Login

russian armor

Rear Echelon Suppresive fire.

2 Jul 2014, 17:15 PM

This ability seems too powerful when its one RE squad vs any enemy squad on a flank.

While the ability is active, it should not inflict much damage, like a vcoh MG42 would not inflict much damage, you need supporting troops to come in and damage/force off the suppressed squad.

All you have to do with RE, is active their ability, and then once suppressed just walk up and kill the squad. For their price, this seems OP to me.

The intention of the ability should be to support rifles and add fire support / suppresion tool. Not make them stand alone vs any lone enemy squad.

2 Jul 2014, 17:17 PM

The ability is ok in my opinion because echelons can't do anything else, but I think it's bad that volley also suppresses units in perfect green cover.
2 Jul 2014, 17:18 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Another thing to note: You can suppress multiple squads, you can use this ability on the move, in buildings. For a 160 MP squad it's too damn good. But nothing new here, this issue was mentioned in other threads already.
2 Jul 2014, 17:21 PM

Don't forget the bazooka volley
2 Jul 2014, 17:44 PM

Its broken in its current state and i guess everyone agrees.
2 Jul 2014, 17:52 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Bazooka volleyfire.. I discovered this "feature" recently with my P4.
2 Jul 2014, 17:58 PM
Donator 22

its funny to see, how they suppress your MG42.... straight infront of you MG:S
2 Jul 2014, 19:48 PM

Another thing to note: You can suppress multiple squads, you can use this ability on the move, in buildings. For a 160 MP squad it's too damn good. But nothing new here, this issue was mentioned in other threads already.

Exactly. Rather these are the problems, than their single-squad supress ability on open ground.
2 Jul 2014, 19:57 PM

It's wrong for a cheap harassing unit which is often going to be used on quite flanks to have an ability which allows it to easily beat single handed oh any other squad.
2 Jul 2014, 20:17 PM

The ability is ok in my opinion because echelons can't do anything else, but I think it's bad that volley also suppresses units in perfect green cover.

Pioneers and combat engineers also can't do anything else. I don't see why RET, at just 160mp, should have such a fire-fight impact while the more expensive ostheer pios and soviet CEs hardly have any impact in fire-fights.

Volley fire should at least be a vet1 ability.
2 Jul 2014, 20:19 PM
Patrion 15

2 Jul 2014, 20:20 PM

Pioneers and combat engineers also can't do anything else. I don't see why RET, at just 160mp, should have such a fire-fight impact while the more expensive ostheer pios and soviet CEs hardly have any impact in fire-fights.

Actually, CEs and pios put down mines and flame away garrisons.

So yea, they do excel there RETs can't.
2 Jul 2014, 20:21 PM

+1 for the Vet1 ability but I think then the Echelons have to be buffed in order to compensate their lack of everything.
Combat engineers and Ostpioneers can deploy mines which is extremely efficient. Sturmpios are extremly strong close range.
Only the Echelons have nothing they are good at.

2 Jul 2014, 20:59 PM

I think it's fine if it's not a charging ability that can be transfered onto other squads. If you pin a squad, force it to retreat and then shoot directly after the cooldown on another unit it should load again in order to supress and not instant supress the next unit.

It's needed for rear echolons because US forces can't suppress in the first engagements, which makes them very vulnerable to flanking Storm pios. Rear echolons don't scale well into late game, so building even two Rear echolons (in order to spam the ability) instead of one riflemen is usually a very bad strategical decision since you canteasily counter that with T2 okw/ost to a game deciding point.

2 Jul 2014, 20:59 PM
Patrion 14

Remove the ability from the game and it will be balanced...

On a more serious note, it needs to require vet1/lose the ability once you change targets.
2 Jul 2014, 21:00 PM

Simple fix just make cover effect the effectiveness of volly eg.
Heavey cover- volly has very little effect
medium cover volly takes a reasonable time to take effect (say 5 seconds or maybe more)
Light cover- volly takes effect reasonably fast (say 3 seconds)
No cover- volly takes effect extreamly fast

I think something like this would work really well.this would reward good play and punish bad play as cover is one of the most important elements in coh2.
2 Jul 2014, 21:13 PM
Patrion 14

Simple fix just make cover effect the effectiveness of volly eg.
Heavey cover- volly has very little effect
medium cover volly takes a reasonable time to take effect (say 5 seconds or maybe more)
Light cover- volly takes effect reasonably fast (say 3 seconds)
No cover- volly takes effect extremely fast

I think something like this would work really well.this would reward good play and punish bad play as cover is one of the most important elements in coh2.

This is already the case, It's very hard to suppress squads with it at range in heavy cover. The suppression works like any other suppression where cover helps to reduce it.
2 Jul 2014, 21:26 PM

Actually, CEs and pios put down mines and flame away garrisons.

So yea, they do excel there RETs can't.

And RET can pick up bazookas for AT roles or light machine guns for added long range AI firepower. There is no reason why RET are so effective for their low cost. At their current effectiveness they have no business being in the same price category at combat engineers. They should either get volley fire bumped to Vet1, or be a lot more expensive.
2 Jul 2014, 21:49 PM

Just make it target one squad, and maybe bump their price up to 200 MP.

Removing it would mean the death of US forces. They have no other ways to win early engagement consistently.
2 Jul 2014, 22:05 PM
Patrion 14

Just make it target one squad, and maybe bump their price up to 200 MP.

Removing it would mean the death of US forces. They have no other ways to win early engagement consistently.

They're called Riflemen. Soviets and Germans have to use positioning and cover to win - so should Americans who already have quite and edge with superior riflemen.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 54
unknown 23
Germany 18

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak