Login

russian armor

T-70 Recon mode

11 Jun 2014, 09:36 AM

First of all I think you should watch this match as its pretty fun:

I was enjoying the game but one of the hosts kept on hinting at the T-70 recon mode when it hits vet 2 and once the video gets to 21:47 you get to see it in action, so I was pretty much like this as I watch the stream:

Yeeeah that needs a nerf ASAP as you could see 25% of the map with it.

-----
However it gotten me thinking about how this could be a good thing if it was toned down and not fully removed, I tired to use the T-70 recon mode during the CoH2 Alpha but felt a lil bit lacklustre as you could not use the main gun. One of the things that I was excited about CoH2 for was the true sight system which sadly was not as revolutionary as I wanted as due the low sight range of pretty much every unit, the "sight blockers" only really worked if a unit was chasing another unit around a building. However with this current OP recon mode you get to see True Sight in action (as one of the hosts gleeful points out).

Whilst the current T-70 recon mode need a nerf I think it would be a cool thing to give Soviet and Ostheer units with a recon mode as this would open more things that the factions could do (both Sov and Ost have on paper great indirect fire units but they cant really use them as a lack of a spotter), so what I would like to see is:

-Both snipers units are able to use a recon mode using binoculars where they are unable to fire, although the German Sniper has a bigger LoS to make up for the fact that is combat power is not as a good as the Soviet one.

-The 221 Scout Car should have passive recon mode but it scales heavily with vet more so than the T70 so it not too overwhelming in tier 2.

-To keep things balanced, recon mode should work like spotting scopes as when the unit is moving it only slightly increasing the LoS but unlike spotting scopes as when the unit is stationary the LoS increases slowly over time taking a whilst a few seconds to get full LoS increase to make chasing the recon unit have impact.

-To counter it a player could use smoke as other than using the Panzer Smoke it always felt limited (mostly due to the short LoS), so it could use some buffs. All PURE artillery pieces can now fire smoke shells/rockets (from the German leFH 18 to the Katyusha) and smoke shells should work over time expanding the smoke cloud before it fades away.

This may sound like a lot of changes but just watch the video again, yes the T-70 in its current state needs to be nerfed hard but think about how interesting it would be if both factions had access to REAL recon units, using True Sight and being able to counter that with smoke...
11 Jun 2014, 10:00 AM
Patrion 27

http://www.coh2.org/topic/12348/t70-veteran-3-recon-mode./page/1#post_id108751

December 23, 2013 :)

Seeing one match with good T70 use and you're calling for a nerf? T34 is much tougher for its' cost and the T70 is a niche unit.
11 Jun 2014, 10:02 AM

Actually T-70 is not worth its costs. For this high price it should have some good abilities imo.
11 Jun 2014, 10:03 AM
Benefactor 115

The unit has been like this since the Vet overhaul back in October 2013 :D I just love how a lot of stuff gets slept on by the player base.
11 Jun 2014, 10:07 AM

A vet 3 221/222 scout car with spotting scopes can see even further.
11 Jun 2014, 10:08 AM
Patrion 27

A vet 3 221/222 scout car with spotting scopes can see even further.

Apples & Oranges

Also doctrinal and a completely different faction.
11 Jun 2014, 10:11 AM

Apples & Oranges

Not really, a 222 and a T70 have a lot of overlapping abilities.
11 Jun 2014, 10:57 AM

I agree it needs a vision reduction. I'd like to see it kept powerful so the unit can serve a late game function but at the moment it's ludicrous.
11 Jun 2014, 11:09 AM

I always thought that nerfs in some sense had to do with how many people are using the unit getting nerfed. It is ridiculous to call on a nerf for a unit that only one player uses.
11 Jun 2014, 11:20 AM

Reckon tank providing reckon is OP thread.

I'm literally speechless.

German AC can do exactly the same with spotting scopes, far earlier and for much less.
11 Jun 2014, 11:26 AM

holy shit. Now i think i've seen everything....

Guess you do really hate combined arms do you?
11 Jun 2014, 11:35 AM

I like the t70 recon mode. I use it a lot.

My only 'Solution' to this would be to give more units LoS improvements and recon modes for more vehicles. To be fair in real life you cant see shit inside a tank, so its pretty realistic. Jeeps etc could be more useful.

It also makes use of the true sight which looks so so good, but isn't used to its max potential in my belief.

If infantry had more LoS it might be another reason to use combined arms. I know at the moment this works, but it would be even better if it worked to a greater extent. I had a lovely engagement using the T70 recon and inf and at guns to fight against a mechanised german assualt on langres 1v1. When the halftrack blew up in the middle to smoke billowed out and covered my LoS on his P4, which was cool. I had to maneuver my T70 and inf to get the LoS back and that was all down to the true sight. If we didnt have the T70 recon, it wouldn't have been the same.

11 Jun 2014, 12:09 PM
Honorary Member Badge

folks this is a classic example of...

The unit has been like this since the Vet overhaul back in October 2013 :D I just love how a lot of stuff gets slept on by the player base.

quote for truthiness. ipkai must be feeling pretty good. :)

my reaction...

but seriously its very difficult to get a t70 to vet 2 the window is super tiny and there is no elite troops to do it the dirty way soo tbh i think you should get highly rewarded for doing so.
11 Jun 2014, 13:23 PM

If you think that t70 has a huge view distance, you should try a scope on a vet 3 scout car. This thing is unholy
11 Jun 2014, 13:25 PM

If you think that t70 has a huge view distance, you should try a scope on a vet 3 scout car. This thing is unholy

Yea, on langers you can pretty much park it in your base and see whats happening in opponents base if there are no LOS blockers.
11 Jun 2014, 16:06 PM

T70 blows. Poor AI, poor AA. Zzz.
11 Jun 2014, 16:07 PM

Hey I am ALL FOR this! Lets just make it regular recon mode. And INSTEAD at Vet 2 give it 30% more armor! MVGame.
11 Jun 2014, 16:16 PM

Hey I am ALL FOR this! Lets just make it regular recon mode. And INSTEAD at Vet 2 give it 30% more armor! MVGame.

Reminds me of the old vet system where I had a Vet 3 T-70 and it killed a new Panzer IV one-on-one :clap:
11 Jun 2014, 16:23 PM

The only nerf that T70 recon mode needs is that you should not be able to instantly stop it and get "the best of both worlds" by having insane vision as well as being able to fire at will if you run into anything unexpectedly. The vision provided is fine and is mirrored by many abilities in the game.

11 Jun 2014, 16:33 PM

Agreed, the T-70 only had a 2 man crew, and the guy in the turret is the recon-mode guy. It makes sense that he'll need a second to get situated when he needs to duck back into the turret.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★