Login

russian armor

Please be consistent with Call in artillery

25 Aug 2014, 16:16 PM

Some call-in strikes can be used in the base sector and others cannot. It should pretty much be one or the other, no reason to have one side with a little more advantage than the other in this regard.

Also Some of the call ins have an incredibly short cool down. For example, the Ostheer strafe run can be called in right as the plane leaves. The same thing goes for Breakthrough artillery and OKW 105mm. There are more I would just like to ask for call in arty cool downs increased a crossed the board
25 Aug 2014, 16:28 PM

I feel like there is a bad experience driving this post lol
25 Aug 2014, 16:36 PM

There are plenty of experiences with it. There have been times I have wanted to use an ability in a base sector and was denied, and other times I can. I see no reason for inconsistancy.

As for "the bad experience" the most driving factor is the stuka strafe run. Man of the call in's such as incendiary can also be spammed. In a 1v1 it is not so bad, munitions are spent all over the place. But in any team game resource incomes are much larger and there is a plane in the air pinning squads for minutes strait, making offensives almost impossible.
25 Aug 2014, 18:11 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Use AA (SU is more affordable on teamgames and you can´t tell me the US AA is bad)
25 Aug 2014, 18:24 PM

and you can´t tell me the US AA is bad

That is hard to tell. I don't think anyone have ever seen it shooting at planes at its window of opportunity seems to disappear well before planes start to show up.
25 Aug 2014, 19:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2014, 18:24 PMKatitof
That is hard to tell. I don't think anyone have ever seen it shooting at planes at its window of opportunity seems to disappear well before planes start to show up.

That's because people got so used to using it as a heavy AI / light AV counter that they forgot it can shoot at airplanes.
25 Aug 2014, 21:07 PM

Use AA (SU is more affordable on teamgames and you can´t tell me the US AA is bad)

See this is why I do not post on a regular basis anymore. No matter how well written or supported (mine is not really do to its generic request) threads get hijacked by details. I made no mention of what I play, and yet immediately the USF AA truck came out. May I remind you to fully read the thread and not to make assumptions, they lead to flaming in many cases. I could be a pure 1v1 player or an Ostheer only player that thinks the ability is broken. In any case it was an EXAMPLE not a complaint. There are a few abilities like it that I am referring to.

Before I go on to my main statements, I would just like to mention AA is terrible in the whole game. It takes 2-3 AA units depending on positioning, call in area, and what they are doing to reliably shoot down planes. Having one unit does not have an effect.

Now for my main points:

This thread is about call in arty in general, not specifics. I see no reason why call ins should not be consistent. In anything, school, work, games, etc. inconsistencies are not professional and show sloppiness or laziness which are not good things for the upcoming partnership with ESL. It also indirectly makes some doctrines redundantly better. One of the reasons I think making all call in arty un-usable on base sectors is on map artillery. If Call in arty cannot be used in base sectors, it actually allows on the map arty to participate without simply being bombed off the map at the first convenience of your opponents. This indirectly will allow arty to some what be able to counter heavy tanks such as Jagdtiger, ISU, and elephants more readily with out any major statistic changes.

Point two is that Units have cool downs for a reason; they are not supposed to be spammed. Call ins should be no exception. being bombed or strafed for minutes strait leads to dull, non strategic play as you can save munitions (really easy to do in team games) to simply off map bomb your opponents back.
27 Aug 2014, 13:13 PM

Oh yea, also if call in arty was not allowed to be used on the base sector, there would no longer be videos and posts showing how arty killed their base while they were winning
27 Aug 2014, 16:32 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

"I made no mention of what I play..."
I could be a pure 1v1 player or an Ostheer only player that thinks the ability is broken.

As for "the bad experience" the most driving factor is the stuka strafe run. Man of the call in's such as incendiary can also be spammed. In a 1v1 it is not so bad, munitions are spent all over the place. But in any team game resource incomes are much larger and there is a plane in the air pinning squads for minutes strait, making offensives almost impossible.

"...being bombed or strafed for minutes strait leads to dull, non strategic play as you can save munitions (really easy to do in team games) to simply off map bomb your opponents back."

It seems more of a team issue due to overflow of resources rather than anything else.

Notes:
-The scavenger arty needs some tweaks

-I don´t think arty should be INMUNE to offmap cause it´s being built inside the base. On the other hand i think it should be cheaper (for it´s actual performance) and be not cost effective to deal with them with muni abilities.
Also, i don´t see bad play, forcing a masive retreat and then sending some offmap to his base.

-Stuka strafing run can be "spammed" due to being on a commander which gives more resources (Opel or fuel for muni) Also it´s either a 60 or 120muni ability. For the 2nd one, it has a duration of 75s with a behaviour which makes it "easier" to take down. That´s why i´m saying if you are annoyed by strafes, use AA.
IMO: AA range should be smaller but more consistent. (This doesn't apply to MG gunners).

-I don´t see inconsistence in some abilities having different triggers or conditions to be used.
28 Aug 2014, 01:24 AM

well different artillery is different. some artillery is "dumbfired" and it goes where you aim it, some will track the target, some you use the arty on an entire sector, and any enemy in the sector gets targeted. Some has to be used on enemy sectors. You gotta read the description.

28 Aug 2014, 16:48 PM

It seems more of a team issue due to overflow of resources rather than anything else.

Notes:
-The scavenger arty needs some tweaks

-I don´t think arty should be INMUNE to offmap cause it´s being built inside the base. On the other hand i think it should be cheaper (for it´s actual performance) and be not cost effective to deal with them with muni abilities.
Also, i don´t see bad play, forcing a masive retreat and then sending some offmap to his base.

-Stuka strafing run can be "spammed" due to being on a commander which gives more resources (Opel or fuel for muni) Also it´s either a 60 or 120muni ability. For the 2nd one, it has a duration of 75s with a behaviour which makes it "easier" to take down. That´s why i´m saying if you are annoyed by strafes, use AA.
IMO: AA range should be smaller but more consistent. (This doesn't apply to MG gunners).

-I don´t see inconsistence in some abilities having different triggers or conditions to be used.

Inconsistencies? how bout the the US and OKW 105mm can be fired on base sectors but the 240mm USF one cannot

AA in this game is pathetic. I have tested in a custom map before to see how much it takes to reliably stop planes in general:

It takes 2 dedicated AA devices (ostwind, M5) to shoot down the plane at the end of its strafe. This is also assuming both are right near by each other and in the plane's trajectory. It takes 3 to down a plane between the first and second pass. It takes 4 next to each other in order to drop a bombing strike.

OKW is different, their base flack guns do not do a whole lot but there is a tremendous difference with the flack HQ on the field.

It takes some extreme luck to shoot down any planes with pintle mounted mgs

Anyhow I made this post not much out of balance for the call ins themselves but to promote a polished game. Inconsistencies are not very professional. In a sense its like making a law that some people have to fallow but for no reasons others do not.
28 Aug 2014, 17:28 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Inconsistencies? how bout the the US and OKW 105mm can be fired on base sectors but the 240mm USF one cannot

Correct me if i'm wrong (since i do not own the new factions) but one ability launches flares and targets "ground" and on the other hand the other targets sectors.

If your issue is with the 240mm, then you should made a thread regarding that particular ability and not talking about call in artillery in general.

29 Aug 2014, 12:16 PM

AA in this game is pathetic. I have tested in a custom map before to see how much it takes to reliably stop planes in general:

It takes 2 dedicated AA devices (ostwind, M5) to shoot down the plane at the end of its strafe. This is also assuming both are right near by each other and in the plane's trajectory. It takes 3 to down a plane between the first and second pass. It takes 4 next to each other in order to drop a bombing strike.

OKW is different, their base flack guns do not do a whole lot but there is a tremendous difference with the flack HQ on the field.

It takes some extreme luck to shoot down any planes with pintle mounted mgs

Anyhow I made this post not much out of balance for the call ins themselves but to promote a polished game. Inconsistencies are not very professional. In a sense its like making a law that some people have to fallow but for no reasons others do not.

I think you seriously under estimate the lethality of AA. If you are having problems with it in a team game you and your allies should both get AA. Also in team games with 3-5 tanks on the field pintle mgs are suddenly a lot more threatening to planes. I often find myself build an upgunned 222 just to shoot down aircraft. If the enemy is using lots of recon runs I will make 2-3.
29 Aug 2014, 13:32 PM

Inconsistencies are not very professional. In a sense its like making a law that some people have to fallow but for no reasons others do not.

I live in Bananaland and I can say for sure that we live like that. It's irritating, but easily forgetable with samba, axé, sertanejo, caipirinha and bundas.

OT: Different call ins are different. I can't compare strafing runs with artillery. I did lose one time to multiple artillery calls in my base, but it was all my fault. Very frustrating, but my fault nonetheless
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★