Login

russian armor

Time to buff the German sniper?

Vaz
2 Nov 2014, 20:14 PM

Yea I agree, he could be a little cheaper if anything. If I'm not mistaken he has the same health as the 2 man soviet squad and fires way faster. His cloaking seems to work better too. I haven't had nearly as much frustration with German sniper as others here have.

BTW serious, retreating through cons should result in dead sniper, lol.
2 Nov 2014, 20:27 PM

:megusta:
2 Nov 2014, 22:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Nov 2014, 20:14 PMVaz
Yea I agree, he could be a little cheaper if anything. If I'm not mistaken he has the same health as the 2 man soviet squad and fires way faster. His cloaking seems to work better too. I haven't had nearly as much frustration with German sniper as others here have.

BTW serious, retreating through cons should result in dead sniper, lol.

That's not the point, the point is that the Soviet Sniper seems alot more durable than the German one. I know snipers should die when retreating through enemy infantry.
2 Nov 2014, 22:36 PM

A healt buff or cost reduction would be fair, the soviet one takes twice as much damage and has the same relative damage output.
2 Nov 2014, 22:58 PM

That's not the point, the point is that the Soviet Sniper seems alot more durable than the German one. I know snipers should die when retreating through enemy infantry.

Since axis infantry have a lot more firepower, it evens out.

Unless you really believe sov sniper against LMG grens is more durable then axis sniper against cons.
2 Nov 2014, 23:09 PM
Patrion 28

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Nov 2014, 20:14 PMVaz
If I'm not mistaken he has the same health as the 2 man soviet squad[...]

you are mistaken. he has 48 health and the soviet team has either two models with 48 health or one with 48 and one with 40; someone would have to check the game files to be sure which it is.
3 Nov 2014, 00:11 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I would love seeing ger snipers being use a bit more but atm, the risk is too high and the rewards takes too long time to pay for itself.

You won't use one against allies T1 (sniper, M3, M20) and it doesn't pay off quick enough against SU T2. It's a tad too innefective against Soviets and a bit too effective against USF (problem is the delayed T2).

Offensive performance is perfect, either price/health seems a bit off.

If we move the health from:
48: 3 Mosin, 6 SVT/Garand
60: 4 Mosin, 7 SVT/
80: 5 Mosin, 10 SVT/Garand

If you decide to move the price, 320-340mp seems reasonable.
3 Nov 2014, 00:53 AM
Honorary Member Badge

but i like never seeing snipers its really nice. :(
3 Nov 2014, 01:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Nov 2014, 00:53 AMWiFiDi
but i like never seeing snipers its really nice. :(

+1 :banana:
Vaz
3 Nov 2014, 02:00 AM

Well technically your not supposed to see the sniper :P
Vaz
3 Nov 2014, 02:08 AM

I looked over the stats, looks kind of unfair. German sniper is better offensively and soviet sniper is more forgiving defensively. I'm not entirely too sure of what really is unfair though. The snipers are different. If we were to give the german one something to makeup for being a lone wolf (like more hp) then I think it comes out of balance when their fire rates are taken into account. It's true that German sniper has more targets, but the sniper is support, not a 1 man army. I know that 48 health on one 360mp unit is VERY unforgiving though. He's certainly more micro intensive than the soviet one for that, but not by much as they both die pretty easy.
3 Nov 2014, 04:48 AM

I think instead of nerfing or buffing snipers for both soviet and ost, they need to be redesigned or limited to how many you can field. Snipers can be sooo powerful and can make most games extremely frustrating and boring in many cases.

I think a good change would be limiting snipers to 1 being fielded at a time for both factions. There's no reason any person would be helpless without the ability to spam them. A single sniper can do a lot of damage to begin with.
Vaz
3 Nov 2014, 05:03 AM

So the game should be limited to the playstyles that Slurpee deems are ok.
3 Nov 2014, 07:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Nov 2014, 05:03 AMVaz
So the game should be limited to the playstyles that Slurpee deems are ok.

Why not? You're literally playing by the playstyles that Relic has deemed that you can use.

You need to understand that the how the game works isn't some magical ephemeral thing, there are play styles and uses you aim for. Limiting a unit is just as valid as making things unlimited.

Sniper style units are always incredibly difficult to make it fun and interesting to use and fight against.

There are many ways to handle them, Relic shouldn't limit itself to exploring just a few.
3 Nov 2014, 08:47 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Nov 2014, 02:08 AMVaz
then I think it comes out of balance when their fire rates are taken into account.

Not when we take squad sizes into account.
3 Nov 2014, 15:44 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Needs more health and a cost reduction to be viable at all. It's absurdly easy to hunt down with light vehicles right now.
3 Nov 2014, 16:00 PM

Sov sniper isn't exactly a-move unit too you know. Snipers are micro intensive units, for both sides, unless you believe that constant keeping them in cover even when moving from A to B while protecting them with other infantry, which include flanks is a natural skill of every soviet player.

I agree with you mostly. No doubt the Soviet sniper requires micro, I use them all the time and you need to play well with them (mostly, sprint is still stupid). But the amount of micro from Soviet to German is wildly different. When I try to use the Ost sniper it is the only unit I can focus on. Part of this is because I constantly have to choose new targets for the Ost sniper because the allies are more aggressive early game and I have to pick my shots wisely, also I have to be very careful as soon as the game starts to avoid light vehicles.
3 Nov 2014, 16:33 PM

Exactly what i am saying. Not durable enough, high price, high risk and needs to have a shitload of shots to make it count. Give it more armor or health so that he is not instant down especially from random shells etc
3 Nov 2014, 16:53 PM

I am not too concerned about the micro requirement of the Ost sniper, if the potential reward is sufficient. Imo it is, but other units simply are much easier to use and have some utility. That does not make the sniper bad in itself.

Although he is a tier 1 unit, you can't really build him early vs Soviet t1 (well you can, but it's risky) or USF due to those light vehicles.

A question i'd put to people is, how often do you consistently use him?
3 Nov 2014, 17:24 PM

I tried using him against USF alot, the problem is that very early game you get pushed off the map even harder than you would usually be, and you have a window of opportunity of all of 4 minutes or so to get your licks in before you spend alot of your time hiding in cover with hold fire on because the M20 is out and about looking for you...so now I don't even bother.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★