Login

russian armor

[Speculation thread] So what's next Relic?

6 Jan 2015, 19:38 PM

I guess I'll post it so people can quote this later.

• A risk-like map is being introduced to multi-player as a meta game which will encourage more even faction distribution during matchmaking.
  • No new factions are planned
  • 1 commander remains for Osteer, 2 for USA, and 2 for OKW. No more commanders for Soviet.
  • Focus is now on Dawn of War 3
6 Jan 2015, 20:33 PM

How is the USF is extremely powerfull against Ostheer if USF doet not even have heavy armor while ostheer has Tiger, Panther and Elefant

Which means nothing because USF early game infantry, specifically rifleman totally own grens and can easily kill MG42s. You also have the fact that the Jackson makes Ostheer t3 useless.
7 Jan 2015, 04:40 AM

How do you segue North Africa factions with the existing ones?

You don't necessarily. 1941 North Africa could be like a Theatre of War type deal. The factions would be like, Commonwealth + Italo-German forces. The multiplayer faction would be based on 1943 Italy stuff, which is similar to how the Soviets are based primarily around 1943. OKW/USF would be the outliers there being in 1944.
7 Jan 2015, 04:57 AM

Which means nothing because USF early game infantry, specifically rifleman totally own grens and can easily kill MG42s. You also have the fact that the Jackson makes Ostheer t3 useless.

I am pretty sure Relic would be buffing up the Wehrmacht 1 v 1 play in the next patch (I hope). I don't think it will be a huge problem to add a doctrinal heavy tank for the USF like the Pershing from vCoh.
7 Jan 2015, 05:40 AM
Senior Editor Badge

I only read the first and last pages of this thread so far, but what would make sense to me is...

Start drawing up ideas for CoH 3 and do it right. CoH 2 is fucked up. vCoH was great because it covered about six weeks and OF was great because it covered like two and was only three months away from the setting of vCoH, therefore, factions could be relatively balanced in terms of technology.

CoH 2 is just a hodgepodge mess of technology. German armor is techologically superior to Soviet armor, and the IS-2, which should beat every piece of armor 1v1 (except KT and Elefant) wins half the time against a Tiger.

If Relic wanted to tell the story of the Eastern Front, they should have made two - if not three - different years to represent each faction, releasing no more than four factions (although there would actually be eight, or twelve).

Infantry could be relatively same between each faction's time period (Grenadiers, conscripts PGs, Guards) but perhaps the number of men could change due to the weapons they carry (PGrens could be five men with MP40s; by 1945 they would be 4 men with StG 44s). Vehicles could be taken away and added, or newer models of the same vehicle could replace the older one. For example, in the "early war" and/or "mid war" periods, the Panzer III could be present (with different velocity guns), but removed entirely in the "late war" period. Tech costs could be changed to represent the increased (or decreased) usefulness of various vehicles. Commanders could be totally different for each faction's time period, or could be similar; or both, depending on the commander, for that matter.

It's complicated and time consuming, I know, but it would add a somewhat historical accurate depth to the game which could be reflected in the campaign as well as in theater of war.

That system easily allows the introduction of other factions if Relic wishes to stray from the original setting (as they have in CoH 2); for example, a "early war" and a "mid war" period could be used for a British North Africa faction. Hell, they could make a German and/or Italian faction representing the same two time periods in Africa.
Side note: As many people already imagine, I too imagine that North Africa would be relatively easy with the current weather effects to be implemented. Just change some sounds and have the temperature go up to be a bad thing (or maybe a hydration gauge?)

Anyway, my general frustration is:
Moving CoH 2 between fronts when there was so much hype about the "untold story" of WWII (from the western PoV).
Having factions that try to represent four years of a war in which technology was rapidly advancing
Units in the campaign not available in online play
Specific units in a single doctrine; it makes it harder to learn to counter said doctrine without having the ability to physically play with the doctrine and to "feel" how units work (like Partisan/Ostruppen doctrine, for example).
-----Perhaps all doctrines could be available to all players when playing with AI only?

I still love this game, there's just ways I think it could be more fun, more exciting, more accurate, more accessible, and overall, better.
7 Jan 2015, 05:52 AM

Sega don't have the rights to 40k and thank god as company of heroes is more interesting a setting than DOW

im almost certain sega got the rights to the DOW IP after THQ went bankrupt
7 Jan 2015, 08:57 AM

im almost certain sega got the rights to the DOW IP after THQ went bankrupt

I doubt a company as conservative as Games Workshop would let the rights of one of their spearhead franchise fall in random hands because of bankrupt of THQ.
7 Jan 2015, 09:22 AM

Sega owns the DOW rights.
Not WH40K rights, that's really different.

But GW also started to be really less conservative with WH40K rights for your information.
10 WH40K video games have been created lately, or in development : go check here
7 Jan 2015, 09:54 AM

+1 for MarcoRossolinis suggested faction. But to be honest I'm not sure more factions is what this games needs.

I'd like to see less focus on the penis compensators that are the heavy tanks. They should be a rare sight to behold. More focus on medium tanks. (remodel of OKW needed ofc because their lack of any mediums, yeah yeah pantehr is medium and all)

I always enjoy the games where Tigers/IS-2 are the heaviest tanks on the field. But I guess we need Jagdtiger, ISU, Ele,heavy Howitsers for fanboys of both sides to have some wanking material. I've always felt the inclusion of these units are more for the enjoyment of people playing vs AI than an effort to do a good game.

7 Jan 2015, 09:57 AM

More factions could be an interesting departure, because we haven't seen CoH with more than 4 factions, that said, I doubt it'll be a particularly good thing for the game (considering the disaster that the WFA armies have been...)

CoH3 in North Africa sounds like the best options, lots of option for expanding the factions (to the French or the Yankees and the Italians and the Germans) an entirely new front and a new style.

Relic however needs to get over their obsession with German armour if the game is to succeed...
7 Jan 2015, 10:12 AM

How about a CoH3 that doesn't focus on the late-war? But instead have a focus on the latter half of 1942 - early 1943? Right there at the turning point of the conflict, when victory or loss was still ( yeah yea, come on it is debatable at least.) hanging in the balance. It opens up for the desert campaign, removes the crazy late-war wunderwaffen, and we can still focus on more than jus the desert. Only classical campaign theater we are missing is Normandy. But we still have the invasion of Italy, and ofc the Eastern front was always a fucking bloodbath for all involved.

Ps. I'd love to see how long it took for Coh2 to have killed more soldiers ingame than died IRL. I think surprisingly slow.
7 Jan 2015, 10:22 AM

^^

Totally agree, an equal battle centred around the Stalingrad period say would have been a much better setting. Panzer IV F2s versus T-34s. Relatively similar equipment, no silly Tigers to ruin balance, AT rifles would have a place and Stalingrad would be an awesome centrepiece for the game.

North Africa as well would be great fun.

I think German big cats are one of the primary reasons balance is so screwed at the moment.
7 Jan 2015, 10:27 AM

Hear hear, Yeah even how much fun they are to play around with (same goes for units like ISU and IS2 in my mind.) They are really freaking hard to balance correctly. And all it boils down to is heavy vs heavy, and frankly that sucks.
7 Jan 2015, 10:34 AM

I was playing a 4v4 recently where I had 2 IS-2s on the field backed by Jacksons and it was great fun. But considering the times I've been rolled over by Panthers and Tigers blitzing in with you having no hope of stopping them, I'd rather they went back a few years, had some of the older equipment and made things a whole lot more tactical. The KV-1 would be the biggest tank on the field and it'd be balanced by having a crappy gun, and being forced to face StuGs and P-IVs, each with the potent long barrel. Both side's tanks would be more equal, but with defining characteristics and the game would be far more about who played better then who stalled for heavy tanks, or who played the faction that performed well in XYZ part of the game. That stuff is rubbish balance.
7 Jan 2015, 10:37 AM

Totally agree, an equal battle centred around the Stalingrad period say would have been a much better setting. Panzer IV F2s versus T-34s. Relatively similar equipment, no silly Tigers to ruin balance, AT rifles would have a place and Stalingrad would be an awesome centrepiece for the game.

Panzer IV F2s vs T-34s only would be very cool. But I doubt it would be very popular because after some time everyone sadly would cry for a Panther/Tiger or ISU..

7 Jan 2015, 10:42 AM

Tiger Tanks were in use in 1942-1943 :P
7 Jan 2015, 10:45 AM

Tiger Tanks were in use in 1942-1943 :P

SHHHHHHH!

Don't tell Relic that!

Anyway, it's December 1942 onwards, hardly 1942 at all... (and even then they kept breaking down or being captured...)

I'd rather the Tiger weren't in there.
7 Jan 2015, 10:52 AM

Yup, given an end at, lets say when OP Uranus ended, Tigers would be the rare ultimate lategame unit. But most armour would be around mediums, which can be safley knocked by AT cannons and AT-rifles like Panzerbüshen 39 (I cant spell german) and PTRS/PTRD.
7 Jan 2015, 10:55 AM

SHHHHHHH!

Don't tell Relic that!

Anyway, it's December 1942 onwards, hardly 1942 at all... (and even then they kept breaking down or being captured...)

I'd rather the Tiger weren't in there.

Come on man, throw them a bone to get onboard :P. I have no problem with it being in that game if they are a rare unit. Like you get zero tanks but can get one Tiger in the end. Kinda how OKW mostly works with the Jagd. It'll be strong, not ridiculus strong but still. A heavy unit that the enemy has to fear, but so much invested in it the player using it have to fear loosing it.
7 Jan 2015, 11:03 AM

Early-war factions would be cool, but they'd need to enable a comprehensive "random faction" system that allows enabling / disabling different factions you want to play for easier matchmaking. And even then matchmaking would be split between people who like early-war and people who like late-war.

You think it's hard to find a game with AB <-> CD, imagine it as AB <-> CD | E <-> F
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 25
South Africa 2
Germany 598
Peru 5
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L