Login

russian armor

MAXIMum wheels - useful or useless?

14 Apr 2016, 09:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2016, 09:40 AMWaffaru

Bofors, Flak Emplacement, Ostwind Flakpanzer (albeit, with a doctrine)

It would not be the only one.
Though, it would be pretty powerful for crowd control against infantry. I don't think it would be a good idea.

I meant inf based 360 platform
14 Apr 2016, 09:44 AM

So you want a 360 suppression platform only for Soviet ?

That was only an idea, and I said in same post, that I don't know how can it be realised right. Maybe they should turn only on 100-120 degree from installed direction, not full 360. In that way it will be veery much possible to backstab them and kill.

Maybe additional armor for gunner was better idea. Maybe you have your own idea, what Maxim should get for inconveniant platform?
14 Apr 2016, 09:52 AM

That was only an idea, and I said in same post, that I don't know how can it be realised right. Maybe they should turn only on 100-120 degree from installed direction, not full 360. In that way it will be veery much possible to backstab them and kill.

Maybe additional armor for gunner was better idea. Maybe you have your own idea, what Maxim should get for inconveniant platform?

Imho Maxim is already a problem in all game modes. It's so dull and annoying to face Maxim Spam in every damn game I play against Soviets. If anything Maxims should be made harder to use and spamming them should result in a loss. A buff or an additional suppression unit for Soviets will in my (limited) perspective brake the faction.

I'm shure there is the need to give Soviet infantry something to compansate but I don't claim to have any inside of what that should be. I'm still a novice when it comes to the hard facts of the game (Rank 5 OST and OKW).
14 Apr 2016, 10:07 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2016, 09:52 AMDiePest

Imho Maxim is already a problem in all game modes. It's so dull and annoying to face Maxim Spam in every damn game I play against Soviets. If anything Maxims should be made harder to use and spamming them should result in a loss. A buff or an additional suppression unit for Soviets will in my (limited) perspective brake the faction.

I'm shure there is the need to give Soviet infantry something to compansate but I don't claim to have any inside of what that should be. I'm still a novice when it comes to the hard facts of the game (Rank 5 OST and OKW).

Well, it more and more looks, like USSR was designed from very start to use maxim spam as main tool. Just like Riflespam is mostly only real tool for USF or Volksspam for OKW.

I think problem about maximspam itself goes from stupid idea of making "offensive HMGs". If it is offensive, and more powerfull than your mainline infantry, it means that you will spam it instead infantry.

Look at all other factions, they mostly don't spam HMGs? Why? Because:

1. They are all defensive and doing crowd control work good in small numbers + some factions have alternative HMG - bunkers. For to hold same number of soldiers, that can hold 1 MG-42 at once I need 3 maxims (!), compare their arcs of fire. Looks like a reason for spam for me. At least, that's why I spam them.

2. Mainline infantry of ALL other factions is not so disgusting and weak, like soviet. Seriously, conscripts are awfull, penals even worse... People saying "conscripts are fine, penals awesome, storms OP, bla-bla...". Really? Imagine, that instead of Grenadeers or Volksgrenadeers axis factions should use for mainline infantry only and only Osttrupens. And no Obers for you, no Panzergrenadeers - today they are all in few doctrines. Imagined? Now you understand how bad situation with infantry in USSR.

I think, USSR's infantry should be pretty like vCoH USF's infantry. Riflemans there were also 6 man squads with unlockable grenades. But... they also had 2 BaR upgrade, that could scale them for late, their AT grenades were OP as hell and they could be buffed by that strange building upgrades for to eat less popcap, get veterancy faster and reinforce cheaper.

I have an idea - maybe USSR should have those "med-buildings" from vCoH, that could "repair" injured soldiers and give you free squads back? Looks pretty reasonable and looks nice with design of faction.

What do you think about it?

P.S. And let Maxim MG then be deffensive as all others - with wide arc of fire and good AoE supression and long setup/packup time. Guess, it will stop spamming of it.
14 Apr 2016, 10:18 AM

As I said my perspective is limited and Soviets are by far the faction I have the least experience with (I generally have only time for 2-3 games per week) but I found 3 or 4 Cons opening with mortar and Maxim as support to be a very strong build.
Maxims just seem to be more easy to use. But again, I'm not the one to talk balance with. There are far better players then me with a greater perspective on things. I just "feel" that Soviets are already a pretty strong faction and by far the one I struggle the most when playing against 'em.
14 Apr 2016, 10:21 AM

Vet4 obers? :snfPeter:
14 Apr 2016, 10:39 AM

I thought, that drawback for quick setup/packup is smallest arc of fire in game and pretty small AoE supression. Isn't that enough for that? All MG's in game can into "crowd control". But maxim totally can't, and that's very bad.

About single target supression - it's not that fast, actually. DShK pinning infantry fast, ok, but Maxim's supression is pretty similar with MG-42's. Only different AoEs.

Anyway, let it be so, but something should be done about it's movement. Maxim's mobility and speed hardly suffering from that "moving on circle" and such stuff, caused by that ridiculous platform.

Aoe is not much of an advantage as many people think. good players will split up their squads and assault a mg directly on the side of the arches. if you are using the maxim on a cut of point it will work just fine
14 Apr 2016, 11:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2016, 10:39 AMZyllen

Aoe is not much of an advantage as many people think. good players will split up their squads and assault a mg directly on the side of the arches. if you are using the maxim on a cut of point it will work just fine

Squad splitin is also deadly for Maxim. It's setup/packup time not that fast to be effective against split-push. More than that - MG-42/Vikkers/0.50 cal doesn't need to packup and setup again to change split-pushing targets. It just can (slowly but still) turn it's barrel on target and shoot.

What is faster: just turn your gun on turget or packup, turn, and setup your gun again and again? More than that, last one requires from you way more microcontroling.
14 Apr 2016, 11:32 AM

Squad splitin is also deadly for Maxim. It's setup/packup time not that fast to be effective against split-push. More than that - MG-42/Vikkers/0.50 cal doesn't need to packup and setup again to change split-pushing targets. It just can (slowly but still) turn it's barrel on target and shoot.

What is faster: just turn your gun on turget or packup, turn, and setup your gun again and again? More than that, last one requires from you way more microcontroling.

i never said otherwise. but the maxims 6 man squad and fast setup time allows it work much more independently then the other mg's. until the squads with lmg's come calling . when that happens the maxims loses some of its edge.
14 Apr 2016, 11:54 AM

That's the problem with Maxim: as a support weapon it sucks, use it as mainline inf and it rekts Axis forces.
14 Apr 2016, 13:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2016, 06:11 AMDiePest

Now I'm relieved...am I? ;)

I for one am eagerly awaiting the upcoming "Assault Grenadiers 2 stronk" thread.

As to the Maxim wheels, motorcycle pathing is a bit of a pain sometimes, right up there with the gun not teleporting when the guy carrying it is dropped. Hopefully this'll be changed when the Maxim finally gets nerfed to actually support.
14 Apr 2016, 13:14 PM

I for one am eagerly awaiting the upcoming "Assault Grenadiers 2 stronk" thread.

Any time, just visit official forums, its there already :romeoHype:
14 Apr 2016, 13:18 PM

As to the Maxim wheels, motorcycle pathing is a bit of a pain sometimes, right up there with the gun not teleporting when the guy carrying it is dropped. Hopefully this'll be changed when the Maxim finally gets nerfed to actually support.

I want, more than anyone, turining Maxim HMG from "assault MG" to "support", even if someone thinks, that it will be "nerf". It would be nerf for Maxim itself, but real buff for entire USSR faction!

Make Maxim HMG real support gun, like MG-42, like Vikkers... Wide arc of fire, good AoE supression and long setup/packup time. Can't wait for that!
14 Apr 2016, 13:35 PM

well, then, UKF is the only one with 360º supression emplacement
and SU the only one with 360º suppression infantery
and OST the only one with 360º supression armor

why SU is not good, but others are?????

not saying I like that idea...but your argument.....
14 Apr 2016, 13:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2016, 13:35 PMFul4n0

and OST the only one with 360º supression armor

help me with that, ostwind? doenst suppress

btw SU has the QUAD for 360° suppression
14 Apr 2016, 13:45 PM

I suppouse, he meant OKW with 221+Flak2cm. And FlakTruck. Which is really annoying.
14 Apr 2016, 13:47 PM

yep, I think you are right...I though ostwing has supression capabilities....

and in addition I´ve missed that SU Quad...more argument to don´t say not to include a new 360º supression platform IMHO.

Sorry for the error, my fault (I missed too those pesky vet4 obers btw, so that maxim wouldn´t be the only 360º inf based platform).

Again, not saying this 360 supression thing on maxim is a good idea...I think getting closer to others mg is a better aproach, I mean giving it better defensive capabilities...that way, maxim as mainline infantery couldn´t be viable and SU could get a great crowd control tool as other factions have.
14 Apr 2016, 14:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2016, 10:21 AMKatitof

Vet4 obers? :snfPeter:

repeat with me "vet 4 ober dat dont get wiped by a shell ho rnjesus i pray to you for your mercy":snfPeter:
14 Apr 2016, 15:42 PM
Patrion 14

6 men is a huge boon against snipers. And while they can push off the mg just the same, the maxim is beefier in raw hit points. I dunno if it's actually much more survivable because when they drop the gun they have to pick it back up again though.

The German sniper is balanced against 6 man squads. It kills a 6 man squad about 2 seconds faster than a soviet sniper kills a 4 man squad, which coincidently is also the reason why the ost sniper overperforms against any faction other than soviets and the soviet sniper underperforms against OKW.

Having 6 men doesn't help in any way against the ost sniper other than that you'll hear 5 shots before you lose your mg instead of 3. But those shots will be a lot closer to each other ;)
14 Apr 2016, 16:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2016, 13:14 PMKatitof

Any time, just visit official forums, its there already :romeoHype:

Hehehehehe, AssGrens = Shocks, totz legit.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★