Login

russian armor

thx coh2 for keeping RTS alive

15 Apr 2016, 10:33 AM

i would like to thank coh2 community ,relic,coh2.org for keeping RTS games alive after moba monster unleashed

hope it gets better in the future

From an old RTS fan

CoH 2 is not an RTS (Real-time strategy), its an RTT (Real-time tactics).

An upcoming RTS Cossacks 3 will be released this year, will see how that turns out.
15 Apr 2016, 10:40 AM

CoH 2 is not an RTS (Real-time strategy), its an RTT (Real-time tactics).

RTT doesn't have base building, in most RTT such as Total War and Men of War where you can't build units, you can however call in large formations of reinforcements but they still don't count. So no, CoH is still an RTS, it's mods tho like Europe in Ruin turn the game into RTT.
15 Apr 2016, 10:41 AM
Donator 22

I hate and I love coh2. +2000h and its still funny to play.
15 Apr 2016, 11:07 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Apr 2016, 07:04 AMKatitof
There are other nice RTS games coming out, but due to close to non existent marketing no one hears of them :foreveralone:

Gothic Armada anyone?

Its sad that RTS market shrunk to CoH2/DoW2, Total War and SC2.

Wrong bet.

Boiz love Tanks. Because of that Gotic armada will never succeed
15 Apr 2016, 11:27 AM

Wrong bet.

Boiz love Tanks. Because of that Gotic armada will never succeed

I beg to disagree.

We're not talking here about UFOs, rockets or star trek or even star wars pansy cruisers, but actual flying temples of destruction!

Sure, tanks are fun, but its nothing in comparison to Emperor Battle cruiser :romeoHype:
15 Apr 2016, 11:34 AM

what makes coh so unique is how the concept of soft counters is implemented. there is no other game that does it like that.

oh, and graphics sound and atmosphere ofc!!!
15 Apr 2016, 12:01 PM

All in all, CoH2 is a very successful game. The playerbase actually rose on the last few months, and even with all its problems, it's fairly balanced.

Every time a lose to someone that seems to "abuse" a tactic, I try to make it myself, just to crash facefirst on my incompetence. MAYBE it's not just abuse, right?

This game is by far the most played RTS that I played on my life. And I did play the original C&C, the original Warcraft, original Starcraft and on and on. Hell, this game is perhaps the only game that rivals the time I spent on Civ IV, which was a lot.
15 Apr 2016, 12:22 PM

I hate and I love coh2. +2000h and its still funny to play.

+1

I also love and hate coh2. I can have a really enjoyable game then have a really frustrating game because of broken shit. The problem is, the broken shit is what sticks with you and it piles up and up and up until it feels like your choking on shit and all you want to to is vomit.

I think if a poll was conducted most people would agree that they have a love hate view of coh and that is something that relic should not be proud of.....
15 Apr 2016, 13:04 PM

15 Apr 2016, 13:33 PM

Good old times when RTS were on the top... Age of Empires, Empire Earth, Warlords Battlecry III, Battle for Middle earth, Cossacks 1... I love these, becasue you have things to do. Command your units and huge base building. Towers, walls, gates etc.. Modern RTSes focus mainly on units.

I miss those times but the truth is, people what game easier and easier.
Don't think, don't plan just run, shoot and click as fast as you can.
RTSes on the other hand force you to do these things and modern players raised on Call od Duty are not familiar with thinkng.
15 Apr 2016, 13:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Apr 2016, 11:27 AMKatitof

I beg to disagree.

We're not talking here about UFOs, rockets or star trek or even star wars pansy cruisers, but actual flying temples of destruction!

Sure, tanks are fun, but its nothing in comparison to Emperor Battle cruiser :romeoHype:

Orks are in there so I may give it a try :D

Coh franchise brought to maturity a lot of interesting concepts exposed already in Dow franchise, soft counters, retreat button, covers etc... in a game mode that is not pure annihilation which brings also a lot of strategy.
From that it is difficult to come back to more traditional RTS games. It is interesting enough to see the C&C General is probably the most played RTS basic genre after Starcraft and Coh franchise, the game is also quite old but much more diversified than what have been developed recently. And next you also have total annihilation franchise and some good clones as well but imo this sub-genre of RTS is really specific and it doesn't attract me that much.

I really don't understand why no dev studio haven't already try to copy Coh franchise concepts and maybe bring them to another level of maturity through a different game scenario (not WW2). Gree Go, Homeworld 3, and many others seem to be just not enough evolute, when I watch review of gameplay I already felt bored without playing myself. Why none of them even tried to take and implement some of the Coh2 gameplay concept is beyond my reasoning.
15 Apr 2016, 13:44 PM

what makes coh so unique is how the concept of soft counters is implemented. there is no other game that does it like that.

oh, and graphics sound and atmosphere ofc!!!

Looks at the Mortar Pit :megusta:
15 Apr 2016, 14:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Apr 2016, 06:36 AMVIPUKS
Thx relic for my opponent abuses, ty for soviet mine squad wipes, ty for overbuffing or overnerfing unit, ty relic for every knife you put in my back. Would buy coh 2 again.

:crazy:
15 Apr 2016, 14:14 PM

Yep, CoH is keeping the genre alive, along with SC2. I think there was Planetary Annihilation that was hyped quite a bit, but i think it is dead now. Heck, i even gave money during the kickstarter, hoping it would rival Total Annihilation :)
15 Apr 2016, 14:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Apr 2016, 13:34 PMEsxile

Orks are in there so I may give it a try :D

Coh franchise brought to maturity a lot of interesting concepts exposed already in Dow franchise, soft counters, retreat button, covers etc... in a game mode that is not pure annihilation which brings also a lot of strategy.
From that it is difficult to come back to more traditional RTS games. It is interesting enough to see the C&C General is probably the most played RTS basic genre after Starcraft and Coh franchise, the game is also quite old but much more diversified than what have been developed recently. And next you also have total annihilation franchise and some good clones as well but imo this sub-genre of RTS is really specific and it doesn't attract me that much.

I really don't understand why no dev studio haven't already try to copy Coh franchise concepts and maybe bring them to another level of maturity through a different game scenario (not WW2). Gree Go, Homeworld 3, and many others seem to be just not enough evolute, when I watch review of gameplay I already felt bored without playing myself. Why none of them even tried to take and implement some of the Coh2 gameplay concept is beyond my reasoning.

TBH, both DoW and CoH series for me are THE way to go with RTS games.

Not annihilation based, but domination based, THAT is what more RTS games should be about.
Eventually what we've had in WC3, but I doubt we'll ever see RTS as great as that one(excluding what Relic pumps out for us).
15 Apr 2016, 14:31 PM

I've tried to play other RTS games like Starcraft 2 or Total War, but this game makes itself more unique because it is a WW2 game. I mean there are other games like Blitzkrieg or Men of War, but CoH2 tries to keep the game fun and tries to have some authenticity. I mean, the units speak like actual people who don't realize their meaningless sacrifice to take a patch of dirt. Plus, seeing an M10 tank destroyer crush volksgrenadier squads is more satisfying than a baneling rush into a Terrain base.

Indirectly, I also get people to try out this game due to a few of my stories...
15 Apr 2016, 15:42 PM

CoH2 and vCoH contain enough unique features and gameplay that I put up with all the silliness. The Men of War series, as much as I enjoyed them, has never piqued my interest in multiplayer. (Gates of Hell may change that though.) I may hardly play automatch anymore, and arranged teams if that, but this is still a great game for controlled matches. There's just so much glaring broken imbalances in most of the maps in every game mode that it's hard to put forth the energy to remain competitive in the rankings.

For all the grief I give this game, it's because I see its potential.

It's like DotA: virtually 90% of the game is trying to get a good match up with the right maps, factions, and skill of players. Nine times out of ten I'm just trying to get into a game that's balanced because it's a whole lot of fun when everything falls perfectly into place.
15 Apr 2016, 16:19 PM

Nice to see some positivity on the forum for once. I really like CoH2 as a game, and while it certainly has flaws (like all games) I think it is much better than most players (or at least, most forum posters) given it credit for. As the recent ESL results indicate, the game is actually pretty well balanced at the moment. The game has been out for years, but still has a large community and has been kept fresh by semi-regular injections of new content. If not for certain long-running and still unfixed bugs, I'd be happy to call Relic one of the best multiplayer devs out there.

I think a lot of people who complain don't really understand how difficult running a multiplayer game must be. I've played quite a few in my time, and all them have persistent bugs/balance issues/whining communities. It's not like Relic is really any worse than Blizzard or Valve.
15 Apr 2016, 16:27 PM

I've played quite a few in my time, and all them have persistent bugs/balance issues/whining communities. It's not like Relic is really any worse than Blizzard or Valve.

Except on the communication part, it seems that Relic are living on another planet for some reason :) Other than that, they do a good job with this game (a few bugs here and there, a few balance issues but all games have them).
15 Apr 2016, 19:23 PM

Looks at the Mortar Pit :megusta:

it's like painting the mona lisa an instead of a nose you crap out a big turd right into her face.

that's what the mortar pit did to this game
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS