Login

russian armor

Obersoldaten MG 34 is droppable!

7 Jul 2014, 18:08 PM

I put this in "Bugs" because I can't see any reason this would be intentional. The Obersoldaten MG 34 is a special weapon only meant to be used by them, yet for some reason it can be dropped and picked up. This weapon makes up about 50 - 80% of their squad's damage output. When you buy Obersoldaten, you're mostly getting them for this one weapon. This weapon is what makes the unit.

Obersoldaten without this MG 34 are glorified Grenadiers, their rifles are very similar to Grenadier rifles. If it drops and gets picked up by another squad (even osttruppen or rear echies), that squad now has the at least 80% of the damage output of the Obersoldaten, and I'm sure that can't be intentional.

7 Jul 2014, 18:09 PM

Having used obersoldaten, it's the closest thing they currently have to being balanced, I'm all for leaving it in. Guards drop their DP's and PTRS, too, leaving them a glorified and expensive conscript squad. Consider it incentive to use your obers carefully.
7 Jul 2014, 18:15 PM

Having used obersoldaten, it's the closest thing they currently have to being balanced, I'm all for leaving it in. Guards drop their DP's and PTRS, too, leaving them a glorified and expensive conscript squad. Consider it incentive to use your obers carefully.

The way I see it, this is basically a squad dropping their Vet, and having another squad pick it up and instantly become elite troops. The MG 34 DPS is supposed to represent their skill, having it capturable defeats that purpose and the squad DPS is lower than LMG Grenadiers without it. If they lose their LMG, they become near useless as they can't even take on BAR Rifles confidently. If it's going to be droppable, then it needs to be nerfed heavily and that damage output 'transferred' to their Kar 98's to make up the difference.
7 Jul 2014, 18:21 PM

Why would it not be intentional?

A line of code that says 'weapon can drop = 1' or something like that does not pop up out of nowhere.
7 Jul 2014, 18:22 PM

The way I see it, this is basically a squad dropping their Vet, and having another squad pick it up and instantly become elite troops. The MG 34 DPS is supposed to represent their skill, having it capturable defeats that purpose and the squad DPS is lower than LMG Grenadiers without it. If they lose their LMG, they become near useless as they can't even take on BAR Rifles confidently. If it's going to be droppable, then it needs to be nerfed heavily and that damage output 'transferred' to their Kar 98's to make up the difference.

Hardly. They still have armour, a received accuracy modifier, great vet bonuses, grenades, booby traps and the like.

Obers remain a versatile if not very impressive raw damage squad without the MG34.

The important thing is to be bloody careful with them. If you lose enough men to drop your MG, don't pick it up and then retreat, consider the massive bonus your opponent can get payment for how massively powerful Obers are.

Allowing them to drop such an important item is your own fault. OKW are supposed to be all high risk/reward, after all. Sturmtigers n'all that.
7 Jul 2014, 18:26 PM

Guards can drop PTRS, obers can drop their LMGs.

Working as intended.
7 Jul 2014, 18:30 PM

Hardly. They still have armour, a received accuracy modifier, great vet bonuses, grenades, booby traps and the like.

Okay a better example would be a KV-8 somehow dropping it's super-flamethrower. It's a weapon only meant to be used by that unit. Without it, the unit isn't very effective, while another unit somewhere else suddenly more effective than it could ever become otherwise.

This isn't like a Guard dropping his DP or a Grenadier dropping his MG 42. This is a keystone part of the unit being dropped, possibly being taken by any other unit and becoming the new Obersoldaten.
7 Jul 2014, 18:32 PM

Okay a better example would be a KV-8 somehow dropping it's super-flamethrower. It's a weapon only meant to be used by that unit...

This is your opinion, and I disagree with it. About all that needs to be said.
7 Jul 2014, 18:40 PM

Okay a better example would be a KV-8 somehow dropping it's super-flamethrower. It's a weapon only meant to be used by that unit. Without it, the unit isn't very effective, while another unit somewhere else suddenly more effective than it could ever become otherwise.

This isn't like a Guard dropping his DP or a Grenadier dropping his MG 42. This is a keystone part of the unit being dropped, possibly being taken by any other unit and becoming the new Obersoldaten.

And how effective are guards at AT without their droppable PTRS?

How effective are irregulars without their LMGs?

How effective are LMG paratroopers who loose their LMGs?

That is a bad argument and you are simply wrong here.

Its also not exactly easy to loose the LMG on them unless you insist on fighting tanks.
7 Jul 2014, 18:51 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

How do they drop it?
Like Grens LMG only when the last guy dies or sooner?
7 Jul 2014, 18:56 PM

Guards without AT Rifles can be converted to an AI role instead, which they play better than Conscripts or Penals. Irregulars only have normal MG's and are one of the cheapest infantry units in the game. I never lost an MG on Para's but I assume they can just upgrade to a new one. Obersoldaten without an MG 34 are just not Obersoldaten anymore. Contrary, any unit that does pick it up are granted the magical power of death. Even Rear Echelon with an Ober MG 34 will beat Grenadiers with an MG 42.

I don't think RNG should dictate whether your Obersoldaten retain their ability to fight, or worse, whether your opponent essentially life-steals their ability to fight.
7 Jul 2014, 18:59 PM

it's actually a good thing if gaurds drop their PTRS, instead it gets replaced by a mosin nagant which is very good.
7 Jul 2014, 19:01 PM

Guards without AT Rifles can be converted to an AI role instead, which they play better than Conscripts or Penals. Irregulars only have normal MG's and are one of the cheapest infantry units in the game. I never lost an MG on Para's but I assume they can just upgrade to a new one. Obersoldaten without an MG 34 are just not Obersoldaten anymore. Contrary, any unit that does pick it up are granted the magical power of death. Even Rear Echelon with an Ober MG 34 will beat Grenadiers with an MG 42.

I don't think RNG should dictate whether your Obersoldaten retain their ability to fight, or worse, whether your opponent essentially life-steals their ability to fight.

Its completely irrelevant.

Its still a weapon the squads spawn with, can loose and have no way of retaining.
7 Jul 2014, 19:01 PM

Doesnt your obersoldaten squad have to die first to drop their weapon? Other than the very rare instances when they are holding on to a second weapon and the lmg34 model dies and drops his weapon first. But its fairly easy to keep obersoldaten alive.
7 Jul 2014, 19:09 PM

"They're not OP...but when my dropped MG is used against me, that's OP!"

It's working as intended. All LMGs and handheld AT weapons have a chance of being dropped in the game. Obersoldatens that lose their LMGs still have a higher than average DPS "honor guard" K98 and function well as long range units. Outside of the fact that the LMG34 DPS should be closer in line to current LMG42...IMO, they should be repurchaseable and brings about the argument that they should be upgrades along with STGs. I wouldn't mind if they started out with 2 G43s and be given the choice to upgrade to IRSTGs or LMG34s.
7 Jul 2014, 19:20 PM

GOD FORBID
7 Jul 2014, 19:37 PM

So everyone is fine with the fact that any squad can pick up this weapon and suddenly be able to fight twice their worth? Rear Echelon can mop up MG 42 Grenadiers and it's fine?

This weapon was designed to be used by Obersoldaten, they were designed to be tough. But anywhere else, yes, it is broken. If it's going to drop, it shouldn't be a god-weapon.
7 Jul 2014, 19:56 PM

Remove lmg34, bug fixed.
7 Jul 2014, 19:59 PM

Remove lmg34, bug fixed.

Hope you intend to massively buff Obersoldaten's rifles to make up for it then.
7 Jul 2014, 20:02 PM

Hope you intend to massively buff Obersoldaten's rifles to make up for it then.

nope, but every bug needs to be squashed
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS