Login

russian armor

Official Obersoldaten OP Thread

• This thread is locked
PAGES (15)down
24 Jun 2014, 04:13 AM

Long range weapons work. Suppressing works. The freaking m20 or quadmount m5 work. Its not like you wont have vehicles by the time one gets made.

Everything is more expensive - which means youll outnumber him. What happened to people complaining that four man squads get wiped too quick? Now people say a 4 man squad is too difficult to wipe?
24 Jun 2014, 04:58 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

No. Just no. Shock troops were an early call in and were effectively only countered by tanks(or German snipers) . They were destroying armored cars without loosing a model and just shitted over every cover mechanics due their armour.
Obersoldaten need the t4 truck, which is a expensive fuel investion. Thus they come in mid game but can be countered by t1 units.

I should had rephrase that: the comments here makes me remember the old shocktroops threads.
222 had a really lame DPS back then so it was hardcounter with FHT. MG42 also countered them (with 1 unit support to not get lolsmoked in the face).

Again, i don´t think they are OP and till i don´t get WF i can´t test it yet so it would be difficult to emit a correct opinion. At least they are not useless, that´s for sure :P
24 Jun 2014, 05:02 AM

The only real problem I have with them is the retreat killing modifiers. It's just wrong.
24 Jun 2014, 05:08 AM

The only real problem I have with them is the retreat killing modifiers. It's just wrong.

Thats one thing i can live without - the rest is counterable and bearable.You get more damage inflicted on you if you try to run. Er... what exactly is that trying to prove about OKW?
24 Jun 2014, 05:10 AM

It is like the Ork syndrome of DOWII, shoota + slugga boyz gets extra dmg on retreating unit.
24 Jun 2014, 05:23 AM

I should had rephrase that: the comments here makes me remember the old shocktroops threads.
222 had a really lame DPS back then so it was hardcounter with FHT. MG42 also countered them (with 1 unit support to not get lolsmoked in the face).

Yeah the good old FHT, I totally forgot it since they moved it to t3.
24 Jun 2014, 05:28 AM

I think people are overreacting with Obersoldaten.

They have no AT weapons and cost 50 manpower to reinforce per model lost. They're expensive and even when rushed can only be brought out around ~10 minutes into the game when light armor is easily available.

What are good counters to Obersoldaten?

Soviets:
  • Snipers can pick them apart and bleed 50 manpower per shot. A well supported sniper will keep Obersoldaten in check.
  • Any fast Tier 3 armored unit will limit Obersoldaten effectiveness. Quad M5, T-70, T-34/76. Take your pick.
  • Shock troops smash Obersoldaten at close range. Use ambush tactics and light of sight blocking terrain to close the distance. Smoke grenades can also earn you space.
  • PPSH Conscripts can also beat this unit but will require good ambush tactics.
  • Maxims can offer a soft counter with suppression but the Maxim will require support.

Americans:
  • Paratrooper squads with the M1918 LMG upgrade can fight evenly with Obersoldaten if not outmatch them. The Thompson variant will defeat them with ease if they ambush them
  • You can get an Anti-Air Halftrack out from Lieutenant Tech in 6 minutes or less. It is very easy to access light armor before Obersoldaten hit the field.
  • If you go Captain then you can use the robust Stuart Light Tank.
  • Obersoldaten get suppressed as easy as any other unit. The .50 Caliber HMG is the best MG in the game for suppression and damage. It can control Obersoldaten and force retreats.
  • Late game you can use M8A1 Howitzer Carriages to deal with Obersoldaten from a safe range. The M4 Sherman with HE rounds can also kill this squad in a matter of a few shots.

I feel like there are options available at all stages of the game to fight Obersoldaten. You have to understand the match up.

Obersoldaten are exceptionally strong in their niche. They are good at long and medium range against infantry. That's all they're good at.
24 Jun 2014, 05:28 AM

Yeah, people cried too much, now FHT is dead.
24 Jun 2014, 05:33 AM

I haven't lost a game against them yet but it could be because my opponents were not that great. I've been using Soviets and anti-infantry doct while going tier 2/3 to great effect.
24 Jun 2014, 05:44 AM

The 20mm HT is fragile, but performs very well- I suspect even better than the ostwind.

People whine about Anti-infantry, Infantry counters. Fun thing is, OkW Have no reliable Vehicle Anti-infantry, no the luchs does not count as it is super random, it either goes on a rampage, or tickles squads and dies just as fast as a Scout car (besides the immunity to small arms).
24 Jun 2014, 05:46 AM

The 20mm HT is fragile, but performs very well- I suspect even better than the ostwind.

Stupid phone autoposted.

Anyways, i think the 251/17 is very impressive. The American counterpart is also impressive, but fortunately for it, the dual 0.50 cals clip through slopes like normal bullets and doesnt get stuck through objects - as in its better at shooting infantry at higher/lower ground and behind obstacles while the 251/17 has to destroy everything to hit the target properly. But you can get a 251/17 REALLY early, so i dont have a problem with it.
24 Jun 2014, 06:39 AM

There should not be a unit that is 'the ultimate infantry counter'.

*glances at KV-8*
Vaz
24 Jun 2014, 07:55 AM

They have no AT weapons and cost 50 manpower to reinforce per model lost. They're expensive and even when rushed can only be brought out around ~10 minutes into the game when light armor is easily available.

Soviets:
  • Snipers can pick them apart and bleed 50 manpower per shot. A well supported sniper will keep Obersoldaten in check.
  • Any fast Tier 3 armored unit will limit Obersoldaten effectiveness. Quad M5, T-70, T-34/76. Take your pick.
  • Shock troops smash Obersoldaten at close range. Use ambush tactics and light of sight blocking terrain to close the distance. Smoke grenades can also earn you space.
  • Maxims can offer a soft counter with suppression but the Maxim will require support.

Americans:
  • Paratrooper squads with the M1918 LMG upgrade can fight evenly with Obersoldaten if not outmatch them. The Thompson variant will defeat them with ease if they ambush them
  • You can get an Anti-Air Halftrack out from Lieutenant Tech in 6 minutes or less. It is very easy to access light armor before Obersoldaten hit the field.
  • Obersoldaten get suppressed as easy as any other unit. The .50 Caliber HMG is the best MG in the game for suppression and damage. It can control Obersoldaten and force retreats.
  • Late game you can use M8A1 Howitzer Carriages to deal with Obersoldaten from a safe range. The M4 Sherman with HE rounds can also kill this squad in a matter of a few shots.

I feel like there are options available at all stages of the game to fight Obersoldaten. You have to understand the match up.

Obersoldaten are exceptionally strong in their niche. They are good at long and medium range against infantry. That's all they're good at.

I hit retreat on my 2 snipers when a blob of 4 were coming, they weren't in range when I hit retreat, they came into range during the short pause before the retreaters start moving, all 4 died, lol. I don't really want to use snipers on them unless they are suppressed.
24 Jun 2014, 08:44 AM
Patrion 14

You didn't support them. They have a modifier to kill retreating units.
24 Jun 2014, 08:55 AM

Soviets:

Americans:

That's the biggest problem for tham, they are not versatile, first better AI tank and they have nothing to do against them and only snipers or very close inf can deal with them
24 Jun 2014, 09:20 AM

They can fire their lmg on the move. Therefore kiting them with snipers is not a clever move. You really have to use snipers with support firing behind your main force. Don't move snipers alone if you know there are 4 obers on the field.

24 Jun 2014, 10:33 AM

Thats one thing i can live without - the rest is counterable and bearable.You get more damage inflicted on you if you try to run. Er... what exactly is that trying to prove about OKW?

No, not more damage, but "less less damage".
Retreating squads get a .4 incoming accuracy modifier, meaning they only get hit by 40% of the shots that would usually hit them. The Obersoldaten habe a 1.25 accuracy vs retreating squads modifier, which means they deal half as much DPS vs retreating squads while all others deal 40%.
By now the modifier is so small it's almost neglectable. I agree that the idea of such a modifier is bad and I would prefer if it would be completely removed, yet like I said, it's probably not gamebreaking anymore.
24 Jun 2014, 10:48 AM
Senior Caster Badge

You can't just look at the raw cost efficiency of Obersoldaten, there's much more influences that fit into the dynamic.
24 Jun 2014, 11:34 AM

The add-on's download barely finished and there is allready an OP acusation topic. LOL this is to good. You guys are incredible, my word. I realy hope nobody take these topics creators to seriously before few weeks of game play pass.
24 Jun 2014, 11:44 AM
Patrion 14

The add-on's download barely finished and there is allready an OP acusation topic. LOL this is to good. You guys are incredible, my word. I realy hope nobody take these topics creators to seriously before few weeks of game play pass.

many people here have been playing alpha for month+...

this is just carry over of one of the thread from alpha forum to coh2.org forum.
PAGES (15)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS