Login

russian armor

Optimization patch for the love of RNG gods

PAGES (9)down
27 Oct 2015, 17:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Oct 2015, 10:26 AMSwift

I think it's a large part of the issue, but not the whole. However if you look in the world builder lots of the in game textures are actually made from splats and splines leading to huge performance issues, whereas on DoW II you could have 8 different painted textures, in this I believe you can only use 1, correct me if I'm wrong. This means if you want road surfaces or paths you have to use splines, so maps have excessive numbers of these in CoH 2.

You can use more then 1 color to paint the ground. You can paint roads with it, if you want to , BUT it will look awfull and you dont get red cover or speedbonus for vehicles.

Splats and splines are needed for any map that is supposed to look and play "good".
Tbh it has been a while since I was working on a map, but you can quickly and easily fill the map with splats and splines. This can affect the performance because there are also specialeffects tied to some of those ( like the little dustclouds on some roads, for example).

The things that realy make a BIG difference in performance are flames and smoke + to a lesser degree all those "little dustclouds" you can see on every step a soldier makes or when vehicles/tanks drive around. The sad thing is all those specialeffects make the game/map look good, so you want to see many of those when playing, the result is bad performance.

I am not a programmer so I don´t know if this could realy be optimised, but mappers could do every player a favour with just using "specialeffects" where they realy are seen and make a map look good while you are playing it.
Sometimes less is more.

A lot of the official maps and workshop maps could look just as good or better with half the splats, splines and fire, etc. used, if the mappers would have put more effort into the lighting, fog, wind and the transitions.
27 Oct 2015, 20:59 PM

The microstutter is the most frustrating thing. By mid-game you are trying to be all over the map doing flanks and multitasking, and a lot of clicks don't register because the game has frozen. So many squads end up dying to stray nades because you hit move but it doesn't register. Add to that the rather abysmal lag and unit response times that can occur in a lot of games and this game can be immensely frustrating.
27 Oct 2015, 21:15 PM

+1. Optimization should have teh highest priority atm.
27 Oct 2015, 21:24 PM

By far the worst optimized game I have ever seen in my life. It is an absolute embarrassment. But hey Dullehan or whatever can run the game at 4k, that's pretty sweet. Lets all forget 90 percent of the community is having performance problems and just congratulate him on his accomplishment.

27 Oct 2015, 21:36 PM

Should have a poll added, so relic knows the exact number and how intense it is. Daily bugsplats, disconnects resulting in a loss, or input lags is purely unexceptable
27 Oct 2015, 21:51 PM

This just seems to be a new trend in gaming now, games with long-term support loses performance over it's lifetime until it's unplayable on an average PC. It's happened with APB, it's happening with GTAV, and it's happening with CoH2 as well. I'm assuming it's because the developers focus entirely on adding new content, which ends up optimized and in worse cases breaks previous optimizations.
27 Oct 2015, 23:39 PM

OP tried tough :foreveralone:
28 Oct 2015, 00:14 AM
Patrion 28

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=coh2+memory+leak&oq=coh2+memory+leak&gs_l=hp.3..0.699.2535.0.3025.17.8.0.2.2.0.230.568.0j2j1.3.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..13.4.401.0.pYwdpkTtelM

people have been bringing it up for a while. have never had issues myself but i have 16GB of RAM and i seldom play for more than 3 games at a time.
Hux
28 Oct 2015, 00:43 AM
Patrion 14

+1

I hope someone on the Dev team reads this thread.

as feedback it's worth it's weight in gold.

I'd love to see optimization patch next patch
28 Oct 2015, 11:22 AM

If it was up to me, I would have the game redone from scratch. New engine and such. But pump for pure optimization patch
28 Oct 2015, 11:36 AM

It's like I'm talking to a creationist.

No one here is questioning your faith. But the next time you play, "ctrl+alt+del", open your system monitor and track that ram. Take screenshots. Post.

A creationist? Dude stop making yourself look like a compelte fool :D Maybe I'm just a guy who doesn't like to spend time on proving things that already have been proven. So hey, go ahead and spend your time on sending screenshots to Relic cause no one has ever done that before.

28 Oct 2015, 11:54 AM

Should have a poll added, so relic knows the exact number and how intense it is. Daily bugsplats, disconnects resulting in a loss, or input lags is purely unexceptable

I don't think it's needed. If someone from Lelic just looks into this thread, will be seriously concerned. Or he/her should be.
28 Oct 2015, 12:02 PM

Give OKW Lover, bug fixes, less RNG and Balance! >:( Ah and take an example on other Studios, they can !!HOTFIX!! imbalance in just a few days! :facepalm: #E-Sports Confirmed :thumb:

i would really wonder if coh comes back at someday into it :D I mean i love the game like all OKW lovers do but please give us a proper game (now)! :wub:
28 Oct 2015, 12:18 PM

Every single game, every 10 minute the game stutters, then it also lags and sometimes either it crashes or unsync. I can't even play 3 matches in a row with a high-end rig because it bugsplats or freezes for minutes (and then unsync+defeat).
28 Oct 2015, 12:58 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I get the constant freezes. I get the memory shooting up and filling my 12GB and then creating a pagefile. Every first time I open the tac map, it freezes for a few seconds.

To stream coh2 in obsmode, I have to do some ridiculous things:

1) remove all replays from my replay folder (if not I get frequent bugsplats)
2) try to alt-tab as infrequently as possible (this is impossible to avoid as I need to control many other programs whilst streaming)
3) spend the first few moments, after loading into the map, moving the camera around the map and opening and closing the tac map. The process of doing this gets some freezes out of the way while I am in another scene so the viewers don't have to see them.

It's kindof a nightmare.

The memory filling up and windows creating a massive pagefile (I should never need a pagefile, ever) is the biggest evidence that something is wrong with coh2.
28 Oct 2015, 13:03 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

One of the reason I actually don't play the game that often. Why try to get into a bad optimized game that constantly is giving me issues, while I can run Battlefield 4 on Ultra with not less than 100FPS
28 Oct 2015, 13:08 PM
Patrion 14

Considering the people who worked on the basegame are no longer here to tell the new guys how they coded the mess they released back then. I'm doubting a performance patch could ever tie up the nasty memory leaks and crash dumps plaguing us since alpha.

What they could do is fix the new performance issues that came along with brits. Though I don't know if that problem ties back to the performance issues from the past that are still not fixed.
28 Oct 2015, 14:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Oct 2015, 12:49 PMwuff

It really depends on their debugging tools.

The GUI is something that could use an overhaul. Scaleform is resource heavy even when well scripted, and with the bloated COH2 GUI I am sure it doesn't help.

True. Some of their models are also sloppy, with some fully textured Faces mostly for interior of tanks. Don't know about the actual model and their poly count. Although, I think the problem is mostly because of Engine and scripts, not 3D models.

My rig is close to Marcus's (expect I have a different Main Board and I have a GTX760). Random freezes are my major issue. The fps is mostly fine but I don't set all settings on High, some of them on medium.

PAGES (9)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 62
unknown 20
Germany 16

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %