Login

russian armor

Comet too inaccurate

7 Feb 2016, 11:23 AM

The Comet misses far too many shots which is probably connected to a missing projectile. Despite having almost just half of the scatter value of a Panther it misses significantly more often than a Panther.

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Feb 2016, 07:44 AMVolsky

When your unit targets another and fires, it makes an accuracy roll. If the roll is successful, then the round is guarenteed to hit the target; scatter is rendered irrelevant unless the projectile is set to be ballistic (following a parabolic arc), and has the tp_artillery collision type. tp_homing is what causes the 'heat-seeking' effect to occur. tp_artillery doesn't make use of any accuracy value; it relies solely on accuracy (thus, any accuracy bonuses for units like artillery or the KV-2 are useless)

If the shot does NOT roll a hit, scatter is now in play. Calculations are made, RNGsus rolls his dice/scratches his balls/both and a random path within that weapon's scatter profile is determined. Any object that the projectile is set to be able to collide with that happens to be in the way of that projectile will catch it with their teeth, but if the projectile is set NOT to collide with something (like fences), it will simply fly straight through and impact the ground.
7 Feb 2016, 11:34 AM
Donator 11

Volsky forgot one thing, scatter also is used when you attack ground, its done the same way as a missed shot BUT it may still hit becouse the thing you are aming at is not primary target.
7 Feb 2016, 13:08 PM
Patrion 28

yup, comet only hits when it rolls; never on scatter.
7 Feb 2016, 13:14 PM

The Comet misses far too many shots which is probably connected to a missing projectile. Despite having almost just half of the scatter value of a Panther it misses significantly more often than a Panther.

Your title is rather misleading. Comet has the same accuracy as the panther but better modifier on the move and it also usually fire on targets with bigger size.

Comet is not inaccurate, it simply (probably) can not hit via collision...
7 Feb 2016, 14:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Feb 2016, 13:14 PMMyself

Comet is not inaccurate, it simply (probably) can not hit via collision...

And that's why it becomes too inaccurate. Let's say both tanks shoot at a vehicle with a target size of 20 (a StuG for example) at far distance. Both have a 60% chance to hit it. However, if they don't hit, there´s a good chance for the Panther to hit with scatter. The Comet does not have that chance.

The overall amount of hits matters and is perceived as accuracy by the player. I did not argue about the accuracy modifier.
7 Feb 2016, 15:12 PM

The overall amount of hits matters and is perceived as accuracy by the player. I did not argue about the accuracy modifier.

As as I said it very confusing when you use the terms inaccurate/accuracy and you are referring to hits via collisions and not hit via accuracy check....
7 Feb 2016, 20:03 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

TL;DR: fix projectile which was supposed to be fixed.
7 Feb 2016, 20:40 PM

I don't understand why they changed the FF but not the Comet. The comet suffers far more from missed shots and the FF rarely misses vehicle targets anyways, I would have thought the Comet would have gotten a projectile while the FF retained the awesome high-velocity effects. Or at least keep the original effects with a faster, invisible shell
8 Feb 2016, 02:59 AM

Hello Red.

I think you are completely right. Damn Comet either hits or misses and no in between hurts the unit.
8 Feb 2016, 04:33 AM

Er - so do we actually have proof that its still broken (since it was patched earlier if I'm not mistaken) ?
8 Feb 2016, 10:29 AM

Er - so do we actually have proof that its still broken (since it was patched earlier if I'm not mistaken) ?

1. Attack ground behind any tabk; the shot will just phase through
2. Attribute editor. There is no projectile associated with the weapon (relic did fix firefly and the 17pdr though; both of them were afflicted by the same issue on release)
8 Feb 2016, 11:29 AM
Patrion 14

Stand still
8 Feb 2016, 12:12 PM
8 Feb 2016, 12:31 PM
Referee Badge
Benefactor 347

Its good like it is. High range against tanks. Decent damage against big tanks, like tiger. And if you dont move it snipes really good infantry too
8 Feb 2016, 14:28 PM

2. Attribute editor. There is no projectile associated with the weapon (relic did fix firefly and the 17pdr though; both of them were afflicted by the same issue on release)

Thanks, I didn't know if we were just taking OPs word for it or not.

In that case it should be fixed, if anything because attack ground is one of the major counterplay options to Panzer Tactician. Not like attack ground really affects Comet's baseline performance anyway.
8 Feb 2016, 15:43 PM
Donator 11

+1
Attacking ground wont work with the comet basically.
8 Feb 2016, 16:06 PM

+1
Attacking ground wont work with the comet basically.

Close but no cigar.

Attack ground vs infantry & weapon teams will work just fine.

It's attack ground vs tanks which is broken. While it is possible to damage tanks, the odds are very slim (your shot needs to land directly beneath the tank; and even then, I am not sure how tank hitboxes behave).

Basically, this means that you can hardcounter a Comet by popping smoke and standing still with your Puma/P4.

#SmokeAndStandStill
8 Feb 2016, 16:10 PM

Does someone know why relic didnt Gave them projectiles in the first place?o.O i cant find any reasonable reason for it
8 Feb 2016, 16:57 PM

Does someone know why relic didnt Gave them projectiles in the first place?o.O i cant find any reasonable reason for it

I don't know why, but I can only speculate.

My theory is that they wanted to implement "ultra-high velocity shell" effects into the game. If a shell is travelling that fast anyway, they might have thought that it wouldn't make sense to spawn/animate a shell anyway.

The downsides are the following:
- This seems to mess with how collisions are calculated in the game
- It might also have something to do with the fact that non-penetrating hits share the same visuals as penetrating hits

I base my theory on the following:
- I remember watching one of those Relic sneak-peek casts about the Brits. When the devs were talking about the Firefly they were raving about the ultra-high velocity projectile physics they were introducing with the Brits.
- IRL, If I'm not mistaken, the 17pdr, Firefly and Comet all fired the same projectile
- In game, the 17pdr, Firefly and Comet all suffered from the missing-projectile curse for a long time

I am not sure exactly when the 17pdr and the Firefly were fixed - this was mentioned in 2 separate patch notes actually. Nowadays the 17pdr and the Firefly do have a projectile.

TBH, this thread belongs to the Bug Forums section :p
#CometProjectileMatters
WHO
8 Feb 2016, 19:33 PM

I feel like there's more to it than this. When I was making a video about the comet, I parked a tank in directly front of the comet and attacked ground way in the distance and the shots hit every time.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★