Login

russian armor

Optimization patch for the love of RNG gods

PAGES (9)down
27 Oct 2015, 10:26 AM

probably splats. that was an issue in dow2 as well.

I think it's a large part of the issue, but not the whole. However if you look in the world builder lots of the in game textures are actually made from splats and splines leading to huge performance issues, whereas on DoW II you could have 8 different painted textures, in this I believe you can only use 1, correct me if I'm wrong. This means if you want road surfaces or paths you have to use splines, so maps have excessive numbers of these in CoH 2.
27 Oct 2015, 10:44 AM

+1

It's becoming so sad that even the best rigs are complaining that they get 25 fps in the lategame.
Relic, seriously.

Stop +1ing each other and actually do something useful.

You can find your log files in your my documents/my games company of heroes 2 folder. The important one is "warnings.log".

Dude, it's not a case of what piece of hardware causes certain problems. It's about the game itself that is poorly optimized, about everyone having memory leaks (it does not matter how big they are). It's about a 'global' problem for everyone which does not need any more clarification than that.
27 Oct 2015, 10:50 AM

Just commenting here to keep this thread visible. Optimization patch is needed! Badly!

+1
27 Oct 2015, 11:07 AM
Patrion 310

The game generally has run pretty decent for me since release (but that is mostly due to having a decent PC I suspect).

Currently performance for me is decent but I do have a memory leak (just don't tend to notice it due to 16GB RAM). I find after playing lots of 4's that some buildings start to turn pink and the game requires a restart but performance is still mostly OK.

Bug splats seem to come and go. Last week I had about 4 bug splats in a row after every game, yet sometimes I can play all day without any. My favourite is when the game crashes and errors saying it can't create a log (:hansGG: Relic). I do get a 1-3 sec freeze every so often but no clue whats causing that - its only started happening recently.

I've not really noticed my frame rate dropping playing 2's even into late game but I will start logging FPS to check.

I run the game @ 2560 x 1440, maximum settings aside from AA which is set to medium I believe.

i7-5930K @ Stock (Used to run an i7-2600K @ 4.7GHz, game ran a bit better due to higher clock speed but not much different)
16GB DDR4 2666
2x R9 290 @ 290x (1075 / 1250) (I'm aware game only uses one)
Game is installed on a 500GB SSD
Windows 7 Pro (just upgraded to Win 10 Pro, will see what its like on a new OS)
27 Oct 2015, 11:29 AM

+1 this thread.

Random freezes, restarting the game every 3rd match to get my fps back up, blah blah blah game runs like crap
27 Oct 2015, 11:36 AM

+1
At release the game had a bad optimization and Relic keeps adding new features (more fire and smoke) with the release of the new armies and so the performance falls more and more.
I like the new effects but Relic should step up and fix the damn performance.
But i guess they cant, the engine is to old for that and has reached its full potential. Thats to bad.
I hope they will use a new one in the future (for coh3 maybe).
27 Oct 2015, 11:44 AM
Patrion 15

"The First Rule of Program Optimization: Don't do it. The Second Rule of Program Optimization (for experts only!): Don't do it yet." — Michael A. Jackson

Seriously though, where did the "COH2 is poorly optimized" thing come from? The performance issues could be caused by 100s of things, not just "poor optimization".

All that said, performance does need looking at desperately. I'm also running a reasonably high end system and, admittedly while running everything on high, get most if not all of the problems everyone else has described.

Fact is though, COH2 is now 2.5 years old and I'd be reeeallly surprised if they did get permission (because, it will be a permission thing...not an ability thing) to spend $$ tearing stuff down to optimize code or fix low level bugs at this stage in the games life cycle.
27 Oct 2015, 12:12 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Not sure if it's still about permission, these issues have been pointed out since WFA came out (before that we kinda reached a point where optimization was good!) and since then we had Ardennes Assault and British Forces expansions. Both the expansions surely unlocked funds to Relic and from my understanding some work has been put on performance improvements (it's on their roadmap afterall so I'm sure they consider it a priority), that's why I have this idea that whatever is causing issues is not something (probably multiple things) easy to identify nor easy to fix.
27 Oct 2015, 12:19 PM

+1.

Just optimize the friggin' game, Lelic! Fuck new content we want a game that works properly at first!
27 Oct 2015, 12:43 PM
Patrion 15

that's why I have this idea that whatever is causing issues is not something (probably multiple things) easy to identify nor easy to fix.

There is that, tracking down performance issues is a damn nightmare at the best of times.
27 Oct 2015, 12:49 PM

There is that, tracking down performance issues is a damn nightmare at the best of times.

It really depends on their debugging tools.

The GUI is something that could use an overhaul. Scaleform is resource heavy even when well scripted, and with the bloated COH2 GUI I am sure it doesn't help.
27 Oct 2015, 12:51 PM

It's more than 2 years and they haven't even fixed the sound bug yet though still trying.

And you expect them to change the whole engine?
27 Oct 2015, 15:47 PM

+1

Dude, it's not a case of what piece of hardware causes certain problems. It's about the game itself that is poorly optimized, about everyone having memory leaks (it does not matter how big they are). It's about a 'global' problem for everyone which does not need any more clarification than that.

Prove that there's a memory leak.

Gogogo lets see some resource monitors!
27 Oct 2015, 15:51 PM

Prove that there's a memory leak.

Gogogo lets see some resource monitors!

Relic knows it, they've told us plenty of times. No need to prove shit that's already been proved.
27 Oct 2015, 16:50 PM

Permanently Banned
I wahnt to say that for me optimization crash after WFA, but in this year, after flame changes its so OP, after flame/napalm/smoke barrage my game freeze and deley, it so retard, i lose so many games for this reason :( and the most best, that i can no use the same stuff :)ю
27 Oct 2015, 16:51 PM

Relic knows it, they've told us plenty of times. No need to prove shit that's already been proved.

Where is this proof?

Tracking RAM usage isn't hard and +1 doesn't help our cause much. If something is broken and it becomes public, there's much more of an incentive for Relic/Sega to act.

So if you find a memory leak, record it, post it in trending.
27 Oct 2015, 16:53 PM

Where is this proof?

Tracking RAM usage isn't hard and +1 doesn't help our cause much. If something is broken and it becomes public, there's much more of an incentive for Relic/Sega to act.

So if you find a memory leak, record it, post it in trending.

No proof. Riggghhhhhht.
27 Oct 2015, 17:08 PM

No proof. Riggghhhhhht.

It's like I'm talking to a creationist.

No one here is questioning your faith. But the next time you play, "ctrl+alt+del", open your system monitor and track that ram. Take screenshots. Post.
27 Oct 2015, 17:19 PM

+1111111

27 Oct 2015, 17:22 PM

Fix the damn Servers, for the love of the RNG gods :foreveralone:
Can't play with 600 ms ping :foreveralone:
PAGES (9)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L