Login

russian armor

Supply - in-game currency

PAGES (16)down
6 Feb 2015, 22:28 PM

For the record I never got any stds from relic. Just because avast thought so doesn't make it true.

Seriously though, tell me why they should continue to produce new content if there is no monetary incentive. It's foolish.

Its the way they go about it.

Common sense approach:
Build game with 2 factions
Balance these factions as best as possible.
Release new armies with new commanders ALL INCLUDED IN YOUR PAID DLC.
Balance these 4 factions
Earn the respect of your costumer and communicate what you are trying to accomplish to continue growth.

Relics approach:
Release Game
Release new commanders
half ass attempt to balance
release more new commanders
2 new factions and commanders!
silence
balance?
emojis
buff paid commanders
Expect the community to have blind faith in what you do.
6 Feb 2015, 22:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2015, 22:14 PMGdot

Good point. Treat your playerbase like thai hookers. Lie and deceive. Demand money for all your hard work and micro transact the life out of the few people left.

This is the course they should have taken, Son.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV9xFtchPts

You aren't the sharpest knife in the rack when it comes to modern gaming economy, are you?
6 Feb 2015, 22:35 PM

You aren't the sharpest knife in the rack when it comes to modern gaming economy, are you?

Just because you take it lying down doesn't mean the rest of us have to.
6 Feb 2015, 22:44 PM

7 Feb 2015, 00:09 AM

I don't see the need to have unit's or commander's decay to make a profit.

As an example in hearthstone there is no decay. But you have to buy packs with in game currency or real money to build your collection. You can also get the cards you want by recycling any card not needed.

So decay is not a popular thing and is not needed. You just need have interesting and useful content to sale.

So if new content in COH2 make me play the game more, i will gladly put some real money into it as i won't have to buy new games.

F2P will be great for all of us (Relic included) if done correctly.
7 Feb 2015, 00:22 AM

What if all the coders and designers working on this put down their tools for a week and spent that time fixing the balance before releasing more content and new features?
7 Feb 2015, 00:30 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

What if all the coders and designers working on this put down their tools for a week and spent that time fixing the balance before releasing more content and new features?

Because coders and designers may not know a thing regarding balance ?
7 Feb 2015, 02:16 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Because the game is actually pretty balanced right now - especially compared to where we are post-WFA relative to where we were the same time after release - but people won't shut up about it until they are playing mirror factions on featureless plains

Because when most people talk about balance they talk about 1v1 balance because that is all that matters despite the fact that it is the least important of all game modes (Team Games and Comp Stomp leave it for dust).
7 Feb 2015, 03:15 AM

Option 3: System gets implemented and you get to keep purchased commanders/skins/bulletins forever, or you can use currency earned in game to purchase/upkeep degrading commanders/skins/bulletins. Combined with a whole bunch of cool new stuff.

Relic doesn't alienate people that have already purchased stuff by taking it away, and gives a free avenue for players who don't want to pay for stuff to still get it by playing the game.

Each of these 3 are equally plausible from what little actual information we have.

If you are going to speculate, atleast consider all possible avenues, not just the ones that give you a reason to talk shit about Relic.

the problem with your option 3 is that it is a subset of either option 1 or 2 unless you do not earn ingame currency through playing (which, by the way would mean you pay for buying and for maintaining, so i doubt you meant that).

to be more clear let's break it down:

there's four ways of combining "buying" and "maintaining":

1. The way it used to be: you don't have to buy the content, you don't have to buy to maintain it, you get it for free uncondintionally.
2. You pay to buy the content and don't have to maintain it, you can use it unconditionally AFTER you payed (this is the current system).
3. You do not have to buy the content, but have to pay money to load up charges (most mobile F2P games operate like that)
4. You both pay for the content and have to maintain it (there's multiple ways this could be true)

Currently the coh2 dlc system is option 2, and it's seemingly moving towards 4 and i'd assume (like you) that paid content stays free for use (if not, there might even be legal repercussions) and only "drops" or items purchased with ingame currency will lose durability. since, to my knowdledge at least, nobody ever paid money for a bulletin, i assume that the entirety of those will cost (ingame-)money to maintain.

Now again, and i've said this before as have others: There are only two binary option how this system will work out... either you gain enough ingame currency by playing to keep the durability of your items/bulletins up, or you don't. if you do, the system is pretty useless. if you don't, the system is bad. There is no argueing this. Either you DO get enough supply, or you don't. Either it's raining outside at the moment, or it's not. There is no option 3. Whether you say "it's snowing" belongs into the "it's raining" or "it's not raining" category might be debatable, but the fact that there are only those two categories is not.

Admittedly, depending on how exactly this new "supply system" works, the answer to which of these 2 options is true might be different for different users for different reasons, but the fact still stands: there are only those two options, and imho both are not good.
7 Feb 2015, 04:34 AM

Because the game is actually pretty balanced right now - especially compared to where we are post-WFA relative to where we were the same time after release - but people won't shut up about it until they are playing mirror factions on featureless plains

Because when most people talk about balance they talk about 1v1 balance because that is all that matters despite the fact that it is the least important of all game modes (Team Games and Comp Stomp leave it for dust).

you and your hate for 1v1s :D

in fact its the only game mode that could attract the competitive crowd (both players and viewers). just take a look at starcraft I+II and warcraft III, not a single fuck given about teamgames (at best there are some niche tourneys) in those games either and theyve been the biggest competitive RTSs so far. so yes 1v1 balance is important for the game to become a competitive success

7 Feb 2015, 04:37 AM
Coder Red Badge

I can't think of a single RTS that had good team game balance and a proper competitive team game scene. 2v2s are usually alright, but anything beyond that turns into a clusterfuck.
7 Feb 2015, 05:09 AM
Honorary Member Badge

you and your hate for 1v1s :D

There is a massive disconnect between how important 1v1 players think they are and how important they actually are.

In fact 1v1 is only important if one believes that Tournaments and Competition are the way forward, in every other respect such as Numbers and Revenue they are unimportant.

It should be apparent by now that Tournaments and Competition are not as important to Relic as they could be, so the 1v1 player base is irrelevant.

Most of them are still unwilling to admit that however.

7 Feb 2015, 06:09 AM

I understand that bulletins dont have much of an impact since their value is very low. Would it be ok to make all bulletins stackable and put them up for purchase. I for one, would by triple veterency bulletins for my beloved tanks, and ofc you can get them through drops.

In coho, there was supply also that was gained just by playing games and you could repair all the stuff you want without spending any money. The only people who would spend money were the ones who couldent wait :).I think this system will be similar to that.
7 Feb 2015, 07:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2015, 22:35 PMGdot

Just because you take it lying down doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

And just because you live under a rock, completely unaware of what is going on around for years doesn't really mean you have a point.

Economy is changing, because players allow it and want it. Otherwise it would be like it was 10 years ago and even then, we were shoved up our throats full expansions, you didn't liked single player, you HAD to pay full price for it if you wanted to play multi.

That being said, I never mentioned that I agree with speculated change to coh2, but I'm not dumb enough to not see why its even considered.
7 Feb 2015, 07:23 AM

There is a massive disconnect between how important 1v1 players think they are and how important they actually are.

In fact 1v1 is only important if one believes that Tournaments and Competition are the way forward, in every other respect such as Numbers and Revenue they are unimportant.

It should be apparent by now that Tournaments and Competition are not as important to Relic as they could be, so the 1v1 player base is irrelevant.

I thought relic wanted this game to be "e-sports". If this is not the case then i guess you are right, balance doesn't matter.
7 Feb 2015, 08:59 AM

My 0.02€:
If you think buying the original game should give you access to all future content.. no. That's not how any of this works, or has worked for a few years now.

Personally, I hope to get some recompense for the Commanders I bought, if not those I found, and I reckon that's about all I can expect.
If I decide I don't like whatever new content is coming, I can just not pay for it. So, until we know more, I'm not worried.

Edit: About the balance thing: 1v1 is and always will be the competitive mode, deal with it.
7 Feb 2015, 09:43 AM
Patrion 14

How about just making the core game better?

I am an IpKai fanboy. I trust his knowledge. His scepticism is hard-won, not internet asshattery of the sort that one finds here in abundance. In short, when he speaks I invariably listen, stroking my immaculately-groomed beard and nodding in agreement at his fell wisdom.

However, this is where I disagree. With knobs on.

IpKai is an esports advocate par excellence. This focus on a narrow sliver of the wider game is why he, and quite a lot of the tournament 1v1 / 2v2 hardcore sometimes miss the point.

CoH2 needs solid, well-polished core game-play *and* it needs shiny-shiny pretty things for the folks who engage with CoH2 (whisper it, lest the sky fall in) differently from you.

I fall in the middle. On one hand, I follow tournies and love watching skilled players. I'm currently getting into and really enjoying 2v2. On the other, I'm a 3v3 / 4 v 4 scrub a lot of the time, I like the occasional mindless stomp and I love aesthetic tweaks to the game.

And even that puts me in a minority of the players who fund this game and keep it alive.

Seriously, the competitive community needs to stop wallowing in a swamp of righteous entitlement and Smell The Coffee. You are whining yourself into irrelevance.

7 Feb 2015, 10:33 AM

the day they balance the game with priority will be the day i uninstall. every streamer will probably do the same. but i guess thats fine, they are after all 1v1 players and hence irrelevant.

n a related note: could you please provide me with some numbers for modes played? its not that i do not trust you, trust me :) i just missed out on reading about it so far

cheers
7 Feb 2015, 10:54 AM

You're all jumping the gun. I for one look forward to becoming enraged about supply AFTER we have more than a few fragments of code and no context.
7 Feb 2015, 11:06 AM

I can't think of a single RTS that had good team game balance and a proper competitive team game scene. 2v2s are usually alright, but anything beyond that turns into a clusterfuck.

Warlord Battlecry III. Shame so few heard about that game... 16 faction - still balanced.
Cossacks 1. Best balance ever - ya, mirror design but that's the point, mirror deisgn is a way better option if you want to have balanced game and enjoy the game.
Or even Alexander.

Good old RTS...
PAGES (16)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment