50.cal and Vickers.

In infantry combat always try to use green cover. If you are below half health or only in yellow cover without damage reduction you have to watch out. Do not make the mistake to move out of green cover if you spot the animation too late, you will be caught in the blast of the grenade without the cover reduction if you are just moving away from the cover resulting in a squad wipe.

Imo the real problem is that you can move into a 50.cal or Vickers frontally and still nade it will crouching on the floor. Two rifle nades kill a 4-man MG in green cover, one grenade forces the MG to withdraw to heal or reinforce thus giving up its infantry denial area. I do feel you should always flank a MG to nade it, but you don't have to with rifle nades.
17 Apr 2016, 10:54 AM

Aslong as the game is running smooth everything is fine, but if you get on of those opponents who take a few minutes to load into the game things can get realy ugly.

If you have one of those matches every grenade, every mortarshell and every pillow thrown at your troops has the potential to wipe a sqad.
Thats not a balance or l2p-issue thats something related to your or your opponents Internetconnection I guess.

Otherwise grenades can be annoying when spammed, but are still avoidable.
17 Apr 2016, 11:54 AM

I somehow got used to that, but it is really annoying.
Comparison to regular nades used by USF, shocktroops and Tommies:
Rifle nade has more inconspicous animation, no timer and longer "throwing" range, (which makes using of the nade even more surprising). It's disadvantage is, that it cant be used on close range.
Then there are allied grenades: They can be used on close range. Disadvantage is that they cant be thrown on long range, very noticable throwing animation and timer+ usually need to be side teched for
Damage and cost are the same.
A way to deal with that riflenade is 1)getting good instincts 2)being very lucky 3)hearing your units shout "Grenaaaade!" and recognize whether or not are they shouting it beause enemy is throwing a grenade, or because they are the ones who's throwing a grenade :romeoPls: 4)focusing on opponents unit so much, that you won't notice when some flanker comes in and rapes your unit from behind 5)Try to come on the closest possible range and lose most of your soldiers during the process
A.K.A things that your opponent mostly doesnt have to bother with and will still have the same or better success

Yes, you're bloody right, this IS a whinepost and I've got a good reason for it
17 Apr 2016, 14:06 PM

I somehow got used to that, but it is really annoying.
Comparison to regular nades used by USF, shocktroops and Tommies:
Rifle nade has more inconspicous animation, no timer and longer "throwing" range, (which makes using of the nade even more surprising). It's disadvantage is, that it cant be used on close range.
Then there are allied grenades: They can be used on close range. Disadvantage is that they cant be thrown on long range, very noticable throwing animation and timer+ usually need to be side teched for
Damage and cost are the same.
A way to deal with that riflenade is 1)getting good instincts 2)being very lucky 3)hearing your units shout "Grenaaaade!" and recognize whether or not are they shouting it beause enemy is throwing a grenade, or because they are the ones who's throwing a grenade :romeoPls: 4)focusing on opponents unit so much, that you won't notice when some flanker comes in and rapes your unit from behind 5)Try to come on the closest possible range and lose most of your soldiers during the process
A.K.A things that your opponent mostly doesnt have to bother with and will still have the same or better success

Yes, you're bloody right, this IS a whinepost and I've got a good reason for it

Damage are the same what ?
17 Apr 2016, 15:53 PM

The thing with Rifle nades is that half the battle is anticipating when they are likely to be used against you. Once you get used to that they become much easier to dodge. My general rule of thumb is if I have a "I would rifle-nade me right now" thought I have that squad selected and ready to dodge just in case. I do wish the animation was a bit more obvious though compared to other faction's wind-up animations.
17 Apr 2016, 16:54 PM
Donator 11

From my experience, nades and cover are insanely inconsistent. But that's just me. Stats show that cover prevents damage.

Nades damage is consistent, its the cover that is directional. If the nade (any type of nade, not only rifle nade) is lobbed over green cover, all entities in that cover will take half damage. Its as counter intuitive as it gets but it works exactly like that. But if your squad is standing in cover but the nade is thrown from a flanking position, entities will take full damage and the squad is likely to get wiped.
17 Apr 2016, 18:00 PM
Donator 11

To be fair, the audio doesn't always play but I dont think its OP. The cost alone already delays mg42 upgrade lol.
17 Apr 2016, 18:02 PM

Nades damage is consistent, its the cover that is directional. If the nade (any type of nade, not only rifle nade) is lobbed over green cover, all entities in that cover will take half damage. Its as counter intuitive as it gets but it works exactly like that. But if your squad is standing in cover but the nade is thrown from a flanking position, entities will take full damage and the squad is likely to get wiped.

Yea, that's probably why it feels inconsistent.

17 Apr 2016, 19:42 PM

Play card please
17 Apr 2016, 20:25 PM

sorry double post, look below
17 Apr 2016, 20:26 PM

Yes damage of most axis/allied grenades is 80. Most Soldiers have 80 hit points with an armor of 1, so standing in the blast radius exactly kills them. Green cover reduces the damage by half if the grenade is thrown from the other side of the green cover.
The difference is the blast radius which is called Area of Effect (AOE). While most short ranged grenades have an AOE of 1.25 the rifle nade only has 0.75. If you nade a 4-man MG team or 4-man squad (like brits) that is clumped up in cover as usual an AOE of 0.75 is enough to hit all four, but in an open field situation a rifle nade will do much less damage than the short ranged grenades with their AOE of 1.25. So upgrading your IS/Sappers to 5-man squads can really make a difference when it comes to surviving grenades, in addition soviet 6-man weapon teams have a higher chance of surviving rifle nades because they are usually a little more spread out.
18 Apr 2016, 00:31 AM

I think rifle nades are OP, particularly against MGs, but they're also the only thing keeping Grens relevant. Grens struggle enough against LMG infantry as it is, nerfing rifle grenades would need a buff elsewhere to give Grens any chance.

Aside from their effectiveness against MGs, my main issue with riflenades is how much safer they are than hand grenades. Of course they're easy to dodge in small engagements but as the battle develops becoming more chaotic and spread out, sooner or later they'll start getting wipes. While this is also kinda true for hand grenades, they at least have an element of risk in that you have to close with the enemy.
18 Apr 2016, 00:32 AM

Has this ability changed in any significant way in 4 years? As others have said, use green cover for 50% dmg reduction or just watch for the animation/assume grenadiers are going to try to use their single AI trick on your stationary infantry. Also as Mittenz said, puts a serious tax on an already munitions starved faction.

Grenades are trouble for all mgs, though maxim probably least of all due to pack up time. I'm more concerned about that brit gammon bomb, since I have no clue which of the various commandos has it and there is no opportunity to dodge what is almost as potent as a satchel.
18 Apr 2016, 04:05 AM

Now that riflenades cant be shot without any indication (as in from outside of view range from vet 2 grens) there is little reason for them to be considered op. I mean.. Arnt they the worst aoe profile of all nades? Sure the have range but like... Learn to micro....
18 Apr 2016, 08:57 AM

Yes damage of most axis/allied grenades is 80. Most Soldiers have 80 hit points with an armor of 1, so standing in the blast radius exactly kills them. Green cover reduces the damage by half if the grenade is thrown from the other side of the green cover.
The difference is the blast radius which is called Area of Effect (AOE). While most short ranged grenades have an AOE of 1.25 the rifle nade only has 0.75. If you nade a 4-man MG team or 4-man squad (like brits) that is clumped up in cover as usual an AOE of 0.75 is enough to hit all four, but in an open field situation a rifle nade will do much less damage than the short ranged grenades with their AOE of 1.25. So upgrading your IS/Sappers to 5-man squads can really make a difference when it comes to surviving grenades, in addition soviet 6-man weapon teams have a higher chance of surviving rifle nades because they are usually a little more spread out.
ok but aoe of rifle nade and RM nade are different
18 Apr 2016, 11:19 AM

ok but aoe of rifle nade and RM nade are different

Exactly :-)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 50
Germany 779
unknown 6

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias