Login

russian armor

Bobby "Lynx" Miller employed at Sega

PAGES (11)down
21 Feb 2013, 00:14 AM
Benefactor 115

I like the game, I like the community and I want to see it get bigger. I don't believe I am shiling myself because I have a job and this is just a hobby for me and I have actually given up a substantial amount of time and money to help organise events for the community to take part in.
21 Feb 2013, 00:15 AM

Relic is still looking for a community manager.
21 Feb 2013, 00:28 AM

Listen guys..let me break it down for you

Previous "lack" of sales numbers
(COH plus it's 2 expansions sold about 4 million total.
500,000 of that was in the last few months in the "Humble Bundle")

Relic's current silent treatment
(Hello... anyone wanna be the CM? Its open!)

Command & Conquer's upcoming release
Starcraft's Heart of the Swarm release
(Both ranked higher than COH in the rts community)

COH2's lousy hype
(some have called "anti-hype)

COH2 will be lucky to sell 500,000 units
21 Feb 2013, 00:29 AM

tongues up bums

I too, am confused by this statement. Lynx has been an enormous help to, as far as I can tell, pretty much anyone who asked for it. He's promoted SNF on FB and Twitter, he gave me and all the other casters (who asked) beta keys to give away on casts, active on the forums dealing with everyone's concerns (as much as was allowed)....

I don't know what you think was missing exactly, but why don't you let us, and him, know here? (I'm not being facetious, I'm curious as to what you think he hasn't been doing in his role as CM)
21 Feb 2013, 00:33 AM

his blind following of THQ's party line proved to be a bad move.
i think Aaron Kaufman was a better CM.
No surprise "Apoc" was smart enough to get while the getting was good.
21 Feb 2013, 00:42 AM

i think Aaron Kaufman was a better CM.
No surprise "Apoc" was smart enough to get while the getting was good.

Now that is a guy with street smarts!
21 Feb 2013, 00:47 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2013, 00:42 AMKillian

Now that is a guy with street smarts!

he did it twice.
once with C&C and once with THQ/WWE
21 Feb 2013, 03:06 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Are you promoting the game for everyone or are you shilling yourselves?

This is ridiculous. Nobody would put in the effort it takes to run something a CoH tournament to "shill themselves." Anyone who wants to be an attention whore would've abandoned CoH long ago for much greener pastures. Starcraft II, LoL, DotA... even something relatively small like Dawn of War II was (and is?) much more popular than CoH in terms of views and stuff online.
21 Feb 2013, 07:22 AM

Relic is still looking for a community manager.

Do you base this affirmation on the Relic website available positions ?
because if so, I can affirm that Relic still belongs to THQ too... based on the Relic website...
21 Feb 2013, 08:25 AM
Benefactor 115

This is ridiculous. Nobody would put in the effort it takes to run something a CoH tournament to "shill themselves." Anyone who wants to be an attention whore would've abandoned CoH long ago for much greener pastures. Starcraft II, LoL, DotA... even something relatively small like Dawn of War II was (and is?) much more popular than CoH in terms of views and stuff online.

Mostly true except for DoW2, there were hardly any casters or events taking place. The game currently only peaks at about 1000-2000 online at any one time.
21 Feb 2013, 14:08 PM

Do you base this affirmation on the Relic website available positions ?
because if so, I can affirm that Relic still belongs to THQ too... based on the Relic website...

so, Relic engages in the deceptive business practice of advertising for positions that do not exist.

time to call Industry Canada and the BC Ministry of Labour and get them on the case!

nice company this Relic.
:)
21 Feb 2013, 14:18 PM

BC is so left wing, I bet they have a Ministry of Information.
Let's call them too!!
21 Feb 2013, 14:39 PM

The job ad appeared very recently, so I doubt its fraudulent.
Had the job posting been sitting on the site for 5 years then maybe management just forgot about it. But, this is not the case.
21 Feb 2013, 15:03 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Mostly true except for DoW2, there were hardly any casters or events taking place. The game currently only peaks at about 1000-2000 online at any one time.

You probably know better than me - I was just going off the view counts on my DoW II vs CoH videos. I made a few DoW II videos just for fun without putting any effort into them and they got way more views than my CoH videos, so I figured DoW II was hot stuff. If it's died off though, then I guess it doesn't count. It's a shame that we don't have more RTS games that are popular like SC2.
21 Feb 2013, 15:03 PM

@Tychus, You're Mr Strawman to me now.

You probably know better than me - I was just going off the view counts on my DoW II vs CoH videos. I made a few DoW II videos just for fun without putting any effort into them and they got way more views than my CoH videos, so I figured DoW II was hot stuff. If it's died off though, then I guess it doesn't count. It's a shame that we don't have more RTS games that are popular like SC2.

My thought on that would be that since there have been generally so few casters for DoW 2, those who did cast got a lot of views. Right now there are practically 3 casters were one just started out, and the two others got a little over 2k subs and 4k subs respectively. compared to the average CoH cast that might be pretty good, but then there isn't really the options when it comes to casters in the dow2scene that Company of heroes got.
21 Feb 2013, 16:01 PM

So far he has not shown himself to be a community manager with an eye for the interests of the community as a a whole. He has taken the easy option of being the friend of the experts.

This could backfire.

My point exactly earlier in this thread. Just because some parts of the community are more vocal than others, do not necessarily make them correct.

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2013, 00:29 AMTommy
I don't know what you think was missing exactly, but why don't you let us, and him, know here? (I'm not being facetious, I'm curious as to what you think he hasn't been doing in his role as CM)

So you think posting links on twitter and facebook are his primary tasks..? Its hard enough to proof that even affected popularity of the game and/or SNF. Next to that, more activity on fora is always appreciated (that excludes misinformation on financial situations, the name of his dog, the food he likes etc.). Adressing serious issues like maphacking and organizing tournaments is what the unknown part of the community expects.
21 Feb 2013, 16:01 PM

SC2 is only popular because it's the religion of the South Korean super race.

True story.
21 Feb 2013, 16:37 PM

So you think posting links on twitter and facebook are his primary tasks..? Its hard enough to proof that even affected popularity of the game and/or SNF. Next to that, more activity on fora is always appreciated (that excludes misinformation on financial situations, the name of his dog, the food he likes etc.). Adressing serious issues like maphacking and organizing tournaments is what the unknown part of the community expects.

Every time a link went up on FB, SNF viewer figures jumped noticeably by several hundred.

Accusations of misinformation are redundant, everything that was allowed to be said was said and no more. I don't believe there were any threads that went unanswered while he was CM where he was capable of giving an answer that nobody else was.

Maphacking was dealt with effectively and quickly while the Fair Play forum was active on GR.

So besides not single handedly taking on the organisation and funding for a tournament, do you have any further suggestions?
21 Feb 2013, 17:52 PM

Lets focus on those I already presented, shall we?

Those jumping figures also correspond to overall increasing popularity of the game due to sales and mouth-to-mouth advertising of SNF. One cant easily distinguish between those and facebook and twitter messages by THQLynx.

The misinformation does not deal with the boundaries of the statements, its rather about the correctness, which is what the average reader cares about.

There are more solutions to solving maphacking than a section on GR.

The tournament you are aiming at (if I am not mistaken) was poorly organized, as agreed on by many participants.

Once again, if you think that funding a tournament is what the community manager's job is about, you uphold a different standard than the unknown part of the community. Financing is usually a very non-operating activity, as measured in both effort and time. Surely, a couple hundered dollars doesn't impress you...and me.

21 Feb 2013, 18:05 PM

Actually, when viewer figures consistently go skywards minutes after posting week after week, I'd say that's a decent correlation.

If one is not allowed to say something for the good of the company (and the safety of one's job), then what do you expect?

If you have a solution to maphacking that hasn't been tried already, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to hear it!

My reference to tournaments was a reference to you saying that he should do more to 'organise tournaments'- the only THQ tourneys were pretty crap yeah, but...they also weren't run by him. They weren't even run from the same continent...You were the one who said the CM should be organizing tournaments, not me!
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS