Login

russian armor

The Jackson and Micro Fairness

18 Jul 2014, 16:06 PM

The Jackson is, for some wildly incomprehensible reason, looks like it's on the Wovlerine's chassis. It's one of the most expensive tanks in the game and goes down in three hits from an AT Gun and doesn't penetrate armour half the time.

If the maps were decently designed to allow for rapid maneuver of tanks and to allow them to flank and get behind other tanks easily before swiftly moving out of range(i.e. actual harassment) then this might not be a problem.

But the maps are not designed like that. They're designed with choke points and pathblockers which makes microing one of these things in a way that makes it work as it looks like it was meant to be designed, effectively impossible. This is already a big problem in 1v1 games to start with, it is dramatically exacerbated in team games where there is much more firepower on the field.

It needs an armour buff. It's paper thin, and while I hate to resort to the "realism" argument, the kind of fuck up Relic has done here is on par with making a Luchs as durable as a Tiger. The Jackson has much, much, much better armour - arguably on par with a Tiger I. So it's baffling to me that it's one of the weakest tanks in the game in that regard.

125 fuel is *one of the most expensive tanks in the game*? lol, that is the cost of a P4
18 Jul 2014, 16:18 PM

The Jackson is, for some wildly incomprehensible reason, looks like it's on the Wovlerine's chassis. It's one of the most expensive tanks in the game and goes down in three hits from an AT Gun and doesn't penetrate armour half the time.

If the maps were decently designed to allow for rapid maneuver of tanks and to allow them to flank and get behind other tanks easily before swiftly moving out of range(i.e. actual harassment) then this might not be a problem.

But the maps are not designed like that. They're designed with choke points and pathblockers which makes microing one of these things in a way that makes it work as it looks like it was meant to be designed, effectively impossible. This is already a big problem in 1v1 games to start with, it is dramatically exacerbated in team games where there is much more firepower on the field.

It needs an armour buff. It's paper thin, and while I hate to resort to the "realism" argument, the kind of fuck up Relic has done here is on par with making a Luchs as durable as a Tiger. The Jackson has much, much, much better armour - arguably on par with a Tiger I. So it's baffling to me that it's one of the weakest tanks in the game in that regard.

Do you even play this game? The Jackson is not even close to being one of the most expensive tanks... it isn't even the most expensive usf tank. Also AT guns should excel against tank destroyers because you know... that's the hard counter and stuff... the Jackson is really, really, really good. It baffles me that people actually think this tank needs a buff. Yes fix its targeting priority because TDs have no business shooting inf and this would be a quality of life change for all TDs in the game, but there is no way in hell that the Jackson needs an actual performance, health or armor increase.
18 Jul 2014, 16:22 PM

320/126 fuel and you call this expensive? It's penny's worth for what it can do. It's cheaper than PzIV (!)
19 Jul 2014, 00:09 AM

125 fuel is *one of the most expensive tanks in the game*? lol, that is the cost of a P4

320/126 fuel and you call this expensive? It's penny's worth for what it can do. It's cheaper than PzIV (!)

And it shows, given that it loses straight up to PIVs.
19 Jul 2014, 00:29 AM
Developer Relic Badge

And how does that tell anything? Units don't operate in a vacuum.

And you're not paying for a unit to slug it out with other tank. You're paying for a mobile, anti-armour sniper unit that also has the ability to repair on the fly. When I buy a StuG I'm not paying for a main battle tank, what is essentially just DPS and a possible snare unit.
19 Jul 2014, 01:02 AM

Lol, you have 20 more range than him, use it at your advantage
19 Jul 2014, 01:03 AM

>Buys Tank Destroyer

>Loses to tank of similar cost

It's balanced guys!

Lol, you have 20 more range than him, use it at your advantage

If only every map in this game wasn't filled with sight blockers and choke points and pathing actually worked!

People here can theorycraft all they want but to anyone who actually plays this game(i.e. not the musical chairs that is 1v1 that about 5% of the population plays(Optimistically speaking)) they know that the Jackson's a subpar unit in general. But frankly, this even applies in 1v1.
19 Jul 2014, 01:28 AM
Honorary Member Badge

>Buys Tank Destroyer

It's balanced guys!

If only every map in this game wasn't filled with sight blockers and choke points and pathing actually worked!

People here can theorycraft all they want but to anyone who actually plays this game(i.e. not the musical chairs that is 1v1 that about 5% of the population plays(Optimistically speaking)) they know that the Jackson's a subpar unit in general. But frankly, this even applies in 1v1.

If you played more and theorycrafted less you'd know that the Jackson and P4 will trade off and blow each other up in a dead tie even if the P4 teleported right into 40 range. So if you're losing Jacksons to P4s you're just screwing up and letting him shoot first, even though you have hold fire and he doesn't.

Starting at 60 range and with the P4 blitzing forward and the Jackson reversing, the P4 will get one shot off before being reduced to bits of scrap metal at 11 seconds into the engagement.
19 Jul 2014, 01:30 AM

Balance is not an indicator of why automatch vastly favours german players.

Americans and Soviets are the two strongest factions in 1v1 right now, but it's still vastly axis skewed.
19 Jul 2014, 01:40 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I´m not saying that the Jackson is fine or not but your logic is flawed.

Fixing that for you
>Buys Tank Destroyer
>Makes bad use of it

Also:

Sight blocker
-If not house and destructible enviroment
--Use ground fire
-If house
--Destroy house
---Use ground fire
Profit.

19 Jul 2014, 02:26 AM

If you're losing Jacksons to p4s you should probably stop posting about balance because it means you're, frankly, terrible. There is no universe or scenario in which the Jackson does not completely hard counter a p4. Hell, it even shuts down Panthers. Even with the worst micro imaginable the Jackson at least takes the p4 to the grave with it. But that should never happen.

Anyways please actually play the game before you post such completely ignorant statements.
19 Jul 2014, 09:08 AM

Permanently Banned
Balance is not an indicator of why automatch vastly favours german players.

Americans and Soviets are the two strongest factions in 1v1 right now, but it's still vastly axis skewed.

Are you really that naive that you belive it's not determined by balance??? That's exciting, because I don't really think everyone plays only germans due to their cool uniforms? The problem is, that balance heavily favours the germans and the 80% germans usually are just a logical consequence to this. Who wants to play the weaker faction if you just want to have some fast fun?
19 Jul 2014, 10:00 AM

Conclusion:
- people dislike easy-play / easy-win factions.

No they just like OKW, because they have cool units and because they are a german faction.
19 Jul 2014, 10:01 AM

Are you really that naive that you belive it's not determined by balance??? That's exciting, because I don't really think everyone plays only germans due to their cool uniforms? The problem is, that balance heavily favours the germans and the 80% germans usually are just a logical consequence to this. Who wants to play the weaker faction if you just want to have some fast fun?

I don't know if it's a balance issue, it's more of a skill issue. I've been playing some random team games again and the skill level of Allies players just seems really low. That's probably a simple consequence of the masses not playing Allies, therefore they're not very good at them and don't know the units or anything about microing those units. Or that Axis is easier to play (I think this is true in team games - take area, hold area, tech up.)Furthermore, the same old truth that an Allied team still requires much more coordination than an Axis teams still holds true with WFA.

Usually if I hit a coordinated Allied team, they walk all over random Axis, but unfortunately, not as often as I'd like.
19 Jul 2014, 12:09 PM

Permanently Banned

I don't know if it's a balance issue, it's more of a skill issue. I've been playing some random team games again and the skill level of Allies players just seems really low. That's probably a simple consequence of the masses not playing Allies, therefore they're not very good at them and don't know the units or anything about microing those units. Or that Axis is easier to play (I think this is true in team games - take area, hold area, tech up.)Furthermore, the same old truth that an Allied team still requires much more coordination than an Axis teams still holds true with WFA.

Usually if I hit a coordinated Allied team, they walk all over random Axis, but unfortunately, not as often as I'd like.

Great post you made there. Really enjoyed reading, because there is a lot of trueness in there.
Maybe 1vs1 is balanced, but I still think tthat germans are favored in Team games die to their faction design like you said: hold, defend, tech, win. This is mich harder to do as an Allied player
19 Jul 2014, 13:04 PM

Allies, if highly coordinated, are significantly stronger in team games. Unfortunately this level of coordination is (I assume, I don't play with random teams) very hard to find in random automatch.

Ost is probably strongest in 1v1, at the highest levels, while okw is the weakest.

Axis is easier to be average at, but harder to play perfectly. My two cents.
19 Jul 2014, 13:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2014, 13:04 PMCieZ
Allies, if highly coordinated, are significantly stronger in team games. Unfortunately this level of coordination is (I assume, I don't play with random teams) very hard to find in random automatch.

Ost is probably strongest in 1v1, at the highest levels, while okw is the weakest.

From what I've seen recently, Ost is dominated by US in 1v1, especially on constrained maps.
19 Jul 2014, 14:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2014, 13:04 PMCieZ

If OKW are even a bit coordinated they are much stronger then a coordinated Allied team. Have you ever tried to uproot multiple overlapping medic and flak trucks. It's fucking impossible no matter what units you build.
19 Jul 2014, 15:18 PM

If OKW are even a bit coordinated they are much stronger then a coordinated Allied team. Have you ever tried to uproot multiple overlapping medic and flak trucks. It's fucking impossible no matter what units you build.

Axis still have no counter to sniper, maxim, zis with guards and shocks running around. Zis guns kill trucks super easily. Not to mention demo charges and mines, which are a nightmare to defuse as okw.
19 Jul 2014, 15:58 PM

Usually OKW never gets far enough to get up the FlaK truck (in an actually defensive position and not just really far back). The early support weapons and mass of infantry forces them to get either a walking stuka, a FlaK HT or a medic truck with leIGs. If the Allies then apply pressure at the right timings (those units tend to be rather risky and only profitable in the long run, short term they have a huge cost and little impact) you can often cause such economic damage that they never recover.
Even mid lategame the USF / Soviets tend to have great counters and can often quickly switch tactics. Adapting to a new situation is something the OBW / OST are not really good at.

We had some internal games (3v3 / 4v4) higher skill players to test it out and in all cases Allies won. Axis might win annihilation games easily, but the early pressure from Allies means that for a long time they are usually triple capped. At a certain point they need to take fights in which they lose squads, if the Allies know that and cause maximum wipes in such situations the higher vet is useless.
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★