Login

russian armor

New faction British??

PAGES (23)down
9 Feb 2015, 18:40 PM
Patrion 14

I still think Hermann Göring / Luftwaffe Field Division would be the best choice for another Axis.

Could be incorporated into an Italian front campaign along with Brits as a major faction and Brazilians, Moroccans, Nisei and whatever as commanders and from then on into the MP.
9 Feb 2015, 18:45 PM

So it wouldn't be africa corps at all then but another generic wehrmacht vs brits in Italy.

Thou I would love to see SAS jeeps in coh2.

that reply doesnt make any sense
9 Feb 2015, 18:47 PM

Well, a japanese faction in general would be cool.

However, it would only work in COH 3, in the sense that it would not fight the soviets or the western front USF, and would only fight the USMC , also specifically made for fightning againts the japs.

The reasons are many, due to japan being overall a much smaller nation than USA, they had to focus on specific things in order to compete with USA, and for a time, they did. The japanese navy and airforce in 1941-42 was very modern, and in some atspects, even surpassed the US, notable example being the A6M zero being superior to everything the americans had in stock, until the F6F hellcat was introduced.

However, their land army was basically inferior in every way. Their tactics were outdated, their weapons were also outdated, hell, the japanese lacked something as basic as a submachine gun (altho in coh 2 i guess that doesn't really matter due to LMGs dominating the meta), they also lacked any kind of good tanks, sure they managed to make some "decent" tanks in 1945, but even they were very very subpar for 1945, most of their tanks were total rubbish. Their rifle or machine gun was decent, but nothing special. They even lacked proper ANTI TANK guns in some cases. Their artillery was also not exactly sophisticated at all.

Of course this wouldn't matter if they faced againts the USMC, where something as basic as a sherman would be the equivalent of a king tiger in coh 2, and it could barely go anywhere due to the jungle enviroment. The island fightning in the pacific was almost completely dominated by infantry. The possibilities for the japanese faction for such an enviroment are endless, booby traps, kamikazes, banzai charges, heavy use of ambushing, highly sophisticated trench and pillbox lines etc etc.

And also, theres also much more in the far east. A great place for an expansion is the second sino-japanese war, it's scale being even larger than the western front of 1944-45. The second sino-japanese war is by far the MOST overlooked part of WW2. China lost between 17-22 million civilians in that war, not to mention over a million millitary casaulties. Japanese casaulties are no joke either, with a million millitary casaulties.

Think of it, imperial japanese army vs USMC, and later china gets added into the mix. Not to mention the british, australian and new zealand armies could work here too.

9 Feb 2015, 18:54 PM

Lets try this way:

Soviets and ost are modeled around these armies in 1944, one pushing hard and aggresively, one being on the backfoot,, trying to hold out, no specified theme except late war armies so lot of unit freedom here(general theme).

We've had enough talks about WFA armies being modeled on battle of the bulge forces of USF and axis so no explanation needed here, some OKW units are questionable for being stock thou(because there was soo many Pumas with 50mm gun and sturmtigers to make them stock units).

If you'd want to model supposed brit and axis(because it wasn't just germans or just italy) in noth africa, then the unit theme would end up with Lees fighting Tigers, cromwels and fireflies were issued in italy, where they were fighting just german forces and I seriously doubt that relic will set something like north africa with units that never were there in the first place.

In short: in coh2 armies have specific themes, talking about X theme(north africa) and wanting to add units that never were there is unlikely if relic wants to be authentic, like they always underlined when it comes to coh2.

If relic wanted to add brits and there would be cromwells and fireflies, it wouldn't be north africa at all, but italy theater.

I believe I don't need to explain why japan will never happen(vastly inferior everything that wasn't in the air or on the sea).
9 Feb 2015, 19:02 PM

There is enough historical hardware used by the axis and allies on both the eastern and western fronts to make dozens of complete factions. Like Katitof mentioned each faction represents a "theme" and not necessarily the entire nation.

Ost and Sov are modelled from a post-Kursk 1943, but you could easily make 1941-42 era Soviet and German factions with weapons yet to appear in-game like BT series tanks, T-26s, Panzer IIIs, and towed 88mm Flak cannons. Making such factions competitive with the likes of 1943-45 technology represented in the existing factions would be the main difficulty.

The British, or perhaps more appropriately, the British, Canadians and other commonwealth could face off against the German/Italian Social Republic armies in southern Europe.

I believe I don't need to explain why japan will never happen(vastly inferior everything that wasn't in the air or on the sea).

eh...I don't know about that. It's not like the Marines and US Army troops were exactly well-equipped in battles like Guadalcanal...armoured warfare was relegated to secondary status in the Pacific anyway, with the US deploying most of their armour in Africa/Europe and the Japanese in China. Stuarts match up well enough against Ha-Go and Chi-Ha tanks...and for the occasional Sherman the Japanese can use this to deal with it.

9 Feb 2015, 19:17 PM

I believe that Japan can be realized. Men of War proof.
always possible to implement experemental tanks.
Japan needs Axles:
- All factions axis are the minimum requirement microinspection, Japan would be microinspection fraction and combined arms action.
- Add new allied faction with Panzer Elite / OKW style (hopefully USSR)
9 Feb 2015, 19:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Feb 2015, 18:47 PMBurts
... and in some atspects, even surpassed the US, notable example being the A6M zero being superior to everything the americans had in stock, until the F6F hellcat was introduced.

However, their land army was basically inferior in every way. Their tactics were outdated, their weapons were also outdated, hell, the japanese lacked something as basic as a submachine gun (altho in coh 2 i guess that doesn't really matter due to LMGs dominating the meta), they also lacked any kind of good tanks, sure they managed to make some "decent" tanks in 1945, but even they were very very subpar for 1945, most of their tanks were total rubbish. Their rifle or machine gun was decent, but nothing special. They even lacked proper ANTI TANK guns in some cases. Their artillery was also not exactly sophisticated at all.

They really didn't have any AT. To the point that "AT" consisted of a pit with a 500lb aerial bomb and a volunteer to set it off when the tank rolled over it.

The F4F was a match for the A6M Zero when used properly. It was slower to climb and turn but faster in a dive, was much better armed, and had both armor and self-sealing tanks. US pilots were innovating tactics like the Thatch Weave and competing with, and sometimes owning, Japanese fighters well before they had the F6F.
9 Feb 2015, 19:27 PM

I believe that Japan can be realized. Men of War proof.
always possible to implement experemental tanks.
Japan needs Axles:
- All factions axis are the minimum requirement microinspection, Japan would be microinspection fraction and combined arms action.
- Add new allied faction with Panzer Elite / OKW style (hopefully USSR)

"Men of war proof"?

Half the stuff either existed in amounts that you can count with your fingers, or never left the paper it was designed on. Thats not the Japan that the US and USSR fought against... Might as well give everyone experimental tanks to complete the feeling of making fake factions.
9 Feb 2015, 19:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Feb 2015, 19:20 PMAvNY

They really didn't have any AT. To the point that "AT" consisted of a pit with a 500lb aerial bomb and a volunteer to set it off when the tank rolled over it.

No. Meet the Type-1, more than enough for the likes of the M3. A pair in-game would confidently deal with a Sherman.

9 Feb 2015, 19:51 PM

"Men of war proof"?

Half the stuff either existed in amounts that you can count with your fingers, or never left the paper it was designed on. Thats not the Japan that the US and USSR fought against... Might as well give everyone experimental tanks to complete the feeling of making fake factions.

excellent, 45 not doctrinal Ostwind this normal?
thousands of T-34-85 - doctrine.
Company of Heroes is not a simulator, it does not pretend to 100% authenticity.
Company of Heroes - a Game on motives World War II. Multiplayer action takes place in 1944, and the main infantry USSR - recruits.
So yes, Japan realized.
9 Feb 2015, 20:09 PM

It's pretty simple, Commonwealth vs Imperial Japan.
That's all.
9 Feb 2015, 20:10 PM

Japanese tanks (f. e.):

Type 1 Chi-He

Type 97 Te-Ke

Type 3 Chi-Nu

Type 4 Chi-To

Type 4 Ho-Ro self-propelled gun

Type 89 Yi-Go

9 Feb 2015, 20:13 PM

No. Meet the Type-1, more than enough for the likes of the M3. A pair in-game would confidently deal with a Sherman.

Is that the 47mm as opposed to the 37mm Type-1? Could sometimes pierce M4 armor at shorter ranges and with AP rounds.

There weren't exactly a whole lot of these ever made. Though in keeping with Relic standards I guess 2,300 equates to huge-scale mass produciton as compared with the Puma, ostwind, Elephant and Sturmtiger.
9 Feb 2015, 20:22 PM

Japan:

Type 1 47mm Anti-Tank Gun

Type 94 37mm Anti-Tank Gun

Type 91 10cm Howitzer

Type 38 75mm Field Gun
9 Feb 2015, 20:25 PM

excellent, 45 not doctrinal Ostwind this normal?
thousands of T-34-85 - doctrine.
Company of Heroes is not a simulator, it does not pretend to 100% authenticity.
Company of Heroes - a Game on motives World War II. Multiplayer action takes place in 1944, and the main infantry USSR - recruits.
So yes, Japan realized.

At least those arent mainline units meant to do all the dirty work,

What Japanese tank would really stand up against t34's/shermans? And the IS-2's and the like? Without... Without being completely wacky, it wouldnt be able to be implemented in CoH2.
9 Feb 2015, 20:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Feb 2015, 20:13 PMAvNY
Is that the 47mm as opposed to the 37mm Type-1?
Yes, it is.

9 Feb 2015, 20:50 PM

Not necessarily. I'm confident they could make the Italians work.

Sure, IRL the Italians kinda failed, but they still had a bunch of interesting (if not necessarily very good) Equipment such as the Semovente, Carro Veloce, P40, and some very good light Infantry.

And they can always tweak stuff in the game to make them more competitive.

Huh... Aren't Germans kinda failed too IRL?
9 Feb 2015, 20:57 PM

I´m totally against that.

1) Russians, Germans aswell as US forces have a connection to the European battlefields. It doesn´t look totally ridiculous to see Americans on Semoiski. It´s still shit but not as far off as seeing the Japanese invading a French or Belgian village.

You'd have a point if this were a story-driven game. It's a competitive multiplayer game. Who cares? I'd way rather see some army variety and fun. Just throw in some Pacific maps.

2) What competent land army was there fighting for the Axis side other than the Germans? The Italians? Pretty much any of their actions was a failure and the Germans had to come to the rescue. By the time the game is set they had switched sides and what remained was a puppet state in the north.

The Finnish? They pretty much fought their own war up in the north. Hungarians, Romanians etc.? Hardly enough to make a whole faction.

Which leaves...

What remains are the Japanese, but I prefer seeing Hetzers, Jagdpanthers, Nebelwerfers fighting IS-2s rather than a Chi-Ha tank. The heaviest the Japanese could field would be a Chi-Nu, which is around the strength of a Panzer IV (early, 50mm armor).

I'm not seeing an argument besides "I prefer German stuff." The Japanese have a lot of room to be a really cool, unique faction if they're designed properly- i.e. around ambushes, traps, maneuverability, etc.

3) Still lots and lots of stuff not included for the Germans.

I'd say there's some stuff not included for Germans. Nothing that can't be added via doctrines. Yeah, there are some unused German tanks, but the entire Japanese army has gone completely unused. I'm getting really tired of people brushing off the idea of the Japanese just because their tanks weren't the best. There are plenty of other ways to make them competitive. The Panzer Elite barely had any formidable tanks- just hard-to-unlock Panthers and doctrinal hetzers and a Jagdpanther. Their strength lie in their light vehicles (unless you're just spamming assault grens lol).

After playing the first game + the Eastern Front mod and this, I've already waded through five German factions. I just want to see something new. It's gotten to the point where I'd seriously rather have a terrible Japanese faction than another good German one.

Also, if they do release an Afrika Korps faction, it should really at least be a mixture of German and Italian forces, not just Germany again.
9 Feb 2015, 21:03 PM
Patrion 27

Japanese don't fit into coh2 gameplay AT ALL.
9 Feb 2015, 21:04 PM

At least those arent mainline units meant to do all the dirty work,

What Japanese tank would really stand up against t34's/shermans? And the IS-2's and the like? Without... Without being completely wacky, it wouldnt be able to be implemented in CoH2.
chi-nu and ho-ri III is all they would need to have the same level armor as doctrinal allied armor and tier 3 wher. And they aren't that much of a leap. As for the heavies they would be a no heavy faction like the us but make up for it with plenty of vehicle snares and infantry based at abilities.

A invasion of Japan type army could work without the need for crazy experimental stuff. And would retain the Japanese type feel. Anything a better then more Germans.
PAGES (23)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS