Login

russian armor

Soviet artillery, or how soviet union win the war ... :D

3 Oct 2014, 19:01 PM
3 Oct 2014, 19:10 PM

In the world of coh2, all the soviet artillery pieces were hijacked by axis elite infantry that spawn out of buildings and taken away by the OKW.
3 Oct 2014, 19:12 PM

Relic took every advantage the soviets had in the war and threw it in the trash
3 Oct 2014, 20:04 PM

Relic took every advantage the soviets had in the war and threw it in the trash
If you are referring to artillery, that´s an issue with every on map artillery in the game - not only the Soviet. 105mm as well as 152mm are under-performing. The B4 howitzer is actually the most useful artillery piece. In team games (and with some doctrines even in a 1v1) however all of them are easily defeated with one recon and bomb.
3 Oct 2014, 21:27 PM

If you are referring to artillery, that´s an issue with every on map artillery in the game - not only the Soviet. 105mm as well as 152mm are under-performing. The B4 howitzer is actually the most useful artillery piece. In team games (and with some doctrines even in a 1v1) however all of them are easily defeated with one recon and bomb.

He's referring to the fact that Soviets, in all of their Doctrines, do not have a single off-map artillery strike (incendiary doesn't count). Whereas Wehrmacht have 3 different types in half their Commanders plus Close The Pocket which is the strongest in the game, and OKW have Assault Artillery and and Salvage Artillery, which bring in incredible volumes of artillery fire.

Despite this, massive volumes of artillery was more of a Soviet thing than a German thing, yet they do not get them at all. He may also be referring to the fact that they also get inferior units, but do not get the superior numbers that gave them an advantage IRL as well.
3 Oct 2014, 22:00 PM

He's referring to the fact that Soviets, in all of their Doctrines, do not have a single off-map artillery strike (incendiary doesn't count). Whereas Wehrmacht have 3 different types in half their Commanders plus Close The Pocket which is the strongest in the game, and OKW have Assault Artillery and and Salvage Artillery, which bring in incredible volumes of artillery fire.

Despite this, massive volumes of artillery was more of a Soviet thing than a German thing, yet they do not get them at all. He may also be referring to the fact that they also get inferior units, but do not get the superior numbers that gave them an advantage IRL as well.

Well, I think Relic made this game while listening to propaganda from Goebbels.
4 Oct 2014, 00:56 AM

Best rocket launcher=walking stuka,
best off-map stealth arty=stuka bombing strike.
best off-map, 105mm barrage from scavenge doctrine.
4 Oct 2014, 14:02 PM

Soviets are the only faction with access to long-range high-powered artillery pieces.

Basically the Germans get off-map, the Soviets get on-map. Also remember that you get a very big bombing run in a few doctrines, not to mention strafe and incendiary. Incendiary is just as devastating to infantry as standard artillery.

It's not like you even need it. Or did you want to play a game where you just drop artillery after artillery on the enemy and win without firing a single shot? Sheesh. Did you play a lot of Brits in CoH1 eh?

Lastly, if we're talking about realism - Forget realism. It has nothing to do with good gameplay. Or do you want the Germans to have Panzer IIs and heavy howitzers at T2? And the only soviet abilies until 7CP are "retreat / scorch earth"?

TLDR - the less arty this game has - the better.
4 Oct 2014, 14:24 PM

It might be too late to change these things now, but I agree Relic made some weird design choices with the original factions. Osttruppen commander is another example.
4 Oct 2014, 14:37 PM

Lastly, if we're talking about realism - Forget realism. It has nothing to do with good gameplay. Or do you want the Germans to have Panzer IIs and heavy howitzers at T2? And the only soviet abilies until 7CP are "retreat / scorch earth"?

If it means we get 60 ISUs for evry Jagd Im down with it. :P
4 Oct 2014, 18:46 PM

COH2 It's like soviet union fighting in 1941 and German army in 1944 and soviet callins is from 1944 to help weak 1941...
4 Oct 2014, 19:49 PM

Soviets won the war with artillery? I thought in 1941 they held off the Germans with lines of maxims, with snipers and scout cars to kill off anyone who breached their line. Then they waited until 43-44 when they got their ISU's, t34/85's, and IS-2's. With those they won the war after 3 and a half years of waiting around. At least this is what CoH2 has taught me.

Above post is always how i felt about the Soviet faction.
4 Oct 2014, 20:22 PM

Soviets won the war with artillery? I thought in 1941 they held off the Germans with lines of maxims, with snipers and scout cars to kill off anyone who breached their line. Then they waited until 43-44 when they got their ISU's, t34/85's, and IS-2's. With those they won the war after 3 years of waiting around. At least this is what CoH2 has taught me.

10/10 :D
4 Oct 2014, 20:33 PM
Patrion 14

I dont get all the complaining about the ML arty for Soviets. It performs pretty well i think once it has vet1. It works out great in 1v1´s
5 Oct 2014, 05:30 AM

Soviets won the war with artillery? I thought in 1941 they held off the Germans with lines of maxims, with snipers and scout cars to kill off anyone who breached their line. Then they waited until 43-44 when they got their ISU's, t34/85's, and IS-2's. With those they won the war after 3 and a half years of waiting around. At least this is what CoH2 has taught me.

You forgot about the yearly Red Army Air Force IL-2 Sturmovik support that drop bombs.
5 Oct 2014, 05:30 AM
Patrion 27

The Soviet Howitzer has awesome range.
5 Oct 2014, 05:35 AM

Permanently Banned
Good artillery is gay as shit, only counter is to pray that you can assault deep behind enemy lines to kill the thing before it wipes more squads. Arty is cheese.
5 Oct 2014, 06:00 AM

I would be okay with artillery only if you can't build it in your home base and you can't shell the enemy base, so it can only hit OKW forward bases and defensive lines, not be used to troll your opponent by barraging his base.

Edit
Please buff Ostheer 105mm
5 Oct 2014, 18:58 PM
Patrion 14

Having LOS on the arty is good enough to kill it. Use off map abilitys on it like bombing strike/stuka, ...
5 Oct 2014, 20:14 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

ostheer 105mm is seriously disappointing
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 35
United States 14
unknown 6

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias