Login

russian armor

Blitz ability too good?

PAGES (7)down
5 Oct 2014, 04:00 AM

So the idea that Soviets had smaller calibre guns is nonsense, the largest gun on a German tank was on the StuG A and PIV D-E varients, with a 75mm gun whose muzzle velocity was thoroughly pitiful...

I thought though that in real life the T-34 couldn't penetrate the tiger at the front and only at close range on sides and rear. Hence why they upgraded to T-34/85s.
5 Oct 2014, 04:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Oct 2014, 02:11 AMSierra

It is an interesting debate really, because historically the Germans broke massive ground with their tanks which provided a perfect mix of mobility and protection. While the Soviets did have a sloped turret design with their tanks that provided protection benefits, they were often very vulnerable. (Lack of radios for communication for the T-34/76) and many weaknesses around the tracks/wheels, and their small-ish- caliber guns)

The Panther was extremely fast, powerful, and well armored for its time, it is lauded as the "First Modern MBT". They even were issued Infrared Optics to work in tandem with the Uhu-Infrared Spotlight Halftrack(Eye of Sauron - Halftrack) For nigh-time operations.

I'd be more than willing to say that the overdrive could use a rework if German tanks could make more efficient use of their guns. The most important thing being that their tanks had high velocity guns that allowed them to fire at extreme ranges and still maintain powerful penetration against other armored vehicles.

As it stands most German tanks don't hit or do reliable damage unless they are at punching distance.. many don't even fire unless they are in punching distance.

What? The Panther has a good range (50, more than the vast majority of actual tanks), good penetration, and good damage. It can slug it out with any allied tank save an IS-2 or ISU. Tigers also penetrate anything save IS-2s with ease, and Elefants, KT and Jagdtiger pen absolutely everything no questions asked. That's not counting the PaK 43, or the often overlooked but awesome Jagdpanzer 4, or hell even the Puma can be used against most medium tanks thanks to its range, speed, and easy getaway options. If there's one thing Axis doesn't lack its potent AT power on their tanks. Only the Jackson is more potent, but it pays for it by being made of wet tissue paper and having no escape mechanisms whatsoever, weaknesses Axis tanks do not have.
5 Oct 2014, 04:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Oct 2014, 02:11 AMSierra
The Panther was extremely fast, powerful, and well armored for its time, it is lauded as the "First Modern MBT".

As much as I love the Panther, this isn't correct. The British Centurion was the first modern Main Battle Tank, conceptualized in 1943 and introduced in 1946. Some also consider the Soviet T-54 and T-55 (also 1946) to be MBT's, but in Soviet service they were officially classified as Medium Tanks.
5 Oct 2014, 06:59 AM

The Panther does indeed get nice range, and even more impressive range with veterancy, but most other German tanks have pitiful range, especially the Tiger and King Tiger.

Just because mechanical failures were reported, does not mean they happened all the time. They happened enough to be considered an issue with the tank design, but not enough to have them completely pulled from service. (Logic)

Also Tiger Tanks were outfitted with 88mm cannons.. so (Largest gun on a German tank right there.)

Jagdtiger and the King Tiger both have the same 88mm used by the PaK-43.

They would have not only been able to maintain their amazing range (Since German optics were the best throughout the war.) They were also able to maintain their penetration (Even against IS-2) They shouldn't deflect as often as they do.

@Mr. Someguy that's just it isn't it? It is up to debate, many sources say that the Panther was the first modern MBT. Other sources claim different.

The Panther was reclassified as a Medium Tank after the war, though during the war, it was actually considered a heavy tank!

I stick to my original statement though, the Tiger, King Tiger, and other thanks have pathetic range, on top of their poor sight radii and slow speeds, it's kind of insulting. The only saving graces are the hard hitting guns and thick armor + HP pools through the armor, and the hard hitting guns still deflect off of the IS-2!
5 Oct 2014, 07:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Oct 2014, 06:59 AMSierra

Doesn't Jagdtiger have the Pak44 L/55 128mm?
5 Oct 2014, 07:22 AM

Well i think the current Panther is good enough. There is no need to give it this steroid
5 Oct 2014, 07:39 AM

The Panther does indeed get nice range, and even more impressive range with veterancy, but most other German tanks have pitiful range, especially the Tiger and King Tiger.

Just because mechanical failures were reported, does not mean they happened all the time. They happened enough to be considered an issue with the tank design, but not enough to have them completely pulled from service. (Logic)

Also Tiger Tanks were outfitted with 88mm cannons.. so (Largest gun on a German tank right there.)

They would have not only been able to maintain their amazing range (Since German optics were the best throughout the war.) They were also able to maintain their penetration (Even against IS-2) They shouldn't deflect as often as they do.

@Mr. Someguy that's just it isn't it? It is up to debate, many sources say that the Panther was the first modern MBT. Other sources claim different.

The Panther was reclassified as a Medium Tank after the war, though during the war, it was actually considered a heavy tank!

I stick to my original statement though, the Tiger, King Tiger, and other thanks have pathetic range, on top of their poor sight radii and slow speeds, it's kind of insulting. The only saving graces are the hard hitting guns and thick armor + HP pools through the armor, and the hard hitting guns still deflect off of the IS-2!

Kingtiger and normal tiger doesn´t need a buff at all.
And IS-2 no armour nerf, it has no hard hitting cannon, only very high armour
5 Oct 2014, 07:54 AM

the tiger and the is2 are in a perfect spot.

blitz is stupidly good for what it can do, especially on heavy armour. blitzing to reverse should be removed, it should only work on tanks moving forwards. also, traverse speed should remain the same while ability is active.
5 Oct 2014, 08:28 AM

I remember someone saying that there was no way to implement blitz only working while driving forward
5 Oct 2014, 08:35 AM

I would rather blitzkrieg only being used for scout cars and halftracks.
5 Oct 2014, 08:46 AM

I remember someone saying that there was no way to implement blitz only working while driving forward

Well, its possible to make it so it works only out of combat, which would effectively limit it to being used in advance and not in retreat, unless you could already loose the pursuit.

And inb4 "but but we needz abilitiz that iz usefulz in combatz!" - Capture Territory on IS-2 and all other tanks, so there is absolutely NOTHING on the way of making the ability effectiveness limited. Nothing except relic bias towards axis having better everything.
5 Oct 2014, 09:50 AM
Patrion 14

Well, its possible to make it so it works only out of combat, which would effectively limit it to being used in advance and not in retreat, unless you could already loose the pursuit.

And inb4 "but but we needz abilitiz that iz usefulz in combatz!" - Capture Territory on IS-2 and all other tanks, so there is absolutely NOTHING on the way of making the ability effectiveness limited. Nothing except relic bias towards axis having better everything.

that would be more balanced i think
5 Oct 2014, 10:19 AM

This is exactly what needs to happen. Best part is we know relic can do it.
5 Oct 2014, 10:23 AM

This is exactly what needs to happen. Best part is we know relic can do it.

worst part is they arent going to do it. not with this community when any nerfs to axis is cried harder than the people of rome did when the barbarians sacked their city.
5 Oct 2014, 10:24 AM

Is this even true? Aren't there separate values for forward and backward top speed an acceleration?
5 Oct 2014, 10:28 AM

Is this even true? Aren't there separate values for forward and backward top speed an acceleration?

No, its the same thing mechanically.

But as I've said, there is only a single value that needs to be changed to make blitz unusable in combat the same way as crew repair is.
5 Oct 2014, 11:01 AM

I don't know if you are correct, I suggest you read up on panther tank wiki page, you might get as shocked as I was.
It was not until 23–29 June 1943 that a total of 200 rebuilt Panthers were finally issued to Panther Regiment von Lauchert, of the XLVIII Panzer Corps (4 Panzer Army). Two were immediately lost due to motor fires upon disembarking from the trains. By 5 July, when the Battle of Kursk started, there were only 184 operational Panthers. Within two days, this had dropped to 40.

General Heinz Guderian a well known panzer tactician wrote the following to Hitler:
Due to enemy action and mechanical breakdowns, the combat strength sank rapidly during the first few days. By the evening of 10 July there were only 10 operational Panthers in the front line. 25 Panthers had been lost as total writeoffs (23 were hit and burnt and two had caught fire during the approach march). 100 Panthers were in need of repair (56 were damaged by hits and mines and 44 by mechanical breakdown). 60 percent of the mechanical breakdowns could be easily repaired. Approximately 40 Panthers had already been repaired and were on the way to the front. About 25 still had not been recovered by the repair service ... On the evening of 11 July, 38 Panthers were operational, 31 were total write-offs and 131 were in need of repair. A slow increase in the combat strength is observable. The large number of losses by hits (81 Panthers up to 10 July) attests to the heavy fighting.

I don't know what else to say, Panther first arrived to the battlefield in 1943. First T-34/85s began production in 1944. On the flip side, Red Army had mass produced their tanks meanwhile Nazi war machine had trouble reaching even 9000 of total produced Tiger 1s and Panthers. So Soviet literally won by spam LOL.

You can check it out yourself, it makes for rather interesting reads.
German armored fighting vehicle production during World War II
Soviet combat vehicle production during World War II
Panther tank
Tiger 1
5 Oct 2014, 14:02 PM

I don't know if you are correct, I suggest you read up on panther tank wiki page, you might get as shocked as I was.
That is the infamous D variant, with issues the A and G variants (the ones produced in more significant numbers and those who we see in-game) didn´t face.

Believe it or not: Tigers were actually reasonably reliable when maintained correctly. As the war went on however that became more difficult.

The best "tank" of the war is actually the StuG. It was the backbone of the German armored force and despite a conventional design its gun and small silhouette as well as the production cost made it perform exceptionally well before the German army collapsed totally and they were used as tank-substitutes.
5 Oct 2014, 14:51 PM

Heaven forbid the meta-dominating superunits have an actual weakness. What should we do, buff them even further so that getting out a KT is an uncounterable auto-win for OKW? Isn't the current heavy call-in meta toxic enough? Plus, KT being slow is not really true when it also has Blitz, which at least the Soviet heavies don't have.
6 Oct 2014, 08:18 AM

my problem with smoke and blitz is that theres no downside to them. Its a cheap boost with no risk.

Target weak point/target engine etc atleast have a chance to fail, which gives them some risk.

Smoke instantly completely conceals the tank. no drawback, no skill. Blitz gives a free speed boost, no drawback, no skill.

These abilities need to incorporate something along the lines of needing proper timing/positioning to use them. What if blitz for instance had a 3-5 second "wind up time". This would mean you would have to activate blitz with anticipation of whats about to happen.

What if smoke were to just deploy in front of the tank instead of completely envelope the vehicle in concealment? Now the smoke only works if you can put/keep the smoke between the tank and the threat. This would make smoke still useful for falling back, but it doesnt become an instant and easy hard counter to flanks and ambushes

also remeber that the allied tanks bassicaly just get "capture point".
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 33
Korea, Republic Of 6
Russian Federation 93
unknown 11

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L