Login

russian armor

What happened to blizzards?

14 Jul 2014, 02:09 AM
Donator 11

I like blizzards i just dislike how fast the troops are freezing during blizzards, making assaults impossible. The whole freezing mechanic should be removed its not fun now and never was.
14 Jul 2014, 02:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jul 2014, 01:45 AMnee
I believe blizzards are meant to be part of the Russian winter theme; France didn't have any blizzards during WW2, for example.

I think that they should have a milder form of blizzard though. It would still have the mechanic but of course the effects are lowered.
I'm pretty sure there were blizzards during the battle of the bulge, but it was nothing like the russian blizzards. People were more likely get hypothermia and frostbite then outright freeze to death.
14 Jul 2014, 03:31 AM

Blizzards add a layer of depth that the original COH didn't have. More battlefield variety is a good thing, as is a semblance of realism.
14 Jul 2014, 03:45 AM

blizzard was kinda fun, you could sneak around laying mines and what not and walk up to mg to toss a molotov.
14 Jul 2014, 06:01 AM

As annoying as blizzards are, I like them for one single reason-they allow you to break stalemate.
14 Jul 2014, 06:30 AM
Donator 22

Blizzards are fantastic for atmosphere...but as already mentioned kinda suck for gameplay.

Maybe if they revamped it somewhat...get rid of freezing to death or maybe winter coats a purchaseable upgrade....I dunno.

I like the idea of making it a option you can "veto" before start of game. Then those that want it would see it more often and those that don't wouldn't have to worry about it. Everyone happy!
14 Jul 2014, 07:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jul 2014, 06:01 AMKatitof
As annoying as blizzards are, I like them for one single reason-they allow you to break stalemate.
True, that's what blizzards are good for. Allows one side to advance under the cover of the blizzard.
14 Jul 2014, 08:16 AM

Blizzard adding depth to the game? Mind sharing what you are smoking?
14 Jul 2014, 08:20 AM
Honorary Member Badge

depth means depth whether that depth is good or bad is an opinion.
14 Jul 2014, 09:37 AM

Imo blizzards favor soviets, as their infantry is best at close range.

As a side note, some odd behaviour from blizzards: a unit that is freezing and hit by a molotov is freezing to death and burning to death at the same time (iirc). :loco:
14 Jul 2014, 13:40 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Hux
14 Jul 2014, 15:35 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jul 2014, 08:16 AMPorygon

You don't think blizzards add depth?.... Right.....

I want absolutely NONE of what you're smoking.
14 Jul 2014, 15:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jul 2014, 08:35 AMKatitof

This is correct.

Blizzards are exclusive to eastern front maps and the two in question never were eastern front ones, but just a ports.

Langres used to have blizzards man, only semois never have them.
14 Jul 2014, 16:04 PM
Patrion 39

IMO blizzards add some nice touches with the severely decreased LoS and slower infantry speed, but where it annoys a lot of people is the freezing mechanic. Good luck trying to lead an infantry assault in a blizzard before your guys start freezing to death.

At the moment it just adds another thing to worry about during intense games, especially on big snow maps where you can literally lose squads from freezing to death on their retreat to base. That's not fun in any way. And the fires, too? It's just too gimmicky.

If they took away the freezing, it would be more enjoyable, and actually add some practical strategic depth to the game. Less realistic? Absolutely, but remember, it's about gameplay, not realism.
14 Jul 2014, 16:09 PM

I'm pretty sure there were blizzards during the battle of the bulge, but it was nothing like the russian blizzards. People were more likely get hypothermia and frostbite then outright freeze to death.

Yeah for WFA winter map, blizzard should exist and it should only reduce visibility and slowing down unit slightly, the whole freezing to death in this game is retarded, but the other effects are interesting, with blizzard on, at least my normal soildier have a fighting chance against ubermensch(Ober)/Chuck Norris(Para).
14 Jul 2014, 17:16 PM

blizzards should exist tbh. Since it was a core feature except all discussions are just turn them off rather than "how do we balance them".

Although simply put I wouldnt know how to balance the game with them since the dynamics of this game is very random and if u screw up the consequences are very unforgiving.
14 Jul 2014, 18:33 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Remove death from freeze, just leave the debuff penalties.
Add hold fire on all units, so you can make use of heavy snow to cloak your units.
Give cammo upgrade, inmunity to freezing.
15 Jul 2014, 00:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jul 2014, 08:16 AMPorygon

They force you to periodically change your playstyle. Both defensively and offensively.

Defensively, your weapons teams are less effective. Poorly positioned teams will freeze unless you construct firepits or garrison them (in the case of mg's). Their line of sight is crippled and indirect fire units are less accurate. Offensively you have to be conscious of avoiding deep snow (which will make your freeze faster), avoiding frozen rivers which can break or affect mobility of your vehicles. This mixes up the game: if you were on the backfoot because your opponent has an established forward position, this gives you more opportunity to flank. Likewise, defensively you can prepare for blizzards with firepits, bunkers or by placing demo charges on ice.

There's also "scorched earth" style tactics of destroying firepits that your opponent could use around strat points, which inattentive players (IE the people bitching about blizzards) will not notice and then constantly be struggling due to the cold.

Abilities that increase unit detection are suddenly 100x more valuable during blizzards. Infantry Awareness/vehicle awareness/spotlight HT etc etc. They're still useful in summer maps and non-blizzard winter maps, but their utility is greatly enhanced when your vision radius is significantly reduced.

Blizzard/Winter mechanics are one of the best additions of the game. Shame people don't fucking play around them and just bitch about how their infantry (which they repeatedly path through deep snow and never build fire pits or micromanage warmth) are dying.

I mean fuck when firepits had 35 radius people still didn't fucking build them and then bitched that their units were slowed down.

15 Jul 2014, 03:41 AM

They force you to periodically change your playstyle. Both defensively and offensively.

Defensively, your weapons teams are less effective. Poorly positioned teams will freeze unless you construct firepits or garrison them (in the case of mg's). Their line of sight is crippled and indirect fire units are less accurate. Offensively you have to be conscious of avoiding deep snow (which will make your freeze faster), avoiding frozen rivers which can break or affect mobility of your vehicles. This mixes up the game: if you were on the backfoot because your opponent has an established forward position, this gives you more opportunity to flank. Likewise, defensively you can prepare for blizzards with firepits, bunkers or by placing demo charges on ice.

There's also "scorched earth" style tactics of destroying firepits that your opponent could use around strat points, which inattentive players (IE the people bitching about blizzards) will not notice and then constantly be struggling due to the cold.

Abilities that increase unit detection are suddenly 100x more valuable during blizzards. Infantry Awareness/vehicle awareness/spotlight HT etc etc. They're still useful in summer maps and non-blizzard winter maps, but their utility is greatly enhanced when your vision radius is significantly reduced.

All you need is jump into a house, enjoying superior LoS in blizzard, or use the maphack HT/222.

It takes a really high risk for both sides attacking and defending, support weapon becomes close to useless. Agile light armour lost their speed advantage. Luftwaffe/Red Air Force is completely shutdown (Somehow the USAF P-47 can challenge the blizzard, DAFUG). White screen of snow irritating player's eyes and drop DPS decreasing the effectiveness of micro (unless you have a hyper expensive graphic card).

At all, it just slow the damn game down for a minute, which is stupid.
16 Jul 2014, 22:11 PM

Every game I had where there was a blizzard, I thought "my opponent couldn't be dumb enough to attack and cap points during this".

And every time I was proven wrong. That's what pissed me off the most about blizzards. STOP capping my points in a blizzard, assholes.
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Livestreams

unknown 37
United Kingdom 18
Korea, Republic Of 9
unknown 14

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %