Login

russian armor

Ostheer - MG42

PAGES (29)down
17 Feb 2015, 07:54 AM

Dear Relic,

The MG42 was the most superior MG in WW2. One MG can shoot 1200 to 1500 rpm. This is massive supression from ONE gun! COH2's current state of the MG42 has a horrible suppression rate, why is this, dont tell me to make 2 MG42s when the allies MGs the Maxim, the DShk and the 50-Caliber suppress almost immediately with a single MG. Please update the MG42 to a more realistic suppression MG like in WW2 and to shred infantry.

Few notes:

MG42 -
The MG 42 has a proven record of reliability, durability, simplicity, and ease of operation, but is most notable for its ability to produce a high volume of suppressive fire. The MG 42 had one of the highest average cyclic rate of any single-barreled man-portable machine gun: between 1,200 and 1,500 rpm, which results in a distinctive muzzle report.

Maxim - estimated 850 round/min

DShK - estimated 600 rounds/min

50 caliber - estimated 450–600 rpm

I appreciate your time.

Thank You,

ICE
17 Feb 2015, 08:00 AM

What all faction machine guns need -

1.Gunner in back formation like n cruzz's kappatch so not killed first and then in chain whole squad.

2.Suppressed squads grenade throwing range -66%.

3.25% extra recieved accuracy penalty removed(all except for 6 man maximspam)

If these universal changes are enacted mg42 alone would need a minor tweak only - something like 10% suppression or 20% traverse to make use of that arc.Compensate the buff with reducing vet 2 bonus for mg42.Slightly Better early,same later.
17 Feb 2015, 08:39 AM

Buff its long and mid range range dmg out put to LMG34 lvl. :)

Units can stay in its arc of fire with minimal loses for slightly too long.
17 Feb 2015, 11:26 AM

What all faction machine guns need -

1.Gunner in back formation like n cruzz's kappatch so not killed first and then in chain whole squad.

2.Suppressed squads grenade throwing range -66%.

3.25% extra recieved accuracy penalty removed(all except for 6 man maximspam)

If these universal changes are enacted mg42 alone would need a minor tweak only - something like 10% suppression or 20% traverse to make use of that arc.Compensate the buff with reducing vet 2 bonus for mg42.Slightly Better early,same later.

No thanks, I'd rather not have a return to CoH 1 style camp offs with MG's being the standard unit. The reason the MG 42 doesn't suppress as well can easily be attributed to a variety of things like the Russians tenacity or how US Soldiers were told "it's bark is worse than it's bite". Gameplay wise I feel it's perfect and other MG's should be brought in line with it.

It punishes poor micro, like all MG's should. IF you're quick enough you should be rewarded with a substantial advantage. MG's are a support weapon, they shouldn't be good in and of themselves (this works both ways allied MG's should be brought inline with it).
17 Feb 2015, 11:42 AM

Oh, those historical arguments...

MG spam meta isn't fun, y'know.
Also, T-34 was very cheap so relic plz make it cost 83 fuel.

Am I only one around here that thinks that MG-42 is fine as is?
17 Feb 2015, 11:50 AM

I love these "but in real life" threads.

In real life, M-42 AT gun was extremely efficient in killing tanks from close range on the flank as well as literally sniping infantry.

In real life for 1 P4 soviets could make 5-6 T34.

In real life tigers and panthers had breakdowns all the time.

Should we have the above in game as well?

IRL arguments have no place in coh2.
17 Feb 2015, 12:00 PM

Axis want those old times when mg42 was carrying all game? No thanks.
17 Feb 2015, 12:01 PM

All these IRL arguments aside:

Infantry squads running straight up to the MG in the arc of fire only to lob a grenade and finish off the MG is silly and bad game mechanics. MGs need to be able to suppress infantry, even multiple squads.

It´s the best way to prevent blobbing.

This applies to all MGs.

If people feel MGs are then overpowered, reduce the capping rate (like they once did with Osttruppen) or make them more expensive.

But infantry running into their hard counters and winning is bullshit.
17 Feb 2015, 12:08 PM

Can we stop bringing "IRL" and "Axis" arguments into this? Bad game design has nothing to do with either "real life" or mono-faction players accusing others of favoritism. The MG 42 doesnt really perform its role, thats where the problem lies. Agaisnt half-decent Conscript/Rifle micro the Mg 42 is more of a liability than an asset really. At the same time you cant do without it.
17 Feb 2015, 16:05 PM

No thanks, I'd rather not have a return to CoH 1 style camp offs with MG's being the standard unit. The reason the MG 42 doesn't suppress as well can easily be attributed to a variety of things like the Russians tenacity or how US Soldiers were told "it's bark is worse than it's bite". Gameplay wise I feel it's perfect and other MG's should be brought in line with it.

It punishes poor micro, like all MG's should. IF you're quick enough you should be rewarded with a substantial advantage. MG's are a support weapon, they shouldn't be good in and of themselves (this works both ways allied MG's should be brought inline with it).

Fine then give grenadiers 5 man squads with current DPS.Because rifle blob can't remain uncounterable like now for ostheer.

As long as smoke and urrah remain in existence there will NEVER be a return to mg meta.Rifleblobbers will obviously be against any mg42 buff because they know they easily walk in frontally and kill it now.Yet these same noob are first to cry okw blob OP.
Popcornsprayer42 is shit and anyone who plays ost regularly knows it.And even the american players know it-they know its a pushover and a potential free mg.Nothing mg42 can do....it can get gunned down just by DPS,unit comes in suppressed-grenade and wipe -lolz,or just use smoke and by the time it packs and and resets ur on top of him.Its traverse is too shit to attack even 2 riflemen at times,poor mobility,poor durability,loses head on everytime to every other mg,risks being taken,unreliable suppression.Bottom line you don't need to flank it - u can roll it down frontally ,and if that can be done to a machine gun by just say 2 units if used right then whats the point of mg.Its slow,near static,risks being taken,won't kill anything and can't do its job.It can't prevent rifles or cons from closing with grenadiers and thus incapable of being more than marginally useful.This mg meta bogey is just funny coming from defenders of current mass blobber meta.

In response to ur post i should say OKW blob is balanced and justified .
17 Feb 2015, 16:10 PM
Honorary Member Badge

If you park one MG and leave it there and expect it to control an area you will be disappointed.

Two covering each other, and be prepared to drop back after smoke, yes
17 Feb 2015, 16:59 PM

If you park one MG and leave it there and expect it to control an area you will be disappointed.

Two covering each other, and be prepared to drop back after smoke, yes

No one's parking anything,i always use with spotter.Rifles can still simply breakthrough with grenade while suppressed or smoke and horde rush which grens can't stop.
17 Feb 2015, 17:02 PM

Agreed, all mg's fail to halt blobs. If a blob walks into an mg it should be forced to retreat not just stop and kill the mg.
17 Feb 2015, 17:15 PM

Yes, that's why you should build 2. Just don't expect SchwerePanzer Flak level performance.
17 Feb 2015, 17:15 PM

Here are some of the actual feelings of usf players and the open contempt towards wehrmacht's ability to resist which u will deny here but shown while talking amongst themselves.

''I wouldn't waste my time with a captain stuart against Wehrmacht. I'd rather get an M8 and Sherman or two Shermans. It takes them forever to get decent armor and spending 150 fuel on captain + stuart seems silly''.

''I generally don't get capt vs wehrmacht. I just steal their pak.''

''When I play as Ostheer I am absolutely scared shitless of Shermans. With their HE shells, they wipe Gren squads so incredibly fast it's ridiculous. the best part is a single Panzerfaust will literally not slow you down at all because your crew can hop out, use the "repair critical" ability, and immediately repair the engine damage.''

''Also, blob. As much of a cheesy tactic that it sounds, it works very well vs Ostheer since with smoke grenades your Riflemen will be able to walk directly up to MG42s and LMG Grens without taking much fire. ''

''I find it easy to bully ostheer with infantry company , 1 Rifleman squad with double LMGs in defensive stance can take on 2 squads of LMG grenadiers even take 2 grenade shots and still win fight..''

17 Feb 2015, 17:47 PM

Even a teeny tiny change done by cruzz in Kappatch would be a huge step forward. Remove received accuracy defuff and change the squad formation so the gunner doesn't get sniped.
17 Feb 2015, 17:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Feb 2015, 07:54 AMiceman
The MG42 was the most superior MG in WW2.

Nope.

Just nope.

Too ammo hungry, too encumbering, ran too hot. Not in any way the best. Best =/= most dakka in a video game, but hey, video game reality ignoring contexts always make the over engineered inefficient German stuff look OH EM GEE GEWD, so no doubt that's enough for you, right?

Mg42 IRL wasn't some sort of godly gift, but this makes zero difference to the game anyway.

It'a a single 240mp infantry support weapon. Realize this, stop trying to use it as some sort of enemy at the gates ruskie lawnmower of REICH SUPERIORITY JA, climb off your wehr-a-boo throne and play the game.
17 Feb 2015, 18:02 PM

Permanently Banned

Nope.

Just nope.

Too ammo hungry, too encumbering, ran too hot. Not in any way the best. Best =/= most dakka in a video game, but hey, video game reality ignoring contexts always make the over engineered inefficient German stuff look OH EM GEE GEWD, so no doubt that's enough for you, right?

Mg42 IRL wasn't some sort of godly gift, but this makes zero difference to the game anyway.

It'a a single 240mp infantry support weapon. Realize this, stop trying to use it as some sort of enemy at the gates ruskie lawnmower of REICH SUPERIORITY JA, climb off your wehr-a-boo throne and play the game.

This. "Muh Krupp Stahl" threads are becoming so common these days.

Thread should be moved to scrapyard seeing as it's a historical discussion, not a balance one.
PAGES (29)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 56
unknown 25
Germany 16
unknown 3
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W