Login

russian armor

Pathfinders (USF)

14 Jul 2014, 18:51 PM

Very small suggestion, i'd like to see Relic consider moving the Pathfinders in the Airborne doctrine from one CP, to 0 CP. Reasoning is, it opens up more options for USF players who are rather limited in the very early game. Similar to Assault engineers, more options would be nice, although I acknowledge it has some knock on effect on timings early game, as it means USF would be able to get a squad(S) out without building time from the barracks.

Assault grens for Ostheer appear to work okay in this regard, would Pathfinders?

14 Jul 2014, 18:56 PM

I think they need to be 0cp even if it did mean that the pathfinders had to be nerfed. The biggest problem of the airborne doctrine is that by the time airborne come in the player is forced to build too many rifles to still build airborne.
14 Jul 2014, 18:59 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

That wouldn't change the fact that pathfinders are a total waste of manpower. They cost more than a rifle squad and have less firepower and less utility.

Getting them earlier wouldn't help as they're not useful that early in the game. Instead, they should be either cheaper or more effective.
14 Jul 2014, 19:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jul 2014, 18:59 PMRomeo
That wouldn't change the fact that pathfinders are a total waste of manpower. They cost more than a rifle squad and have less firepower and less utility.

Getting them earlier wouldn't help as they're not useful that early in the game. Instead, they should be either cheaper or more effective.

Take this with a pinch of salt, but I find them a reasonable support unit. They come with Camo, longer vision and decent long range dps. With vet, they become quite good imo.
14 Jul 2014, 19:15 PM

I wouldnt call them useless or a waste. There head shot crit makes them a godly supportive unit, I belive bringing them to 0cp would give us an even stronger early game.
As of right now pathfinders are one of my favorite units. Take care of them and keep them at max range and in cover and they work wonders.

Back to the post. I would love too see them at 0 cp . It gets stale waiting for 1cp witch is about the time you get 50fuel witch. You can get pathfinders or tech and get them after.
Bringing them down to 0cp would also allow you to drop a becon behind lines instead of just using them to renforce your squads in the back.
14 Jul 2014, 19:28 PM
Patrion 14

I agree wholeheartedly to this change, the use for pathfinders is supposedly to infiltrate enemy liness, and they are unable to do this effectively in 2v2 game modes and above due to the way the maps are set up. Giving us pathfinders at 0 CPs will allow them to do their job and still be balanced, due to the fact that a pathfinder squad will not be able to fight alone, and the 290 mp investment means no rifle squad.
14 Jul 2014, 19:35 PM
Patrion 27

It's expensive to reinforce, but crewing your para-dropped .50 cal or AT gun with Pathfinders will give them the Pathfinder vision range.
14 Jul 2014, 21:05 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

It's expensive to reinforce, but crewing your para-dropped .50 cal or AT gun with Pathfinders will give them the Pathfinder vision range.

That's a fun fact! Unfortunately it's probably also a bug...
14 Jul 2014, 21:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jul 2014, 21:05 PMRomeo

I don't think so, infantry capturing support weapons have always retained their stats.
14 Jul 2014, 23:09 PM

If that's the case than I think I just found something even better for my Pathfinders to do than just hide and scout.

But yeah, giving this guy out at 0CP is a very nice ideal consider that they not actual stand-alone combat unit and more of a scout/support unit.

15 Jul 2014, 00:16 AM

changing them to CP0 is a step in the right direction but they need more.
IMO they are probably the least cost-effective infantry in the game. Sure they have "decent" long range firepower but it doesn't scale well.

The biggest issue is they have no abilities, neither combat nor defensive. If they could reinforce from the beacons that could also be another help.

Even beacons are of questionable value. I mean USF already has Ambulence, which you certainly build build anyway. I can see a few, rare, situations where be beacons would help keep your paras in the fight, but chances are they'll be fighting with the rest of your infantry so they will probably just retreat to ambulence to get healed as well.

Basically, I'm just saying that pathfinders need to do "more". Not pressing for any one thing. Just some abilities, or the ability to reinforce from beacons. Having them at CP0 would be nice too.
15 Jul 2014, 02:35 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jul 2014, 21:05 PMRomeo
I don't think so, infantry capturing support weapons have always retained their stats.

Agreed. While it's probably not intentional, or at least something they thought of, it's not an accident either. Shock Troops recrewing a weapon keep their 1.5 armour and SMG's, same goes for all other infantry. In this case, Pathfinders have a large visual range as one of their characteristics, and that carries over.
15 Jul 2014, 03:00 AM

Get 1 pathfinder squad, use him to reinforce all your HMGs and AT guns.
23 Jan 2017, 11:08 AM

I agree with OP, 0CP Pathfinders could indeed provide a wider area of openings for US
23 Jan 2017, 11:23 AM

I agree with OP, 0CP Pathfinders could indeed provide a wider area of openings for US

+1

I agree with Nekromag, rifles openig is reason, why I abadon USF play.

And the same for Jaggers and PanzerFussiliers. Non elite infantry would be from start.
23 Jan 2017, 11:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2017, 11:23 AMAradan

+1

I agree with Nekromag, rifles openig is reason, why I abadon USF play.

And the same for Jaggers and PanzerFussiliers. Non elite infantry would be from start.

Since when are Jäger not elite infantry anymore?
23 Jan 2017, 12:28 PM

I think a solution to this issue would be to increase the build time of riflemen and allow riflemen to upgrade to other infantry or officers for a premium at vet 1.

With the introduction of the mortar riflemen need to be toned anyway.
23 Jan 2017, 12:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2017, 12:28 PMVipper
I think a solution to this issue would be to increase the build time of riflemen and allow riflemen to upgrade to other infantry or officers for a premium at vet 1.

Wait, just to make clear that I understood that correctly: Instead of receiving officers free by teching up (something that has looked quite hypocritical since the removal of OKW's teching boons, and especially when looking at Ostheer and Soviet teching), officers would have to be upgraded from Riflemen separately of teching up?

On one hand that offers so much interesting possibilities (tying the exact officer upgrade to the veterancy level of the squad that is to be upgraded, i.e. a vet1 Rifleman squad can only become a Lieutenant, while upgrading to a Major requires a vet3 squad), but on the other hand that would require significant rebalancing of those officers, considering that a Major has significantly less combat impact than a Rifleman squad (thus reducing the probability for players to upgrade to him).
23 Jan 2017, 12:36 PM

Since when are Jäger not elite infantry anymore?

They are form of recon/sniper unit. Way to deal with MG spam.
But I admit that, they could be very strong in early combat.
23 Jan 2017, 12:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2017, 12:36 PMAradan

They are form of recon/sniper unit. Way to deal with MG spam.
But I admit that, they could be very strong in early combat.

That doesn't change the fact that their starting stats and upkeep cost clearly marks them as elite infantry.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★