Pacific Front

Pacific Front Banzai or No?
Option Distribution Votes
49%
51%
Total votes: 57
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
10 Sep 2015, 02:30 AM

Okay, you guys are going to have to bear with me asking this, but why in all Hell would a Pacific Theater be necessary, let alone feasible in Company of Heroes II?

Anyone who cares to give me a proper argument on how well this project could be carried out, be free to pop your head out.
10 Sep 2015, 02:41 AM

People want to see the Japanese because:

1. It's the Japanese.
2. They're not Germans.

And ignore all other problems with that such as Japan's lack of anything resembling Medium Armour or Anti-Tank (except for mines), and the fact that Japan's fighting entire style heavily relied on everything being fortified and booby trapped before the enemy arrived. It also relied on a foliage heavy environments that the US Marines hated.

Japan put all their effort into their Navy and then their Air Force. The Army was an afterthought, and for the most part this didn't matter because they were either fighting in China where resistance was comparatively primitive, or in the Pacific where they had jungles and heavy fortifications.
10 Sep 2015, 02:43 AM

If Japan was over buffed they would play like nondoctrinal Soviets, if Soviets didn't have scout car, T34/76, SU-85, M5, SU-76M, and Katyusha. Also, if the Zis-3 was replaced by the M-42.

Japan would suck
10 Sep 2015, 02:45 AM

I've always wanted a Japanese faction, ever since the first game. I don't really care so much about a "Pacific Front" so much as I do just the faction itself. A few maps would more than suffice as far as that's concerned.

In CoH, Axis have always been Germany. That's it. Just Germany. eanwhile, Allies get Americans, British, and Soviets, all with their own unique rosters. I've seen enough German factions. With the Eastern Front mod for the first game, I've sat through five of them now. I just want something new. The Axis powers were more than just Germany, although to be fair, Axis might as well have just been called "Germany and the countries helping Germany." Their allies were more or less just manpower reserves. The Japanese, however,fought their own war and fought it on very different terms than the other Axis powers.

If they were made correctly, they could easily be the most unique faction in the game. People argue that it wouldn't be historically accurate for them to be fighting in Europe against, say, the British. And they're right! But who fuckin' cares? I don't want to see another goddamn German faction, and I'm afraid that Relic is going to add another one eventually to balance out the number of teams on each side. :guyokay:

People also argue that their tanks were bad. Which is true. And I personally wouldn't want to see these ridiculous prototype tanks in their in-game arsenal that were never used in real life, because then they're just going to be a Japanese German faction, if you get what I mean. I want to see an Axis power that doesn't rely on brute force to win engagements. There are other ways to make them viable. Look at the recently released British. They have tons of tricks up their sleeve that don't revolve around tanks (not that I'm discounting their tanks). Base howitzers (which I immediately thought would be a good fit for Japanese when I first played Brits), trenches, emplacements, that kind of stuff. Give the Japanese tough infantry. Give them booby traps. Make ambush camouflage, defenses, and traps a core part of their playstyle. Hell, non-doctrinal plane strikes as part of their late game arsenal would be a really interesting, unique way to play. There is so much you could do with them. People tend to just go "eh, their technology is bad, so they can't work in CoH." And if you were to build them in a boring, straightforward manner and expect them to work like Germany, they'd be right. So don't.

One thing I'd like to add, though, is that I'd never want to see a Company of Heroes 3 with just the US and Japanese. That would be boring. I want them to just be an option among many other nations.
10 Sep 2015, 02:49 AM

Permanently Banned
But Japanese tanks :foreveralone:

Or do we get a Lend Lease Panther Battle Group? :hansWUT:
10 Sep 2015, 02:52 AM

But every faction in coh is based on an army that was advanced and had a specialty.

Japan's specialty was air and navy, at the expense of ground forces.

Garbage infantry-knee mortar and stealth are only good things, they had horrible weapons

Garbage command-Japanese commanders were stuck in a WWI mindset for much of the war. This would translate into crappy Commanders

Garbage support weapons-MG sucked, AT guns sucked. Mortars/arty okay I guess.

Light tanks-could be penetrated by small arms. Lol...

Medium tank-lol

Rocket arty-nope

Light vehicles-ehhhh

There's no reason of portraying the Japanese as not a trash faction. If it was done, they wouldn't be Japan anymore. If you want tough numerous infantry, light tanks, and arty, an Italian faction with German goodies would be perfect.
10 Sep 2015, 02:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2015, 02:45 AMKothre
Look at the recently released British. They have tons of tricks up their sleeve that don't revolve around tanks (not that I'm discounting their tanks). Base howitzers (which I immediately thought would be a good fit for Japanese when I first played Brits), trenches, emplacements, that kind of stuff. Give the Japanese tough infantry. Give them booby traps. Make ambush camouflage, defenses, and traps a core part of their playstyle.

This works for the British because when you reach the end of your tech tree, you have all the best stock tanks in the game available to you. Centaur > Ostwind, Cromwell > Panzer IV, Churchill > KV-1, etc. There are also PIATs and the 17 Pounder, which the Japanese had an equivalent to neither one.

Lastly, imagine emplacement spam on the Axis side of things. Imagine emplacement and mine spamming alongside Ost CAS or OKW Defensive. It would be hell, it would be frustrating and very unfun. Not to mention it sounds an awful lot like the detested CoH1 British.
10 Sep 2015, 02:54 AM

Why? Because not everyone like playing as germany and the axis side should be for more than just Germophiles. Japan would bring some aesthetic variety to the axis that includes more then big boxy tanks.

How? Implement them as a "Defense of Japan" army with all the weapons that were mass produced before the end of the war.
10 Sep 2015, 02:56 AM

Implement them as a "Defense of Japan" army with all the weapons that were mass produced before the end of the war.

But then you're just implementing a fantasy fiction army that never actually existed in any form.

You might as well give them T4 Space Marines and it wouldn't be much less out of place.
10 Sep 2015, 02:57 AM

would like a Japan vs US but in a CoH3 rather than a expansion. For Japs to work right and be somewhat authentic there would need to be maps designed specifically for them like in Rising Storm.
10 Sep 2015, 02:58 AM

If Japan was over buffed they would play like nondoctrinal Soviets, if Soviets didn't have scout car, T34/76, SU-85, M5, SU-76M, and Katyusha. Also, if the Zis-3 was replaced by the M-42.

Japan would suck
Funny how the M-42 is the most used AT gun by the soviets and isn't a non-doctrinal unit, yet A would be Japan faction MUST use there little AT gun. It's total not like they didn't have other big guns right?

Everyone knows that the most used weapons are always non-doctrinal ones. Relic never chooses based off balance or anything. That's why the USF has the M10 instead of the Jackson. /s
10 Sep 2015, 03:01 AM

But then you're just implementing a fantasy fiction army that never actually existed in any form.

You might as well give them T4 Space Marines and it wouldn't be much less out of place.
It did exist, it just never saw combat. But you are right this game is all about realistic authenticity. Now if you excuse me I'm going to go watch a replay of my recent game where a cromwell/Jackson combo plowed through the fields of the eastern front. Soooooo much realism.
10 Sep 2015, 03:06 AM

It did exist, it just never saw combat. But you are right this game is all about realistic authenticity. Now if you excuse me I'm going to go watch a replay of my recent game where a cromwell/Jackson combo plowed through the fields of the eastern front. Soooooo much realism.

You know what else never saw combat? T-44, Panther II, T27, IS-3, Maus. Should we add all those too? A Maus would be fun, it's like a Jagdtiger with 360º armour and a turret.
10 Sep 2015, 03:16 AM

You know what else never saw combat? T-44, Panther II, T27, IS-3, Maus. Should we add all those too? A Maus would be fun, it's like a Jagdtiger with 360º armour and a turret.
No because those are overkill for factions that have plenty to choose from already. Those factions wouldn't need those units to be competitive. They wouldn't be adding it for shits and giggles, but so they could make a well rounded faction. Just because exceptions are made doesn't mean we have to go full retard, adding every prototype ever.
10 Sep 2015, 03:30 AM

No because it would have to be literally nothing BUT prototype shit in order to compete. I would much rather see Italians or Finns.
10 Sep 2015, 03:40 AM

The Japanese armies were more equipped to fight with their Asian neighbours than they were with Russian or the US.

If your only response to the European forces is ambush, then you don't have a really interesting CoH2 faction. Don't get me wrong, they were damn good at it, but that doesn't win wars, it only causes more losses.

As Alex said, the Italians, Finns or maybe even the Romanians would be interesting. Now you mention it, maybe include Italians and North Africa. Then you would only need to do so much work :) Give the OKW an Afrika Korps Commander as well and :)
10 Sep 2015, 04:01 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

would like a Japan vs US but in a CoH3 rather than a expansion. For Japs to work right and be somewhat authentic there would need to be maps designed specifically for them like in Rising Storm.
10 Sep 2015, 04:14 AM

No because those are overkill for factions that have plenty to choose from already. Those factions wouldn't need those units to be competitive. They wouldn't be adding it for shits and giggles, but so they could make a well rounded faction. Just because exceptions are made doesn't mean we have to go full retard, adding every prototype ever.

So only one faction gets to use prototypes as their core units? That doesn't sound fair.

Not to mention even their prototypes weren't that great anyway. Their best tank destroyer, of which 2 were made, used a gun inferior to the KwK 40, standard on thousands of Panzer IV's.
10 Sep 2015, 04:43 AM

Not in CoH2.

I would prefer CoH3 not do it either, because there's still a lot to explore in Europe/North Africa faction wise that would be more in keeping with traditional CoH gameplay experience (e.g. armored vehicles).

10 Sep 2015, 04:59 AM

They should include the Japanese because this game is supposed to be about WWII, and the Pacific war was an important part of that conflict.

They can include the Japanese and the Brits give a good model. If the Brits can be an exaggerated version of the Ostheer, then the Japanese can be an exaggerated version of the USF.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 73
unknown 21
United States 15

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak