Login

russian armor

Barbed Wire

18 Dec 2015, 18:50 PM

I was just thinking about this lately, and how they aren't all that attractive to use in a serious match. For being an anti infantry barrier, these "barriers" do little to stop them. Any hand held AT, be it Schreks, Bazookas or PIATS, renders them worthless. Much of the time, they go down in one hit.

I think Relic should consider this from a gameplay point of view and buff them Infantry AT and AT Gun shots. As it stands now, it's a waste of resources to get Wire Cutters because there are so many other methods that clear them faster and more effectively.

The time you took to build these barriers should surely be allowed to be an effective obstacle against infantry heavy tactics. What do you guys think?
18 Dec 2015, 18:58 PM

Wire cutters come with minesweeper upgrade, which is never a waste of resources. Increasing durability of wire would only result in people rushing to lock down area of the maps with wire and tank traps early on, and the game would turn into even more of a boring arty campfest than it already sometimes is.
19 Dec 2015, 14:47 PM

But that wouldn't change the fact vehicles can run them over too. Something I'm fine with of course. I mean is it really a good thing for this game when something so basic for shaping the battlefield can't be used competitively?

Not asking for them to be immune or anything here. Just need them to at least slow an advance (Maybe take three or four Infantry AT shots as opposed to one). Plus you said it yourself, Minesweeper upgrade is never a waste of resources.
19 Dec 2015, 14:56 PM

Barbed wire is free, why are you complaining
19 Dec 2015, 15:42 PM

Personally I think Minesweeper should also grant Assault Grenadier MP 40's / Guards Mosin-Nagants too, because Ost and Sov have no way to increase repair rate other than Veterancy 2, which is near impossible to achieve with a Minesweeper.
19 Dec 2015, 15:58 PM

I was just thinking about this lately, and how they aren't all that attractive to use in a serious match. For being an anti infantry barrier, these "barriers" do little to stop them. Any hand held AT, be it Schreks, Bazookas or PIATS, renders them worthless. Much of the time, they go down in one hit.

I think Relic should consider this from a gameplay point of view and buff them Infantry AT and AT Gun shots. As it stands now, it's a waste of resources to get Wire Cutters because there are so many other methods that clear them faster and more effectively.

The time you took to build these barriers should surely be allowed to be an effective obstacle against infantry heavy tactics. What do you guys think?

This is only one side of an ability that is definitely more complex. To make an analogy, it's like saying that MG's are weak at the moment because they get flanked.

More often than not, it comes down to strategy and tactics. You can't expect to wire off an area and keep it protected, the wire will, as you said, get removed or destroyed. But if you use it in synergy with your forces, then it works wonders.

It being free is a bit of a problem to me, since it gets spammed a lot and its not pretty :P
19 Dec 2015, 17:13 PM

This is only one side of an ability that is definitely more complex. To make an analogy, it's like saying that MG's are weak at the moment because they get flanked.

More often than not, it comes down to strategy and tactics. You can't expect to wire off an area and keep it protected, the wire will, as you said, get removed or destroyed. But if you use it in synergy with your forces, then it works wonders.

It being free is a bit of a problem to me, since it gets spammed a lot and its not pretty :P

As I have already said, I'm not expecting the wire to be immune to damage, just more resistant. I am well aware that wire alone is not enough to hold an area and never should be. But on huge maps this wire more or less becomes essential since you cannot defend every area.

Here's a few key points for people on my idea.

Barbed Wire should be more resistant to Infantry AT ALONE up to three or four hits. Barbed Wire health remains untouched.

This means High Explosives, Mortar Rounds, Tank Shells, Vehicle Crush, Artillery and Engineer Units will all ruthlessly destroy these barriers with ease, as they do now. No extra resistence to these things! Effective vs only one type of weapon alone. Infantry AT.

I fail to see any good reason why people don't want these things to be worth building. Seriously, how often do you see Barbed Wire get used at high level play?

19 Dec 2015, 17:17 PM

Yeah i miss old OKW wire MVGame
19 Dec 2015, 22:20 PM
Donator 33

Remember barbedwire from 2013? that could only be crushed by Medium and Heavy tanks, Light vehicles could drive over the wire but infantry could not run over it, and that lead to some "instresting" fights on Pripyat where players rushed to the middle of the map to plant barbedwire that could only be cut down with wirecutters or later by shooting at it with a AT gun or driving over it with a tank
20 Dec 2015, 01:08 AM
Donator 11

. Seriously, how often do you see Barbed Wire get used at high level play?

very often... to deny cover.
22 Dec 2015, 02:46 AM

This means High Explosives, Mortar Rounds, Tank Shells, Vehicle Crush, Artillery and Engineer Units will all ruthlessly destroy these barriers with ease, as they do now. No extra resistence to these things! Effective vs only one type of weapon alone. Infantry AT.

Lol, why would you use a tank to take out a wire by shooting at it?
Just run over it man!

Plus even the smallest of vehicles (soviet 1 man troop transport or Kubel) can just drive over it, and whualla, a way thru
22 Dec 2015, 05:13 AM

Wow. If This is not a l2p issue
23 Dec 2015, 05:49 AM

Elitist douchebags... I know how to play the fucking game and have played so successfully for many years. Without Barbed wire. It's just a minor complaint and I was going to let this topic die since there's obviously disagreement. I swear to God, I am constantly reminded of the reason I hate this community.

Lol, why would you use a tank to take out a wire by shooting at it?
Just run over it man!

Plus even the smallest of vehicles (soviet 1 man troop transport or Kubel) can just drive over it, and whualla, a way thru

Read! I said immediately after tank shells, "Vehicle Crush".

I'm done! Close this topic.
23 Dec 2015, 07:21 AM

Ghost barb wire? Wiring all green cover? Circle-ghost-wiring fuel and muni points? Wiring building doors? Ghost-wiring retreat paths?

Sorry, its l2p, barb wire can change whole match.
23 Dec 2015, 07:36 AM

I know all those tricks. Every last one. However, watching WW2 documentaries on how much trouble Barbed Wire caused made me dream for those moments being brought into the game. Using explosives like the first scene inthe first mission of the CoH1 campaign. So I decided to share that vision and wanted them to function that way. Only to have it get shattered by elistists who can't embrace possible change and don't even want to bloody discuss it. Just one idea is enough to bring the snobbery out in people.

And admittedly, I haven't watched replays for a long time and stopped building Wire a lot when allies would run over it all the time. So yeah...

Not that it matters, I give up on the idea. Lock the topic, someone.
23 Dec 2015, 16:54 PM
Donator 33

I know all those tricks. Every last one. However, watching WW2 documentaries on how much trouble Barbed Wire caused made me dream for those moments being brought into the game. Using explosives like the first scene inthe first mission of the CoH1 campaign. So I decided to share that vision and wanted them to function that way. Only to have it get shattered by elistists who can't embrace possible change and don't even want to bloody discuss it. Just one idea is enough to bring the snobbery out in people.

And admittedly, I haven't watched replays for a long time and stopped building Wire a lot when allies would run over it all the time. So yeah...

Not that it matters, I give up on the idea. Lock the topic, someone.

COH 2 has less defensive options than in COH 1, where you could camp in 1 part of the map and have no worries for the rest of the game, im sure you would like to build a solid defence line with mines and barbedwire protected by MG´s and AT guns, but doing that is difficult since the barbedwire can be removed very easily and it takes longer to build than in COH 1

(Even if you manage to build a set on barbedwire the missed shots from tanks and AT guns scatter all over the map and usually hit the barbedwire and not the enemy, thus reducing its effectiveness even more)
23 Dec 2015, 17:03 PM

I'd like to thank you for your consistently respectful input and I very much appreciate it, ATCF. Necrophagist too. Not a hint of condescension. :)

But aye, they do take longer in this game to set up, definitely noticed that. Not to mention that if you are using a faction with no Tank Traps, it's hard to use them in their intended design. I guess I'll just have to accept it.
23 Dec 2015, 17:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2015, 07:21 AMJadame!
Ghost barb wire? Wiring all green cover? Circle-ghost-wiring fuel and muni points? Wiring building doors? Ghost-wiring retreat paths?

Sorry, its l2p, barb wire can change whole match.

Ghost wire is abusing game mechanics , it is not how it should be used. I think ghostwiring is the same as exploting a bug. And its much worse if player ghotswire to mess up with pathing.

Use it if you want but please dont tell it to comunity or soon we will have ghostwire meta
23 Dec 2015, 17:25 PM

Considering wire is already used a fair amount by good players, it sounds like you want wire everywhere by everyone making it difficult for any infantry to move about. This is not the sort of game play other players want.
23 Dec 2015, 18:10 PM

Wire everywhere wasn't exactly what I had in mind. We all need freedom of movement on the battlefield after all. Not pushing for this anymore but I'm sure they could have balanced it by tweaking the build time or something.

Not to mention it would have made movement difficult only if there's no combined arms. No Mortars, no explosives, no engineers, no vehicles, no entry. And cool moments like smoke in front of those barriers and having engineers move in with explosives or wire cutters. That's the sort of things I would have loved to see as it would be more interesting to fight against.

Ghost wire is abusing game mechanics , it is not how it should be used. I think ghostwiring is the same as exploting a bug. And its much worse if player ghotswire to mess up with pathing.

Use it if you want but please dont tell it to comunity or soon we will have ghostwire meta

Agreed 100%.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS