Login

russian armor

Why are there so few good players in the CoH2 playerbase.

PAGES (7)down
1 Oct 2014, 08:45 AM

Permanently Banned

Aham. Then I guess USF players that I'm playing against are all ghosts or computer, in fact. Hell, I must be a ghost too, for the same reason.

You know what i meant, smartass
1 Oct 2014, 09:08 AM

@Cruzz
"JohnnyB
I would exchange lmg grenadiers on bar equiped rifles any day."

And why is that so odd may I ask?

Maybe because a single LMG42 is way better than a BAR, on more open maps clearly stronger than double BARs, and the higher veterancy bonuses on grens adds icing to the (lol)cake on top? Not that I have to tell you this with your vast USF experience.
1 Oct 2014, 09:24 AM

Ahhhhhh, guys pls stop ruining my thread :O

@Romeo It might be different in 2v2 random not sure about this but I know for sure that it's even harder to find an even game as a 2v2 AT.
1 Oct 2014, 09:39 AM

I'd like to say, that I have played over 400 hours of coh2. Easily 1000+ hours of dawn of war 2 (including expansions). Easily 2000+ hours of age of empires 3, where I was able to give some of the higher rated players a challenge, but rarely beat them. I've played over 2000 hours of league of legends, if that even matters.

And I cannot, ever dream, of getting into the top 10 in coh2. No amount of medals, prizes, esports, incentives, money, time, family support will ever give me the skill to play consistently at that level.

The fact that you can do it without trying isn't a testament to how bad everyone else is. You are just special.

Now run before the CIA finds you
1 Oct 2014, 10:10 AM

Simple solution: don't expect anything from random team mates. Get a friend on the mic and play arranged games.

Is that you trying to be a smart arse? Sorry It's hard to judge tone on forums... Anyway, check out my signature mate and lack of random auto-matching - most of MY gamers are with friends from our clan.

Unfortunately however, there are a hell of a lot of players out there who can't or just don't play with regular buddies - rightly or wrongly it doesn't matter. In fact I've even seen clan mates get discouraged or demoralised when coming up against extremely high ranked players.

Besides the fact that it's not actually just team mates this ruins games for, it also spoils it for opponents too. Why bother waiting in a queue for an automatch, waiting for everyone to load in for everyone to quit out shortly after the game starting because one guy drops early game because he bottled it based on an opponents rank being shown on loading?

Personally I don't care either way as I don't think game ranks give a truly accurate reflection of a players PvP skill anyway, but I know from experience that many people do and it WAS an issue with CoHO.
1 Oct 2014, 11:25 AM

Hey Gia, I think most of good VCOH players are not playing COH2. That Solid lvl 16's you mentioned.
Many players that became good at COH2 don't play much or at all due to range of issues this forum is filled with.
There isn't big pool of solid players so only very few will ever make the step up (especially with poor competition)
Majority of players are actually beginners that play for few months and quit playing.
My opinion of course
1 Oct 2014, 11:47 AM

Aham. Then I guess USF players that I'm playing against are all ghosts or computer, in fact. Hell, I must be a ghost too, for the same reason.

Ladders do not display Hard AI.
1 Oct 2014, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

They did :P
1 Oct 2014, 12:45 PM

I know that, I was just proving my point.
1 Oct 2014, 13:26 PM
Coder Red Badge

Good read so far on this post.. I don't mean to go off track, but...

Most good Coh players always have been Euro players?? Really? Hook me up with a link to the ranking system that proves that.. If you don't mind...

It was 100% true in vCoH. Only really notable North American vCoH players I can think of off the top of my head were Marinez, nystrom, and Gosu. The rest were all Europeans and Russians, and eventually Koreans in the last few years of competitive play.
1 Oct 2014, 13:51 PM

It was 100% true in vCoH. Only really notable North American vCoH players I can think of off the top of my head were Marinez, nystrom, and Gosu. The rest were all Europeans and Russians, and eventually Koreans in the last few years of competitive play.

Most of my coh1 friends still play it and refuse to play coh2. Its become some sort of twisted principle now.

Oh, and you left out BigJesus.
1 Oct 2014, 14:06 PM

Hey GiaA,

you might remember me from the game we played a week before. It was quite fun and an even game until you brought the double Soviet snipers, which totally pushed me off the map. I also made the mistake to not go for a Tiger doctrine but instead went for that Luftwaffe doctrine who can also trade fuel for ammo.

I consider myself a good player as I was in that constant lvl 16 category people mentioned in Coh1.

But strategies like that made me quit 1v1. In 2v2 you can at least make up for some of the annoying strategies with good coordination.

The game seems to be revolving much more about unfair strategies than Coh1, where (only) Roo spam, Staghound spam and medic bunkers were the biggest issue.

Right now 6 men weapon crews, sniper squads, call ins and no tech are the characteristics of every high level play. As soon as you don´t play your standard game, you lose (Ostheer: T1 + T2 --> Tiger call in, Soviets: Double Sniper, Guards --> T-34/85 call in or Maxims, Shocks --> IS-2 etc.). At some point it gets redundant. I honestly think that´s one of the reasons some players left.

Cheers.
1 Oct 2014, 14:27 PM

Well, the British weren't the only thing wrong with vCoH, but they were most of it. I alt-f4ed every single game that contained a brit for a good long while through 2.601. Screw ranking, I just wasn't going to put up with roospam in the time after work I had to play games.

The British were the main reason most people I knew never played competitively, and never joined any tournament featuring OF. The lack of british were one of the reasons a few actually expressed interest in CoH2. And of the few that stuck around, nazi Brits kinda drove them off permanently.

But for them it was mostly the realization of who Relic IS sunk in. Every incarnation of the essence engine for eight years has been the same people trying to coddle their British Faction baby.

They knew that developmentally CoH2 didn't/doesn't have the direction, and most likely never will. Every step, every patch and every update has been further away from what anyone I knew who enjoyed this franchise wanted.
1 Oct 2014, 14:46 PM

*Cough* OMGPOP, Vindicare, Fortune, GiaA, Jamin, myself(yes I'm originally American[though I wish to represent the glorious land of Iceland atm]), etc.... *cough* :p I think the problem is mostly the timezone/playing schedule difference of a lot of people....I find coh2 most active for pr0s from 10 AM - 3 PM EST, and 7 PM to 1 AM EST. Which is a pretty small time slot, and also an inconvenient one for Merika' players due to our work/college/sleeping schedule/etc.. Honestly though I think there is a decent amount of players out there atm, it just depends on the times at which you decide to play, and the amount of games you wish to play. Although I will admit the amount of highly skilled players is very limited, mostly due to the game having a small playerbase/horrible optimization/small competitive scene/somewhat constant bugs(seriously, just today I have a bug where my new mic transmits static only when I play coh2, nothing else causes this lol)/balance issues/abusive strategists/highly inexperienced developers/bad marketing/somewhat frustrating gameplay if you don't have a patient mind.

Fortune is EU aswell :P
He just has a fucked up sleeping schedule like me :D
1 Oct 2014, 15:00 PM

The game runs "ok" for me

although im running an i7 4790k at 4.4ghz

with a gtx 780

The game runs fine, except in a 4v4 environment where i pan the camera to the ground.

fps goes from like 68 to 22

That should definitely not happen with a high-end gaming PC that you have. Bad game optimization.
1 Oct 2014, 15:26 PM

They knew that developmentally CoH2 didn't/doesn't have the direction, and most likely never will. Every step, every patch and every update has been further away from what anyone I knew who enjoyed this franchise wanted.

This.

It started with OF factions and continues now. There is a fetish for faction difference. But they are so afraid someone will accuse them of making "mirror" factions that they make factions that each look like they came out of a different game with different resource schemes, different strategy choices. The different veterancy schemes got completely out of hand with brit officers and PE which encouraged blobbing by both.

They just don't have to be that different! Wehr and US "looked" the same but even if Wehr got veterancy the way US did they still wouldn't have played the same. A Stug isn't an m10, a Puma not an m8, the mgs were differnt, the bunkers, the med tents/bunkers, the mortars, the AT guns and HTs, etc.) They looked really similar but all those little differences added up to factions that played very differently. And that is before you ever add the doctrines/companies.

They played differently yet they offered lots of choices in HOW to play them. Perhaps that was from the similarities?

1 Oct 2014, 16:26 PM

Very much so, they were two very different takes on the same kind of army: a complete and versatile one.

Just to use one example of how this manifested: The different veterancy system for US and Wehrmacht made the objectives different for each team. Getting kills meant nothing for Wehrmacht. Giving up kills to the enemy meant the world, because as American forces got kills and stayed alive, their vet would surpass all the purchased vet in the world.

Americans needed to deny fuel more than they needed it themselves. Fuel in Wehrmacht hands meant facing veterans, vehicles, and veteran vehicles.

Ostheer and Soviets all gain veterancy the same way, including getting shot in the face.

It's a huge change that offers a much more simplified set of useful objectives for effective strategies: body count.
1 Oct 2014, 16:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Oct 2014, 09:08 AMCruzz

Maybe because a single LMG42 is way better than a BAR, on more open maps clearly stronger than double BARs, and the higher veterancy bonuses on grens adds icing to the (lol)cake on top? Not that I have to tell you this with your vast USF experience.

:snfPeter:

Fortune is EU aswell :P
He just has a fucked up sleeping schedule like me :D

Hmm, could have sworn Fortune told me he was American, guess he was being sarcastic :P I'll replace him with my friend SteveBud then. :P And I was wondering why I was playing you at 3 in the morning German time, makes sense now :D
1 Oct 2014, 17:54 PM

I quit a month and a half ago due to my conclusion that I was just addicted to the game, and the more I played, the worse I got.

Having been away from the game for two months, I can safely say I won't be coming back anytime soon.

In my opinion, the problem with competitive 1v1 is it still lacks strategic depth. Basically top 75 play is all micro, because there is no depth. It's boring and I got tired of playing the same "working" strats (and in COh2, what we mean by strat is army composition and stalling for call-in tanks) all the time. If I ever came back, it would only be for 2v2, because at least there the combination of different armies and synergies makes for a more interesting game. It was enjoyable trying out different unit and commander combos in 2v2, and with enough teamwork you could make nearly anything work.

I have thought it about it while I was gone, and the one thing that would give this game more depth is to totally revamp the veterancy system in line with what makes Wehrmakt in COH1 so fun to play. They could either fold all the bulletins into power-ups gained through XP (and maybe buff them), or my preferred solution would be to allow all factions (except OKW, which is already too infantry focused, and becomes unstoppable with enough vet) to vet infantry, support, light vehicles, and tanks the way Wehrmakht could. This would give people a choice to have strong early, mid, or late-games, and allow them to further adapt to tactical situations.

COH1 was so much more interesting because not only was there micro, but you could constantly play mindgames with your opponent - vetting Wehr inf might lead to a bar pop, which could then be countered with Pumas and so on.

The game needs more depth. The game should require more than fast retreats, quick ability clicking ("why didn't you click target weak point, you fool!") and uber-micro at the top level of play.
1 Oct 2014, 19:04 PM

Lets face it.. this is just your opinion.. which you are welcome too.. I just wanted to know if he had proven his theory with facts..

lol nystrom.. He used to troll the hell out of some allies replay posts.. I loved it.. remember s1L3nce?
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS