Login

russian armor

Time to buff the German sniper?

2 Nov 2014, 16:44 PM

I've been seeing soviet snipers being successful then soviet snipers being able to retreat through grens and not die. I've seen a german sniper retreat through cons and die instantly. Does anyone think its time to buff the german sniper?
2 Nov 2014, 16:47 PM

USF cannot counter sniper already.
OKW cannot counter sniper already.

If your sniper has to retreat through enemy squads you deserve to lose him.

Ost sniper is amazing, just keep him back and in green cover.
2 Nov 2014, 17:19 PM

There's no need to buff the german sniper, if you want to change anything about snipes change the soviet snipes.
2 Nov 2014, 17:22 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Try ost sniper with encirclement doctrine. Have fun.
2 Nov 2014, 17:32 PM

Nope. German sniper is fine.
2 Nov 2014, 17:40 PM

retreating through cons... maybe you should try to not get flanked, then. retreat isnt suppossed to be an out-of-jail card

sniper is a beast btw
2 Nov 2014, 17:40 PM

The Wehrmacht sniper isn´t amazing. There are good reasons why no decent player ever use it. As always the allied squads are bigger in numbers hence why the sniper has worse operational effect in regards to picking off individual soldiers. Secondly the risk-reward for the unit is just crazy considering it´s 360mp for a unit with little cost effective qualities that will be extremely vulnerable as soon as it arrives. This being due to allies having light decent vehicles in T1.
2 Nov 2014, 17:46 PM

German sniper has higher rate of fire to account for allied squads having more men.
2 Nov 2014, 17:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Nov 2014, 17:40 PMFlyboy
The Wehrmacht sniper isn´t amazing. There are good reasons why no decent player ever use it. As always the allied squads are bigger in numbers hence why the sniper has worse operational effect in regards to picking off individual soldiers. Secondly the risk-reward for the unit is just crazy considering it´s 360mp for a unit with little cost effective qualities that will be extremely vulnerable as soon as it arrives. This being due to allies having light decent vehicles in T1.

Well the unit might be not that viable vs soviets, but vs americans since they have only high value targets. Playing a snipe vs a enemy with t1 might be indeed stupid, but it's good against any other tactic. It's true the snipe is very vulnerable if you compare it to the soviet snipe, but that's the point where skill comes in. And to the "no decent player uses it" i can just say watch stephenjfs or siberians stream. There you can see that they are using the snipes very successfully. Avoid being flanked, have infantry in front of it and you'll be fine.
2 Nov 2014, 17:51 PM

Permanently Banned
While we are at it, why don't we buff the German armor, obersoldaten need some buffs as well, we need to buff pak 40, and please nerf isu 152 and give tiger ability to shoot and see through buildings and trees.

If you want to buff the only weaker thing the Germans have, you are out of your mind mate
2 Nov 2014, 18:22 PM

Risk/reward makes the German sniper not viable. A well microed German sniper can become quite an annoyance and might eventually amortise itself, but it requires a shitload of attention and still is too vulnerable to RNG to remotely have potentially the same decisive impact on a game that Soviet sniper teams have.
Bit of a health or armour buff would not hurt I guess.
2 Nov 2014, 19:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Nov 2014, 17:40 PMFlyboy

+1
2 Nov 2014, 19:37 PM

I made a long post months ago on buffing the Ostheer sniper, since then I have changed my mind after more practice. You have to time him correctly into your build vs each faction, but apart from that, he is a pretty good support unit if handled well.

Maybe a wee buff in health, maybe. But I can live without that.

Edit: The reason I believe people in 1's don't build him too often, is imo, because LMG grens are far easier to use and less micro, whilst also scaling really well.
2 Nov 2014, 19:39 PM

Ost sniper is too micro intensive to be worth it right now. Having said that, there are numerous other balance issues which need to be addressed before we get here.

Also OP retreating through cons was your example? Why would you ever have to retreat through cons?
2 Nov 2014, 19:54 PM

While we are at it, why don't we buff the German armor, obersoldaten need some buffs as well, we need to buff pak 40, and please nerf isu 152 and give tiger ability to shoot and see through buildings and trees.

If you want to buff the only weaker thing the Germans have, you are out of your mind mate

Why be so dramatic? Noone was asking for anything near to Tiger shooting through obstacles.

The German Sniper is far to weak to be used. That's a bad thing, it needs a buff. Currently it's of so little consequence if it was removed from the game's coding, nobody would even notice.

Try not to get overexcited when someone proposes a buff to "TEH ENEMY ARMY".
2 Nov 2014, 19:56 PM

the snipers in COH1 were just fine, this 2 man sniper squad needs to go, it was a good idea but does not fit
2 Nov 2014, 19:57 PM

Permanently Banned
yea german sniper need buff
2 Nov 2014, 19:58 PM

Ost sniper is too micro intensive to be worth it right now.

Sov sniper isn't exactly a-move unit too you know. Snipers are micro intensive units, for both sides, unless you believe that constant keeping them in cover even when moving from A to B while protecting them with other infantry, which include flanks is a natural skill of every soviet player.

And yea, addressing OPs argument about retreating through cons-you have failed your positioning/scouting/situational awareness if you let cons get behind your sniper. There is nothing wrong with soviet one and there is nothing wrong with wehr one, survivability of these units will not ever be changed which was stated 9+ months ago by relic already, so stop trying to win by nerfs and try to win by micro if you're going to use most micro intensive units in game, many players already have proven how valuable and deadly wehr sniper can be when used and supported properly.
2 Nov 2014, 20:04 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Well it's true that the german sniper goes down so quickly compared to the Soviet one. I think an other problem is that you delay your T2 when going for a sniper. This can backfire considering the early arrivel of M20 from the USF.
2 Nov 2014, 20:07 PM

price is my only concern, 340 would make it just fine, no other changes needed.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★