Login

russian armor

Why do S mines have signs?

PAGES (7)down
10 Nov 2015, 10:38 AM

how often do you see them? at my noob elo never and all the games i watched in ocf noone did build one too. so maybe theres a sweet spot between highest skilled and noobs were everyone is building these "fine" mines.

I've seen them used plenty of times in ladder games.

High level players micro their units so effectively they're unlikely to be caught running a squad into an s-mine field, tho I have seen it happen.

10 Nov 2015, 10:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Nov 2015, 10:38 AMwuff

High level players micro their units so effectively they're unlikely to be caught running a squad into an s-mine field, tho I have seen it happen.

apologize, they may be fine then looking at your ranks.
10 Nov 2015, 11:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Nov 2015, 05:29 AMUnited

I think its just when a unit is useless for a long time, people just accept it and move on. Penals have been garbage for almost as long as Coh2 has been alive, people mention it sometimes but for the most part its accepted because "reasons"
Like the SU-76. I remember that it was complete crap until it's buff came and made it worthy of being called a tank.
10 Nov 2015, 12:10 PM

Why not just remove the signs and give it suppression?

Solves wiping problem (unless you are REALLY not paying attention), retains power, gets rid of the literal signpost telling the enemy where you have mined.
10 Nov 2015, 12:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Nov 2015, 10:38 AMwuff

I actually used them effectively by placing them on far away points, where the opponent is often just using shift + cap.

With the 3x reduced mine cost bulletin it is easy to spam them. Even better with the fuel to ammo conversion.

In 2v2s it is also good for securing VPs. Then target the minesweeper squads with priority. It can be incredibly frustrating to play against, increasing the micro tax of your opponent. Osttruppen + Paks + MG42s + all your resources put into Tellermines and S-mines (with ammo conversion) is incredibly cheesy.
10 Nov 2015, 12:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Nov 2015, 12:39 PMButcher
I actually used them effectively by placing them on far away points, where the opponent is often just using shift + cap.

With the 3x reduced mine cost bulletin it is easy to spam them. Even better with the fuel to ammo conversion.

In 2v2s it is also good for securing VPs. Then target the minesweeper squads with priority. It can be incredibly frustrating to play against, increasing the micro tax of your opponent.

still seems inferior to just placing a mine on a vp and watch that squad getting wiped ( especially if its under fire and loses a model and/or health) looks stylisher thought to have a pio trying to clear a minefield.
10 Nov 2015, 12:42 PM

still seems inferior to just placing a mine on a vp and watch that squad getting wiped ( especially if its under fire and loses a model and/or health) looks stylisher thought to have a pio trying to clear a minefield.
Point is the synergy with ammo conversion and the area denial (though the OP does not want to hear that) in combination with MGs and Paks. They are not supposed to directly kill enemy units but annoy the other player and block the path for infantry. A minefield supporting an MG42 is quite efficient.
nee
10 Nov 2015, 12:54 PM

I'd think it's a balance issue and as mainly Axis player I am fine with sign posts being visible.
I've always thought it was just visible to your own side though, since that seemed more logical...

I mean the minefield is bigger than individually placed mines clusters, and if you position them in the right place and right angles they can be hard to detect in themselves.

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Nov 2015, 12:10 PMKleft
Why not just remove the signs and give it suppression?

Solves wiping problem (unless you are REALLY not paying attention), retains power, gets rid of the literal signpost telling the enemy where you have mined.

IMO that would only work if suppression also works on retreating units, which it currently does not. It removes an element of the gameplay where you can exploit the feature by just having your men retreat through a minefield and detonate them (being suppressed or not); this does not require deploying engineers with minesweepers.

True, any good opponent with a keen eye will spot any potential place for mines and a signpost is a giveaway, but I think as Ostheer or OKW's Fortification Doctrine, minefields are best used alongside things like bunkers, anyways.

Still, removing signposts from enemy vision and making it cloaked like the mines is something to consider. I don't know if it's possible or easy to make the signposts more detectable so the enemy would at least have to be a bit close to the minefield to give it away.
10 Nov 2015, 13:05 PM
Donator 22

the s-mine field is fine. Without those signs, the s-mines would be op. Even very good players are not always careful enough and walk into the s-mine field.
Use some sneaky pios and lay down some s-mines on the retreat path -> profit
10 Nov 2015, 13:17 PM

Why would you deliberately retreat through an s mine field under any circumstances o.0?

Retreating or not just walking straight through will wipe the squad, which is the best case scenario when you build an s mine field anyway.
10 Nov 2015, 13:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Nov 2015, 13:17 PMKleft
Why would you deliberately retreat through an s mine field under any circumstances o.0?

Because you don't have control over retreating units and pios build minefield extremely fast?
10 Nov 2015, 13:33 PM

S-mine is a denial area tool while with mine, you have to literally walk on the exact emplacement.
With a mine, you can't deny a capping flag, you just hope to get lucky that he goes right in the mine.
With a S-mine, he can't cap the flag at all before removing them (or he is soviet and use its vet1 tank :foreveralone: )

If you don't see the difference and understand why S-mines have indicators, can't help you more.
10 Nov 2015, 13:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Nov 2015, 13:26 PMKatitof

Because you don't have control over retreating units and pios build minefield extremely fast?

No the other guy was saying that you could exploit the fact that the minefield had suppression by retreating a squad through it rather than sweeping it with a sweeper squad.

Which i think is insane because if you retreat through an s mine field your gonna get wiped
10 Nov 2015, 14:23 PM

That's bullshit, they have the same radius as every other mine (5), Demos have 6 (sovietssoviets) or 8 (usfusf).

What do you expect from an Allies fanboy who can only play US?:p
10 Nov 2015, 14:26 PM

I can't believe no one wants to add suppression to all mines
10 Nov 2015, 14:39 PM

I can't believe no one wants to add suppression to all mines

I want Infantry Reactions back.
10 Nov 2015, 14:46 PM
Donator 11

There are 2 usefull strategies involving s-mines that are not area denial:
1. Building mines on retreat paths: every wipe is a treasure, such minefield can win you the game and opponent cannot soft retreat in every situation.
2. Building teller inside a s-mine field. It is especially good against usf as they have a lot of tanks that die to tellers. Medium tanks are commonly used to clear s-mine fields as they trigger them but take close to no damage and signs dissapear when last mine is detonated. If your opponent tries this he will usually loose his tanks on teller. Did it many times, players for some reason prefere tanks to sweepers in terms of sweeping so it wins games sometimes.

As for area denial its best used on VP. Players usually tend to keep sweepers with their main force and tanks in order to maximise their effect. That means units send for capping undefended vp usually wont be able to sweep it. Also if you keep it under watch of bunker it cant be sweeped and takes no pop cap!

As you can see s-mines have many uses. They are also used by top players and that means something.
10 Nov 2015, 14:51 PM

Dont get me wrong but you will notice them only 50 % of times max. Agains good players you wont notice them unitl its too late. If he place them behind sightblocker or somewhere on flank you will usually loose your squad. Or he will place them on your cut off and sit back with his mg. Try to sweep them away.

I think theyre great , i use them a lot they are HUGE areal denial not i may wipe a squad mines. Also teller mine is best AT mine because enemy wont notice tellers unit its too late (only chance to notice them is sweeper)
10 Nov 2015, 14:57 PM

Actually each of 15 minefield pieces you need to create will randomly throw 4 soviet 5 munny mines near the build mine. Or in other world you will have 4 mines near each sign , every onf them does 40 DMG
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS