Login

russian armor

Buff KV-8 45mm Gun

6 Aug 2015, 02:17 AM

So we all know the KV-8, the beast that was once able to flash-fry any Infantry with no chance to escape. Those days are gone now, but that's not the point of this thread. With the KV-8 weakened, people feel it's underpowered, but returning it's power would just make it overperform again.

Instead I propose a buff to the KV-8's forgotten weapon, the 45mm. Currently this thing is useless, it suffers from a very long switch time, low penetration, and low damage. I propose the switch time be reduced to one second, penetration to 100 / 80 / 60, and reload to 2-3 seconds. This allows the KV-8 to chase off light vehicles or wounded tanks, and makes it more worth the tall price without completely nullifying Axis infantry play.
6 Aug 2015, 02:35 AM

well it does felt little under power for its price maybe buff the 45mm to have same stat with the 45mm at gun.
6 Aug 2015, 02:52 AM

I would rather see the KV-8 get a cost adjustment to be honest.

6 Aug 2015, 09:10 AM

Could always boost it back up to the same armor as the KV1 (240 -> 270) so it would be a bit better at deflecting shots. Now that it doesn't instantly cremate infantry it could do with a bit more survivability.
nee
6 Aug 2015, 13:28 PM

One unconventional way to improve KV-8 could be like this:

The 45mm gun uses HE shells, and hits on enemy infantry can Stun them as if you've thrown M24 Stun Grenades at it. The effect won't last long enough for your KV-8 to switch to flamethrower for easy kill, but it DOES delay the enemy's response time to allow other units to kill them.

This can work for vehicles as well: any tanks the 45mm gun hits has a reasonable chance to stun the vehicle's crew: either the weapon crew (the enemy can still run away at full speed but cannot shoot main gun) or driver (vehicle stops moving, but can still fire main gun). Again, the effects are temporary, so the KV-8 doesn't replace any stock unit that needs to do the real killing.
This would turn the KV-8 into an excellent support vehicle, coupled with it's relatively higher armour values. And you can always switch back to flamethrower for usual anti-garrison/ cover, but you lose a potentially useful anti-vehicle support, not unless you want to invest in two KV-8s with different weapons toggled. This still makes the KV-8 a primarily anti-infantry/ support vehicle rather than a T-70 on steroids. It would also justify it's slower movement speed and long weapon toggle time.
6 Aug 2015, 13:54 PM

nee, I think it would do you good if you google the 45mm shell.
Its way too small calliber to use any kind of HE amunition that wouldn't be accelerated firecracker.

Mirror its rof and pen to M-42 and call it a day.
6 Aug 2015, 14:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Aug 2015, 13:28 PMnee
One unconventional way to improve KV-8 could be like this:

The 45mm gun uses HE shells, and hits on enemy infantry can Stun them as if you've thrown M24 Stun Grenades at it. The effect won't last long enough for your KV-8 to switch to flamethrower for easy kill, but it DOES delay the enemy's response time to allow other units to kill them.

Or they can just give its 45mm Gun a buff versus vehicles or decrease its cost. Sometimes the simple solution is the best solution. Plus Flamethrower is already gives it good AI, giving it MORE AI would be pointless.
6 Aug 2015, 15:00 PM
Donator 33

I say give the KV8 an ability to release a bear from its top hatch to kill any near by infantry. Solved.
6 Aug 2015, 15:04 PM
Donator 33

Also a bomb is strapped to said bear to counter tanks that approach.
6 Aug 2015, 18:21 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Mirror its rof and pen to M-42 and call it a day.
6 Aug 2015, 18:34 PM

What i would like to see happen with the KV-8.

-Increase its armor to that of the KV-1
This would help it deal better with blobs, which should be it main role

-Lower its cost to 120 fuel even 115 fuel (would say the some for the KV1)

Neither the KV1 or the KV8 are worth there fuel cost right now. I mean they have better health and armor then most medium tank, but really lake the fire power.

-Make it easier to gain vet

I have never seen one hit vet 3 in like 2 years of playing this game.

-Give it a Vet 1 ability to make a wall of flames (like the Chinese flame tanks from C&C generals)

Would help to deal with blobs, and anything is better the Cap pints vet ability. I mean anything

-i also would be game to some of the changes to the M-42 gun.
6 Aug 2015, 19:36 PM
Developer Relic Badge

What i would like to see happen with the KV-8.

-Increase its armor to that of the KV-1
This would help it deal better with blobs, which should be it main role

-Lower its cost to 120 fuel even 115 fuel (would say the some for the KV1)

Neither the KV1 or the KV8 are worth there fuel cost right now. I mean they have better health and armor then most medium tank, but really lake the fire power.

-Make it easier to gain vet

I have never seen one hit vet 3 in like 2 years of playing this game.

-Give it a Vet 1 ability to make a wall of flames (like the Chinese flame tanks from C&C generals)

Would help to deal with blobs, and anything is better the Cap pints vet ability. I mean anything

-i also would be game to some of the changes to the M-42 gun.

Armour would be good along with veterancy rate(most AI tanks suffer this), but I say no to make it cost less than a PIV in terms of fuel. You're paying for durability, heavy-tank properties(crush) and its firepower isn't horrendous, it's just different as it a sustained DPS unit rather than relying on burst. Veterancy could be the flame wall or another combat boost like the WFA armies tend to get.

On the 45mm gun, I don't see any problem with making it like the 45mm ATG. It would at least shoot fast enough to be a nuisance to tanks when it gets closer along with a weapon swap time reduction.
6 Aug 2015, 19:41 PM

Armour would be good along with veterancy rate(most AI tanks suffer this), but I say no to make it cost less than a PIV in terms of fuel. You're paying for durability, heavy-tank properties(crush) and its firepower isn't horrendous, it's just different as it a sustained DPS unit rather than relying on burst. Veterancy could be the flame wall or another combat boost like the WFA armies tend to get.

On the 45mm gun, I don't see any problem with making it like the 45mm ATG. It would at least shoot fast enough to be a nuisance to tanks when it gets closer along with a weapon swap time reduction.

I would be ok with 125 fuel, but i dont think it is far to compare the KV-8 or KV-1 with the P4. the P4 is so good for its cost, better AI, AT, and with Vet better serviceability that the KV1 or KV8. I think 120 would still be far for what you get from a KV-8 or KV-1
nee
6 Aug 2015, 20:37 PM

Or they can just give its 45mm Gun a buff versus vehicles or decrease its cost. Sometimes the simple solution is the best solution. Plus Flamethrower is already gives it good AI, giving it MORE AI would be pointless.

On second thought I think KV-8 should just not have to toggle between weapons: the flamethrower was installed next to the gun systems, including the coax MG.

I didn't even know the KV-8's gun was worse than the M-42. And the latter is a plinker.
6 Aug 2015, 21:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Aug 2015, 20:37 PMnee
On second thought I think KV-8 should just not have to toggle between weapons: the flamethrower was installed next to the gun systems, including the coax MG.

Pretty sure the ATO replaced the DT in the turret. You're probably thinking of the other DT located on the rear of the turret. The KV-8 in CoH2 still has that.
6 Aug 2015, 22:44 PM

I say give the KV8 an ability to release a bear from its top hatch to kill any near by infantry. Solved.

I 2nd this.
6 Aug 2015, 23:05 PM
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United States 23
unknown 2
unknown 2
United Kingdom 152
Germany 25

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias