Login

russian armor

Ostheer infantry commanders

12 Jan 2015, 13:52 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2015, 13:00 PMCruzz

It's still a non-premium commander, so if you don't have it that means that new players now are starting with less commanders than people who started before warspoils was implemented, which would be pretty ridiculous.

Nevertheless apparently correct

I believe everyone now starts with the "Common" Commanders.

Then there are some that can be obtained by warpoils and are available as DLC

Then there are some that are not available as DLC and therefore only unlocked by certain criteria (email sign up for Defensive) or by warspoils:

Ostheer Assault Support Uncommon
Ostheer Close Air Support Rare
Ostheer Defensive Rare
Ostheer Jeager Infantry Uncommon
Ostheer Mobile Defence Rare
SOV Advanced Warfare Rare
SOV Defensive Rare
SOV Lend Lease Rare
SOV NKVD Rifle Uncommon
SOV Shock Motor Uncommon

The two defensive doctrines were for sign up to relic forums, and CAS and Advanced Warfare were from Make War not Love. I think Mobile Defence and Lend Lease were from something else.

I believe the others were commanders that used to unlock at certan levels (like Assault Support), but now are warspoils only:

Ostheer Assault Support Uncommon
Ostheer Jeager Infantry Uncommon
SOV NKVD Rifle Uncommon
SOV Shock Motor Uncommon
12 Jan 2015, 14:35 PM

Americans have 1919,defensive stance.Or veteran riflemen/flamethrowers to boost their infantry.Plus elite call-in infantry.

OKW elite call-in infantry,mgs.Plus stock obers.

Soviets have whole commanders dedicated to boosting conscripts plus elite call-in infantry.

Ostheer has no commander that boosts panzergrenadiers or grenadiers .The g43 upgrade is worse than the stock one,stormtroops are no better than pzgrens and eat huge muni.Ass grens suck after 5 mins.
Why is this?Why isn't there an ostheer grenadier support commander or panzergrenadier commander?
Too many repetative abilities in the commanders and none actually helping the underpowered ost infantry.

1919 - doctrinal
Defensive stance - doctrinal and keep in mind that access to HMG is limited.
Flamethrower - nice upgrade but Ost pio can have it flamethrower as well.
Paras with Thompsons have higher DPS than Shocks but they are more vulnerable.

OKW is elite everywhere.

And what are those doctrines that boost cons?
Ppsh upgrade? Useless.
For Russia Motherland? Good ability but cost a lot on ammo which is needed for recons and B4.
PTRS upgrade? Come on..

Ostheer - what kind of buff you want? You don't have to spend resources to get LMG, Schrecks, Fausts, Rifle Nades (Sov and USF have to).
You don't need any doctrinal upgrades because Ostheer has everything.
No need to unlock, no need to choose doctrine.
And Assault Grens don't suck. You can't charge with them. Use them to wipe squad in a building, rush to attack supressed squad or put them into this doctrinal transporter and drive behind crew weapons.

You are not looking at the other side of the coin.
Ostheer has easy access to mines. USF don't have.
Ostheer is very flexible faction. You have all units you need it first 2 tiers so you can adapt to any situation.
US Forces have very limited tiers.
And on... And on...
12 Jan 2015, 14:56 PM

None of them of any use ,that can be part of the meta.Redundant options and no options are same thing.

Both Elite Troops and Lightning War doctrines have at least 2 infantry focused abilities.

Both of these commanders are solid part of meta.

Again, just because you close your eyes to not see something doesn't make it disappear.

If you want to know what redundant options are, I suggest you to play soviets and check stuff like DSHK, M-42, conscript PTRS or PTRS in general and so on and so forth.

Just because you don't like the given options doesn't mean they aren't there, right in meta commanders.
12 Jan 2015, 15:09 PM

Okay. Fine. I got it. You don't like osttruppen and assgrens.

Here some grenadiers with LMG42 and pgrens with doubleschrek upgrades "to boost your infantry". Should be quite enough.

Don't thank me.

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2015, 14:56 PMKatitof

Both Elite Troops and Lightning War doctrines have at least 2 infantry focused abilities.

Both of these commanders are solid part of meta.

Again, just because you close your eyes to not see something doesn't make it disappear.

If you want to know what redundant options are, I suggest you to play soviets and check stuff like DSHK, M-42, conscript PTRS or PTRS in general and so on and so forth.

Just because you don't like the given options doesn't mean they aren't there, right in meta commanders.

Irregulars... *cough* Partisans... *cough-cough* SU-76!
12 Jan 2015, 15:28 PM

Lets be real here for a sec. Assgrens have niche utility, as do as Osttruppen, but thats about it. The fact is that at least 50% of Ostheer commanders and their abilities are generically pretty useless. Lots of people claim that Wehr is less commander-dependant than ie. Soviets, and that might have been the original desing intention and actually certainly held true pre-WFA. Nowadays it is no longer the case though as there are maybe 5-6 competitively viable doctrines for Ostheer, (You guessed it, stuff involving heavy call-ins plus Luftwaffe supply) which puts them about level with Soviets in 2v2. (stuff involving heavy call-ins plus Counterattack)
However, I would venture to say that with the current obvious success of con-heavy builds Soviets actually have become more flexible than Ostheer in 1v1.

This is in contrast to the WFA factions which feature no really useless commander with the exception of the comically named Elite Armour.
12 Jan 2015, 15:43 PM

Aren't you confusing possible openings with flexibility LeYawn?

Because soviets do in fact have more BOs. Except, if opponent does X while you do Y, you're already screwed and while ost may have just a pair of BOs, both of them allow to nearly instantly adapt to what is going on by getting needed unit instead of crying that you went wrong tier.
12 Jan 2015, 15:54 PM

Hey, MG42s are great so long as they operate within the arc of fire of a bunker with an mg42.

Two MG42 crews is just asking for a full retreat or giving the allies MG42s, but the bunker is immune to instagibbing from molotovs and nades, and the mg crew can cover the bunker from flanks/demos. Plus, if the mg42 crew dies, the gun is still in the field of the bunker's fire and won't be easily stolen by the allies.

For covering a fuel point and/or supporting an OKW teammate, I find it to be a superior option. It also helps force the allies hand into having to clear a bunker. The first sixty munitions is a hefty cost, but it can often pay off.

Edit, and Lightning War is actually a pretty decent commander infantry-wise.

Tactical movement is rarely worth it for 40 munitions, especially when air support is unlocked, but it can be great in a pinch or to rush for VPs. Likewise, the 90 munitions osttruppen AWM is hard to effectively use, but I have had tremendous success with it lategame. The trick is to hope the RNG gods don't wipe squads in the process of getting them. Osttruppen squads are often the perfect units to send around to back cap/stop backcapping conscripts. Plus they have fausts, which can make any vehicle sent to dealt with them disabled, which can really help out the main front.

*Edit 2,
Also, tactical movement is often paired with g43s in commanders, but it is interesting to note that units don't fire on the move while it is active, which is the principal benefit of g43s over lmg42s.
12 Jan 2015, 15:58 PM

TBH I think the only constant and objectively present issue with the Ostheer infantry is that their (stock and call-in alike) durability against Rifle blobs is nonexistent. And that could be addressed by giving them the ability to place down sandbags: http://bit.ly/14LG6je
12 Jan 2015, 16:00 PM

@Katitof: Nope, I am not.
The problem is that Ostheer really features only one viable general build (T1-T2, you need Grens, you need Paks eventually)from which you can then deviate according to the situation. However, provided your opponent plays the meta, you will have no choice but to go for something that involves heavy call-ins or substitutes heavy call-ins with a Panther (Luftwaffe supply), because you have no nondoctrinal answer to the opposing call-ins. Soviets on the other hand can dictate the flow of the game with various openings pretty easily none of which has any glaring general weakness vs anything OH can do, if only because of the linear/slow OH tech structure.
OKW is another matter admittedly, ie. going Sov. T1 against OKW mechanised regiment or fast Luchs is a risky proposition.
12 Jan 2015, 16:58 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2015, 13:00 PMCruzz

It's still a non-premium commander, so if you don't have it that means that new players now are starting with less commanders than people who started before warspoils was implemented, which would be pretty ridiculous.

Sadly, but true. People who starts now don't have access to commanders which were unlocked by leveling up. Example, Assault support. Theres people who can't have access to a Tiger doctrine.
12 Jan 2015, 17:06 PM

Keep in mind that Ostheer is designed with pretty solid units. Although there are huge balance problems (mostly HMG42 early and mid game), you just have to support your units with your commanders. Unlike Soviets who have to build their tactics based on their commadner, Ostheer should chose a commander to support their units.

They concept for ostheer is to have solid line infantry (Grens) with good support (HMG42), powerful ATG and versatile assault tropps (Pzgrens) and excellent medium and heavy tanks for late game. So you have to support your units with your commanders. In my humble opinion Ostheer is the best faction designed, but there are HUGE balance problems which makes it very hard to play.
12 Jan 2015, 17:21 PM

Sadly, but true. People who starts now don't have access to commanders which were unlocked by leveling up. Example, Assault support. Theres people who can't have access to a Tiger doctrine.

And why you think it's bad thing? I remember when I had to level up to 45lv to get my first Tiger commander and it was amazing feeling when I could use it for the first time.
12 Jan 2015, 17:28 PM

And why you think it's bad thing? I remember when I had to level up to 45lv to get my first Tiger commander and it was amazing feeling when I could use it for the first time.

Has there been a misunderstanding? His point was that nowadays you cannot even get these viable docs by leveling up, but have to instead purchase them or be lucky.
And since you wont be able to compete in ladder games without certain docs, this current state is introducing a de facto P2W component to COH. Which sucks.
12 Jan 2015, 17:34 PM

Has there been a misunderstanding? His point was that nowadays you cannot even get these viable docs by leveling up, but have to instead purchase them or be lucky.
And since you wont be able to compete in ladder games without certain docs, this current state is introducing a de facto P2W component to COH. Which sucks.

Yes, but belive me, if you spend the same time for playing like leveling up to 45 you will get at least 1 Tiger commander.

You can even get better Tiger commanders than the one with Opel.

So in the end P2W was a long time ago.
Now you can get best commanders just by playing, before you could not, you had to buy.
12 Jan 2015, 17:35 PM

Lets be real here for a sec. Assgrens have niche utility, as do as Osttruppen, but thats about it. The fact is that at least 50% of Ostheer commanders and their abilities are generically pretty useless. Lots of people claim that Wehr is less commander-dependant than ie. Soviets, and that might have been the original desing intention and actually certainly held true pre-WFA. Nowadays it is no longer the case though as there are maybe 5-6 competitively viable doctrines for Ostheer, (You guessed it, stuff involving heavy call-ins plus Luftwaffe supply) which puts them about level with Soviets in 2v2. (stuff involving heavy call-ins plus Counterattack)
However, I would venture to say that with the current obvious success of con-heavy builds Soviets actually have become more flexible than Ostheer in 1v1.

This is in contrast to the WFA factions which feature no really useless commander with the exception of the comically named Elite Armour.

USF has 1 or 2 good commanders in any mode higher than 2v2. Yeah Ostheer has some extremely awful commanders and OKW has an almost useless one in Elite Armored, but Soviets and USF have far far more trash commanders and it hurts them far more due to the fact they are so commander dependent.
12 Jan 2015, 17:48 PM

USF has 1 or 2 good commanders in any mode higher than 2v2. Yeah Ostheer has some extremely awful commanders and OKW has an almost useless one in Elite Armored, but Soviets and USF have far far more trash commanders and it hurts them far more due to the fact they are so commander dependent.

Then again, my post exclusively makes reference to 1v1/2v2. ;) Join the dark side, we have cookies. If you play 1s, all out of a sudden, ie. US Armor becomes fairly viable.
AM:
Eh, RNG is a fickle goddess. I like the current state with RNG drops better too though, but it can be extremely unnerving still.
12 Jan 2015, 18:18 PM

I mean Ostheer has the infantry commanders, but you say they all suck. It is kinda the same with Soviets, except their infantry is much worse. Ostheer has some good infantry already. I guess we should look at these infantry commanders as upgrades and bonuses
12 Jan 2015, 18:31 PM

Soviet infantry is much worse? Hihi. I refer you to Ivan, Promeo, heck, Lenny for the more accessible Conspam strats. Its all about the critical mass.
12 Jan 2015, 22:09 PM

not true.
i currently use 2 of the starter docs (support and festung) + jaeger inf (camo + g43s , 2 offmaps; one being the borderline OP stuka AT strafe and a sprint ability for all inf+mgs+mortars)
its a bit harder to stay at my current ladder spot true, but its also a lot more fun and far from impossible
13 Jan 2015, 03:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2015, 17:06 PMRMMLz
Keep in mind that Ostheer is designed with pretty solid units. Although there are huge balance problems (mostly HMG42 early and mid game), you just have to support your units with your commanders. Unlike Soviets who have to build their tactics based on their commadner, Ostheer should chose a commander to support their units.

They concept for ostheer is to have solid line infantry (Grens) with good support (HMG42), powerful ATG and versatile assault tropps (Pzgrens) and excellent medium and heavy tanks for late game. So you have to support your units with your commanders. In my humble opinion Ostheer is the best faction designed, but there are HUGE balance problems which makes it very hard to play.

I have been hearing this bull for quite a long time now-designed with pretty solid units?Except i can't find them..what solid units?
Stock grens are fodder for rifles and are struggling vs conspam.They can only fight rifles with lmgs and vet2 or vet 3.Even then can't stand upto paras with LMG.Has to flee enmasse against shocks most of the time because they can't fire on move and shock grenade will wipe.Worst is how easy it is to lsoe vet gren squads due to 4 members.
Sniper-pretty solid unit.Dies from sneeze.Only the mortar is good.
'Good support' -Mg42...don';t make me laugh-this popcornsprayer is the worst shit.Shit mobility,bad traverse,unreliable suppression,risk being taken,urrah,smoke,no dmg and people walking right in front of it,suppresed ,then grenade ,laughs his ass off.
Powerful ATG -Its no longer something to brag abt.Pen is perhaps 10% of zis,u can make it up with bulletins.Far lower durability and no anti-blob barrage.Its ok,a good gun.
'Versatile assault troops' - Plz.Pzgrens are pathetic,40 reinforce.340mp.120 mp shrecks.1 model lost-25% DPS gone.Just stopgap AT,otherwise manpowersink nothing else.
The armored car fartcannon-i see u conveniently forgot when mentioning ur 'pretty solid units'.
Also the redundant FHT.

T3 - Pz4 can't beat anything except t-34/76.Bullied by all medium call-ins,heavies and 3 shotted by jackson(2 from out of sight) though it costs same.Stug even worse-shit penetration and 2 shotted.

Tiger- Crutch that most of the surviving players lay on.
Brummbarr-when did i see one?Never.
Panzerfer-cheap firecracker that u can't even access.
Panther-Inaccesible in lower game modes.
Overall don't know abt design,but right now this shit is not working.75% of ostheer units are far far away from being 'pretty solid units'.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 16
South Africa 1
United Kingdom 132
Germany 20
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L