Login

russian armor

Official Obersoldaten OP Thread

• This thread is locked
PAGES (15)down
24 Jun 2014, 11:59 AM
Patrion 14

What's funny is that so few people realise this is a joke thread. Isn't it?
24 Jun 2014, 12:05 PM

No, not more damage, but "less less damage".
Retreating squads get a .4 incoming accuracy modifier, meaning they only get hit by 40% of the shots that would usually hit them. The Obersoldaten habe a 1.25 accuracy vs retreating squads modifier, which means they deal half as much DPS vs retreating squads while all others deal 40%.
By now the modifier is so small it's almost neglectable. I agree that the idea of such a modifier is bad and I would prefer if it would be completely removed, yet like I said, it's probably not gamebreaking anymore.

Let me clarify: If you run (retreat) from Obersoldaten.
24 Jun 2014, 12:50 PM

I got to say that I find both Shock Troops and Assault Grens to be redundant compared to flame engineers, flame penals, and flame pioneers. Flamethrower >>>> SMGs

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jun 2014, 22:38 PMKatitof

The difference is, one of these fights using dildos and strap-ons for weapon and other one snipes you with LMG on the move while having accuracy bonus against retreating units.

A pair of obers will squadwipe every squad short of vetted shocks on retreat effortlessly.

Try wiping something with shocks that isn't MG42 team.
24 Jun 2014, 13:09 PM

What's funny is that so few people realise this is a joke thread. Isn't it?

aaa... no, I think it isn't....
24 Jun 2014, 13:12 PM

I got to say that I find both Shock Troops and Assault Grens to be redundant compared to flame engineers, flame penals, and flame pioneers. Flamethrower >>>> SMGs

I'm inclined to disagree there. Dedicated SMG infantry don't take munis away from you which could be used elsewhere (arty callins, aircraft etc). I've seen flame infantry prove effective, they're very powerful, but I find that SMGs are just more reliable, you know you can trust them to get in range and tear apart enemy infantry.
24 Jun 2014, 13:25 PM

^^
I use No mines for early game, only flamethrower upgrade. I like flamer penals and/or M3, and flamer pioneers + LMG Gren support the best.

IMO, Shock troops/Ass grens are expensive and annoying to reinforce (conscript merge) and need to get really close to actually do anything. Then once they get close, they do less DPS than PzG and LMG. SMGs also don't suppress and instakill like flamethrowers do.
24 Jun 2014, 13:54 PM

The only thing that's too powerful on them is the retreat killing modifier. That's really just not required and stupid. Apart from that, they seem balanced, it's a mid-late game powerful, exclusively anti-infantry unit, of course it should pack a punch, and if the OBW player builds his T3 early on to get them he's stuck with a building that otherwise has very costly units sans the Luchs.

Oh, and yeah the name is just stupid. What is this, Wolfenstein?
24 Jun 2014, 13:57 PM

Obersoldaten was a rank in the Wehrmacht but the funny Thing is it was an absolute noob-rank for Greenhorns while in the game they are described as Elite Units.
Vaz
24 Jun 2014, 21:10 PM

You didn't support them. They have a modifier to kill retreating units.

Sorry I didn't tell you everything I had. The support got completely trashed without killing a single man out of the enemy squad, which is why I hit retreat.
24 Jun 2014, 21:13 PM

*glances at KV-8*

Dude it's slow as fuck and slow as fuck.
You see it coming, you light up a cig and walk away.
Before patch it was pretty dangerous, now ppl just laugh with it.
24 Jun 2014, 22:13 PM

I find the STG44 upgrade a bit strange in a game that's meant to promote the use of cover.
24 Jun 2014, 22:17 PM

I'm not sure if the infra red is worth getting. 120 muni (180 muni equivalent) is a fortune for losing the LMG and replacing 2 rifles with 2 x STG44 IR.
24 Jun 2014, 22:21 PM

I'm not sure if the infra red is worth getting. 120 muni (180 muni equivalent) is a fortune for losing the LMG and replacing 2 rifles with 2 x STG44 IR.

Its 90 muni now.

Infrared ignores most of cover, so on map like Semoisky it is almost a must have(if not for the fact that fallshirms are almost OP there).
24 Jun 2014, 22:34 PM

Today I've noticed that Obersoldaten with this weapon upgrade have telescope on their STGs lol
27 Jun 2014, 16:53 PM

I just used Obers for the first times in Automatch. With the STG Laser weapon of death. And I must say they WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY outperform the old 440MP STs of yore.

They are a silly silly unit. I watched the replay and even though they have no armor their DPS is so goddamn high that they dont take alot of losses.

I even left one to die as he was surronded. He cost me 400MP 90 Muni. Before he died he did 860MP 60 Muni. Its like a goddamn suicide bomb against infantry. He was getting hit by Vet 2 Scripts, Flame Pio and a Guards squad in cover. AFTER he cleared a maxim out of the north building in Kholdney. He managed to KILL THEM ALL before he died.

The second engagment with my second squad they managed to do 640MP worth of damage (once again outnumbered) while taking 50MP worth of losses as he was actually in green cover this time.

Screwing around in a 4v4 I didnt even build anything until I got Obersoldaten out. So a good 1/3 of the game i did basically nothing. I ended up with the Second most damage done and the highest number of kills in game. Literally running around killing everything with a pair of them. Running headlong into a Mass of infantry and AT and clearing it all with two squads and almost no damage sustained.

Snipers? LOL yeah they snipe you....once then the range and DPS means before they can cloak both models are dead. Maxims? LOL no problem send in a volks squad and sit behind it and snipe the gunner again and again.

If these guys arent OP then I am just a super bad ass player because I dont really need to Macro alot of units or use combined arms. I can move three units through the map just leveling EVERYTHING in my path until my KT comes out and LOLs armor in the same way.

Obersoldaten with the upgrade are walking KV8s.
27 Jun 2014, 17:10 PM

That moment they drop their rifle and you pick it up with your shocktroops? Much love.
27 Jun 2014, 17:14 PM

Permanently Banned
Cry for Obersoldaten? Are delivered in 1 minute game? No! lol

Shocks, M3 1 minute in game, MaxPin! kills amounts too (and are old op's)...

Some players wanna the exterminator just for you use, not for the enemy...

And i not mention the new US forces, that rip the old germans, grens die 2 on 2...

With mixed army you fight with 2less problem, but i think the easy sov play mod was making trouble right now...

Try mix army to kill this Obersoldaten, they get pin too right?!

Use armor and-or mg... Just spam-no-cover style dont work! (for this obersoldaten)!!

Hey, but this is fault by the game balance, one 88mm shot dont kill inf (with the shot in the foot) but explode the tank of course... Soo, need discover what unit kill the ober's...

The Obersoldaten is not the first exterminator unit, the problem is that some weapons in the game have a strange use, comparing with real terms...

COH3 will be a card game. 1 unit kill that, other unit just kill the other, etc. 1 bullet explode someone, but versus that other are a ghost shot, etc.

27 Jun 2014, 17:34 PM

It doesnt matter if they are 1 minute because you start with Pgrens. They end infantry like a KV8. They cost no fuel like a KV8 does. Again they EASILY outperform STs when STs cost 440MP.

They lower the skill plateu because they are such a hard hard harrrd counter. You cant even retreat from them. Its the same issue Ost had with the old KV8 (which comes late as well)

They retreat kill almost everytime and they perform so well for cost its silly. I had no problem killing STs with them or anything else even Maxims and snipers.

Just having the ability to kill everything they come across even when horribly outnumbered is silly to me. If you dont see that I dont know what to tell you.

Maybe the KV8 needs to be buffed back up since it has no AT? And perhaps made non doctrinal with a 90 Muni upgrade called HELL FIRE that gets it back up to old pre nerf levels?

No because that would be OP...
27 Jun 2014, 18:37 PM

Jokes aside; you are not supposed to engage them with infantry, they are the hard counter to infantry. Against vehicles they are helpless and they only arrive at midgame. So I personally see no issue.
If you loose a squad, especially with the upgrade you are in serious trouble.

They are countered by M3 and M20 utility cars, if you don't have vehicles when they arrive or refuse to produce vehicles when they are on the field, it's your on fault.

+1 The cost to reinforce and the time to do so are also a big big annoyance.

Interesting that most of the people complaining are Soviet players, while the Soviets have Shocktroops. Ostheer had Panzergrenadiers which are not elite infantry.
27 Jun 2014, 19:05 PM

Dude it's slow as fuck and slow as fuck.
You see it coming, you light up a cig and walk away.
Before patch it was pretty dangerous, now ppl just laugh with it.

Tell that to the poor guys I BBQed on Stalingrad (which is now gone) or Cholodny. On narrow maps you can easily ambush infantry.
Anyways, I was referring to your statement. You can't tell me it is no ultimate infantry counter :)
PAGES (15)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS