Login

russian armor

Watching SCC final game 1, what can counter 2x sniper

12 Oct 2015, 15:55 PM

There seems to be almost no flaw on DevM's Ostheer strategy. He gets out the 2x sniper and unless you can get a mortar hit or lucky strafe/T-70 flank how can this be countered? Every time KA rushes with cons/shocks the sniper stuns them with his frangible grenade...seen it deployed about 4x now to devastating effect. While I never face players of DevM's skill level, I would think even an intermediate player could devastate players of similar skill range with his build order assuming proper sniper micro.

To those who say KA isn't playing the best, nobody else either in OCF or SCC4 have done much better vs his 2x sniper play either.
12 Oct 2015, 15:59 PM

Permanently Banned
This plus DevM is just so freaking good.
12 Oct 2015, 16:01 PM

People are getting completely outplayed by DevM at a micro/tactical level, it has little to do with their builds.
12 Oct 2015, 16:02 PM

There seems to be almost no flaw on DevM's Ostheer strategy. He gets out the 2x sniper and unless you can get a mortar hit or lucky strafe/T-70 flank how can this be countered? Every time KA rushes with cons/shocks the sniper stuns them with his frangible grenade...seen it deployed about 4x now to devastating effect. While I never face players of DevM's skill level, I would think even an intermediate player could devastate players of similar skill range with his build order assuming proper sniper micro.

To those who say KA isn't playing the best, nobody else either in OCF or SCC4 have done much better vs his 2x sniper play either.

Mortar hits (even directly on the head) do not kill the sniper, just a fyi.

Basically, at the level DevM is playing at, there is no realistic way to counter snipers, except another sniper. This is Relic's fault.

Ostheer has all the tools necessary to protect it from "anti sniper" vehicles, the entire game.

People used to think Soviet sniper sprint was bad... it's nothing compared to flame shot.

Snipers should all be a fragile high risk/reward unit. Sadly it isn't the case.
12 Oct 2015, 16:07 PM
Senior Caster Badge

DevM played against Price's double sniper strategy and won yesterday. I would definitely recommend watching that game. The trick DevM used was to just not lose units, and bring out a counter sniper.

With some excellent micro he manage to get veterancy and weapon upgrades on his squads and then get into a position where the two sniper could no longer efficiently hold off a push without retreating. The game became an epic battle of counter snipes which eventually led to his victory
12 Oct 2015, 16:15 PM

It more has to do with the fact that ostheer at the high level is the allround best faction in 1v1 due to the high number of useful units and actually not 1 or two but more than THREE viable competitive commanders for high level play.

That and langres is very axis biased.
12 Oct 2015, 17:38 PM

DevM played against Price's double sniper strategy and won yesterday. I would definitely recommend watching that game. The trick DevM used was to just not lose units, and bring out a counter sniper.

With some excellent micro he manage to get veterancy and weapon upgrades on his squads and then get into a position where the two sniper could no longer efficiently hold off a push without retreating. The game became an epic battle of counter snipes which eventually led to his victory

is that Vid up yet? and I just hate that double snipers is still so effective that it never makes sense for DEVM to deviate from that as Ost...as others said, as long as it is bracketed by grens/ostruppen there will always be a snare available as long as you keep the muni's in the bank at all times...then the player likely loses their light vehicle and they are screwed even harder as bleed continues...and good point Tatatala, their HP is so high that I think it would take a direct hit from a 82mm mortar to kill the sniper. Maybe HM-120 could do better?

COH2 is definitely not as much about sniper wars as vCOH which I am thankful for since it makes the rest of the game diminished and elevated sniper play to the only thing that really mattered but still the counters available to snipers is pretty poor.
12 Oct 2015, 17:42 PM

Do you have any youtube links for that? Thanks
13 Oct 2015, 04:07 AM
Donator 11

The game has shifted to the advantage of snipers and that really helps those who played a lot of vCoH. But yrs, DevM is good
13 Oct 2015, 04:41 AM

Can't you counter snipe with soviet snipers now?
13 Oct 2015, 04:44 AM
Donator 11

Can't you counter snipe with soviet snipers now?

Yeah, soviet sniper is a great counter to ostheer one right now, especially when you have some light t3 vehicles to protect from 222 rush.
13 Oct 2015, 05:52 AM
Patrion 27

The trick DevM used was to just not lose units

Players hate him! Find out how one man has learned to never lose games with this one weird trick!

:snfPeter:
13 Oct 2015, 06:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Oct 2015, 05:52 AMLumpy

Players hate him! Find out how one man has learned to never lose games with this one weird trick!

:snfPeter:

lol!
13 Oct 2015, 06:49 AM

The game became an epic battle of counter snipes which eventually led to his victory

It has come.... >.<

I will say, take sample size & map into account. Luvnest did well to take out three snipers on Semois Winter with a combination of pressuring the eastern fuel and flanking the bridge cut off, and T70 use. I found it strange that DevM decided to stick to that tactic after losing the first one.

I think Luvnest demonstrated a great degree of metagaming that you would only see at this level when you can start to anticipate play thanks to a familiarity with ones opponent. Luvnest opened T1, requisitioning one scout car, but not really doing anything else with it. I think he thought he could do so 'cos he suspected DevM would either open or rely on snipers, whereas against an unknown player of equal caliber I suspect Luvnest would have opened T2 for the natural versatility it provides. With that said, stealing an MG also changes the dynamic of build choice.

I suppose tactically speaking one should encircle the retreat path, feign an opening to entice a pocket and collapse hopefully with the sniper in it. I can't really see this working on too too many maps unfortunately.
13 Oct 2015, 06:53 AM

Yeah, soviet sniper is a great counter to ostheer one right now, especially when you have some light t3 vehicles to protect from 222 rush.

I'm surprised I saw nobody attempt it. Maybe because building T1 for just 1 sniper is big resource sink
And you are putting your eggs in that basket unless of course you can snipe enough Gren's to make up for your own bleed. In a match today I landed a PM82mm mortar right on a Ostheer vet 0 full health sniper and sure enough he lived. His health Bar was so low that I could barely see any blue. Sad thing is Soviet squad would be wiped in same situation. Especially if sniper LEIG's are on field
13 Oct 2015, 06:55 AM

The game has shifted to the advantage of snipers and that really helps those who played a lot of vCoH. But yrs, DevM is good

I hope relic can change this. Make snipers cost less and fire less often. They are just so powerful still that it seems like every game comes down to who can keep their snipers Alive the longest. Lower ROF and lower cost would mean it wouldn't be game ended if you get counter sniped bit also wouldn't allow you to be bled dry by double snipers by any faction.
13 Oct 2015, 07:14 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Romeo didn't upload those games (if he casted them) to his youtube channel, but the replays are here:

13 Oct 2015, 13:07 PM
Donator 11

I'm surprised I saw nobody attempt it. Maybe because building T1 for just 1 sniper is big resource sink
And you are putting your eggs in that basket unless of course you can snipe enough Gren's to make up for your own bleed. In a match today I landed a PM82mm mortar right on a Ostheer vet 0 full health sniper and sure enough he lived. His health Bar was so low that I could barely see any blue. Sad thing is Soviet squad would be wiped in same situation. Especially if sniper LEIG's are on field

When you think of it double model sniper is better than single model one only in one thing: counter sniping. Why? It is harder to hide (single sniper sometimes can camo on single yellow cover camo made by explosives and shells). It is easier to kill with everything but sniper as it can die to one tank/mortar round with every model having much less than 80 hp. It is also to kill one model with infantry - that couses constant mp bleed on the owner of the sniper instead of the target, sniper model dies easily and it costs 90mp to reinforce. And finally it is possible to snipe both with double sniper (that devm used) and explosive sniper round. To conclude: soviet sniper is best suited to camo on the field and countersnipe, after the countersnipe it can be usefull on the battlefield to snipe grens, pgrens and so on but it is much worse than ost or ukf sniper at this job.
13 Oct 2015, 17:11 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

In a match today I landed a PM82mm mortar right on a Ostheer vet 0 full health sniper and sure enough he lived. His health Bar was so low that I could barely see any blue. Sad thing is Soviet squad would be wiped in same situation. Especially if sniper LEIG's are on field

OH n UKF have 82hp. Mortar shells do 80dmg.

snip

Also no camo on the move.
13 Oct 2015, 17:58 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Actually I kinda wanna disagree. I tried T1 with a sniper to countersnipe devm's sniper in OCF. The Soviet sniper team is extremely clumsy. The moment it steps out of cover it decloaks meanwhile its Ostheer counterpart can walk from one side of the map to another while beeing camouflaged. This means that the Soviet sniper is only able to countersnipe once you pushed your opponent back and set up an ambush. Which is rarely happening since you are short on infantry (maybe 2,3 cons against MG42, 3 Grens, Sniper) and give up a lot of early map control which you would have with a 3 Con T2 opening. Plus the danger of a 222 forces you to either pick a doctrine for guards or T2 for AT gun. If you just go AT nades you will be pushed back eventually.

I really wish that Soviet sniper was just one guy with decent camouflage for manouvering. Plus the spotter is super awkward since he shoots sometimes by himself, revealing the other sniper too. Good players can deal with Soviet sniper quite well to be honest.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 37
Germany 826
unknown 6

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak