Login

russian armor

New Mechanic: Fuel and Ammo bars

22 Jan 2015, 04:28 AM

The idea came to me when i was playing Americans and the "A sector is cut off, Front-line units are being left out to dry" radio message played. Right now this only applies if a ambulance happens to be on the cut off sector. Other wise the only noticeable thing is a slight drop in munition and fuel income.

I suggest that every unit has an ammo bar right next to their health indicator. Units not in combat and in a sector connected to base will slowly have their ammo restocked. Units with high rate of fire weapons such as MGs and SMGS would naturally run out of ammo more quickly than their buddies armed with rifles or AT launchers such as panzershreks. Additionally territories with ammo caches on them will resupply friendly troops faster than territories without them.

For vehicles this applies to fuel as well.The amount of fuel shall be indicated on a bar somewhere near the health bar. Each tank, truck, or any other vehicle will use up fuel while moving. When stationary in territories connected to their base, vehicles will slowly refuel. Different vehicles will have different sized fuel tanks, and use up fuel at different rates. If a tank or vehicle runs out of fuel and is stuck in enemy territory it will move at a snails pace until it get's refueled back in friendly territory.

Keep in mind that refueling and rearming is handled automatically and incurs no additional fuel or ammo cost since it was paid for ahead of time when the vehicle or weapon was bought.

Your thoughts?
22 Jan 2015, 04:43 AM

Perfect for CoH3 Kappa
22 Jan 2015, 05:01 AM

Supply trucks FTW. :P

22 Jan 2015, 05:25 AM

Not to be a downer as that's a cool idea that exists in other games but it's not how coh works.
22 Jan 2015, 07:03 AM

Fuel would be a cool thing if only because they could make OKW's fuel shortage actually mean something, rather than being an excuse to give them super-units.
22 Jan 2015, 07:19 AM
Donator 11

A whole new use for the unused "Supply Chain" from Alpha OKW. lol It's a cool idea but for the vanilla game I don't think it would work all that well. Still, something to try to build a mod around if possible now or later when all the tools are released.
22 Jan 2015, 07:25 AM

Unnecessary realism and complexity which will harm gameplay. People want to play pew-pew, not Transport Tycoon.
22 Jan 2015, 07:49 AM

Unnecessary realism and complexity which will harm gameplay. People want to play pew-pew, not Transport Tycoon.

This. Your idea is cool but CoH2 is not a simulator. You can play Men Of War.
22 Jan 2015, 07:56 AM

Nice idea. It might slow the gameplay like blizzards (wait in ur sector to full ammo like to high temp. etc.). However It might give some different taste, so It should be tried.
22 Jan 2015, 08:29 AM

The Coh Franchise is not the right game for these mechanics.
It's a RTS in the first place, then only comes the realistic aspect.
If you want these kind of mechanics, why don't you play sudden strike or blitzkrieg.
22 Jan 2015, 08:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2015, 07:56 AMErguvan
Nice idea. It might slow the gameplay like blizzards (wait in ur sector to full ammo like to high temp. etc.). However It might give some different taste, so It should be tried.

this, we don't need another blizzard mechanics to make this game unnecessarily complicate
22 Jan 2015, 08:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2015, 08:41 AMUGBEAR

this, we don't need another blizzard mechanics to make this game unnecessarily complicate

In competitive sense, you are true but I like struggling. So it might be a mod option.
22 Jan 2015, 09:10 AM

easier idea from this is that Inf in sectors that are cut off cant us ammo abilities. While tanks and vehicle move slower and also cant use abilities. would make cutting of point have a lot more meaning.
22 Jan 2015, 09:17 AM

Pretty much this.

Nothing feels as good as your perfectly placed unit in MoW getting out of ammo and being slaughtered.
MoW is for such mechanics, not coh.
22 Jan 2015, 11:00 AM

Seriously, the Coh2 does not have side armor and most of the combat calculation involves RNG, and you wanted to further enhanced it with ammo and fuel simulation. Isnt the idea a bit too far reached.
22 Jan 2015, 11:24 AM

I like the idea, it would likely open up many possibilities. I would take this instead of the cold system we have now. But as WhySooSerious said, it might be better left to coh3 if one ever comes.
22 Jan 2015, 13:22 PM
Patrion 14

The "normal" resupply of ammo and fuel would not work properly in a game like CoH. But it does have a proper place as an inspiration for game mechanics.

Panzer Elite had cheap ammo abilities, but with absurdly high cooldown times. To rapidly recharge them you had to retreat to home sector, OR be in a proximity to an ammunition halftrack.

I feel Relic dropped the ball on OKW resource strangulation. Remember their "unique resource system and territory capture method" promises? Well tough luck, by the time WFA alpha ended there was nothing left but a flat penalty.

I was hoping "running out of fuel" would be included in the game. I think it would be a pretty cool way to balance the superheavies and totally in keeping with OKW design manifesto. Imagine if Jagdtiger or KT was on a 3 minute fuel counter and after that it was "out of fuel", unable to move, and you'd have to click on an ability icon that spends 30 fuel to reactivate it for further 3 minutes.
23 Jan 2015, 00:25 AM

The "normal" resupply of ammo and fuel would not work properly in a game like CoH. But it does have a proper place as an inspiration for game mechanics.

Panzer Elite had cheap ammo abilities, but with absurdly high cooldown times. To rapidly recharge them you had to retreat to home sector, OR be in a proximity to an ammunition halftrack.

I feel Relic dropped the ball on OKW resource strangulation. Remember their "unique resource system and territory capture method" promises? Well tough luck, by the time WFA alpha ended there was nothing left but a flat penalty.

I was hoping "running out of fuel" would be included in the game. I think it would be a pretty cool way to balance the superheavies and totally in keeping with OKW design manifesto. Imagine if Jagdtiger or KT was on a 3 minute fuel counter and after that it was "out of fuel", unable to move, and you'd have to click on an ability icon that spends 30 fuel to reactivate it for further 3 minutes.

Well at least one guy got what i was going for.
23 Jan 2015, 00:34 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

easier idea from this is that Inf in sectors that are cut off cant us ammo abilities. While tanks and vehicle move slower and also cant use abilities. would make cutting of point have a lot more meaning.

nice idea
23 Jan 2015, 21:39 PM

How is fighting in a cut off sector any different from fighting in enemy territory? It just seems confusing that in one instance vehicles would be subject to penalties and in the other they wouldn't be.

If the goal is to make cutting off an enemy more valuable than it already is then pop cap would probably need to be tied to territory control again. That way a cutoff would not only deprive an enemy of resources but also potentially the ability to reinforce a large army.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★