Login

russian armor

Bobby "Lynx" Miller employed at Sega

PAGES (11)down
21 Feb 2013, 18:19 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Lets focus on those I already presented, shall we?

Those jumping figures also correspond to overall increasing popularity of the game due to sales and mouth-to-mouth advertising of SNF. One cant easily distinguish between those and facebook and twitter messages by THQLynx.

As soon as Lynx posted a link to the SNF stream on the CoH social media. Viewernumbers went up 50-100% instantly each week. Seem clear enough to me, how about you? ;)

The misinformation does not deal with the boundaries of the statements, its rather about the correctness, which is what the average reader cares about.

Like he would say that THQ was going bankrupt.. I highly doubt Lynx new much more about the situation then we did. He said what he was allowed to say with the knowledge that he had at this point. If you were the CM at that time, and you'd say that THQ was going down. You would've been fired. It's always easy to point afterwards, saying that Lynx gave 'false' information. I'm pretty sure you would've done the same if you were in his place.

There are more solutions to solving maphacking than a section on GR.

As Tommy said.. We would LOVE to hear your fantastic solution mate..

21 Feb 2013, 19:26 PM

21 Feb 2013, 19:48 PM

Ignoring the sarcastic last remark by GeneralHell (and Tommy), I have to express my appreciation of the fact you guys stick up for one another, it shows loyalty. However, you shouldnt be blind to the complexity of correlation between SNF viewers and various events. Its nice you grant THQLynx all the credits, but its just not correct.

Its fair to say that THQLynx's posts on the financial situation of THQ were clear understatements, which were close to an insult of the intelligence of the average reader. Now, as a listed firm, that knowledge you speak off, was public information. If I take your own argumentation as a standard, one could argue that the excuses "I was not allowed" and "I will loose my job", are proper answers to any question. This is not the case. There are more options than stating "there is nothing to worry about", which will be allowed and maintain the given job.

21 Feb 2013, 20:00 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Ignoring the sarcastic last remark by GeneralHell (and Tommy), I have to express my appreciation of the fact you guys stick up for one another, it shows loyalty. However, you shouldnt be blind to the complexity of correlation between SNF viewers and various events. Its nice you grant THQLynx all the credits, but its just not correct.

Not gonna argue with you on this point anymore. You don't have to believe me. But since I was part of the organisation of SNF, I know what I'm talking about ;)

Its fair to say that THQLynx's posts on the financial situation of THQ were clear understatements, which were close to an insult of the intelligence of the average reader.

This is just your personal opinion. I find that Lynx' comments about the situation were fine. Not a fact, I just understood why he did it.

Now, as a listed firm, that knowledge you speak off, was public information.

Then why go after Lynx so much. You had the information yourself, do with it what you want and draw your own conclusions. The man was only doing his job. Can't blame him for that.
21 Feb 2013, 20:11 PM

Aaron Kaufman's actions spoke louder than the hollow words of a corporate puppet.
He left THQ.

Assessing THQLynx performance as a CM in a vacuum is meaningless.
Relative to other CM's such as APOC i'd say THQLynx was average.

Notice Apoc never got caught up in quoting about the fantastic financial situation of THQ?

There is nothing wrong with being average. But, because the CoH community is so small any kind of support seems "great."

but its over now...
ntd
21 Feb 2013, 20:16 PM
Admin Black Badge

I'm an idiot

Finally we agree on something!
21 Feb 2013, 20:25 PM

Nicely paraphrased, NTD! ;)

Riddler, based on your examples, it's quite obvious you weren't an active member of the community whilst Lynx and SNF were around; in other words, you don't know what you're talking about.

I can't help but think that both you and Findlay just want attention by going against the grain. Come on, guys! Enough is enough.
21 Feb 2013, 20:47 PM

Its fair to say that THQLynx's posts on the financial situation of THQ were clear understatements, which were close to an insult of the intelligence of the average reader. Now, as a listed firm, that knowledge you speak off, was public information. If I take your own argumentation as a standard, one could argue that the excuses "I was not allowed" and "I will loose my job", are proper answers to any question. This is not the case. There are more options than stating "there is nothing to worry about", which will be allowed and maintain the given job.

So, just to clarify, all your statements before about 'he should've done more' are basically without any solid suggestion of what that 'more' should have been?

'Don't give me problems, give me solutions.'
21 Feb 2013, 20:56 PM

Lets focus on those I already presented, shall we?
There are more solutions to solving maphacking than a section on GR.

NICE!

Finally someone will come up with the final solution to maphacking and other cheating stuff.

To all those guys that don't like the idea of having Lnyx as CM, I really want to know the exact reasons for that. I mean, he must have done something really really horrible to you, when basically all the rest of the community really wants him back as CM.

I mean, it's not like we (that want him back) are all ignorants and fanboys. There are a lot of reasons why we want him back so badly.

I personally want him back. He did a great job and really cared about us.
21 Feb 2013, 21:06 PM

Riddler, based on your examples, it's quite obvious you weren't an active member of the community whilst Lynx and SNF were around; in other words, you don't know what you're talking about.

I can't help but think that both you and Findlay just want attention by going against the grain. Come on, guys! Enough is enough.

I was and still am actively playing the game, watch replays, streams and SNF. But none of this is relevant, as I give an objective opinion, as opposed to those that know THQLynx and cant seperate friendship from facts. Its understandable and quite common, but hardly an objective view on THQLynx's performance as community manager.

If I wanted attention, I would have posted more often, participated in stream chats, possibly stream my own games, applied for forum positions, be named IronRoman (just kidding), etc etc. However, if you still think I aim for attention and it bothers you, there is no need for you to reply to my views, nor read them.

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2013, 20:47 PMTommy

So, just to clarify, all your statements before about 'he should've done more' are basically without any solid suggestion of what that 'more' should have been?

'Don't give me problems, give me solutions.'

If you read back you would notice that my main point was not about THQLynx "doing more", but about "doing it wrong". Next to that, I made several suggestions. In fact, you replied to some of them in agreement. Other than that, I did sense the sarcastic tone when you asked for my solutions. If there are problems, and you acknowledge them, I dont understand why the community manager shouldnt join in with solutions...?
21 Feb 2013, 21:15 PM

However, you shouldnt be blind to the complexity of correlation between SNF viewers and various events. Its nice you grant THQLynx all the credits, but its just not correct.

You don't seem to understand what GeneralHell was saying. He wasn't saying that this season got a lot more viewers and that is because of Lynx. He said that there was a spike of viewers whenever he announced it on social media (Company Of Heroes group on Facebook got 311k likes, so it shows up on a big amount of feeds) which is true. Just as a fan and viewer of SNF, I saw how Lynx said in the chat "I'll go announce this" and as soon as the announcement went up, viewers started going up in the 100's. This happened sometimes mid show when the viewers were around for example, 800. Then it was posted on Facebook and it went up 1100.

If it was the start off the show the correlation would be a bit harder to prove. But when the audience stops at a certain number and only goes up and down slightly for a long amount of time, to only spike upwards at the same time he announces it on Facebook... the correlation is quite clear.
21 Feb 2013, 21:41 PM

"against the grain"

the admin was unwilling to challenge any of my points directly...

what by saying over a year ago THQ is going down and this will cause problems with the release of CoH2.
-every CoH fan boy was all over me for that. :)
-Brian Farrell and Jason Rubin played the fan boys like a finely tuned violin.
(and then THQ went down)

by saying SC2 is a decent game.
- it was released 3 years ago and is still has a big player base

by saying Aaron Kaufman was a better CM than THQLynx

THQLynx was "ok", but his parroting of the company line became laughable

just keeping it real.

u guys are good for a laugh though

21 Feb 2013, 22:14 PM

I dont know if your timeframe and numbers are correct here RagingJenni, but if they are, they really dont favor your argument.

-Those that responded to this announcement "instantly" by joining the stream, would have had a high probability of joining the stream anyway.
-The "hundreds" that joined might seem significant, when compared to the number of current viewers, however, they are not compared to the number of facebook likes (ofcourse the number was less back then, but probably still high).
-As a regular viewer of SNF I noticed a different viewer time distribution. Viewer spikes of "hundreds" are not that uncommon.
-What other things occured that might have caused spikes (other streams ending, CoH servers going down off and on)?
-To what extent did earlier announcements affect the number of viewers?
-Were the announcements made at or close to a specific time (breaks between matches, on the hour)
-How many announcements were made (did it occur multiple months or just one week)?
-Truely, without proper data, its impossible to establish the type of correlation you claim.

Apart from all this, I simply cant be in favor of a community manager, whos main achievements (as mentioned time and time again in this thread) are posting links on social media and being a nice guy.

I noticed I have different standards than most of you (WmD) guys and thats perfectly fine.
21 Feb 2013, 22:26 PM

Whats so special about THQLynx anyway? Looking at the size of that "office", his influence cant be too extreme....

Here you pretty much state yourself that you're unaware of who this "Lynx" guy is. You probably just found out about him after the whole commotion started to settle. I remember this was one of your first, if not first, posts, so while you might play it all sarcastically now, I know better than to believe you.

THQ was expecting to be bought by Clearlake, which would have resulted in little to no change to their schedule. Unfortunately, there was an unexpected turn of events. That is all. Hindsight is 20/20; you're not fooling anyone by pretending to have known everything all along.

As for you Findlay, weren't you the guy that created that thread about how Relic wasn't bought and so COH2 is being abandoned? Yeah, you're not worth my time...
21 Feb 2013, 22:28 PM

Except you still haven't made clear what those standards are. Sure, if you've got a legitimate grievance. But right now it comes across as complaining for the sake of complaining, you can come up with nothing that definitively should have been done 'better' or 'more' (less misinformation, more anti cheat etc doesn't really cut it) . If you have, then please restate them as a series of clear points just so that we're clear what your qualities for the perfect CM are and how Lynx fell so incredibly foul of them.

By the way, remarkably, I would still be making these points regardless of clan, isn't that incredible?
21 Feb 2013, 22:51 PM
Honorary Member Badge

I dont know if your timeframe and numbers are correct here RagingJenni, but if they are, they really dont favor your argument.

-Those that responded to this announcement "instantly" by joining the stream, would have had a high probability of joining the stream anyway.
-The "hundreds" that joined might seem significant, when compared to the number of current viewers, however, they are not compared to the number of facebook likes (ofcourse the number was less back then, but probably still high).
-As a regular viewer of SNF I noticed a different viewer time distribution. Viewer spikes of "hundreds" are not that uncommon.
-What other things occured that might have caused spikes (other streams ending, CoH servers going down off and on)?
-To what extent did earlier announcements affect the number of viewers?
-Were the announcements made at or close to a specific time (breaks between matches, on the hour)
-How many announcements were made (did it occur multiple months or just one week)?
-Truely, without proper data, its impossible to establish the type of correlation you claim.

Apart from all this, I simply cant be in favor of a community manager, whos main achievements (as mentioned time and time again in this thread) are posting links on social media and being a nice guy.

I noticed I have different standards than most of you (WmD) guys and thats perfectly fine.

Do you even read my comments? Seriously.. There is no point in discussiing anything with you is there? Why can't you just accept the simple fact that whenever Lynx posted up a reminder about the show on FB/Twitter, viewer numbers went up with atleast 50%. This is a fact. All your statements are purely hypothetical and have relevance whatsoever with this discussion.

Anyway I'm done with this discussion. You obviously don't understand how much of a good job he did. We should be happy to have him as the CM for Company of Heroes. He truly cares about the game and us as a community. If you don't want to believe that, that's fine by me. I'm just glad to have him back as the CM :)
21 Feb 2013, 22:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2013, 22:28 PMTommy
(less misinformation, more anti cheat etc doesn't really cut it)

Well cuts it for me more than giving away Beta keys to some inner circle society, sharing a link in Facebook, chit chatting in clan Vents etc. That two aspects which is not important for you actually written or should be in his job description. Give anti cheating job to some guys in GR and when they overwhelmed or COH2 in the horizon, dump it, give false information but hey- he copy-paste-entered a link and he gave us Beta keys.

If community means 10-15 guys in the spotlight then yeah, get Lynx back for the community.

Fiy; I had the key for COH2 so I'm not jealous or something.
22 Feb 2013, 13:22 PM

I realize I am "the bad guy" now, but its remarkable how this turned around. I tried to give constructive criticism on THQLynx's performance as community manager. To some of you my suggestions arent good enough. That is fine, but on the other hand, none of you have specified why you think he was a good cummunity manager and why he should be reappointed, since posting social media links and "caring about us" are still very vague arguments as well and can not be considered serious achievements that seperate one community manager from another.

Here you pretty much state yourself that you're unaware of who this "Lynx" guy is. You probably just found out about him after the whole commotion started to settle. I remember this was one of your first, if not first, posts, so while you might play it all sarcastically now, I know better than to believe you.

I made it very clear I am an active participant of the community, and as such, I was and still am on the GR fora as well. Next to that, the number of forum posts should not be a benchmark for a forum comment. To me, the "Lynx-for-community-manager" campaign seemed a nice initiative of his community friends, but hardly well deserved or a good representation of the combined feelings of the community. Given the overall agreement by the previous posters (mainly known CoH1 players and/or community friends of Lynx), I simply wanted to express the view of other, less vocal, players.

Do you even read my comments? Seriously.. There is no point in discussiing anything with you is there? Why can't you just accept the simple fact that whenever Lynx posted up a reminder about the show on FB/Twitter, viewer numbers went up with atleast 50%. This is a fact. All your statements are purely hypothetical and have relevance whatsoever with this discussion.

I do read your comments GeneralHell, but I tried to explain several times there is more to your observation than meets the eye. No offense, but given your average posts and usual stream chat commentary I do not expect you to accept and/or understand this. Lets just agree to disagree, for the sake of the forum atmosphere.
22 Feb 2013, 13:52 PM

There's a correlation. I used to study sociology and am very sceptical of numerical evidence and correlation claimed because of that. Most correlation claimed by people (esp on the internet and when it comes to gaming) is usually wishful thinking or hyperbolic to prove a point, but here it exists. To be brutally honest, the Company of Heroes community is not large enough to host enough different reasons as to why the viewers would go up several times after Lynx posted about it on Facebook. It happened consistently and it's saved statistics provided to those who run the SNF twitch channel. Now there could be different reasons, but those are few. The only ones that I can think of that would spike the viewership up that much is:

*A big amount of people getting to their computer, which would happen if this show was scheduled on a work day for example, it's not though. This would also be set to a specific time (as in, one hour in people usually came in to watch) but IIRC, Lynx did announce it at different times from week to week and the spikes were at different times, so that argument is dismissable.

*A stream ending, the most probable reason, but there are not many streams that have enough viewers to provide such a spike and for that to be a reason they had to quit every single time within a few minutes after Lynx announced it on twitter, which is incredibly improbable.

*RO going down. Same reasoning as for the stream, I doubt RO went down within minutes of the announcement being made consistently.

There can be no 100% truth taken in this. Within sociology though, a 95% chance of being right is enough for it to be used as evidence since there is always a margin of error. I would say this have a smaller than 5% chance of being wrongful. The amount of timing and luck required to attribute the spikes to something else is just so much that it's easily dismiss able as a extreme improbability.

So just drop that argument, please.
22 Feb 2013, 14:03 PM
Honorary Member Badge

To be fair, a big factor in increasing the viewer count on SNF this season was that SNF was temporarily featured on the twitch.tv frontpage.

But Lynx initiative to help make it visible through facebook and twitter surely had its influence as well.
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Korea, Republic Of 4
unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak