Login

russian armor

Dealing with volley fire

25 Jun 2014, 20:09 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

What is the best way to deal with volley fire in the early game if the US player pumps out 3+ rear echelon squads? The problem is they get sent around at the back of the map to cap, so unless I send more than one squad they will get volley fired and pinned.
25 Jun 2014, 22:05 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

25 Jun 2014, 22:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jun 2014, 20:09 PMTobis
What is the best way to deal with volley fire in the early game if the US player pumps out 3+ rear echelon squads? The problem is they get sent around at the back of the map to cap, so unless I send more than one squad they will get volley fired and pinned.

Keep in mind that volley fire costs 20 munitions, and is followed by a cool down. Also at med to long range it takes a very long time for it to suppress/pin. in my experience the best and easiest way to deal with Rear Echelon Troops is to use your own mg's to pin them. also when you realize you are facing someone using 2 or more Rear Echelon Troops and are using the volley fire ability often, they are sacrificing their ability to buy upgrades unless they are sitting on munitions points and building munitions cache's.

and remember when facing units that can pin, you must keep your units spread out. also remember Rear Echelon Troops can only volley fire on one unit at a time. if they switch to fire at another unit the ability turns off and the cool down starts.

I hope that helps.
25 Jun 2014, 22:57 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Thanks that is good advice. One more thing, I saw them use volley fire from within a building to pin a squad outside attacking them, I assume he targeted and then hopped in the building where it kept working. Any way to deal with garrisons besides ISG or vehicles?
25 Jun 2014, 23:21 PM

Keep in mind that volley fire costs 20 munitions, and is followed by a cool down. Also at med to long range it takes a very long time for it to suppress/pin. in my experience the best and easiest way to deal with Rear Echelon Troops is to use your own mg's to pin them. also when you realize you are facing someone using 2 or more Rear Echelon Troops and are using the volley fire ability often, they are sacrificing their ability to buy upgrades unless they are sitting on munitions points and building munitions cache's.

and remember when facing units that can pin, you must keep your units spread out. also remember Rear Echelon Troops can only volley fire on one unit at a time. if they switch to fire at another unit the ability turns off and the cool down starts.

I hope that helps.

I'd actually say that most of this post is inaccurate. No offense.

I've seen Volley Fire suppressing and pinning at medium range incredibly fast. Short range is basically a 2 second pin and rivals a Heavy Machine Gun. Squads will even be suppressed at long range.

Volley fire doesn't actually go away immediately if you switch targets. It is possible to suppress units after you've moved with Volley Fire.

I even had this situation go down:
1) Sturmpioneer comes up, I pop volley fire, pin him, he retreats.
2) I walk over to the cut-off point. Like five seconds later I see some volks coming at me. Volley fire was used like ~8 seconds ago.
3) Me firing on the volks suppresses them.

There's a lingering effect that allows you to suppress. My initial reaction to this new volley fire was "I guess I just need to run into the fog of war when I see it happen" but the suppression is so fast and it doesn't go away when you break line of sight!

I'd argue that Cover is a good counter. Cover and range used to mitigate this ability very well in the Alpha. That being said I've suppressed troops and that were in green cover without even needing to flank. Green cover can protect you but it's a gamble.

The only good counter right now to deal with Volley Fire is buildings pretty much. Buildings and vehciles.

I can't imagine that Rear Echelon spam is very good right now though. The cost of the ability is a little prohibitive.

Oh! And you can use Volley Fire while in a building. It's just something that you can do. I've stolen a building and then spammed Volley Fire out of it like ~5 times in a row and completely dominated one game.

The ability is out of control right now.
25 Jun 2014, 23:53 PM

I'd actually say that most of this post is inaccurate. No offense.

I've seen Volley Fire suppressing and pinning at medium range incredibly fast. Short range is basically a 2 second pin and rivals a Heavy Machine Gun. Squads will even be suppressed at long range.

Volley fire doesn't actually go away immediately if you switch targets. It is possible to suppress units after you've moved with Volley Fire.

I even had this situation go down:
1) Sturmpioneer comes up, I pop volley fire, pin him, he retreats.
2) I walk over to the cut-off point. Like five seconds later I see some volks coming at me. Volley fire was used like ~8 seconds ago.
3) Me firing on the volks suppresses them.

There's a lingering effect that allows you to suppress. My initial reaction to this new volley fire was "I guess I just need to run into the fog of war when I see it happen" but the suppression is so fast and it doesn't go away when you break line of sight!

I'd argue that Cover is a good counter. Cover and range used to mitigate this ability very well in the Alpha. That being said I've suppressed troops and that were in green cover without even needing to flank. Green cover can protect you but it's a gamble.

The only good counter right now to deal with Volley Fire is buildings pretty much. Buildings and vehciles.

I can't imagine that Rear Echelon spam is very good right now though. The cost of the ability is a little prohibitive.

Oh! And you can use Volley Fire while in a building. It's just something that you can do. I've stolen a building and then spammed Volley Fire out of it like ~5 times in a row and completely dominated one game.

The ability is out of control right now.

No offense taken. If i'm wrong I appreciate that someone corrects me.

I wasn't aware that volley fire was a lingering affect. I guess I assumed that you could only target 1 unit because when you activate it you need to select the target unit. if its a lingering affect then that should be changed. as for using it in buildings, i haven't come across that much yet. but then again this version of the game has only been out for 2 days so i figure we will all be learning new things very soon.

Now I know that if u use volley fire on 1 unit and another is close by it will pin them both. and that even after the suppressing weapon stops firing at them they will remain suppressed longer if they are still being fired at by other weapons.
26 Jun 2014, 00:06 AM

Right. Volley Fire seems to have an "AoE" component too. This is generally how suppression works. Areas hit by "suppressive fire" will add suppression to all enemies in them. Too much suppression and you get suppressed and then pinned.

This volley fire is so scary between it's potency, reliability, flexibility and even AoE component.
26 Jun 2014, 00:08 AM
Senior Editor Badge

pinned with volks, attack with Sturmpio or Kubel.
26 Jun 2014, 01:42 AM

Never be out of cover when facing volley fire. If you're at fairly mid to long range in green cover you shouldn't be suppressed. Be careful that you don't try to flank the squad while the volley fire is still active. Their guns will suppress you faster than you can flank so always stick to cover from multiple angles to burst that squad down.
26 Jun 2014, 03:17 AM

Keep in mind that Rear Echelon Squads do terrible damage, and are really awful at actually killing anything themselves. If you can avoid being pinned, you'll be fine.

That said, it's a good idea to keep squads near enough that if one squad is pinned you can assist somehow.
26 Jun 2014, 09:27 AM

If they are a healthy squad and I have a healthy squad (unless I'm in green cover and they aren't) I just instantly retreat, no need to get damage you can't return for no reason.
26 Jun 2014, 12:06 PM

Keep in mind that Rear Echelon Squads do terrible damage, and are really awful at actually killing anything themselves. If you can avoid being pinned, you'll be fine.

That said, it's a good idea to keep squads near enough that if one squad is pinned you can assist somehow.

that one will also get suppressed. volley fire doesnt target the squad to squad use the kubelwagon against the ami's early game as they have no real counter to it.
26 Jun 2014, 21:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jun 2014, 12:06 PMJaigen

that one will also get suppressed. volley fire doesnt target the squad to squad use the kubelwagon against the ami's early game as they have no real counter to it.

By the time you walk over there, the ability will have worn off. It only last what, 8 seconds?
27 Jun 2014, 00:28 AM
Patrion 15

Volley fire is blatantly OP, its a 20 muni I win button. It offers little to no counter play, if you catch an enemy, even at max range, they will be suppressed and eventually pinned and forced to retreat. IMO an easy fix would be to make the ability active only while stationary, and only allow it to suppress one unit. This would still be extremely powerful, without being a no brainer ability to limit opponents capping power in the early game.
27 Jun 2014, 00:49 AM

Volley fire is blatantly OP, its a 20 muni I win button. It offers little to no counter play, if you catch an enemy, even at max range, they will be suppressed and eventually pinned and forced to retreat. IMO an easy fix would be to make the ability active only while stationary, and only allow it to suppress one unit. This would still be extremely powerful, without being a no brainer ability to limit opponents capping power in the early game.

The counterplay is not panicking just because you're suppressed, using cover to delay the suppression/pinning and to keep other units in support.

Can we please stop petitioning Relic to nerf everything rather than actually trying to work around it? Reactionary patches are a bad way to go about balancing a game.
27 Jun 2014, 00:55 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

I honestly don't find it that bad, if you're a decent distance away you can usually make it to some cover. If not, move a second unit to support or retreat. If you have no other units nearby, you shouldn't have been banking on winning that engagement anyway.
27 Jun 2014, 11:11 AM

volly fire doesn't work on heavy cover

there's a tip
27 Jun 2014, 11:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jun 2014, 00:55 AMRomeo
I honestly don't find it that bad, if you're a decent distance away you can usually make it to some cover. If not, move a second unit to support or retreat. If you have no other units nearby, you shouldn't have been banking on winning that engagement anyway.

+1 Even without the WFA, sending out single squad of units always bears a risk
29 Jun 2014, 13:17 PM

Rear echelon in a building can volley fire in a 360 arc, suppressing all around (well, depends on the windows). It can also suppress multiple adjacent units.
29 Jun 2014, 23:17 PM
Patrion 15

The counterplay is not panicking just because you're suppressed, using cover to delay the suppression/pinning and to keep other units in support.

Can we please stop petitioning Relic to nerf everything rather than actually trying to work around it? Reactionary patches are a bad way to go about balancing a game.

So you sit in suppression...what the benefit in that? Your unit has no damage, and will stay suppressed as long as the RE squad continues firing on it. Even if you do keep other units around to support, this ability can suppress multiple squads, and while moving. My suggestion is simply to limit its use to one target, and make the RE squad stay stationary to get the benefit. This would maintain its usefulness in suppressing a key target, while making it less of a no brainer ability.

Also, in regard to the poster above, yes, VF does work against heavy cover, it just takes longer. VF is just one of the many tools that are putting the USF over the top right now, imo it needs to be toned down slightly and its really not that hard to see if you play enough 1v1s.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United States 2
United Kingdom 166
unknown 8

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak